Pecan Pie

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/07 19:50:34 (permalink)
My favorite pecan pie is a sweet potato pecan pie that I make every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is a recipe I got out of one Paul Prudhomes first books. It is supposed to be served with a chantilly whipped cream.

John
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/07 19:52:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
All this talk about Pecan Pie (caps mine) has got me to thinking. Years ago, there used to be an eatery in Atlanta... 1480 Peachtree St., N/W, I think it was... named Mammy's Shanty. They constantly advertised that they had the "World's Best Pecan Pie." I tasted it once (I was about 14 at the time and only a budding gourmet) and was reasonably impressed, but my mom sniffed and boasted that she could make better, if she really sat down and tried. It's just as well that she didn't attempt it, frankly, because I'm not much of a dessert eater anyway, and neither was my dad.
If some of you surf around a bit, you might uncover Mammy's Shanty's recipe online. It might even be on something like the Brown High School webpage. Happy hunting, and - if you run across it - let me know what y'all think.
Unnuttily, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I wonder what a good dose of blackstrap molasses would do to Pecan Pie? I know Mammy's Shanty used regular old molasses and not dark Karo syrup.

Blackstrap Mollasses is a art to do correctly. I have watched the Amish do it and they rake the green crap off of the top constantly. They claim it removes the bitterness of the product. I agree. I usually do not care for molasses, but the ones I tasted from the Amish group was very sweet and not bitter.

ORT, perhaps pecan pie from this product would be good, but until I do better, I want Karo Syrup.

Also I want it with Mello Joy Coffee and Mayfields Vanilla Ice cream.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
JulesF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/09 19:47:50 (permalink)
I use the following recipe with light Karo. It is great and very simple to make and I have never used dark Karo or any other syrup, molasses, etc. I like to keep the pecans in halves, and the best tip I have (whatever recipe you use) is TOAST THE PECANS FIRST! They stay more crisp and their flavor is richer.

TO TOAST PECANS: Put measured amount of pecans in a shallow baking pan and toast them in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, stirring once or twice. (This method works for toasting any kind of nut.)

Unless you have a penchant for the pecans getting a bit soggy in the pie, you won't be disappointed.

Variations on this recipe: Maple-Pecan Pie: substitute maple syrup for the corn syrup; Peanut (or Other nut) Pie: Substitute coarsely chopped peanuts, macadamia nuts or cashews for the pecans (toast first!); Coconut-Oatmeal Pie: substitute 3/4 cup coconut and 1/2 cup quick oats for the pecans. (The Macadamia is the only variation I've tried. It's very good, but I prefer the pecan!)

3 eggs
1 cup corn syrup (Karo), light or dark
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter(preferred)or margarine, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups pecan halves, toasted
Unbaked pastry for single crust pie

In mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly with rotary beater or a fork till combined (I use my KitchenAid mixer on low speed). Stir in corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla. Stir well. Stir in pecan halves.

Place pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate on the oven rack. Pour the filling into the pie plate. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20-25 more minutes, until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Cover and chill to store.

Enjoy,
JulesF

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/09 19:57:18 (permalink)
JulesF:

Thanks for the recipe. I like the idea of toasting the pecans first. One questions is would impriving the taste of the pecans first imprive the overall taste such as coating the pecans with salt and butter

what does covering the pie with foil do?

thanks for your advice.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
JulesF
Junior Burger
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/11 16:54:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

JulesF:

Thanks for the recipe. I like the idea of toasting the pecans first. One questions is would impriving the taste of the pecans first imprive the overall taste such as coating the pecans with salt and butter

what does covering the pie with foil do?

thanks for your advice.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7:

Covering the edge only of the pie with foil keeps the crust edge from overbrowning. (This is a good technique for any single-crust pie and many double-crust pie recipes I've seen also call for it. You are baking the pecan pie for close to an hour. An easy trick is cut the bottom out of a disposable foil pie pan that's the same or very close in size to the pan you're baking the pie in. Turn the resulting "ring" upside down on top of your pie. If the size is close, it'll work to shield the crust. Lots easier than messing with foil squares that don't want to stay on, and easier to retrieve-you can grab it without taking the pie out of the oven, and reuse it, too!)

As for your other question, I'm not sure I understand...If you mean adding salt and butter to the pecans before toasting them, I say try adding at least the salt. I think that would improve the pie. The sweet and salt together would be great! (Good idear!) (If this is not what you meant, write back!) As far as adding butter, I would think only sparingly. (The nuts have natural oils in them already. Adding butter might seem like overkill or make them greasy? Or maybe this is the way the Planter's people roast nuts???? Since you're adding extra oil, you'd probably have to toast them longer-and stir more often-to get them crisp.) Let me know if you try it.

In fact, you've given me an idea. I looked up my recipe for Vanilla Spiced Pecans for reference to see if I could figure out the butter thing. In case this helps with your question, the ratio of butter to pecans in that recipe is only 3 Tablespoons butter per pound of pecans.) ANYWAY, I think I'll put at least half vanilla spiced pecans in the pecan pie next time and see how that would taste!

Another tip that probably goes without saying: stock up on fresh pecans from the South when you travel there. (Are there pecan growers in TN?) (I have bummed or bought pecans from friends traveling in Georgia, but I don't know how far north they are grown. All I know is they are way better than the ones I can get from the supermarket here in Ohio! They freeze well, too.)

