Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD)

Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4237
2012/06/02 10:57:00 (permalink)

Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD)

After watching this week's DDD show featuring it - and as it is fairly near, Mrs. Metro and I just had to visit Pecan Lodge BBQ in Dallas: http://www.pecanlodge.com/ .

Along with the typical Guy Fieri "treatment" this fairly new enterprise has won a TON of praise from the press:  Dallas Morning News "Best New Restaurant 2011", D Magazine "Best BBQ in Dallas", etc.  So, even though it is in a very sketchy 'hood we decided to visit and endure the 45 minute wait that probably is typical for any joint recently featured on DDD.  And, more importantly, Full-Gospel ( http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2010/08/pecan-lodge.html ) gave it ****, exceptional for a "non-Austin" joint.

The food:

Brisket - a bit dry, but it was good that the sauce was served on the side as it was very pungent and somewhat overwhelming.

Pulled pork - the best I've had in Texas; absolutely succulent.  The sauce that accompanied it was a play on Eastern Carolina, but it did have some tomato in it and was far more sweet than spicy and was actually "not bad".

Ribs - dry and over-smoked.

Mac 'n Cheese - excellent: creamy goodness topped with bits 'o bacon.

Even though I am not a big eater anymore I was disappointed by the portions on my $12 ribs and pulled pork 'two meat platter': enough pork for a small sandwich, only two 4" ribs, and about 5 forkfulls of mac 'n cheese.  Maybe they were "cutting corners" due to the increased volume.  If so, that was a poor business decision insofar as repeat business goes.  It would have been better for them to have posted the "sold out" sign before serving dry brisket or cutting portions.  From what I hear about Franklin's and Snow's, "that's how they roll".

Bottom line:  I am convinced that Guy Fieri would rave about a deep-fried turd on a stick.  Not saying that Pecan Lodge was that bad, but it certainly did not live up to the "raves".  I'll wait to see what Anthony Bourdain has to say about Franklin's before venturing forth again based on a T.V. show. 

14 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/02 11:11:38 (permalink)
    BTW,  it's only fair to report that Mrs. Metro and I have found three other Metroplex eateries that were featured on DDD to be excellent:

• Twisted Root Burger Co. ("chef-inspired burger cuisine")
    • Cane Rosso ("real deal Neopolitain-style pizza")
    • Chef Pointe Cafe ("gourmet dining in a gas station/convenience store")
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/02 17:22:46 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    Bottom line:  I am convinced that Guy Fieri would rave about a deep-fried turd on a stick.

Mr. Metroplex, I couldn't've said it better.  DDD spotlights places with a TV-ready atmosphere/attitude, and it doesn't matter how good the food is.  Fieri just taped a show at this little nouveau Southern place down the street from us in Cambridge that serves extremely mediocre food.  He'll probably rave about the pimento cheese (downright terrible and an insult to Southern cuisine), fried chicken (fair), gumbo (the best thing on the menu, and it's just pretty good), but the fare is overpriced.  Fieri is now a game-show host, if that tells you anything!    Chris
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8120
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/02 19:43:02 (permalink)
    $12 for ribs?  Unheard of in these parts.  We have to spend at least $19.95.

I looked at the site.  Is it in the Dallas Farmer's Market area?  That was the only address I found.

Bacon on Macaroni and Cheese would have ruined that for me.

Make that drive to Clark's Outpost!
    edboogie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/02 22:02:17 (permalink)
    I went to a bbq place in Memphis that Guy hyped called Marlowes. They had huge signed pictures of him all over the place.  Food looked good on the show.  It was the hands down worst bbq I ever ate.  Went at 12:15 for lunch, it is down the street from Graceland, and we were the only ones in the entire place.  I couldnt understand why.  But when I ate the ribs and pulled pork, I knew Fieri was a sell out.  I take any of his show's recommendations with a very large grain of salt. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/03 03:22:13 (permalink)
    What do you expect from a Guy who doesn't even know your sunglasses are supposed to go on the FRONT of your head!!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/03 09:33:24 (permalink)
    mar52

$12 for ribs?  Unheard of in these parts.  We have to spend at least $19.95.

I looked at the site.  Is it in the Dallas Farmer's Market area?  That was the only address I found.

For $19.95 I'll bet you get more than a measly two oversmoked 4" ribs,  <1/4# of pulled pork, a small scoop of one side, and no bread!  And, I had to pay for water!

And, yes, it is in the restaurant shed of the Dallas Farmer's Market.  That 'hood is so vile we would not have stopped were it not for the covered parking in the busy produce sheds.  

mar52

Make that drive to Clark's Outpost!

