Pecan Pie

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
2003/04/16 18:45:32 (permalink)

Pecan Pie

I went to school in Mississippi at a junion college at Decatur, Mississippi. down the street was a cafe called "Pearl's" I was on the meal plan at the school and every night after dinner, I went to pearl's and had a Coke and pecan pie. I do not know her secret, but I have never had it like that since. I was a combination of the most wonderful taste. I hope the Roadfood readers will give me their idea of a great pecan pie and hopefully one close to Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

49 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/16 19:14:07 (permalink)
    Paul,
    From experience, I know nothing about good mom & pop eateries in Knoxville save the one you mention over on Broadway... it just plain looks wondersome, and I can't wait to try it.
    Nashville, however, is a whole nother matter. Michael raves about the Belle Meade Buffet's pies, but I've never eaten there. I can, however, attest firsthand to the quality of the pecan pie at both The Sylvan Park Restaurant on Murphy Road (between West End and Charlotte Pike) and The Elliston Place Soda Shop over by Vandy.
    Bob's Barbecue in Guthrie, Kentucky had the best chess pie I ever tasted. It was on U. S. 41 at the south edge of town... an utterly unprepossessing cinderblock box of a place. I can't help but wonder if it's still there.
    Bon Appetit!
    Tenneseeing (Up To A Myopic Point!), Ort. Carlton.
    P. S. You might also try The Little Dutch on South Cumberland Street in downtown Morristown. I think they do their own baking there. That's only 42 miles or so from you.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/16 19:24:27 (permalink)
    Unpreposessing? dad gum good word. Seems like you know the area pretty good. I will do the Morristown thing as we race in Bristol in a few weeks. I will stop there and try your suggestion.

Incidentally, Louis has the best spaghetti sauce I have every had and I have travled 50 states, all of Canada, all of Europe, all of South America and all of central america.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/16 21:39:54 (permalink)
    Up here along the Ohio River, this is the season of the DERBY PIE. While there are many variations, and one legal trademark pie, in general it is a pecan or walnut pie with a layer of chocolate fudge on the bottom of the nutty syrup filling or on top over the layer of crusty nuts. I prefer the way they make it at the Moonlite BBQ down in Owensboro A pecan pie, with fudge slathered across the top. Since it is on the buffet with all the salads , BBQ and side dishes, and the other great desserts, you can do a piece, then go back for another if your sugar-meter will permit!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/16 22:28:26 (permalink)
    I love Pecan Pie !!! I like it best when it is made with Karo syrup and it is thick and gooey !!! My mother makes a pecan pie that is almost completely pecans. Good taste, but I like the gooey stuff with the pecans on top the best !

Mrs. Smith's pecan pie in the grocery store is a quick and good one if that is all you can get at the time !

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/18 16:41:11 (permalink)
    I second the nomination of Pie as the number 1 dessert food. Give me a piece of middle grade pie over the best of the cakes in the world any day.
    The top three flavors for me would be Pecan, Coconut cream, and Lemon Meringue but fresh berry (in season) could jump in front of all of these under the right circumstances.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/18 16:45:30 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor: Pecan Pie is number one but it really becomes the ultimate when it is hot with some great vanilli ice cream melting over it with your favorite coffee.

My favorite coffee is Mello Joy out of Lafayette, Louisiana. One of the oldest Louisiana brands and currently only sold in Lafayette.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    silvrlvr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/18 16:52:46 (permalink)
    The best pie is Lemon Meringue, followed by Key Lime Pie (the real kind with whipped cream on top NOT Meringue), followed by Chocolate Cream Pie, followed by Banana Cream Pie with pieces of banana in the custard.
    For fruit pies, there is nothing better than warm raspberry pie.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/18 17:39:51 (permalink)
    Silvr: When I have the time to do the real Key Lime pie, I do it from scratch. Using those tiny Key Limes are a bit of a hassel, but to do the orignal thing, you gotta use the original stuff. I also use the tiny Key Limes in my drinks. Always gets a comment. People think I am using malformed, malnourished lime. I also use a graham cracker crust and real heavy whipped cream for a topping on my pie.

Little do they know, they are getting a treat!!!

