The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 116
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Thu, 11/28/13 3:32 PM (permalink)
Why would there be extra cost for fresh squeezed orange juice.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4077
    Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 2:03 AM (permalink)
    I think the implication is, it should actually be cheaper when it is locally sourced and in abundance.

Buddy

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
      Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 2:20 AM (permalink)
      The Travelin Man

Different products cost different amounts. If a place offered a steak-and-eggs breakfast that included a sirloin, but offered a filet or porterhouse at an upcharge, I wouldn't be outraged, I would be grateful. At that point, it would be my choice as to which I would order.

I think that's pretty much the point I was getting to. Would you pay extra at a steakhouse for 28 day dry-aged beef over regular steak? Kubota pork over regular pork? As long as they give the option up front I have no problem. Now if they tell you this WHEN they bring the pancakes, thats a different story. For me, it's worth a few bucks for the real thing----I can taste the difference.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
        Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 7:43 AM (permalink)
        As it is exceedingly rare to find 'real deal' maple syrup in restaurants, we just take some of our own.  The most flavorful, Grade B syrup is always available at Costco and Whole Foods for $16 - $18/quart - which is, for us, at least a six month supply.  Before we go out for pancakes or waffles, Mrs. Metro simply pours a few ounces into a small jar, puts it into a baggie, and carries it in her purse.

mlm

• Total Posts: 73
          Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 11:42 AM (permalink)
          Excellent idea, MJ. Very practical. End of debate, to my way of thinking.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 6:31 PM (permalink)
            mlm

My wife loves pancakes and her favorite is the Original Pancake House's

But their syrup is as thin as water. 

Here's the "why" of the real deal.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
              Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 7:04 PM (permalink)
              Using "A" maple syrup instead of "B" is like drinking rail bourbon instead of Pappy Van Winkle. "A" has no character, is thin as water, and is lacking in nutrients.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 10:11 PM (permalink)
                I think I come down on the side of agreeing to pay more for the syrup. It's not really the same thing as the artificial..and the aged steak vs unaged  steak discussion points that out....or a burger made from 70% lean vs a sirloin burger.

And this is from a guy who the world owes about $80,000!  I drink my coffee black, no sugar.  I seldom get cheese or anything else on my burger. I NEVER EVER use steak sauce on my steaks (although marinating is nice), Hot dog afficiandos would despise me for ordering them plain.at least the first time (I want to judge the dog first). My baked potato may carry butter...but nothing else. My beloved Fried Clams have never ever ever ever seen some tartare sauce. If a lemon is served I might use it(really a silly thing with clams since the citrus was originally to help break up fish oil on other fish..,.but I like the taste contrasts sometimes).

In the UK and France, I believe, McDonalds charges for ketchup.

Of course, I pay the same price for all of the above as the folks that get that stuff "loaded", so I guess if they are gonna charge extra for REAL maple syrup ( and it damn well better be Real Grade B).then I also should get a discount/rebate for all the things I eat "naked".

ChiTownDiner

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 10:28 PM (permalink)
                  Not sure I want the booth after you've eaten naked! :)

mlm

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 10:44 PM (permalink)
                    ctd!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                      Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Fri, 11/29/13 10:51 PM (permalink)
                      .......And, pure maple syrup if refrigerated, never spoils!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                        Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Sat, 11/30/13 11:28 AM (permalink)
                        ChiTownDiner

Not sure I want the booth after you've eaten naked! :)

Trust me.at my age, I could make a lot of $$$ being a "reverse-stripper"....folks would pay me big money to make sure I put my clothes ON!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
                          Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Sat, 11/30/13 11:55 AM (permalink)
                          MetroplexJim

mlm

My wife loves pancakes and her favorite is the Original Pancake House's

But their syrup is as thin as water. 

Here's the "why" of the real deal.

