Pennsylvania Cuisine

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10100
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/20 15:54:09 (permalink)
If you want some REAL PA Lebanon Bologna, not the junk they sell in supermarkets outside of PA, go to:

http://www.seltzerslebanonbologna.com

Now THAT'S the Real Deal!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/20 16:19:54 (permalink)
If you've ever been to a football game at Beaver Stadium, AKA "The Temple of JoePA" & home of the Nittany Lions of Penn State University, you've probably eaten a Kessler's Nittany Lion Frank, The OFFICIAL Hot Dog of Beaver Stadium. They're made by Kesslers Foods of LaMoyne PA, just down the road from State College. They will ship them.

JoePa's pre-game ritual includes eating one Nittany Lion Frank before every game for good luck. For the 1st time in his entire coaching career, he neglected to have one before the Wisconsin Game and look what happened---- a loss and a broken leg.

Visit: http://www.kesslerfoods.com/about.html
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/20 16:22:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

pepper pot soup

ooooh yeah. Love that tripe.
Sheetzaholic
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/22 01:37:37 (permalink)
There has been a lot of discussion about pretzels which certainly are a PA thing, but chips ain't too far behind. Actually, I've heard that PA is one place that Lay's cannot get a toe hold. The proof for me is walking down the snack isle and there are so many local/regional companies (Middleswarth, UTZ, Snyder of Hanover, Snyder of Berlin, Kay and Rays, Bickles, Troyer Farms, etc. etc.) It may not be unique to PA, but certainly well loved and much produced.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/22 02:44:57 (permalink)
Tastykakes got only one passing mention. Available widely, but invented in Philadelphia.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6647
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/22 05:43:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

Here's one that I think of as PA-specific; chow-chow. You know, corn relish.

Under the looser definition,

cheesesteaks
pierogies (I know the Twardziks of Mr T's fame!)
noodles and cabbage
kolbasi
apple dumplings
stuffed cabbage
sausage w/peppers and onions
pagach (potato pizza)
german potato salad
Hazleton and Old Forge style pizza
Primanti style sandwiches (as an aside, "Pittsburgh style" fast food means putting the fries on the burger)
game meat & fish, specifically venison, wild turkey, and trout

To me, those are the foods that define our state.

Tom

I think you pretty much hit it right on the head. And while PA has a large population of Amish, German, Polish, Serbian, Russian, Ukranian and other nationalities, the Pgh. area has a large population of Italians, thus PA Macaroni Co. which I plan to visit in 10 days. There are several notable Italian restaurants, but it seems to be the "cucina della Nona".
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/22 12:18:23 (permalink)
Italian water ice is another specialty generally given as invented in Philadelphia.

And of course, as has been mentioned, the PA pretzel, such as at the Intercourse Pretzel Factory http://www.intercoursepretzelfactory.com/.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/22 12:44:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

Italian water ice is another specialty generally given as invented in Philadelphia.

And of course, as has been mentioned, the PA pretzel, such as at the Intercourse Pretzel Factory http://www.intercoursepretzelfactory.com/.

When I grew up in NYC, we always had "Italian Ice". I am wondering about your "Water Ice" (Wooder ice as I recall). I know Rita's is big in PA, but we had sp much in NYC too, certainly in Italian bakeries, in cups in the fresser in delis and in squeezie cups" the sort of pleated cups they would scoop out in corner ice shops. Is it the same?
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/22 13:43:28 (permalink)
I think there is a difference -- water ice is closer to sorbet than ice cream or sherbert.

Yep -- it's the Philly wooder.

Anyway, I defer to the source of all knowledge: Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_ice
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/11/22 15:44:30 (permalink)
I have a package of Seltzer beef balogna in the fridge right now; good stuff! But expensive, 6oz was something on the high side of $4. I don't remember what. But man; garlicky, beefy, good!

Tom
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

If you want some REAL PA Lebanon Bologna, not the junk they sell in supermarkets outside of PA, go to:

Now THAT'S the Real Deal!

Sheetzaholic
Hamburger
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/02 12:54:58 (permalink)
how could I leave out shoefly pie??????
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/03 14:06:01 (permalink)
Just saw a jar of Baumann's jams and fruit butters (pumpkin, apple, apricot, sweet tomato) in a local health food store in NYC. I remember Baumann's from Bucks/Berks Counties in PA. So delicious!

and from Sassamanville PA (what a great name for a town that makes jams and jellies!!)

http://www.baumanfamily.com/

Bauman's started in 1892 when John W. Bauman purchased a cider press and operated it with the steam engine in his carriage manufacturing shop. Soon he began cooking apple butter for farmers of the community. They called it "lattwaerrick" in their Pennsylvania German dialect.

