Pennsylvania Cuisine

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 74
Sheetzaholic
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 0
Pennsylvania Cuisine - Thu, 11/16/06 8:39 PM
I would like to know what fellow Pennsylvanians consider OUR food. I'll start it w/ Scrapple, Chicken Corn Soup, and Primanti's. However, I would love to know what other Keystoner's think of as our "cuisine". I also know that PA is regionally diverse so please mention what part of the Commonwealth you are from.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Thu, 11/16/06 9:20 PM
Unique Pretzels.

(I used to live in Bucks County and while I know pretzels=PA, there is nothing as unique as Unique.)

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 7:13 AM
Sweet and ring bologna from Weaver's in Lancaster; Shoo-fly pies; dewey buns; pepper cabbage.

rebeltruce
  • Total Posts : 698
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 8:31 AM
Chicken or Beef Pot Pie, not a crusted pie, but more of a stew, with flat slippery noodles and potatoes.

Chicken and waffles...roasted chicken with gravy, and mashed potatoes.

Lebanon Bologna

I am originally from Centre County, State College area.

NYNM
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 10:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

Sweet and ring bologna from Weaver's in Lancaster; Shoo-fly pies; dewey buns; pepper cabbage.

Pepper cabbage is a good choice, but what are dewey buns?

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 11:05 AM
I would be remiss if I didn't list cheesesteaks as a Pennsylvania food...from Southeastern PA.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 11:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

Pepper cabbage is a good choice, but what are dewey buns?

Dewey Buns recipe is at: http://www.geocities.com/napavalley/2267/amish.html (click on "Dewey Buns")

tarragon
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 12:03 PM
Uh... Philadelphia Sticky Buns?! *lol* Because I swear, there is -nowhere- that you can find them quite like they're made in the Philadelphia area (okay, in Wilmington DE environs, yes--please not the proximity to PA though!)

Capybara91
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 6:00 PM
Tastycakes and Iron City beer.

gottatravel
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 6:52 PM
As a native of the Ephrata (Home of Miss America 1954) and Lancaster area of Pennsylvania a couple of items I consider pretty local and difficult to find elsewhere are,
1. Cup Cheese 2.Pickled Tripe 3. Real Dried Beef

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17832
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 8:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I would be remiss if I didn't list cheesesteaks as a Pennsylvania food...from Southeastern PA.

Shoot. You'd feel you were being remiss if you didn't list cheesesteaks in a conversation about gathering hops to make beer.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 8:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

Shoot. You'd feel you were being remiss if you didn't list cheesesteaks in a conversation about gathering hops to make beer.

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 11/17/06 9:42 PM
It's the sort of food that rolls its sleeves up and feeds you until you are full.
The Bear

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 11/18/06 12:28 AM
I'm from St Marys, PA. We're famous for being the home of Straubs Beer and Christmas Sausage. Christmas sausage is made by individuals and several grocery stores. The individuals make it with Venison , beef and a little pork and it's heavily seasoned and smoked primarily using Applewood. The markets exclude the Venison. It's usually made from October to Febuary and is unique to the town.
Straub Beer is a family business and is made with no perservatives. They've been in business for 175 years, making them one of the oldest continous famly operated breweries in America. They are famous for their Eternal Tap. Visit their web site http://www.straubbeer.com/history.htm

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 11/18/06 1:43 AM
Two of my sisters have the same MIL, and she is from Pennsylvania. Her cooking is the worst I have ever tasted. I'm really sorry to say that, but she overcooks the devil out of ANY meat, and the rest of her dishes seem to be invariably bland and boring. Her dumplings are tasteless, and even the sauerkraut seems to have any flavor cooked or boiled out of it.

The only thing I've ever liked of her cooking are the apple dumplings.

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 11/18/06 1:45 AM
Oh, she also makes something called "copes corn." She always wants to bring it to Thanksgiving, and I'm afraid only she and her sons will eat it. None of the rest of us can stomach it.

And I'm not trying to be obnoxious or rude! It really does seem very bland and tasteless to the rest of us.

brookquarry
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 11/18/06 8:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Oh, she also makes something called "copes corn." She always wants to bring it to Thanksgiving, and I'm afraid only she and her sons will eat it. None of the rest of us can stomach it.