We have and found it to be delightful.  So far in our limited Texas BBQ adventures Clark's is the strong #2 behind only Tom & Bingo's in Lubbock.

(BTW:  As she was born and raised in Riyadh, Mrs. Metro, for cultural reasons, agrees with you on the "no bacon" on the mac 'n cheese.  But, IMHO, you guys don't know what you're missin'!).   

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/06/03 09:36:51
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/03 11:44:22 (permalink)
    Tourist food, owners not the least bit concerned with their personal reputations, concerned with making as much $ as possible. I give them 2 years. They don't deserve that.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5098
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/03 12:25:03 (permalink)
    Jim, sorry but I have to disagree with you on the brisket and ribs at Pecan Lodge.
    I eat lunch there fairly often and always ask for the fatty brisket. 
    That's, the key here. You have to specifically ask for it that way.
    It's the real deal! Moist, melt in your mouth goodness. I've never been disappointed. And, when they have them, the Wagyu burnt ends are excellent.
    I will say, their ribs are hit and miss. But, the last time I was there, the double cut ribs I ordered could be eaten with a spoon!
    I have no love for their sides so, I never order any. I just usually order a 1/3 LB of fatty brisket and a double center cut rib with sauce on the side. Of which I hardly touch. It's way too thick. Besides, as a Central Texas BBQ devote', I say if the meat is good, no sauce is needed! 

Jim, If you'd like to join me and a few friends for lunch again and give Pecan Lodge one more try ordering my way, let me know. It would be nice to see you again.

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/03 13:27:35 (permalink)
    Michael, I did notice that most on the line were folks who had just seen the DDD segment only a few days before.  The "regulars" came in and left (or ate at the deli) when they saw the line.  Indeed, I'd like to meet you for lunch there one day after our Summer Session ends and try it "your way". 
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/03 16:20:31 (permalink)
    You've got a deal, Jim! Afterwards, you'll have to bring home, one (or, more) of the little Bundt cakes for Mrs. Metroplex that are made and sold by "Ain't No MO" butter cakes across the aisle from Pecan Lodge. They're amazing!

There is much more to see and eat at Shed #2. Becker Seafood sells fresh from the gulf, head on under 10 shrimp for $11.95 LB! And, incredible fresh Scottish style smoked salmon for only $18.95 LB. 
    The best in Dallas! He's open Thursday-Sunday. The best day is Friday or Saturday. He's usually sold out of all the good stuff by Saturday afternoon.
    stillcajun
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/04 09:27:25 (permalink)
    I would have to agree on everything posted about Pecan Lodge by TwinWillow.  I've been there on occasion and have found that indeed to be the truth.  I'm not a big fan of mesquite smoking but they do a good job of curbing some of the bitterness that I feel mesquite provides.  I also second "Ain't No MO".  Their cakes are really good especially the "sock it to me" cake.  Make sure you get one on your way out.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8120
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/04 16:22:08 (permalink)
    That 'hood is so vile we would not have stopped were it not for the covered parking in the busy produce sheds.  

WOW, I guess I was oblivious to my surroundings.  We went to the Farmer's Market on a Sunday morning.  Walked away with a jar of Texas honey, a flat of strawberries and some East Indian spices I probably didn't need.

I guess there were enough people meandering around that area that I didn't notice.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/04 18:37:36 (permalink)
    mar52

That 'hood is so vile we would not have stopped were it not for the covered parking in the busy produce sheds.  

WOW, I guess I was oblivious to my surroundings.  We went to the Farmer's Market on a Sunday morning.  Walked away with a jar of Texas honey, a flat of strawberries and some East Indian spices I probably didn't need.

I guess there were enough people meandering around that area that I didn't notice.

There is absolutely, nothing iffy or vile about the Dallas Farmers Market area! I usually park outside Shed #2 and then walk around. There is plenty of parking adjacent Shed #2.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pecan Lodge, Dallas (seen on Guy Fieri's DDD) 2012/06/04 18:42:17 (permalink)
    stillcajun

I would have to agree on everything posted about Pecan Lodge by TwinWillow.  I've been there on occasion and have found that indeed to be the truth.  I'm not a big fan of mesquite smoking but they do a good job of curbing some of the bitterness that I feel mesquite provides.  I also second "Ain't No MO".  Their cakes are really good especially the "sock it to me" cake.  Make sure you get one on your way out.

Thanks. I'm not a big fan of Mesquite either. I usually prefer post oak as my smoking wood of choice. But, at Pecan Lodge, as you say, there is no "bitterness" in the smoke that's usually typical of Mesquite. And at Ain't No Mo, my favorite is the Tres Leche. They offer it with or without Caramel Sauce at no extra charge.
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/06/04 18:46:45
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1