He used the apple butter recipe his wife had received from her Schwenkfelder ancestors, who had settled in southeastern Pennsylvania alongside John's Mennonite forefathers.

In 1734 the followers of Caspar Schwenckfeld came to Pennsylvania as Christian refugees from Silesia, seeking freedom of worship. They survived on the high seas due in part to an ample supply of apple butter, a fruit product that keeps its goodness without preservatives or refrigeration. On arrival they celebrated with a meal of bread and apple butter, an occasion still commemorated in Schwenkfelder churches.

Before long John Bauman's apple butter business had replaced his carriage shop. As satisfied customers spread the word the business has continued to grow since the turn of the century.

Now in the third generation Bauman's Apple Butter Factory is still a family operation in the Nineteenth Century village of Sassamansville.

Juli Jane
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/14 23:09:40 (permalink)
I grew up in NJ, but have lived in TX for many years. Part of my family is Penn. Dutch, and I lived across the Delaware from Philly as a child. I remember:

Chicken Corn Soup
Chicken Pot Pie (with slices of potatoes and square egg noodles)
Habersett's Scrapple
Taylor Pork Roll
Cheesesteak Hoagies
FRESH Tastykakes
Soft Pretzels
Sweetzels Ginger Cookies
Philadelphia-style Ice Cream (including hand-dipped Breyer's Cherry Vanilla)
Cooked Red Cabbage
Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut
Water Ice
"Drink-A-Toast" (from NJ - Burlington, specifically)
Just to name a few
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/14 23:30:52 (permalink)
Hey what about those red beet pickeld eggs? PA only?
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2293
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/14 23:38:01 (permalink)
For an admitted outsider, when it comes to Pennsylvania food, I'm thinking Lebanon balogna(just don't make it sweet),mushrooms around Reading, Philadelphia pretzels, cheezesteaks and Straub's Beer. I would be willing to interview other applicants.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/14 23:58:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

For an admitted outsider, when it comes to Pennsylvania food, I'm thinking Lebanon balogna(just don't make it sweet),mushrooms around Reading,

Wait, isn't Kennett Square PA the "Mushroom Capital of the World?"
In fact when you drive around Chester County, you see all these long low white buildings with no windows aka mushroom "farms"

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/roadtrip1.html

Mushroom Capital of the WorldMushroom Capital of the World
"Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
No U.S. state produces more mushrooms than Pennsylvania. So it makes sense that here, in the heart of mushroom country, one would find the Phillips Mushroom Museum. Established in 1972, the museum chronicles three generations of the mushroom-farming Phillips family beginning with Pennsylvania mushroom pioneer William W. Phillips, a man who really knew his shiitake."

Now, who woulda thunk mushrooms are a Pennsylvania Specialty?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/15 01:42:32 (permalink)
quote:

For an admitted outsider, when it comes to Pennsylvania food, I'm thinking Lebanon balogna(just don't make it sweet),mushrooms around Reading, Philadelphia pretzels, cheezesteaks and Straub's Beer. I would be willing to interview other applicants.

STRAUBS BEER????? That's made in my home town, St Marys, PA. How do you know about Straubs Beer living in TN? (I lived in Brentwood TN too)
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/15 17:21:54 (permalink)
"Ivin's Famous Spiced Wafers" are one of my favorite cookies available in the Fall only in the Philadelphia area, I believe. And if I'm not mistaken, you can only get them at ACME supermarkets, but I saw a number of sites online where they can also be purchased.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/15 17:28:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

For an admitted outsider, when it comes to Pennsylvania food, I'm thinking Lebanon balogna(just don't make it sweet),mushrooms around Reading,

Wait, isn't Kennett Square PA the "Mushroom Capital of the World?"
In fact when you drive around Chester County, you see all these long low white buildings with no windows aka mushroom "farms"

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/roadtrip1.html

Mushroom Capital of the WorldMushroom Capital of the World
"Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
No U.S. state produces more mushrooms than Pennsylvania. So it makes sense that here, in the heart of mushroom country, one would find the Phillips Mushroom Museum. Established in 1972, the museum chronicles three generations of the mushroom-farming Phillips family beginning with Pennsylvania mushroom pioneer William W. Phillips, a man who really knew his shiitake."