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/18 17:41:54 (permalink)
    The ultimate pecan pie is Hot, topped with your favorite vanilla ice cream along with a cup of your favorite coffee. My favorite is Mello Joy out of Lafayette, Louisiana
    kdiammond
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/19 11:11:41 (permalink)
    Well-- Most of my friends seem to love the Pumpkin Pecan on the holidays. This is a fresh (not canned) Pumpkin custard topped with a traditional brown sugar pecan topping. Always have to make appx 8 pies 'cause everyone wants one for home.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/21 08:27:16 (permalink)
    I have had the pumpkin pecan pie and it is very tasty. I like the plain better ! I have also had a chocolate pecan pie ! That was excellent, but very rich.

Pecan pie is my number one pie, I also like chocolate creme, cherry and apple. I like pumpkin and mince-meat, but only at thanksgiving ! I do not like meringue on any pie and I don't care for the citrus pies (eg lemon meringue and key-lime). I guess my taste buds just don't like those flavors.

I will put ice cream on cherry and apple pie, but that is it for me ! I really don't care for ice cream on pecan pie. I just like a rich, gooey and warm pecan pie !! The best !!!
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/21 14:37:56 (permalink)
    [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1414']Diana's[/url] in Charleston has my favorite pecan pie:

And if you drive to Nashville for fried chicken, I do believe [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=472']Sylvan Park[/url] has some spectacularly good pecan pie. If not, their other pies are worth the drive from Knoxville!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/04/23 16:41:59 (permalink)
    Michael, picture looks sorta pretty but a little well done around the edges. Anyway, I like Nashville and some of the Roadfood.com sites around there. I started a business there in 1976 and I believe due to the diversity of artist in the city, they brought diversity in food. Our company had about 50 employees there and at least half of them had another job working in the music industry, which did not pay them much money and even more worked with us, music industry and at restaurants. Had to make a living.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/05/22 02:45:34 (permalink)
    HOUSE OF PIES in LA, has a pie which is a layer of pecan pie topped with a layer of cheesecake. Out of this world!

SUNDANCER: If you aren't averse to fiddling with your recipes, I've found slipping a little cream cheese in my key lime pie puts it over the top.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/05/22 05:25:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

HOUSE OF PIES in LA, has a pie which is a layer of pecan pie topped with a layer of cheesecake. Out of this world!

SUNDANCER: If you aren't averse to fiddling with your recipes, I've found slipping a little cream cheese in my key lime pie puts it over the top.

Elise, something else in my Key Lime pie is real Key Limes. They are much smaller than the limes I ordinarily buy and they have a slightly different taste. I will use the cream cheese on the next one I do.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Browniebaker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/05/22 09:19:47 (permalink)
    What about how much pecan to put in the pie? I am partial to a pie that is chock-full of pecans. A nine-inch pie can take up to two-and-a-half cups of coarsely chopped pecans. I know the traditional pecan pie in the South has just a thin layer of pecans over a gooey clear filling, but this never seemed satisfying to me.

I also like my pecans to be chopped, not in halves.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/05/22 09:53:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Browniebaker

What about how much pecan to put in the pie? I am partial to a pie that is chock-full of pecans. A nine-inch pie can take up to two-and-a-half cups of coarsely chopped pecans. I know the traditional pecan pie in the South has just a thin layer of pecans over a gooey clear filling, but this never seemed satisfying to me.

I also like my pecans to be chopped, not in halves.

You know,, that is the cool thing about making your own stuff as you can add what you want. I also like a lot of pecans. I like the halved and I add them till it looks OK to me and then I bake it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/05/22 12:40:43 (permalink)
    My favorite version of Pecan pie is a sweet potato pecan pie. You get the crunchy sweetness of pecan pie with the filling goodness of a sweet potato pie.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/05/22 16:48:41 (permalink)
    I like making my pecan pies with dark karo.. my best one includes both chocolate and butterscotch chips along with the pecans.. it won a prize at the fair. I've always thought Marie Callendar's does a darn good straight pecan pie.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/05/22 23:54:44 (permalink)

Elise, something else in my Key Lime pie is real Key Limes. They are much smaller than the limes I ordinarily buy and they have a slightly different taste. I will use the cream cheese on the next one I do

I just saw real key limes fresh at the market for the 1st time ever here in LA. I can't wait to try them! Do you add zest as well as juice when you use them fresh?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/05/23 16:53:40 (permalink)
    I constantly see pecan pies with chocolate, caramel and other goodies. My personal preference is just pecan pie. I want it with a syrup base and a crust that has been baked brown and allowed to soak with the syrup. With pecan halves on top baked brown and toasty. In addition, I like them thin. Maybe less than 1/2 inch where they become something like a neat cookie.

