Peggy Sues Diner

Author
snoby
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
2004/09/11 15:19:00 (permalink)

Peggy Sues Diner

I drive by Peggy Sues Diner quite often. It's on I 15 between LA and Las Vegas. It's a 50s diner. This time I stoped in for a chocolate malt. I looked at the menu and after taxes the cheeseburger costs over$7.00. The malt was one of the worst I ever had and the service was lousy. I won't stop there again.

25 Replies Related Threads

fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/11 17:29:01 (permalink)
    That's disappointing. I guess we've all done that: looked at a place for awhile, as we drive by off and on. Then, finally stopping in to try it. How great when it's great! But your experience was not good. Is it a true '50's diner, or a modern glitz that's supposed to resemble the '50's?

Frank
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4608
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/11 21:55:57 (permalink)
    Hmm

Am I the only one who read the subject of this thread, and took the 'Sues' as a verb, and expected to read about someone named Peggy filing a legal action against a diner?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/11 22:58:29 (permalink)
    I used to get to Peggy Sue's a couple of times a month. It is right next to a U P rail yard in Yermo where it was fun to watch the action.
    We didn't do the Malts or Shakes there, but the Burgers were good, Thr fries Hot and Salty, the music from the 'right' generation, and all in all not a bad place. It is not the place to look for a 19 cent burger...but it is cheaper than the Bun Boy in Baker, 50 miles up the road.
    A better burger deal on the east side of Barstow is TOM'S located just east of the RR Mcdonalds on E.Main and the I-15 interchange. Tom's has good burgers at half the price of Peggy Sue's, Plus a number of other sandwiches and Mex-Items to fill you up...with unliimited soda refills...not a small deal on a summer day in the desert. Plus the RR tracks run right behind the place...Great for us spotters.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 01:04:44 (permalink)
    Al, do you remember that place in Daggett? I can't recall the name, but it was the only cafe in town. It's been 20 years, so it's probably not there anymore.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 09:03:34 (permalink)
    Pete,
    I don't recall the name, but as memory serves it was closed before we moved out in 2000. We used the Tom's as our food source to stock us up for Yermo, Cadiz, Amboy, and especially Ludlow !! Great photo locations for train photography.

It is hard to explain, with me sitting here in the Bluegrass country, how attractive that desert area could be. But it is...too bad it is disappearing so quickly. I guess people tend to identify with the type of country they"grew-up" in. My first memories of "home" were of living in Victorville in the early 50's. My first Real Job was hanging what was called Community Antenna TV Cable in Apple Valley. That area has exploded in growth in the past decade...and like all of us on this site, I must mourn the loss of the old image and lifestyle.
    I guess that explains why we moved East. Life here is much less complicated.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 10:49:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Hmm

Am I the only one who read the subject of this thread, and took the 'Sues' as a verb, and expected to read about someone named Peggy filing a legal action against a diner?

TJ,

That is how I read it also because it ought to be Peggy Sue's Diner.

There is a book out called "Eats, roots, and leaves" that I have been planning on buying that is about the abuse of punctuation.

Cakes
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 10:53:26 (permalink)
    The apostrophe seems to me to be the most mis-used.

Frank
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 12:56:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cakes

quote:

Hmm

TJ,

That is how I read it also because it ought to be Peggy Sue's Diner.

There is a book out called "Eats, roots, and leaves" that I have been planning on buying that is about the abuse of punctuation.

Cakes

Maybe snoby can sue the diner.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 12:59:21 (permalink)
    I nominate Cake's post for "Miss-Used" Quote of the Thread !
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 13:38:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I nominate Cake's post for "Miss-Used" Quote of the Thread !
    I think it is 'Eats, shoots, leaves' not 'Eats, roots, leaves' but maybe cakes would rather eat roots than shoots, personally I would rather eat what eats the roots and shoots.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 14:52:58 (permalink)

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 19:52:56 (permalink)
    I think you missed the second line of the title...

"Eats, Shoots (or Roots), Leaves, The Autobiography of Yogi-Bear".

Not much sense in continuing this, I hear Peggy Sue Got Married !
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/12 21:58:40 (permalink)
    If you knew Peggy Sue, then you'd know why I feel blue.
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/13 14:23:52 (permalink)
    quote:

I think you missed the second line of the title...

"Eats, Shoots (or Roots), Leaves, The Autobiography of Yogi-Bear".

Not much sense in continuing this, I hear Peggy Sue Got Married !

Well I have no desire to eat Yogi Bear and, since I will be going off to Kamchatka in a few days, I sincerely hope he will return the consideration
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/13 14:45:41 (permalink)
    I read it the same way. I was thinking-wonder what Peggy had to sue to diner abou
    quote:

Hmm

michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/13 19:52:51 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, I passed through Barstow on Aug. 27. Is that exit from I-15 labelled "East Main"? I seem to remember signs for a McDonald's--so is Tom's on East Main just east of McDonald's? And how are the gas prices near there? I got off I-15 at the Lenwood exit, found an In-n-Out right there, but the gas prices there started at $2.50 and got worse. I suspect I will have to pass through Barstow repeatedly, so I'd like to know if that would be a good all-purpose stop, as I'd rather avoid Lenwood in the future. I'm not the only one who will be grateful if we can all pin that one down!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/13 20:31:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Mr. Mayor, I passed through Barstow on Aug. 27. Is that exit from I-15 labelled "East Main"? I seem to remember signs for a McDonald's--so is Tom's on East Main just east of McDonald's? And how are the gas prices near there? I got off I-15 at the Lenwood exit, found an In-n-Out right there, but the gas prices there started at $2.50 and got worse. I suspect I will have to pass through Barstow repeatedly, so I'd like to know if that would be a good all-purpose stop, as I'd rather avoid Lenwood in the future. I'm not the only one who will be grateful if we can all pin that one down!