Now, who woulda thunk mushrooms are a Pennsylvania Specialty?

I think there's some big mushroom farms over around Butler PA. They grow them in caves I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a while since I first learned about it.
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/15 18:00:13 (permalink)
They did grow mushrooms in western PA, I think in abandoned coal mines. There are also some farms in Berks County. Kennett Square is the mushroom capital though.
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/15 20:18:44 (permalink)
You can never have the same scrapple twice in PA.

That is one of my truisms about PA. I am not a native but have been visiting for about 45 years and have never had the same scrapple twice. I do always order it though...the variations always amaze me and that is what I think I like about it. Scrapple is so ingrained in PA culture that it almost has to have an individual personality and I am glad it does. It is not even regional, one can have two very different scrapple dishes from vendors right across the street from each other. That is one of the things I love about PA.

I do not know if slippy pie is unique to PA, but it is the only place I have encountered it. The versions I have had are usually pot pies with noodles instead of a pastry crust which is fine with me. I have had versions that incorporate both pastry and noodles.

PA food is a huge topic because it is so diverse and I for one am glad it is.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/15 21:09:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

You can never have the same scrapple twice in PA.

That is one of my truisms about PA. I am not a native but have been visiting for about 45 years and have never had the same scrapple twice. I do always order it though...the variations always amaze me and that is what I think I like about it. Scrapple is so ingrained in PA culture that it almost has to have an individual personality and I am glad it does. It is not even regional, one can have two very different scrapple dishes from vendors right across the street from each other. That is one of the things I love about PA.

I do not know if slippy pie is unique to PA, but it is the only place I have encountered it. The versions I have had are usually pot pies with noodles instead of a pastry crust which is fine with me. I have had versions that incorporate both pastry and noodles.

PA food is a huge topic because it is so diverse and I for one am glad it is.

SCRAPPLE IS LIKE POTATO SALAD--- NO 2 BATCHES COME OUT THE SAME
LeeMargo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/16 18:53:48 (permalink)
HOAGIES=Philadelphia. I went to school outside of the Philadelphia area and found that EVERYone calls a hoagie a sub...ANNOYING. Hoagie is def. a Philly thing.
Sheetzaholic
Hamburger
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/16 18:56:54 (permalink)
I'm glad to see that other recognize the quality and variation of Scrapples in Penna. I find them a lot like our many regional chips (UTZ, Middleswarth, Snyders of Berlin, Martin's, etc. etc.). The scrapples too are very much the artistry of the butcher and our company and no two are the same! Speaking of potato chips, I would also like to know what are folks favorite PA chips. I prefer Middleswarth Ket-L Barbq; however, you cannot find them in Pittsburgh so I have to stock up whenever I'm in Central PA...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/16 20:10:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sheetzaholic

I'm glad to see that other recognize the quality and variation of Scrapples in Penna. I find them a lot like our many regional chips (UTZ, Middleswarth, Snyders of Berlin, Martin's, etc. etc.). The scrapples too are very much the artistry of the butcher and our company and no two are the same! Speaking of potato chips, I would also like to know what are folks favorite PA chips. I prefer Middleswarth Ket-L Barbq; however, you cannot find them in Pittsburgh so I have to stock up whenever I'm in Central PA...

Another one that's hard to find outside the PA area is Wise Potato Chips
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/16 22:35:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

They're all over NYC. They are the "normal" chips we get day to day. Didn't even know they were from PA!

Another one that's hard to find outside the PA area is Wise Potato Chips
Rauhoole
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/20 21:57:19 (permalink)
I had to read this whole thread, and all the time I was shouting "what about Lebanon Bologna", Whalla Some one finally got to it . As Pennsylvalia Dutch as dutch can go. Though Scrapple has spread south, I still can't find good Lebanon Bologna. Book marked link thanks
Rauhoole
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/20 22:01:23 (permalink)
Mushroom Capital of the world is Avondale.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/20 22:47:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rauhoole

I had to read this whole thread, and all the time I was shouting "what about Lebanon Bologna", Whalla Some one finally got to it . As Pennsylvalia Dutch as dutch can go. Though Scrapple has spread south, I still can't find good Lebanon Bologna. Book marked link thanks

In case you missed it:
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine 2006/12/21 05:46:55 (permalink)
quote:

how could I leave out shoefly pie??????
I remember an old song about Pa. foods with that in the title. It was by the late and great Stan Kenton "Shoefly pie and Apple pandowdy" sung by Julie Chirstey I belive. Chow Jim
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1