Peach season

Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
2003/07/25 08:48:43 (permalink)

Peach season

So now that it is peach season, I would love to know what wonderful things you guys are doing with your peaches. Anybody got a nice recipe for a peachy salsa? Any favorite varieties? If you want to see what I am doing, check out my peach upside down cake recipe in the "Biggest Influence Family Recipes" thread.

Meowzart

13 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Peach season 2003/07/25 09:01:00 (permalink)
    I love fresh peaches. Peach ice cream, peaches and creme, just plain peaches, peach jelly, peaches in the corn flakes and lastly peaches in the Baccardi

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Peach season 2003/07/25 10:03:46 (permalink)
    Like Sundancer, I like peaches any way at all. In 2 weeks, I will be going to a folk festival where ladies from a local church have big washtubs full of peaches that they scald, peel and slice, then serve them about 2 minutes later over scoops of vanilla ice cream. I like to make this recipe on the grill:

GRILLED STUFFED PEACHES – serves 4

4 large peaches
    2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    1/ 3 cup quick-cooking oats
    2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 Tbs. finely chopped almonds
    1 Tbs. butter, melted
    1/ 2 tsp. cinnamon

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the whole peaches for 30 seconds. Rinse them under cold water and carefully peel the skins. Halve and pit the peaches and cut a very thin slice from the back of each so it will lie flat. In a bowl, toss the peach halves with the lemon juice.

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Combine the remaining ingredients and divide evenly, filling the centers of the peach halves. Place the filled peaches on the grill and cook, covered, for 5 or 6 minutes or until the peaches are tender. Place the peach halves on 4 plates and serve hot or warm. (161 calories per serving)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Peach season 2003/07/25 10:14:21 (permalink)
    RubyRose: That grill peach thing sounds real good. Makes a neat dessert while you are doing the BBQ thing.

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Peach season 2003/07/25 10:23:34 (permalink)
    A family favorite is a dish that I made up and call it Peaches Foster........I make it just the way one would make Bananas Foster and serve it over homemade vanilla ice cream........it is great! I will be going "Peach picking" next week as peach pie is another family favorite here.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Peach season 2003/07/25 11:00:06 (permalink)
    Just eat a fresh peach; sprinkle sugar on peach slices and after a while eat peaches & juice on, topped by, or with vanilla ice cream (preferably homemade & hand cranked); make a peach cobbler; freeze some for later use; put up some as peach preserves to enjoy throughout the year.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Peach season 2003/07/31 02:55:29 (permalink)
    The best peach cobbler recipe I ever got: "Cut up a bunch of skinned peaches and put them in a casserole dish. Pour over sugar until you can't see the peaches anymore. Cut up butter over it until you can't see the sugar anymore. Cover with pie dough, slash it with a knife and bake it."

Oh, and I add a little nutmeg.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Peach season 2003/07/31 03:09:57 (permalink)
    I do love a peach cobbler; I've gotten fond of getting the fruit hot, sweet and thick on the stovetop, then plopping on nearly-finished biscuits made from the cream biscuit recipe of James Beard (and Cooks Illustrated), and finishing the assembled casserole in the oven for a while to let everything thicken up and mingle....

My favorite addition to peach cobbler is one that James Beard wrote about in one of his newspaper columns; a hefty splash of bourbon or rye whiskey with the fruit. It's really nice when the hooch is subtle - maybe 2T for a 9x13, but the flavor is an exceptional counterpoint to the fruit. With my method, I macerate the peaches for a while with the sugar, hooch and a bit of lemon juice /zest, then drain off the liquid, cooking it with the thickener a bit before adding the fruit.

Eric, Who Would *NEVER* Put Reddi-Wip On A Cobbler (But Might Be Convinced To Put It On Other Leatherworkers In A Pinch)
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Peach season 2003/07/31 03:33:45 (permalink)
    Oh, leather can be SO hard to clean.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Peach season 2003/08/04 02:22:50 (permalink)
    Is there anyone else out there that likes blueberries in their peach cobbler? When this time of year comes, I'll put together a blueberry-peach cobbler and eat it warm with a little vanilla ice cream to melt into it. Ummm - pure heaven!
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Peach season 2003/08/04 03:07:08 (permalink)
    On my to Memphis from Nashville I stopped by a stand advertising peaches outside a dude's house in Jack's Creek off Route 100. Called his place Robison Orchards. He wanted to sell me a bag. I only wanted the canned preserves. He said they're perfect for fried peach pie. I said I'll use the preserves as spread. He insisted on its use as fried pie filling. Now I want to make fried pie. I have 3/4 of a Kerr jar full of Robison Orchards potted peaches for fried peach pie to do a little something with. Can anyone tell me how?
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Peach season 2003/08/04 07:25:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Julia I

Is there anyone else out there that likes blueberries in their peach cobbler? When this time of year comes, I'll put together a blueberry-peach cobbler and eat it warm with a little vanilla ice cream to melt into it. Ummm - pure heaven!

Similar idea..peach and blackberry cobbler. Mmmmm
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Peach season 2003/08/04 09:33:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
    Originally posted by Julia I

Similar idea..peach and blackberry cobbler. Mmmmm

We picked a bushel of peaches in 15 minutes this past Friday and are having so much fun cooking up different goodies as they ripen to perfection..........my daughter in law made blueberry-peach ice cream to go with our peach pie last evening. We had 6 guests from Germany and they were thrilled! It was the first time that 5 of them had ever had pie. They are now taking 3 pin tins back to Germany with them.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Peach season 2003/08/04 11:27:51 (permalink)
    Elise,
    Get over toPolly's for a Fresh Peach Melba pie. The filling is peach pieces piled high, with a crown of red raspberries ...then the whole thing has the usual peach glaze poured all over it.
    One of the things good about pies in SoCal !!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1