Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pastrami

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 63
marxbro

• Total Posts: 19
Pastrami Thu, 06/30/05 2:20 PM (permalink)
Los Angeles has the best pastrami in the US. Langers.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
    RE: Pastrami Thu, 06/30/05 3:44 PM (permalink)
    That's a pretty strong statement, but I lack the expertise & therefore the inclination to argue the point. Have you checked other brands and locations, though? NYC seems to get the most high ratings.

I haven't access to decent pastrami where I live, so my question has to be, "Where can I order good pastrami?" And for that matter, corned beef? (Haven't had the nerve to try to corn my own.)

Sundancer7

RE: Pastrami Thu, 06/30/05 3:51 PM (permalink)
      I am by no means a corned beef expert but I have had good corned beef in Milwaukee, Chicago and NYC. Knoxville, TN does not know what good corned beef is but I bought a beef that had been corned at Walmart. I cooked by their directions and it was excellent. I first sampled it hot out of the oven but even after I pulled it out of the frige and reheated it, it was very good. I think it was around five pounds and it had all the spices floating around the clear plastic package.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6229
        RE: Pastrami Thu, 06/30/05 4:01 PM (permalink)
        That is a pretty strong statement since the East Coast and especially NYC is famous for pastrami and corned beef. RickF, I'm sure that Katz's Deli or Carnegie Deli would ship pastrami. Lucky girl that I am, my uncle lives in Michigan and I just got my 4th of July "Care Package" from Zingerman's Deli!!! Pastrami, corned beef, kosher dill pickles, rye bread, kraut.....
        you can order online at www.zingermans.com

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17828
          RE: Pastrami Thu, 06/30/05 4:07 PM (permalink)
          I'd suggest relaxing just a bit. There's excellent pastrami available all over these days. I get pastrami in a Central Ohio kosher market that is the equal to any I've had in New York.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Pastrami Thu, 06/30/05 4:09 PM (permalink)
            LA has some great pastrami ... somehow, perhaps via presentation, the experience is different than the NYC experience. (The Hat, for example.)

There is a new place here in Seattle (Factoria? Goldblums?) ... anybody have any experience with them?

007bond-jb

• Total Posts: 923
              RE: Pastrami Fri, 07/1/05 12:05 PM (permalink)
              I make my own pastrami at home Its easy. Emeril has a recipe on [url][/url]www.foodtv.com But he starts out making a corned beef 1st. I just buy a corned beef then follow the rest of the recipe

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                RE: Pastrami Fri, 07/1/05 3:47 PM (permalink)
                Vienna Beef produces an excellent pastrami, that is sold in L.A. and throughout the US. It's naturally hickory smoked, fresh, domestic grain fed beef that is carefully rubbed with seasonings that is available in two spice varieties: New York-a robust pepper crust, slowly smoked to perfection(heavy spiced with a slightly sweeter blend of brown sugar and coriander pepper) and Roumanian-a light blend of spices and pepper(lightly spiced with pepper and brown sugar). It's available in a variety of sizes, both whole and sliced:

Pastrami Navels-Whole(traditional hot pastrami
                Pastrami Briskets-Whole(can be served hot or cold)
                Pepper Beef-Pastrami Flats & Eye Rounds(great for trays)
                Sliced Pastrami(portion control)

WCW

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: Pastrami Fri, 07/1/05 4:57 PM (permalink)
                  I'm originally from N.Y., but I haven't tried the Pastrami sandwiches that have been top rated (although I will the next time I go back). But I think the best Pastrami sandwich in L.A. is at Brent's Deli in Northridge. You can get it lean or regular (I like it regular with that tasty fat) and the rye bread is superb (warm and soft on the inside and crunchy on the edge). A chocolate egg cream with it and I'm in heaven.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                    RE: Pastrami Fri, 07/1/05 6:20 PM (permalink)
                    I know the pastrami at Art's Deli in LA---"where every sandwich is a work of Art!"-was indeed excellent!!! Better then the best of NYC--i dont know--but it it definatly as good as any!

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                      RE: Pastrami Fri, 07/1/05 7:06 PM (permalink)

quote:
                      marxbro Posted - 06/30/2005 : 14:20:46
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Linda and I purposely visited LA two months ago just to sample Deli and Roadfood joints in the down town area. I love Jewish delis ( X New Yorker) especially the corned beef and pastrami. " funny,I'm not Jewish"
                      To my liking Langer's Delicatessen is buy far the best pastrami on the West coast. The best pastrami yes, but I don't believe the best Deli............ I prefer Nat'n Al's delicatessen in Beverly Hills.
                      New York pastrami is available here flown in daily to the Stage and the Carnegie Delis, both have joints in Las Vegas.
                      But. For me New York pastrami is not the best on the East coast. I found a Deli in Florida that is (shudder) better. ........... The Original Pastrami Club, Lauderhill, FL it's good ,very good. ... Frank
                      http://www.pastramiclub.com/contactus.htm

Scallion1

• Total Posts: 418
                        RE: Pastrami Sat, 07/9/05 9:35 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by WCW

I'm originally from N.Y., but I haven't tried the Pastrami sandwiches that have been top rated (although I will the next time I go back). But I think the best Pastrami sandwich in L.A. is at Brent's Deli in Northridge. You can get it lean or regular (I like it regular with that tasty fat) and the rye bread is superb (warm and soft on the inside and crunchy on the edge). A chocolate egg cream with it and I'm in heaven.

a chocolate egg cream with a pastrami sandwich? uuuurppp. and tref as well. stick with the dr. brown's celray or black cherry.

imsofull

• Total Posts: 61
                          RE: Pastrami Sat, 07/9/05 11:52 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by marxbro

I would say Langer's has the best Pastrami in L.A or Southern California, but having grown up on the East Coast, it falls short of
                          Katz's, Second Ave Deli and a host of Jersey deli's.