I drive fairly often from San Francisco to Tucson through Barstow (580-->5-->46-->99-->58-->40-->95-->10. I try as hard as I can NOT to buy gas anywhere near there (or anywhere else along I-40 in CA including Needles). Usually, I leave with a full tank and refill in Tehachapi or "4 points" (intersection of 58 and 395). Then I try to make it to Parker, AZ because gas is so much cheaper in AZ. I'm not sure about Nevada if you are going 15 rather than 40, but I'd bet it's a lot cheaper there too.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/13 21:05:38 (permalink)
    Micheal.
    Yes it is just east of the McDonalds on E. Main St.... just a few feet...and they share some driveway space.
    About the Gas, I must yield to BT on that. I am not in the area presently, so can only rely on others who have been there recently. I would gas in Hesperia before heading east and stop in Kingman AZ where the prices are, as BT says, cheaper than the California Gas. I asked once if it was the 'special gas' that caused the CA gas to be higher...but a dealer in Kingman pointed to a truck filling the tanks at his station and said it came from SoCal with the same fuel..but cheaper prices for driving it all the way to Arizona.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/14 00:34:52 (permalink)
    quote:

Micheal.
    Yes it is just east of the McDonalds on E. Main St.... just a few feet...and they share some driveway space.
    About the Gas, I must yield to BT on that. I am not in the area presently, so can only rely on others who have been there recently. I would gas in Hesperia before heading east and stop in Kingman AZ where the prices are, as BT says, cheaper than the California Gas. I asked once if it was the 'special gas' that caused the CA gas to be higher...but a dealer in Kingman pointed to a truck filling the tanks at his station and said it came from SoCal with the same fuel..but cheaper prices for driving it all the way to Arizona.

CA does have specially formulated gas but it's possible they could be using it in AZ too. It's also possible the refineries in CA make gas formulated for other states. They tell us the CA stuff is more expensive to make whether or not that's true. And also, refineries in other states don't make it meaning that when a CA refinery has to shut down the supply of gas gets shorter and they jack up the price.

I do know that most of the gas used in Phoenix and points east comes from Texas via a pipeline owned by the Kinder-Morgan Company--that's what broke (near Tucson) a year or so ago and left most of Phoenix gasless for about 2 weeks. Eventually, they managed to provide some gas through another Kinder-Morgan pipeline from SoCal that normally carries aviation fuel.

Both Kingman and Parker (and Quartzite too) are right across the border, though and it wouldn't surprise me if they just get their gas from CA wholesalers.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/14 06:29:35 (permalink)
    Is this the Peggy Sue's Diner that MSN used in their butterfly print ads a few months ago? They were touting the ability to find good food on the road using their browser ( but they don't menion roadfood.com specifically.) Its funny because it doesn't sound like Peggy Sue's is a good roadfood kind of place.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/14 08:26:56 (permalink)
    Tristan
    It is an ok place. I don't consider Bastow much of a Roadfood Mecca. I like Tom's, but it is a Burger Stand, with limited menu. Peggy Sue's has a wider menu but I have never tried anything but the Burgers. I would probably classify Peggy Sue's as a desert outpost with no competition, that is playing on the Vegas-L A traffic with a retro-image. If it wasn't for the ability to watch the military trains unload tanks etc headed for training exercises at Ft Irwin, I probably would not stop there again. The train unloading facility is just across the road from the diner.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/14 12:02:41 (permalink)
    quote:

I would probably classify Peggy Sue's as a desert outpost

Mr Mayor,

I misread this as dessert outpost and got me thinking about Hesperia and those mile high pies!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/14 12:17:25 (permalink)
    Tristan,
    Recent rainfall in the area has caused some major flooding and washout trouble in those High Desert Communities. It seems so odd that here in Indiana we can get a couple of inches of rain in a few hours, and it causes minor inconvenience at times.... But there, where the soil is Loose sand in most rural areas, an inch of rain causes major runoff damage. You'd think the rain would soak in immediately. I guess I don't understand the physics of Waterfall.
    Anyway, Yeah those Pies are like a magnet for us when we roadtrip west. I could do a lot of damage to a Lemon Meringue right about now.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4119
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/14 14:58:56 (permalink)
    Last time I went to Phoenix there was close to a 30 cent difference between Blythe and Quartzite gas stations. I made sure to fill up in AZ before crossing the border on the way back. This last weekend, stations in the Las Vegas area were about 10 cents cheaper than in SoCal. On the way over......I also got low on gas on my way out from LA with no decent station around and had to fill up in a little station at Halloran Summit, about 30 miles for the Nevada border. $3.15 for premium------I got $5.00 to hold me----wasn't gonna pay for highway robbery!
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Peggy Sues Diner 2004/09/16 17:43:28 (permalink)
    BT, you're right, I bought gas that was reasonalbe at 4 Points in June. Ed, good for you for buying the minimum. I get so flustered at my partner when he says "Who cares how much it costs." I bought $5 worth of gas in Needles in July, enough to get to Kingman.

The big picture here is when we avoid overpriced gas, the merchants get the idea and make their pricing more reasonable, so this benefits everyone.

Snoby, thanks for bringing up this subject. I've looked at those signs for Peggy Sue's and wondered. Now we're all in a better position to pass through those areas as economically and as well-fed as possible.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1