Pellets for Traeger smoker----what do you like?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
Re:Updated!!!!! Re:Pellets for Traeger smoker----what do you like? 2013/04/03 18:49:18 (permalink)
mar52

Both Lynx grills and Twin Eagle  (Same designer) are awesome.  Cost the price of a small house but awesome just the same.

I do not own one.

Yes, at the cookoff I did talk with one of the Lynx reps. Nice guy, loved to talk. I did ask how much the model they were using at the "Grill Off" was. I really liked it. I think I might have been able to trade straight across , my 2006 Scion tc for the Lynx he was showing me. Well, I might have still had to kick in some cash!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Updated!!!!! Re:Pellets for Traeger smoker----what do you like? 2013/04/07 01:23:34 (permalink)
Ok, my bad. I got the Traeger this afternoon and had friends over for dinner. Fired it up with apple pellets. By the time I got my camera out the smoked shrimp wrapped in proscuitto and topped with a chimichurri sauce were gone.  Here's the cornish game hens smoked for an hour. Extremely moist and juicy. Rubbed them in olive oil, rubbed with Penzey's French four spice and Penzy's Albanian sage. Served with fresh asparagus. Side dish was basmati rice, steamed. I sauteed chantrelles, crimini and white button mushrooms in olive oil and black truffle oil. The mushroom chunks had marinated for two hours in the black truffle oil. After cooking them I added to the finished rice and gently folded together. Everyone loved it!
The Traeger is great!

post edited by EdSails - 2013/04/07 09:42:10
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8401
Re:Updated!!!!! Re:Pellets for Traeger smoker----what do you like? 2013/04/07 01:46:58 (permalink)
So...  Ya loving it?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Updated!!!!! Re:Pellets for Traeger smoker----what do you like? 2013/04/07 09:37:09 (permalink)
Absolutely, Mar! I plated the shrimp with the chimichurri sauce and everyone ate them standing in the kitchen, so I missed my photo op. It seems really easy to use. I can't wait to try a brisket on it. Duck is also on the agenda. what I am wondering is how it would do with a cut like either mutton or goat. I would love to put a piece of goat on that is slathered with jerk sauce. Some red beans and rice and callaloo and I'd be set. Ya mon!
Cleanup seems really easy to. So far I am loving it.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Pellets for Traeger smoker----what do you like? 2013/04/07 10:03:06 (permalink)
RodBangkok

Mesquite, Hickory, and alder are good for someone as a gift. 
There is a great variation in their smoking characteristics, and can be mixed to get a creative taste to different types of meat, poultry and game.
We use these primarily.
It should be noted that although I can't speak for the Traeger brand pellets, most good pellets are nothing more than 100% pure wood that are simply milled and then compressed under high pressure to form the pellet.  No additives need be added, but I'm sure cheaper pellets could be blends of cheaper substances as binders along with real wood.  Check when you buy.
Why do we use pellets, simple, you can get all the advantages of wood with a very accurate way of getting the smoke to the meat.  Pellets allow you to control very carefully when , how long and with how much smoke you apply.  They are also easily blended accurately to insure you make consistant product.
It really is annoying when you see wanna be's that think they know it all about something make generalized statements like some of the above.  Pellets in a lot of cases are nothing more than 100% wood period.  
So I think its a good idea to give your friend a variation to try, and encourage him to weigh and blend them, as he may find a nice combination that will go well with a certain type of meat.
Home and commercial BBQ couldn't be further from this competition crap that everyone seems to hold in high esteem.  It's designed to try and sell someone that may not even be qualified to say this one is better than that one with nothing but one bite and a couple overrated tests on how it should break apart.  I know some that won't eat or produce what they'd cook for a competition.  I've never been impressed by that facet of BBQ, nor do I see it anything other than it is, a profession or hobby onto itself.  

Rod,
Your comments seem right on point. I did check out the Q-Pellets before I bought them for my friends and they are 100% wood with no fillers. When I bought the Traeger I bought a bag of apple and a bag of cherry Traeger pellets. This week I am going to buy a bag of red oak and a bag of hickory from Q-Pellets. It will be interesting to try them.
As far as some of the other comments I think you alluded to, I agree. I've smoked with wood before and like it. It is a mess though and hard to do without a real smoker. This is a nice smoker for wood I wish I had, at Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, TX.

Not very practical for the home. But boy, did it make some wonderful Texas brisket! Lump charcoal----well, I won't even touch that comment.
Years ago I was asked to take a class with someone to be a KCBS judge. On that too, you are right. I am not looking to make competition ribs, brisket and chicken. What I am looking for now is the not only make good quality ribs, pulled pork and brisket (not necessarily with "sanctioned" spices) but challenge my creativity by coming up with some unusual smoked dishes. I can't wait to do lamb, duck, pork loin, mutton, goat, halibut, short ribs and an apple cobbler. I respect the competition chefs immensely and have been to many contests. I'm not trying to compete with them. My purpose in getting the Traeger, is simple----I want to make the best 'que possible in a home environment for my friends.

Can you suggest any good combinations of pellets you have found towork well together? Or any types of food I haven't yet thought of to smoke? maybe also interesting spices that go well with smoke?
thanks,
Ed
post edited by EdSails - 2013/04/07 10:13:21
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1