Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ?

Author
HungryDoug
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2005/03/10 10:37:15 (permalink)

Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ?

Greetings All:

First post, might as well be about Patty Melts. Being of Midwestern stock, these sandwiches have been a restaurant staple for me. However, I find myself in Southwest Virginia now and have noticed its absence from local menus.

No luck at Stone's in Christiansburg (very good steak sandwich though), gonna try the Roanoker in Roanoke this weekend. I also frequently drive to Rock Hill, SC (Charlotte area). Any suggestions are appreciated.

24 Replies Related Threads

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/10 10:52:36 (permalink)
    This may fall under a chain suggestion and some people think its not roadfood, but Waffle House makes excellent patty melts ! Get it as a plate and get a nice helping of hash browns with it. I like them scattered, smothered and covered !!

Just my humble opinion
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/10 11:12:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

This may fall under a chain suggestion and some people think its not roadfood, but Waffle House makes excellent patty melts ! Get it as a plate and get a nice helping of hash browns with it. I like them scattered, smothered and covered !!

Just my humble opinion

They also have a double patty melt. I like my hashbrowns scattered, smothered, peppered and topped.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/10 11:31:50 (permalink)
    Dairy Queen and Denny's may have them, too.
    HungryDoug
    Junior Burger
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/10 11:47:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replys

IMHO the best melt you can get from a chain is at Perkin's (which is a midwestern chain, I think). I'll have to give Waffle House another try, everything else on their menu is delish. The last (and only) melt I've had there turned out to be a cheeseburger on wheat toast, no sauteed onions or buttery rye toast.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/10 11:51:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HungryDoug

Thanks for the replys

IMHO the best melt you can get from a chain is at Perkin's (which is a midwestern chain, I think). I'll have to give Waffle House another try, everything else on their menu is delish. The last (and only) melt I've had there turned out to be a cheeseburger on wheat toast, no sauteed onions or buttery rye toast.

They always use wheat toast at Waffle House, but I've never seen one that didn't have grilled onions.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/10 12:25:42 (permalink)
    Maybe a bit of a drive, and not on the direct route toward Charlotte, but Owen's 501 Diner, in Chapel Hill, has a decent patty melt. Owen's is an independent, not a Denny's, etc. A genuine roadfood kind of place.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/10 15:08:27 (permalink)
    What is a patty melt? Give me a specific answer or I'll have to ask again.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/10 15:14:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

What is a patty melt? Give me a specific answer or I'll have to ask again.

Web Definition: A patty melt is a type of hamburger sandwich consisting of a hamburger patty and cheese between two slices of rye bread. The sandwich is then grilled so that the cheese melts thoroughly. It commonly includes pieces of sautéed onion, and at some places may include salad dressing.

Bon Bon Girl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/10 17:12:08 (permalink)
    I've also seen patty melts on grilled sourdough, and then something called a Frisco Burger. I guess because of the sourdough/San Fran connection. Any real difference?
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/11 14:15:07 (permalink)
    I believe you're thinking of the recent Steak 'n Shake "Frisco melt," in which the Indianans responsible for naming this sandwich connected the sourdough bread they use with its San Francisco origin. Please note that "Frisco" is the name of a ski village just off I-10 in central Colorado. There is no such place in California.

The patty melt, as well as the grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich were invented at the Gizmo sandwich shop in the student union of Knox College in Galesburg IL.

Butter one side of 2 slices of bread and place buttered side on griddle. Place cheese on exposed sides, and grill while cooking hamburger patty. Place the cooked patty on one piece of bread, then close the sandwich. Grilled onions are nice but not required. Serve with yellow mustard on the side. Of course start the burger first if it's big or if you like it well-done.
    orzobino
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/13 07:33:37 (permalink)
    Hey Christianburg va..30 years ago I was in Radford..and beleive me you really had to scramble back then to find anything the only drive in etc was a Rays..remember those?..also nothing I mean nothing was open on Sunday..so if your only trouble is finding a patty melt in little christianburg..you dont have too much trouble...are there any BBQ places there?" />
    fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/13 08:46:31 (permalink)
    I guess you learn something every day. I thought that a patty melt was served open face with grilled onions on rye toast. Good luck on The Roanoker. I have lived in Roanoke for about 40 years and I would not drive across town for the food. Some people swear by it. But I find it very bland. I guess its geared for the senior pallet.
    Frank
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/13 09:08:24 (permalink)
    IHOP also makes a decent pattymelt.. I know, I know its another chain but sometimes the Mrs, just wants a chocolate chip waffle with strawberries and whipcream...
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/13 09:13:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fdm813

I guess you learn something every day. I thought that a patty melt was served open face with grilled onions on rye toast. Good luck on The Roanoker. I have lived in Roanoke for about 40 years and I would not drive across town for the food. Some people swear by it. But I find it very bland. I guess its geared for the senior pallet.
    Frank

The Roanoker has just sort of old fashioned down home kind of food. Great biscuits. I like the place.

