Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
2013/12/18 09:46:37 (permalink)

Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI)

Located just south of McFarland on US-51, Patrick's Grill is in the building that used to be Beck's...in fact, Patrick was a bartender there and bought the business.  And before it was Beck's it was a few other businesses; it's been there for as long as I can remember, and that's almost 24 years now.

It's not very big inside.  I sat at the table kittycorner from the bar and there were a couple of other tables to my right, and a pool table next to the end of the bar.

When Patrick was preparing to open he had a sign that mentioned barbecue, so I was keeping a visit in the back of my mind.  And one day when I drove by and saw these outside I knew I'd be stopping eventually.

Patrick's isn't a "full service" barbecue place; while he'll roast a pig on request all that's on the regular menu is shredded beef brisket (left) and pulled pork (right).  And this is only on the weekends, as he does his smoking on Fridays and then sells it until it's gone.

Even though this is all he offers for barbecue (the bar has a flattop and fryer so burgers and other items are on the menu), he does a good job.  Both sandwiches had smoky, meaty flavor and the toasted buns were a nice addition, and his homemade barbecue sauce is outstanding.  It's only slightly sweet with a mild pepper kick, and while he didn't reveal all his ingredients he did say that he uses cranberry as a Wisconsin touch; did you know that Wisconsin leads the USA in cranberry production?

The other signature item is what Patrick calls the "hog dog", which is a Klement's Chicago Style hot dog wrapped in bacon and deep-fried.  And despite what first thoughts might be it's not at all greasy, and the frying really brings out the flavor of the dog.

And to top it off, 2 sandwiches, a hot dog, and a couple of sodas came to the whopping total of $14.  Can't beat that with a stick!

8 Replies Related Threads

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI) 2013/12/18 09:51:45 (permalink)
    Wow...looks like an excuse for a "road trip". Didn't that place used to be kind of a "slummy" bar? Little off topic..how is that Fosdal bakery? I need a kringle for Christmas. Thanks. Have you been to that BBQ on the square? Did you prefer the beef or pork at Patrick's?
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI) 2013/12/18 10:00:46 (permalink)
    1.  Well, before it was Beck's it got shut down because people were being allowed to smoke non-tobacco plant material in the banquet room, so that may or may not answer your question.  This was the first time I'd ever been there.

2.  Fosdal's is a local tradition/legend but if you're looking for kringle you should call and ask.

3.  No, I haven't.  The only time I've eaten on the square was at The Old Fashioned.

4.  Yes.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2562
    Re:Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI) 2013/12/18 19:25:09 (permalink)
    Hey Chicken-boy - Barbecue of the Month is my gig, yours is fried chicken.

Great looking stuff. Did you ask the pitmaster where he learned to prepare barbecue? It's hard to find good BBQ in Wisconsin.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI) 2013/12/18 19:41:12 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

Great looking stuff. Did you ask the pitmaster where he learned to prepare barbecue? It's hard to find good BBQ in Wisconsin.
    Actually there are quite a few good choices within a 20 mile radius of "Chicken-boy" and myself. Here's one of my favorites as well as that one I wrote about today, "Blowin' Smoke".
    http://www.doublesbbq.com/index.php/product-info
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI) 2013/12/18 19:48:48 (permalink)
    Pancho - I don't doubt you, but this is a sudden change. The places I've tried in Wisconsin have either either been awful, or soon going out of business (the good ones).
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI) 2013/12/18 20:37:52 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

Believe it or not he's self-taught via the Internet.  He did go to culinary school and spent a number of years working in bars and restaurants in northern WI, but as a native of the Madison area he returned a few years back.  He was working in DeForest and after a night shift he went home and found a rack of ribs in either the fridge or the freezer, and basically took the ball and ran with it.

The thing I like is that he's not trying to do everything.  He still has to run the bar and the kitchen and by limiting what and how often he barbecues he's not overextending himself.

If all goes according to plan I'll have chicken this weekend.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI) 2013/12/18 20:44:14 (permalink)
    Good story Brad. You should smoke a few butts and drop them off for the bar to serve.
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Patrick's Grill (McFarland WI) 2013/12/18 20:58:47 (permalink)
    That'd probably work if he served mine to the elbow-benders and his to the sober folks.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1