And I'm not trying to be obnoxious or rude! It really does seem very bland and tasteless to the rest of us.

Copes corn is a Lancaster County product made by the John Cope Company of Rheems Pa.

It is dried corn (either yellow or white) either canned or frozen.

I love it, but in my experience it is somewhat of an aquired taste for those who did not grow up eating it. To me it has sort of a nutlike flavor.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2934
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 11/18/06 10:03 AM
There are a lot of prepackaged foods that are indigenous to PA, but would they qualify as "cuisine"? I dunno. Maybe as a group the pretzels and potato chips of the Lancaster area might.

I'd say maybe homemade kielbasa/kolbasi; I've seen it in grocery stores from SW PA to NE PA.

Venison chili, maybe? But that's more of a rural cuisine anywhere, not just PA.

After that, I really doubt that there is anything that is so uniquely Pennsylvanian that I would call it a Pennsylvanian cuisine. Anything PA Dutch can also be found in Dutch settlements in Indiana or New York, for example. And regional examples don't scale well to the entire state; Primanti's is meaningless in Scranton, cheesesteaks mean nothing in Erie. Old Forge pizza is not applicable in Harrisburg.

Maybe someone can change my mind on this?

NYNM
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 11/18/06 11:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

There are a lot of prepackaged foods that are indigenous to PA, but would they qualify as "cuisine"? I dunno. Maybe as a group the pretzels and potato chips of the Lancaster area might.

I'd say maybe homemade kielbasa/kolbasi; I've seen it in grocery stores from SW PA to NE PA.

Venison chili, maybe? But that's more of a rural cuisine anywhere, not just PA.

After that, I really doubt that there is anything that is so uniquely Pennsylvanian that I would call it a Pennsylvanian cuisine. Anything PA Dutch can also be found in Dutch settlements in Indiana or New York, for example. And regional examples don't scale well to the entire state; Primanti's is meaningless in Scranton, cheesesteaks mean nothing in Erie. Old Forge pizza is not applicable in Harrisburg.

Maybe someone can change my mind on this?

Mosca: I thought about what you said, but I have to disagree with many of your premises.

First of all, much "regional" food can be found throughout the US (SW tacos, burritos, sold all over, NE clam chowder, etc.) but the ORIGIN of the food is local. Second, many states are geographically and historically diverse (upstate NY is vastly different from NYC).

"States" are basically political entities that may or may not reflect local realties or boundaries. What about concepts like "tri-state regions", Wash-MD-Va, Delmarva, etc? Many states also developed from different migratory routes (Eastern PA=Europe, esp. Germany, Northern PA=upstate NY, Southwest PA= Appalachia), similar in MD and VA (Eastern shore vs. Weestern mountains), also Indiana, Ohio (North vs. South)

Sometimes I find the nicest surprises around state line boundaries rather than in the center(I have also found this around county boundaries!), esp. with architecture - more "older" away from the center.

So, once I got further, and looser in definitions, I enjoy the "PA" cuisine idea - maybe would like to hear other states, too.

PS. Pretzels are "food" to me!

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 11/18/06 11:12 AM
While most items can be found "somewhere else", porketta and Old Forge Pizza are more than likely "special treats" to those visiting the Northeast corner of the state.

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 11/18/06 11:23 AM
Mosca, actually, a friend in Hershey told me that an "Old Forge Pizza" place has opened. Another once told me about a restaurant that featured OFP in Marin County, California!?!! It was "pretty good", he said, "for California Pizza".

Mosca
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 11/18/06 1:03 PM
OK, here's the thing I'm getting at. You can definitely say that a burrito is southwestern cuisine, and kielbasa or noodles and cabbage are a northeastern cuisine. But can you also attach them to a state? Would burritos be New Mexican or Arizonan? Is noodles and cabbage Pennsylvanian or New Yorkian (knickerbocker Dutch)? New Mexico and Arizona were both parts of the Mexican territory taken in the 1840s. Many Dutch settlements that didn't spread from PA but rather were directly from Europe. If they'd spread from PA I could see that as an exported PA cuisine, but New York Knickerbockers and PA Dutch have equal immigrant status.