But it sure is a good substitute

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                            RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 12:55 AM (permalink)
                            My brother -in-law went to the Carnegie Deli in NYC recently, paid $21 for a humongous pastrami sandwich.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                              RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 5:33 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              My brother -in-law went to the Carnegie Deli in NYC recently, paid $21 for a humongous pastrami sandwich.

For twenty one dollars my wife and I would expect to be hand fed by semi-clothed members of the opposite sex; that is between bites of our peeled figs

carlton pierre

RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 7:37 PM (permalink)
                                I agree. I couldn't believe it, but I guess that's NYC.

sizz

RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 7:41 PM (permalink)

quote:
                                  carlton pierre Posted - 07/10/2005 : 00:55:02
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe some folks never saw what a New York Pastrami sandwich looks like. Here is one in all it's glory ........... Carlton Pierre, The Carnegie Deli pastrami is $12.95 and if you want one as pictured here it's $3 bucks extra............. your brother-in-law must have had a slice of cheesecake and coffee along with his sandwich or he's a Southern Gentleman and big time tipper.......

MilwFoodlovers

RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                    Well you sure can't ask "Where's the beef?".

carlton pierre

RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                      That looks about like what he described. When I asked what it cost he told me $21 so maybe he had a few extras, but that is a heckuva sandwich.!!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                        RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 9:54 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by carlton pierre

That looks about like what he described. When I asked what it cost he told me $21 so maybe he had a few extras, but that is a heckuva sandwich.!!

Katz's, Carnegie, and Second Avenue are all around $13 for their signature sandwiches. Either your brother-in-law was exaggerating or he was giving you the amount for the entire check.

For what it's worth, I know of few people who would tell you that the $13 sandwich in question is not worth every penny.

Steve

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
                                          RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 10:27 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Let's talk about something not so subjective, like parking. It cost anywhere from $20 to $40 a day to park your car in manhattan. What is it in your town? Oh, by the way, there's a 18.5% tax on top of that.

MilwFoodlovers

RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 10:37 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Let's talk about something not so subjective, like parking. It cost anywhere from $20 to $40 a day to park your car in manhattan. What is it in your town? Oh, by the way, there's a 18.5% tax on top of that.

quote:
                                            Morgan Stanley said yesterday that former Chairman and CEO Philip Purcell, 61, will receive a cash retirement bonus of $44 million and co-President Stephen Crawford, 41, can collect $32 million should he resign for any reason by Aug. 4.

I guess I can see who can afford those sammy's.
                                            I'd be laughing but it's all so sad

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17828
                                              RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 11:17 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
                                              carlton pierre Posted - 07/10/2005 : 00:55:02

Maybe some folks never saw what a New York Pastrami sandwich looks like. Here is one in all it's glory ........... Carlton Pierre, The Carnegie Deli pastrami is $12.95 and if you want one as pictured here it's $3 bucks extra............. your brother-in-law must have had a slice of cheesecake and coffee along with his sandwich or he's a Southern Gentleman and big time tipper.......

What you've pictured is, I believe, a combination pastrami and corned beef sandwich. At least, that's what the ones I make look like.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                                RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 11:27 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by kozel

quote:

Yeah...that can turn your $13 sandwich into a quick $50 lunch. Add in the cost of any tolls or train fare if you are not already in the city, and it sure makes me glad that I travel to NYC on the company nickel, rather than live there! It is much easier to expense train tickets, parking, and tolls than the $100 tab at Luger's!

Steve

sizz

RE: Pastrami Sun, 07/10/05 11:43 PM (permalink)

quote:
                                                  What you've pictured is, I believe, a combination pastrami and corned beef sandwich. At least, that's what the ones I make look like.
                                                  Sharp eye Michael.................... Pastrami on top corned beef on the bottom. that's the way I like-em in NY the "combo".......... In LA at Langer's Delicatessen I'll take the pastrami straight up and the same at the Original Pastrami Club in FL.
                                                  I think the folks will get the idea of what a $15.95 NY Deli sandwich looks like............... whether it's corned beef or pastrami or the combo of both ......... Frank

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3572
                                                    • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                    RE: Pastrami Wed, 07/20/05 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                                    Langer's is definittely excellent.....but I also thought DZ akins in San Diego made excellent pastrami too. Getting hungry now......

sizz

RE: Pastrami Wed, 07/20/05 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                                      I feel that DZ Akins in San Diego is the best all around deli in California........ A proper New York Jewish deli in an unlikely spot..................
                                                      http://www.dzakinsdeli.com/

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                                                        • Location: Bergen County, NJ
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Pastrami Wed, 07/20/05 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

This looks to me like a post that was created with the intention of starting a ruckus. Seems to be a theme around here lately.

Saint Matt

• Total Posts: 183
                                                          RE: Pastrami Wed, 07/20/05 1:40 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Wigo

quote:

This looks to me like a post that was created with the intention of starting a ruckus. Seems to be a theme around here lately.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Food critics often site Langer's as having the best pastrami in the nation. So, it's not an outlandish statement. I've been to Langer's and they were great. My personal favorite is still Canter's.

cehrin

• Total Posts: 1
                                                            • Location: Nanuet, NY
                                                            RE: Pastrami Fri, 07/22/05 5:27 PM (permalink)
                                                            My husband loves this one deli back in Lyndhurst Ohio- some bagel place on Mayfield called Broadway Bagel.
                                                            They use Sy Ginsberg corned beef- yum!

We are tring out Katz's pastrami and corned beef tonight in Manhattan.
                                                            Pray the kids behave for us so we can eat a decent meal :)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 63

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com