Pat's Cheese steaks

Author
memphis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2005/11/25 13:59:43 (permalink)

Pat's Cheese steaks

From Jersey, but make many trips a year to Pat's in Philly for the ultimate cheese steak. Hands down, the best. I have tried them all. Gino's, Jim's, and many more. Pat's is King.

21 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2005/11/25 23:36:49 (permalink)
    Im sure a little searching will find this topic well discussed. However for a real cheesesteak treat try Phils at the corner of lenola rd and camden ave, between Maple Shade and Moorestown. Granted its been over 10 yrs since I've had the pleasure and don't know if the store survives. And then there's Palpmbos at Rt 130 and Cinnaminson Ave in Cinnaminson
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2005/11/26 12:53:42 (permalink)
    Pat's is Pat's. It's the ral deal. Like Katz's, Smitty's, Arthur Bryant's. It's the one. It's America. It's not only about tastebuds. A cheesesteak seems simple enough. But this is how a cheesesteak is supposed to be.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2005/11/26 14:10:58 (permalink)
    Pat's is nasty, as is Geno's. I'm sure that there are far better cheesesteaks in Philly. It reminds me of hot dogs in Chicago, or Italian beef stands- the most popular ones are typically the worst.
    Diner-Lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2005/11/26 14:27:29 (permalink)
    Although I'm a PA/Philly-area native, I never tried a Pat's cheesesteak until 1983 when my husband (from WA state) and I made the trek down there after reading an article about it in a Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer magazine. We weren't prepared for it being a take-out only place, and so had to eat our cheesesteaks in the car. So my main memory of Pat's is of PA and NJ maps spread out on our laps as grease and liquid Cheese Whiz dripped and made new routes on the maps.

Haven't been back since, not because it was a bad experience, but the cheesesteaks were no better or worse than what we can get in the 'burbs and consume more genteely at a table somewhere.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2005/11/26 18:23:22 (permalink)
    Don't like a place that doesn't have seating...never have. This is what keeps me from going to Tommy's (Elizabeth, NJ) for Italian hot dogs. Admittedly, they have a fine product. But I want to either read the paper or enjoy conversation with a companion. If you want my business, loan me a chair.
    The Bear
    msp
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/06 15:42:47 (permalink)
    Was at pats last week,12/30. Was terrible! 25 min. in line just for sandwich. Bread was good but the portion of meat was lame, had one teaspoon of onions and the cheese was just put on the bread not even near melted. Fries were ok, and a soda. but for a total of $11.00 and change i could of saved a bunch of gas and had a better one in flemington n.j.
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/06 17:15:13 (permalink)
    I second D'Allessandro's in East Falls and would add Pudge's in Blue Bell.
    ScreenBear
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/06 19:10:12 (permalink)
    I am disheartened to learn that these famous places have become tourist traps, if such is indeed the case. And if so, I'd like to know how long that has been the case.

I've never been to either, but won't go until I hear something very positive from a fellow RoadFooder in the know.

Eventually, word of mouth will get around, and folks will either go elsewhere, or, the places will see the tide and stem it before they kill the golden goose. Hopefully, it's not too late. From the long lines you've described, it probably isn't.

Is there anyone with knowledge of these places who can put a time line on how long they've ceased to be the great places they once were, if again, that is the case?
    The Bear
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7768
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/06 20:21:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

I am disheartened to learn that these famous places have become tourist traps, if such is indeed the case. And if so, I'd like to know how long that has been the case.

I've never been to either, but won't go until I hear something very positive from a fellow RoadFooder in the know.

Eventually, word of mouth will get around, and folks will either go elsewhere, or, the places will see the tide and stem it before they kill the golden goose. Hopefully, it's not too late. From the long lines you've described, it probably isn't.