Is Old Forge Pizza signifigantly different enough from pizza to qualify not as a regional food, but as a "cuisine"?

I'm open to having my mind changed, but I'll need reasons. Regional cuisines I can accept. But state? I have a hard time with that.

Stan, I was trying to find your old posts about the Anthracite. We've gone there the last two Wednesdays, with mixed opinions. I liked the flavor of the stuffed pork tenderloin but it was dry, and the gravy reduction was way too salty. I thought the pulled pork was "eh", OK enough but nothing mind blowing. MJ liked the crab cakes and the langostinos. We liked the banana cake but thought the chocolate cake was way over the top, too sweet. I'd love to go on Tuesday, but my day off shifted.

Tom

Sheetzaholic
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 11:52 AM
First, I would like to give a shout out to St. Mary's and Straub Beer! Been there many many times and I love both the place and the product. I have never heard of the sausage, but I want to try it.

As for the cuisine discussion, I hope that nobody takes this too seriously. I am not only a sheetzaholic, but a Pennsylvaniac. Therefore, I just want to know what fellow Keystoners (new comers too...) think of us as distinctly Pennsylvanian. I do have to say that many of our Dutch traditions have traveled with expatriots and that's fine, but I am interested in what people think of as "our" foods...so maybe I should strike the cuisine part??? Anyway, if you like it and you think it is unique to the Commonwealth. I'm interested. PS - I love Cope's Corn + stock up on it whenever I'm in Harrisburg...

NYNM
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 12:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sheetzaholic

First, I would like to give a shout out to St. Mary's and Straub Beer! Been there many many times and I love both the place and the product. I have never heard of the sausage, but I want to try it.

As for the cuisine discussion, I hope that nobody takes this too seriously. I am not only a sheetzaholic, but a Pennsylvaniac. Therefore, I just want to know what fellow Keystoners (new comers too...) think of us as distinctly Pennsylvanian. I do have to say that many of our Dutch traditions have traveled with expatriots and that's fine, but I am interested in what people think of as "our" foods...so maybe I should strike the cuisine part??? Anyway, if you like it and you think it is unique to the Commonwealth. I'm interested. PS - I love Cope's Corn + stock up on it whenever I'm in Harrisburg...

Dear Pennsylvaniac:

When my niece was young, she used to talk about the great state of Pennsyltucky!

I used to have a weekend house in New Hope, PA and would love to go foodhunting, esp. in Lancaster county. The foods were different from NYC. Cheese were different, and local German butchers, esp. near Rt. 78. I loved to ride around and discover little hamlets, esp. in Berks county.

My favorite were the supermarkets that had ROWS of pretzels. Like an entire row just of PA twists,cheese pretzels, etc. so many varities that potato chips, corn chips, etc. were on an entirely different row. (sort of like tortilla chips, nachos, Doritos, etc. in NM). What about Lititz, PA, the "Pretzel Capital" (They have a pretzel musuem there, I think)

Foodbme
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 2:20 PM
quote:

You can order St Mary's Christmas Sausage and get it shipped to you. Here's a Market that does a pretty good job with it. Give them a call and they will ship it to you;

Pfaff's Market
address: 137 Atlantic Street
city, state, zip St. Marys PA 15857
phone: 814-834-2061

P.S I always get a pretty large order every year about this time and put it in Ziplocs, suck the air out (Source of second hand smoke!) and freeze it. It will keep for a longtime.

Mosca
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 2:56 PM
Here's one that I think of as PA-specific; chow-chow. You know, corn relish.

Under the looser definition,

cheesesteaks
pierogies (I know the Twardziks of Mr T's fame!)
noodles and cabbage
kolbasi
apple dumplings
stuffed cabbage
sausage w/peppers and onions
pagach (potato pizza)
german potato salad
Hazleton and Old Forge style pizza
Primanti style sandwiches (as an aside, "Pittsburgh style" fast food means putting the fries on the burger)
game meat & fish, specifically venison, wild turkey, and trout

To me, those are the foods that define our state.