Pecan pie is my favorite dessert.

To hop it up, I add Mayfield's ice cream and a cup of Mello Joy coffee from Lafayette, LA.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/02 21:33:39 (permalink)
    The most wonderful Southern Pecan Pie I have ever had,
    is from the "Bob Cotten Gourmet Pie Company" located in
    the quaint little village of Stowe Pennsylvania.

This is an award winning pie, not sold in stores.

Give Bob or Ed a call at the factory in Stowe PA.

Tell them their old friend Tom Barrett says hello.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/07 09:42:47 (permalink)
    Southern Pecan Pie in Stowe, PA

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/07 17:00:32 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    All this talk about Pecan Pie (caps mine) has got me to thinking. Years ago, there used to be an eatery in Atlanta... 1480 Peachtree St., N/W, I think it was... named Mammy's Shanty. They constantly advertised that they had the "World's Best Pecan Pie." I tasted it once (I was about 14 at the time and only a budding gourmet) and was reasonably impressed, but my mom sniffed and boasted that she could make better, if she really sat down and tried. It's just as well that she didn't attempt it, frankly, because I'm not much of a dessert eater anyway, and neither was my dad.
    If some of you surf around a bit, you might uncover Mammy's Shanty's recipe online. It might even be on something like the Brown High School webpage. Happy hunting, and - if you run across it - let me know what y'all think.
    Unnuttily, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I wonder what a good dose of blackstrap molasses would do to Pecan Pie? I know Mammy's Shanty used regular old molasses and not dark Karo syrup.
    cheryldale
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/07 17:39:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

The ultimate pecan pie is Hot, topped with your favorite vanilla ice cream along with a cup of your favorite coffee. My favorite is Mello Joy out of Lafayette, Louisiana
    cheryldale
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/07 17:42:30 (permalink)
    quote:

Can you tell me where I can find "Mello Joy" in Lafayette, Louisiana? Is it a bakery or restaurant? I am doing research on "great pies in Louisiana". Thanks very much! Cheryl
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/07 19:39:14 (permalink)
    I noticed The Mayor's 4/16 reference above to Derby Pie. I 've had it in a number of restaurants, including The Moonlighter, and have enjoyed all of them despite the fact pecan isn't my favorite pie. I do like the Derby types better than regular pecan, and recently at a potluck had the most tasty pecan pie believe I've I've ever eaten. It seemed to be more or less a regular pecan pie but with chocolate chips in it and with the chips not being melted and running together but remaining as individual, not fully melted chips. Sorry I was unable to learn who made that pie and to get the recipe for it. Another somewhat unusual, to me at least, pecan pie is the lemon-pecan served at Jones Cafe in Pine Bluff, AR. The lemon-pecan seems to be just a regular pecan pie but with enough lemon juice or lemon flavoring of some sort to give the sweet, gooey filling a distinctive lemon taste. It really doesn't sound very good but is quite delicious, quite refreshing. Anyone traveling through Pine Bluff should try Ma Jones' for her plate lunches, her hot apple relish (great on meats, peas, greens, etc.), and most of all, her pies. Although Ma passed away recently at the age of 100+, she was still coming to the restaurant on into her 90's to make the pies herself. Her heirs are carrying on the business in admirable fashion in all regards, including the great pies. Guess overall lemon and chocolate are my favorite pies, but at Ma Jones, believe the coconut custard is my favorite. Seems so often you are lucky enough to get it there just out of the oven, still warm. Its to die for!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/07 19:40:32 (permalink)
    "Mello Joy" is a old brand coffee of Louisiana. I believe it is the oldest coffee in Louisiana. It is only available in Lafayette or on their web site. Super delicious.

I buy several dozen packs every time I am in Lafayette.

Paul E. Smith

Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pecan Pie 2003/06/07 19:43:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cheryldale

quote:

Mello Joy does have a coffee shop downtown Lafayette. You can also get the coffe at the supermarkets in Lafayette.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1