Is there anyone with knowledge of these places who can put a time line on how long they've ceased to be the great places they once were, if again, that is the case?
    The Bear

I never tried Geno's but was disappointed with Pats when I first tried it in 2000. Jim's used to be great. I first tried Jim's in 1988 and would always go back on occasional visits to Philly through 1992. I returned again in 1997 after more than a 5 year hiatus and it just wasn't as good as it used to be. I think I was disappointed with the bread it wasn't as crusty as it used to be. I'd go back and try it again since it's been about 9 years. Wow, can't believe that- 9 years!!!!" />
    loucrew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/06 21:04:57 (permalink)
    Want a great Cheese steak. Go to Pat's, but the one in Point Pleasant NJ on Hwy 88. aside from making them myself, this place is the best ever. Hands down.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/06 22:17:57 (permalink)
    Are you sure that is not Pat's Pizzaria. They have excellent Cheese Steaks.

quote:
    Originally posted by loucrew

Want a great Cheese steak. Go to Pat's, but the one in Point Pleasant NJ on Hwy 88. aside from making them myself, this place is the best ever. Hands down.
    ScreenBear
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/07 17:50:27 (permalink)
    How far is D'Alessandros's from the Philly Airport?
    The Bear
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/07 22:04:27 (permalink)
    If you're going to Pat's or Geno's, take the time to walk a few blocks north, through the Italian market (a nice trip in itself) for a hoagie at Sarcone's. The bread alone will make it worthwhile.
    memphis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/08 23:41:22 (permalink)
    I'm hearing a lot of negativity towards Pat's. I still think they're the best. I think what happens is over the years competition attempts to do one better, bigger sandwich, more onions, more peppers,more steak, etc. etc. Pat's is the original, and most true Philadelphians tell me that the taste has not changed.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/09 00:58:31 (permalink)
    I remember when I was a student at the University of Pennsylvania in the mid eighties (oh so long ago!) and I found Pat's Steaks to be pretty underwhelming. Even then, there were many better choices in Philadelphia. I even remember one of my favorites; the lunch truck on Samson Street, near the White Dog Cafe, and not far from the law school.
    By far, this was the best cheesesteak I ever tasted in my four years of undergraduate studies in Philly. And believe me, I tried many, many places.
    Does anyone know if these trucks still exist? That whole area around the campus has changed unbelievably since I was a student there.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7768
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/09 12:27:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by memphis

I'm hearing a lot of negativity towards Pat's. I still think they're the best. I think what happens is over the years competition attempts to do one better, bigger sandwich, more onions, more peppers,more steak, etc. etc. Pat's is the original, and most true Philadelphians tell me that the taste has not changed.

I first tried Pat's in 2000, and I was very underwhelmed compared to the cheesesteaks at Jim's or even Rex's back in the late 80's.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/09 12:36:43 (permalink)
    I have done Pats several times and I do not want to offend folks of Philly but I rated them just OK.

I am sure that Cheesewit and Jane could certainly give a better input.

Paul E. smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/09 12:56:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

If you're going to Pat's or Geno's, take the time to walk a few blocks north, through the Italian market (a nice trip in itself) for a hoagie at Sarcone's. The bread alone will make it worthwhile.
    Gordon I did just that a couple of years ago and found this great Italian restarunt think the name was Ralphs or something right next to a bread bakery. Any way had a steak sub the next day at Pats very uneventfull would'nt go out of my way to go back but I would for Ralphs. Chow Jim
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/09 13:30:48 (permalink)
    This topic has been covered here so many times that there's really nothing to add. Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, and Tony Luke's are the best known places for cheesesteaks.

That doesn't mean they are the best. There's a steak shop in every neighborhood, town, village, etc. throughout the Philadelphia area. You can read about the cheesesteak tour we did back in July of '04. 5 stops (Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, Dallesandro's, and Steve's) were included and there were pros and cons to each.

Some of us don't like cheez whiz, some do. Some like the meat sliced, some like it chopped. It's a matter of personal taste and a topic for argument in every neighborhood.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/09 16:20:51 (permalink)
    I love this "best cheesesteak in Philadelphia" war.

It reminds me of where to get the "best slice in NYC" war?
    and
    where do I get the "best wings in Buffalo" war?

the lines are drawn. This is great! I'm going to have to try all these places. (Although, I've already done Jim's. and liked it!)

I wonder if there will ever be the "best half-smoke in D.C." war?

Gelco1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Pat's Cheese steaks 2006/01/11 14:39:12 (permalink)
    jim's is the winner. I ried them all.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1