Frank, what do you consider a good RoadFood type restaurant in Roanoke?

-Frank B.

ps: I don't mean to hijack the thread...sorry!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/13 09:17:42 (permalink)
    check the "tuna melt" thread under sandwichs
    fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/13 14:03:55 (permalink)
    Frank B., Depends on what you are looking for. To me, I think "The Home Place" in Catawba is as good as it gets. No printed menu, everything is served in big bowls ala family style, seconds no problem. Better biscuits then Roanoker. home made Strawberry perserves and apple butter on the table. Only open Thursday till Sunday. Come early, if you have to wait there is the line of rocking chairs on the porch.
    Frank M.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/13 18:49:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fdm813

Frank B., Depends on what you are looking for. To me, I think "The Home Place" in Catawba is as good as it gets. No printed menu, everything is served in big bowls ala family style, seconds no problem. Better biscuits then Roanoker. home made Strawberry perserves and apple butter on the table. Only open Thursday till Sunday. Come early, if you have to wait there is the line of rocking chairs on the porch.
    Frank M.

Frank M.,

That sounds good. Linda and I will have to give it a try next time we're in Roanoke.....Thanks!

HungryDoug,

Did you find the patty-melt this weekend?

-Frank B.

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/13 19:43:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

I believe you're thinking of the recent Steak 'n Shake "Frisco melt," in which the Indianans responsible for naming this sandwich connected the sourdough bread they use with its San Francisco origin. Please note that "Frisco" is the name of a ski village just off I-10 in central Colorado. There is no such place in California.

You go g . . ., uh, Michael.
    HungryDoug
    Junior Burger
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2005/03/14 12:35:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by orzobino

Hey Christianburg va..30 years ago I was in Radford..and beleive me you really had to scramble back then to find anything the only drive in etc was a Rays..remember those?..also nothing I mean nothing was open on Sunday..so if your only trouble is finding a patty melt in little christianburg..you dont have too much trouble...are there any BBQ places there?" />
    I can't complain too much about the B'burg/C'burg/Radford area, there are some good eatin' places here - college food mostly, but thats okay with me! However, I haven't found a log-burning BBQ place yet and am planning a pilgrimage to Lexington, NC sometime very soon.

quote:
    Frank
    Thanks for the heads up about the Roanoker. I wasn't able to make it there this weekend as my wife's rehearsal went later than planned and we didn't get to the restaurant until 8:50. Closing time 9:00. Most of what I've heard about the place concerns breakfast, so I guess I'll have to hit it sometime in the morning. I have also heard good things about The Home Place in Catawba.

Frank B.
    Yes, I did find a patty melt this weekend. After we found the Roanoker closing up shop, we stopped at the Waffle House in Christiansburg on the way home. The melt was better this time around, and those hashbrowns...everytime I eat them I wonder why I don't come to WH more often.
    dingleb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2006/04/03 09:02:31 (permalink)
    HELLO HUNGRYDOUG,WHEN IN ROCK HILL TRY DINGLES THEY HAVE GREAT PATTY MELTS AND HOT DOGS
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2006/04/03 09:41:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dingleb

HELLO HUNGRYDOUG,WHEN IN ROCK HILL TRY DINGLES THEY HAVE GREAT PATTY MELTS AND HOT DOGS

That'll be $2,753. Please make your check payable to Roadfood.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2006/04/11 12:47:48 (permalink)
    Hmmm, looks like a patty melt is different to many folks. My familly demands buttered rye bread, swiss cheese, and grilled onions. Is there a real patty melt or does it varry by region? Also there is some disagreement between open faced or not in my familly.
    Joe
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2006/04/11 23:39:20 (permalink)
    Around here they're a cheeseburger (both swiss and american) melted, loaded with grilled onions served on grilled (buttered) rye bread.
    Only thing I've noticed that varies are some are served with thousand island, some not.

2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Patty Melts in Virginia/Carolinas ? 2006/04/15 01:40:28 (permalink)
    Patty melts are pretty common here in Wisconsin. Heck I can get one at the restauraunt right across the street from me. Culvers is very good also. So is Larrys parksides. Here I have seen them mede with american and Swiss cheese.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1