Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC

Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
2009/05/01 22:09:48 (permalink)

Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC

Met two friends up here at noon.  Took the subway up from Grand Street where I'd earlier been treated to a terrific peanut butter glazed jelly filled donut at the Donut Plant by BillyBoy.  Billy, we're on for the Carnegie next time I'm in town.

Patsy's has been here a long time..Lots of news articles posted on their walls.
Very reasonably priced menu..Lots of local firefighters and other city uniformed workers dining there for lunch.

We ordered one large pie with one ingredient and it was $15.00.  the pie was good.  I'd go back, but would probably want to try Lombardi's first.  Then make a comparison.

10 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/03 12:14:35 (permalink)
    Baah Ben, do they sell slices as well?  I was thinking I might post some pics from the Doughnut Plant if that's cool.  I made a stop at the Essex Market for some very interesting candy after we parted ways.  More to come... 
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/03 14:14:02 (permalink)
     Patsy's absolutely does slices- there's a door to the right of the main doors that leads to the pizza ovens and a tiny little take out counter. a take out pie from Patsy's is $10 (a regular pie, cheese, margerita style) and they come out of the oven seems like every minute. always a fresh hot slice pie out of the oven at Patsy's. it's my favorite quick and easy slice in upper manhattan- double park at the hydrant like the rest of the world and you can be back in the car in 2 minutes with a delicious fresh pie from a legendary NY pizza landmark. top of the pops for zza in NYC (difara, patsy's, lucali has it's moments, UPN not so much...). a classic simple NY slice (light sweet sauce, very light on the cheese, a bit of char, classic!). enjoy fb
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/04 00:39:57 (permalink)
    Billy - Go for it (Donut Plant pics).

I want to try some of the other pizza places such as the ones Frank is mentioning.  Patsy's was good..I would not call it great. 

Anyone?  Grimaldi's??
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/05 22:20:34 (permalink)
    Grimaldi's blech- way overrated (since Patsy Grimaldi himself is gone there is absolutely no quality control- cheese congeals to bubble gum in 60 seconds...). UPN way overpriced. Difara, Patsy's, Lucali, Totonno's (Brooklyn only), squares at L&B, New Park (ask for a well done pie, hit or miss), Rizzo's in Queens- that's about the story for NYC zza. beyond that, forge north to New Haven for Sally's and Pepe's and Modern... or Amano in Ridgewood NJ is quite serious true Neapolitan style pies (buffala, 3 or 4 minutes max in oven, nice char, very serious). but Difara is the NYC winner, IMHO.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/05 23:22:32 (permalink)
    Frank - I never heard of Amano before...Has this place opened in the past year or so? I saw their website and it looks great.  Next time I am in NJ, I'm there.  Where is it in relation to the Iron Horse  or the little diner?

Have you ever been to Kinchley's in Ramsey?  Supposed to be pretty good.  I use to like Lido Pizza in Hackensack.  Now, everytime I am back, I go to Brooklyn Pizza.  But, next time it's Amano.  My most recent visit to Brooklyn Pizza was good, but I'd like to try a new place next time.

I wonder if TommyEats has been there?

I would love to get to New Haven......
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/06 17:28:18 (permalink)
    Yeah, Amano is news to me too. Based on Frank's other faves he knows his pizza. And based on that I'll have to get there. Kinchley's is good, but almost always very crowded, and like a lot of famous NJ pizza places, IMHO not quite up to the Best of NY City.

<<I wonder if TommyEats has been there?>.

Baah Ben - If you look under "reviews" on the Amano website, TommyEats has indeed been there, and he loved it.
    post edited by ken8038 - 2009/05/06 17:34:11
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/07 22:03:35 (permalink)
    always a pleasure discussing fine pies... Amano is new to me, though i believe it's been around for a few years- i spoke to the pizziola there a few days ago- he said he was trained by someone who really knows their napolitana style. very simple fresh delicious pie with very fine ingredients. i have been to kinchley's tavern many times- though i do enjoy their light super thin crust pies, now that i've discovered Amano i always opt for Amano (both are very close off of 17 on my commute into the city,  kinchley's is closer but can take longer, even with a call ahead. Amano i walk in, order, and i'm out with an incredible pie in literaly 3-4 minutes!!!). i've had perfectly fine pies from Kinchley's, but Amano is special. on the level of the heavy hitters, imho. and new haven, well, what can i say, i was lucky enough to grow up there and those are some incredible pies. very different- super snarky, big, a little rougher around the edges, lots of burnt crispies on the bottom of the pie, not fancy toppings but toppings (tuna, clam, potatoe, etc.), no buffala, but the sum of the ingredients coupled with 100 year old coal fired brick ovens is mastery. anyhow, enjoy and all the best- fb

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/08 00:53:10 (permalink)
    Frank - Did you know in Rome, at Da Baffato (I think that was the name..Perhaps the best pizza place in Rome) they order an egg placed in the middle of their pizza.  When the pies come out, the egg looks like a sunny side up egg and they break the yolk and mush it all over the pie!  I saw at least 4 tables near us doing this.

I cannot wait to get back to Bergen County and try Amano...And Kinchley's.  I have told my Sister-In-Law about Kinchley's, but she said it is so crowded she can never get in; she works in Waldwick.

Ever try Patsy's Clam House in Fairview?  Fried shrimp, calamari and squngili with three degrees of sauce (mild, hot and very hot) served with those hard pepper biscuits.  Just like in Little Italy.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6349
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/08 01:07:02 (permalink)
    I ordered a pizza capracosa once in Italy(a pizza with the works), and got a runny egg in the center!!!! Seems to be very popular. This was in Florence,but I saw it all over Italy. Also hard boiled eggs!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Patsy's - 118th and 1st Avenue...NYC 2009/05/08 09:14:06 (permalink)
    <<she works in Waldwick>>

There's pretty good pizza in Waldwick at Nellie's Place, 9 Franklin Turnpike. It sort of reminds me of Kinchley's, but without the crowds. Here's what Tommy Eats has to say about it:

http://tommyeats.typepad.com/tommyeats/2006/06/nellies_place_w.html
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1