Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there

Author
skipsor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/04/04 19:22:43 (permalink)

Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there

We will be visiting Philly this fall and have decided to go to either Pat's or Geno's for a steak sandwich. Maybe both, I just haven't decided yet.

We will be coming from NYC on the train and I need to know the best way to get from the station to the food, i.e., public transportation, cab, or...

Also, it seems that there is a right and wrong way to order these sandwiches. To keep me from making a total fool out of myself, what is the correct way to do this.

Any help will be appreciated.

This is my first post on this forum so I may not have posted in the right place so if I'm in the wrong place please direct me to the correct forum.

18 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 19:39:11 (permalink)
    Sorry, I don't know how to get there by train, but all I can tell you is that there are so many better cheesesteak places to go in the Philly area. My only experiences with Pat's have been dissappointing. I've never been to Geno's. Basically these two places are for tourists. The past couple of times I've been in the Philly area I actually ended up going to Gaetano's which is a small chain in the Philly Suburbs of South Jersey.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 366
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 20:34:26 (permalink)
    I recommend Tony Luke Jr.'s. It's a spin off of the original Tony Luke's in South Philly, which is superior to both Pat's and Geno's. Jr.'s is on 18th Street somewhere between Chestnut and Walnut. It's a short cab ride from 30th Street Station where Amtrak lets you off. If you're taking NJT, get off at Suburban Station. It's only about three blocks south of there.

If you really want the Pat's and Geno's experience though, and there is nothing wrong with that (it's fun and it's not like the steaks are horrible...they're good; just not among the very best), then you've got a longer cab ride from 30th Street Station. If you take the El (the east-west subway essentially) west to 8th Street, then head south, you'd have about a 15 block walk to get to Geno's and Pat's. It's also about that far from Suburban Station if you're taking NJT.

As far as ordering, you say two words. The first is the kind of cheese you want (Whiz, which I recommend, Provolone or American) and the second is "with" or "without," meaning with or without fried onions. I generally get whiz with.

Good luck.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 20:46:14 (permalink)
    you COULD take the local subway, the "market st. blue line", then change for the "broad st. line".....and get off in Passyunk Ave, where Pats and Genos are located.

HOWEVER, since the subway is a couple of bucks a person anyway, it's best to just take a cab. And a lot less of a hassle. Could'nt see it costing more than $10 or so, as the 30th st Amtrak Station is still close enough to everything by cab...
    (but NOT really walkable)

Also, another MUST SEE is the Reading Terminal Market, 11th and Arch... also easily accessible by cab. It's a Roadfooders heaven!!

Have you been there yet?!??! It's like 100 years old , with tons of indoor food merchants. I particularly like the Amish merchants, (espescially the pretzel place), but they are only there about 3 or 4 days a week. Also "Franks a lot" has real good hot dogs! They use Best brand hot dogs out of Newark, NJ

well, hope you'll give us a full report !

ellen by AC

phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 366
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 20:55:47 (permalink)
    I think Franks a Lot is one of the merchants that's being kicked out of the terminal. I feel bad for them. But I have to admit being excited when I read that a Jewish deli would be one of the replacements. It's about the only thing I've felt the Terminal has lacked for years. And I understand one of the owners is from the same family that owns Katz's deli in New York.

And there is also a cheesesteak place in Reading Terminal. I haven't tried them, but they do get some long lines. I vaguely remember hearing they're owned by someone from the Pat's family too.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 21:15:00 (permalink)
    Having grown up in Philadelphia, and having patronized the Reading Terminal market since the 60s, I think you could eat every meal there during your stay and feel you had missed little.
    Pats and Genos are, as other posters have noted, for the tourists.
    If you must visit South Street, Tony luke's or Jims are better options
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 21:38:12 (permalink)
    You can have a little fun reading http://www.bestcheesesteaks.com/ although updates to this site are rare.

While other places may or may not be better, none have the unique street scene and atmosphere of the intersection of 9th, Wharton and Passyunk where Pat's and Geno's have faced off for decades. There is no other place you should consider for your first visit or taste.

My order at Pat's is always "provy wit extra". Geno's charges 50 cents more for the "extra" onions. No charge at Pat's. Just remember, you order your sandwich at the first window. Soda and fries at the second window. That is the biggest rookie mistake. And if you forget the lingo, Pat's has it all written down on a sign that hangs to the right, above the first window.
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 21:59:12 (permalink)
    Take a cab.