That "real deal" is a crock. All pure Maple syrup should be produced in pretty much the same way in boiling down sap until it is syrup. The only difference in Grade A and Grade B is a visual determination in color and usually sap later in the season will produce a Grade B. Also, all Maples and even Box Elders can produce sap for Maple syrup. The best, meaning the ones with the highest sugar content, come from the Sugar Maple which I have in my yard to produce syrup. Also, you have to have the right weather of freezing night temps with day temps rising to 40 degrees. That's why there is a narrow range of Maple syrup production from Minnesota to Maine, Kentucky/Virginia north and eastern Canada. That organization reads like an organization just trying to justify Grade B which is technically no different than Grade A but being darker starts to look like Log Cabin syrup. Why they are talking about the other high corn fructose syrups mystifies me. They are not pure Maple syrups. And all pure Maple syrups are as thin as water as I previously mentioned. If they are thicker, then they are adulterated.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Sat, 11/30/13 1:48 PM (permalink)
                            I love maple syrup and have been known to carry my own to restaurants (IHOP, Waffle House, etc.).  I won't eat pancakes or waffles without it.  If I were in a place that charged extra for real maple syrup, and I didn't have my own on hand, I'd pay it.  Would I rather have syrup from a tree or a laboratory?  I should think a tree.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
                              Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Sat, 11/30/13 9:59 PM (permalink)
                              Daydd: cant the "thin as water" syrup be further reduced down (and ergo thickened) via heating to produce further water evaporation?

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7750
                                Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 12:01 PM (permalink)
                                There really is no abundance when it comes to the maple syrup supply.

I had so many fun & interesting field trips throughout NYC but a maple farm an hour away from NYC gave me a lifetime respect for maple syrup.

I would never expect maple syrup to be served in a manner like it flows freely in any way. The season is short the weather factors are uncontrollable critical & the yield is a fraction at the end of the day.

It's a treat... it's worth it to me (I love pancakes waffles & syrup) & I don't care how they do the math to arrive at the same number. I would personally never arrive with it in my handbag. No way!

It makes sense to give people the option not to have it if they don't want it in the first place. The restaurant owner or manager also has to answer the call when people start complaining that the price is so expensive for an order of pancakes because it automatically includes maple syrup. There's no parallel comparison in cost between milk/cream butter/margarine & pancake syrup/maple syrup.

Many places serve maple syrup in this area. When it's included it's at least $8 an order. Same goes for pancakes in Vermont @ a nice place.

Wishbone has the base price of an order @ $5.25 + $2.50 optional extra charge. The other way would be right on par with what many other places charge. All depends on a nice or cranky mood. Syrup bottle is half-full or half-empty.
                                <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 12/2/13 12:03 PM>

mlm

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 12:14 PM (permalink)
                                  Well thought out response, CC. I still don't see anything wrong with bringing your own syrup. I don't see how you are cheating by doing that. I am one who often eats pancakes with margarine or butter so I would resent having to pay a charge for a product I could pass on if necessary. You are right about it being a luxury item.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7750
                                    Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                    My handbag is also a luxury item.....and I can't have be sticky!

In my mind it takes a little away from the treat of the experience when I decide to start schlepping around jiggered-up bottles of anything.

Maple syrup ...hot sauce ....horseradish I just can't.

mlm

Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                      Well, it's everyone's choice.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                                        Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 1:08 PM (permalink)
                                        For me, the pancake/waffle experience is ruined when served with lab-contrived, chemical laden syrup.  Plus, if I furnish my own real maple syrup, the restaurant makes a little more money.  I pay for the food and coffee, and they retain their syrup supply.  Waffle House, IHOP, and Pancake Pantry, etc. love to see me walk in the door (especially after they see the tip). 
                                        <message edited by MellowRoast on Mon, 12/2/13 1:11 PM>

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
                                          Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                          I am ambivalent since I dislike pancakes, waffles, french toast etc. But it still annoys me about the upcharge for real maple syrup. Like paying more for real wasabi.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1789
                                            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 2:01 PM (permalink)
                                            brisketboy

I am ambivalent since I dislike pancakes, waffles, french toast etc. But it still annoys me about the upcharge for real maple syrup. Like paying more for real wasabi.