I'll write again in a week or so. Friday we are heading to Virginia--mountain side and beach side--for a week!

JulesF

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/12 18:48:08 (permalink)
JulesF:

You are exactly right on regarding the reason I toast the pecans in salt and butter before I make the pie. The combination of the salty buttery toasty pecans sort of offsets the super sweet pecan pie and brings extra flavor.

Thanks for the tip on how to protect the edges of the pie. You are right as they will burn and give the pie a not so good taste.

Just another taste, but Oooh so goood!!!!!!!!!!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/16 13:51:02 (permalink)
I looked up recipes for Derby pie and it looks similar to a Tollhouse pie, which is like a chocolate chip cookie pie. Is it much different?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/16 15:13:00 (permalink)
Derby pie---Take a Pecan Pie, add chocolate chips to the filling and you have one version.
Take off the top layer of Pecans (keep the ones in the filling) and replace it with a layer of fudge or chocolate icing and you have a second version.
See my photo on the 'favorite pie thread for a comparison.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/17 02:29:10 (permalink)
Wait a minute, pecan pie AND chocolate fudge, all in one dessert? Could it be? Now get that pie to do my taxes and I'll marry it.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/17 07:47:58 (permalink)
Elise,
I can't email'ya so I will post this one...Check the photo I listed on Stephen's "Worlds Best Pie Thread...In the photo is a regular and a choc.fudge pecan pie. The Moonlite uses a regular Pecan Pie filling...but instead of the top layer of crusty nuts they put a layer of double chocolate icing...as one would put on a cake. it is Outstanding...but does tend to dull the senses rather quickly.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/17 09:35:31 (permalink)
Does the chocolate plus pecan pie tend to give you the sugar shakes???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/17 11:05:19 (permalink)
yyyyyyyyyes, it does. And I never thought there would be a dish that could make great BBQ unappealing to me, but having a small piece of that pie made eating anything else a negative behavior !!
JulesF
Junior Burger
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/07/07 11:25:39 (permalink)
Sundancer7-I tried toasting the pecans with salt (no butter) when I made my 4th of July pecan pie. I didn't notice much difference, it was delish and the pecans were crispy, but I may not have used enough salt in the toasting. Any idea how much salt to use?

JulesF
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/07/07 11:37:04 (permalink)
In Louisiana the best commercial Pecan Pie that I have ever had is at Lea's in Lecompte. All of their pies are great, but the pecan is outstanding. Great crust (yes, it absolutely is made with lard, the key to fine crust) and lots of pecans to back up all of the Karo and eggs. A highly reccomended road spot when driving between Shreveport and Lafayette/NewOrleans/BR.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/07/08 16:47:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

In Louisiana the best commercial Pecan Pie that I have ever had is at Lea's in Lecompte. All of their pies are great, but the pecan is outstanding. Great crust (yes, it absolutely is made with lard, the key to fine crust) and lots of pecans to back up all of the Karo and eggs. A highly reccomended road spot when driving between Shreveport and Lafayette/NewOrleans/BR.

And they even have an annual "Pie Festival" in Lecompte (October) in honor of Lea's. Lea's web site says they have been in business since 1928 and the bake over 65,000 pies annually. I have personally tried to work my way down their menu, and every one is outstanding.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/07/08 18:34:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JulesF

Sundancer7-I tried toasting the pecans with salt (no butter) when I made my 4th of July pecan pie. I didn't notice much difference, it was delish and the pecans were crispy, but I may not have used enough salt in the toasting. Any idea how much salt to use?

JulesF

How I got my idea about using toasted pecans with salt and butter was in the airport. I occasionally bought pecans that were toasted with butter and salt while traveling in the airport. The buttery, salty taste made me think of my pecan pie and the ultra sweet taste. I thought the combination would be better. I tried it and for my taste, it worked.

I take my pecans and immerse them in butter and then salt them before I top my pecan pie. It adds a buttery, salty taste to the wonderful sweet taste of the pecan pie.

Sorta simple, but I liked it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/07/15 16:09:34 (permalink)
I knew someone who said their secret ingredient in their pecan pie was vinegar. What's that all about?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/07/15 19:13:08 (permalink)
EliseT: Mom uses vinegar in her pie. She claims it is to temper the extreme sugar taste. It is her recipe and I do not use it but I can tell a difference and it is good. I just ain't gonna copy mom!!!!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jackier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/07/31 00:23:16 (permalink)
I think I still have a wickedly good recipe for a pecan pie which is half cheesecake---I think it's in the old Lee Barnes Cooking School pb cookbook, from New Orleans. I think it'd work just fine to use 1/3 of any good cheesecake recipe, and top it w/ pecan pie filling, chock full of pecans, and then top with concentric circles of pecan halves. This is a very flavorful combo.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Pecan Pie 2003/07/31 03:06:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jackier

I think I still have a wickedly good recipe for a pecan pie which is half cheesecake---I think it's in the old Lee Barnes Cooking School pb cookbook, from New Orleans. I think it'd work just fine to use 1/3 of any good cheesecake recipe, and top it w/ pecan pie filling, chock full of pecans, and then top with concentric circles of pecan halves. This is a very flavorful combo.

A place here in Los Angeles has "Pecan cheesecake". They do the bottom half pecan pie, and the top half cheesecake.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1