Pat's may not be the best cheesesteak in Philadelphia (my pick is Steve's Prince of Steaks in the vast, mysterious Northeast), but it is the scariest and the most authentic. Scariest in that you never know what's going to set off the order taker (a cross between Rhoda from Cheers and the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld). Try asking for your steak sandwich medium rare. Follow that up by ordering a coke from the same person who takes your sandwich order. One or both should do it. Genuine South Philly attitude / abuse. As to authentic - it's where the cheesesteak started. You'll be standing in line with 3rd and 4th generation Pat's steaks eaters. Start at Pat's and then try the others.

Two of the best hoagies in the City are within a few blocks of Pat's. Chickie's Deli on Federal between 10th and 11th and Sarcone's Deli at 9th and Fitzwater. You'll walk the Italian Market getting from Pat's to Sarcone's.

signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 23:33:41 (permalink)
    I'm so glad to see Holly posting here. Actually you don't even have to wait until you get to Pat's to read the sign telling you the proper way to order. Holly has an enlargable photo of it on his excellent site which IS updated frequently.

http://www.hollyeats.com/Pats.htm

And he's right about Steve's Prince of Steaks being most excellent. It was the favorite of many Roadfooders on our 2004 Philly Cheesesteak Tour.
    LargeMarge
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 23:52:20 (permalink)
    If you really want to go to Pat's or Geno's...take a cab. You really don't have to leave the 30th Street Station. Frankie Oliveri's nephew now has a shop called "Nicks".
    buckeye1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/04 23:55:42 (permalink)
    For the next four days, I am staying at the Philadelphia Marriott right next to Reading Terminal - attending the American College of Physicians annual meeting at the convention center. Last time I was here was 2000, and we ate lunch daily at the Terminal while others in my group set out for the food court at the Gallery at Market East so they could have "chain food" instead. I'll never understand it...

Last time I was here we had a very good dinner at Dock Street Brewery, which seems to have disappeared (?) I'm a big microbrew fan, thanks to Cleveland's Great Lakes Brewing Co. We're trying to decide between a place called Monk's Cafe (Belgian Beer Emporium and Restaurant) or Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant. I also think there's a microbrew in the Terminal, but can't remember the name.

Any other suggestions for Philly would be appreciated. I'll check back over the next couple days.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/05 00:23:30 (permalink)
    I love Monk's. Great burgers and fries, fun bar scene.

Saps
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/05 14:51:15 (permalink)
    Admittedly it's been almost 20 yrs but IMHO the best time to hit Pats is around 3am
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/05 15:56:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LargeMarge

If you really want to go to Pat's or Geno's...take a cab. You really don't have to leave the 30th Street Station. Frankie Oliveri's nephew now has a shop called "Nicks".
    ... BUT, don't expect to hail a cab to get out of there. I had to do a pretty long walk before I encountered a cab.

buckeye1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/05 16:28:48 (permalink)
    Independence Brew Pub - that's the one in Reading Terminal; I couldn't think of the name before.

Thanks for the good word on Monk's - I'll let you know what I think
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/06 19:38:29 (permalink)
    I agree with WJ and especially Saps. The best cheesesteaks, hands down, are Gaetanos. And Monks on Spruce is one of my top 10 all time favorite restaurants.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/06 21:05:50 (permalink)
    Stick to the Terminal,Monks is great, and if business takes you out to my old neighborhood in the Northeast, Steve's Prince Of Steaks is the place, and Jim's has a branch 2 blocks away.
    Not that my old neighborhood is what it once was...
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/04/07 05:42:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Admittedly it's been almost 20 yrs but IMHO the best time to hit Pats is around 3am
    Every place is good @ 3am. Chow Jim
    wreckless1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Pat's or Geno's, best way to get there 2006/05/31 03:53:25 (permalink)
    Don't eat at either of these consider me having done the experimenting for you philly is a wonderful city but pats and genos were not highlights of our trip to phil.roam the old part of the city and try some other reccomendations as far as cheese steaks... i thought they both stunk ..... the only thing that impressed me was genos hot sauce. it was like the temperature of the sun....that was impressive ....my advice go and try that and in an hour go try paganos we liked their cheese steaks bigtime
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1