I gladly pay more for real wasabi.  It's $150/lb for fresh roots. (rhizomes)  The green fake stuff you get with 99.99% of your sushi is about $4 for a 4oz jar of powdered horseradish with color.  That price discrepancy is huge.  A sledgehammer to your profit margin.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                                              • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                              I just can't see wasting even fake maple syrup on ICRAP I mean, IHOP....really??????seriously?????

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1789
                                                Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                                wanderingjew

I just can't see wasting even fake maple syrup on ICRAP I mean, IHOP....really??????seriously?????

Completely agree.  If I'm going out for a cheap breakfast, I'm not expecting real maple syrup.

Heck, I have two bottles of syrup at home.  One for the kids, one for us.  Why?  The kids could care less and pour it on until the pancakes/waffles are swimming.  I'm not paying for 2/3 of the syrup to go down the sink.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                                                  • Location: Marriottsville, MD
                                                  Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 2:55 PM (permalink)

I have seen additional charges for the following items in the last two months:

fresh squeezed orange juice

maple syrup

homemade pasta

blue cheese dressing

homemade bread

baked potato, instead of fries

Texas toast

Most of these items require extra labor, extra cost , or both.  I see no problem with it.  In fact, I love being able to choose what I really want to make the meal more enjoyable to me. If I am going out to eat,  I want to enjoy it  and not quibble or complain over any extra charge.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
                                                    Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 3:05 PM (permalink)
                                                    TJ Jackson

Daydd: cant the "thin as water" syrup be further reduced down (and ergo thickened) via heating to produce further water evaporation?

Actually no. It reaches a certain point and it can then instantly flash over to hard brittle sugar. Not bad tasting. I've had it happen. You basically boil until the temperature reaches 217F compared to water at 212F in the altitude where I live.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                                      Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 3:09 PM (permalink)
                                                      Davydd

TJ Jackson

Actually no. It reaches a certain point and it can then instantly flash over to hard brittle sugar. Not bad tasting. I've had it happen. You basically boil until the temperature reaches 217F compared to water at 212F in the altitude where I live.
                                                      Brings up a question....I remember as a little kid eating maple candy in the shape of a maple leaf. Have you ever heard of it or seen it around? Also, I really taste a difference between A & B grades. I used to live in NH and have tasted a lot of syrup.

MissJohnnycakes

• Total Posts: 37
                                                        • Location: Deermont, CO
                                                        Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 4:16 PM (permalink)
                                                        Pancho, that maple-leaf-shaped candy was known as maple sugar candy in Massachusetts, where I grew up. And I loved the stuff, especially given that it was only an occasional treat in our family. My brother and I would ride our bikes the primitive shortcut way (sadly destroyed when Rte. 495 was created) to the Old Country Store in Mansfield, where I would buy maple sugar candy and a big cellophane bag of Wise buttered popcorn. Then, on the next rainy day, I would curl up reading a book and slowly savor part of the candy and popcorn. Yup, that's how rare a treat it was.

By the way, there were two kinds of maple candy:  the 100% maple sugar kind, and the blend of maple sugar and cream. I actually liked the flavor of the blend better than the pure sugar type (which also cost more).

In response to the OP, I would either pay the upcharge for real maple syrup, or do without any syrup at all. At the bare minimum, I want to know if the restaurant serves real or fake. One thing that always occurs to me when they only serve the fake stuff is, "What else is mediocre or poor?" Maybe they skimp on other ingredients, too.

<message edited by MissJohnnycakes on Mon, 12/2/13 4:22 PM>

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
                                                          • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                          Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 4:17 PM (permalink)
                                                          Davydd

Actually no. It reaches a certain point and it can then instantly flash over to hard brittle sugar.

Interesting, I had no idea

Is it that the remaining liquid isn't water (and if so, what the heck is it?), or is it that the water remaining at that point is sucked inside (I lack the proper word(s) here) sugar crystals?

mlm

• Location: San Marcos, TX
                                                            Re:Paying extra for real maple syrup at a restaurant - what do you think? Mon, 12/2/13 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                                            Vermont Country Store(they have a website) sells different types of maple, at least in the fall. I believe I've seen shaped candy there, too, but don't quote me on that.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 116

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com