Tom

Foodbme
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 3:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Two of my sisters have the same MIL, and she is from Pennsylvania. Her cooking is the worst I have ever tasted. I'm really sorry to say that, but she overcooks the devil out of ANY meat, and the rest of her dishes seem to be invariably bland and boring. Her dumplings are tasteless, and even the sauerkraut seems to have any flavor cooked or boiled out of it.

The only thing I've ever liked of her cooking are the apple dumplings.

Pwingsx ,
Please forward your sisters email addresses. I'd like to send this little Expose' to them!!!!!!!!!

Capybara91
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 3:39 PM
My mom's from Altoona, about 40 miles from State College. I moved her to the Seattle area a few years back. She really likes pizzelles, which aren't exactly flying off shelves here. I don't know if they're Italian or Dutch in origin but I never liked them because I associated them with anise. Anyway, I bought her a bunch from Petrone's Pizzelles last Christmas and she loved them.

I worked at a Sheetz in Altoona during the Not-so-Great Depression of 1981-82 and became quite fond of Gobs. You ask for a Gob at a Tacoma bakery and people will think you're tweaking.

emmymom
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 3:45 PM
summer sausage (aka Lebanon bologna)
ring bologna
pretzels, especially soft pretzels, with mustard
cheese steaks
snapper soup
german potato salad
hot dogs with chopped raw onions
shoofly pie
raised doughnuts
raisin pie
Tastykakes
hoagies

As you can see, for this native Pennsylvanian, it's a mix of Pennsylvania German and Philadelphian cuisine

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 3:46 PM
pepper pot soup

Foodbme
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 3:54 PM
If you want some REAL PA Lebanon Bologna, not the junk they sell in supermarkets outside of PA, go to:

http://www.seltzerslebanonbologna.com

Now THAT'S the Real Deal!

Foodbme
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 4:19 PM
If you've ever been to a football game at Beaver Stadium, AKA "The Temple of JoePA" & home of the Nittany Lions of Penn State University, you've probably eaten a Kessler's Nittany Lion Frank, The OFFICIAL Hot Dog of Beaver Stadium. They're made by Kesslers Foods of LaMoyne PA, just down the road from State College. They will ship them.

JoePa's pre-game ritual includes eating one Nittany Lion Frank before every game for good luck. For the 1st time in his entire coaching career, he neglected to have one before the Wisconsin Game and look what happened---- a loss and a broken leg.

Visit: http://www.kesslerfoods.com/about.html

NYNM
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Mon, 11/20/06 4:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

pepper pot soup

ooooh yeah. Love that tripe.

Sheetzaholic
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 11/22/06 1:37 AM
There has been a lot of discussion about pretzels which certainly are a PA thing, but chips ain't too far behind. Actually, I've heard that PA is one place that Lay's cannot get a toe hold. The proof for me is walking down the snack isle and there are so many local/regional companies (Middleswarth, UTZ, Snyder of Hanover, Snyder of Berlin, Kay and Rays, Bickles, Troyer Farms, etc. etc.) It may not be unique to PA, but certainly well loved and much produced.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 11/22/06 2:44 AM
Tastykakes got only one passing mention. Available widely, but invented in Philadelphia.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6230
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 11/22/06 5:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

Here's one that I think of as PA-specific; chow-chow. You know, corn relish.

Under the looser definition,

cheesesteaks
pierogies (I know the Twardziks of Mr T's fame!)
noodles and cabbage
kolbasi
apple dumplings
stuffed cabbage
sausage w/peppers and onions
pagach (potato pizza)
german potato salad
Hazleton and Old Forge style pizza
Primanti style sandwiches (as an aside, "Pittsburgh style" fast food means putting the fries on the burger)
game meat & fish, specifically venison, wild turkey, and trout

To me, those are the foods that define our state.

Tom

I think you pretty much hit it right on the head. And while PA has a large population of Amish, German, Polish, Serbian, Russian, Ukranian and other nationalities, the Pgh. area has a large population of Italians, thus PA Macaroni Co. which I plan to visit in 10 days. There are several notable Italian restaurants, but it seems to be the "cucina della Nona".

GordonW
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 11/22/06 12:18 PM
Italian water ice is another specialty generally given as invented in Philadelphia.

And of course, as has been mentioned, the PA pretzel, such as at the Intercourse Pretzel Factory http://www.intercoursepretzelfactory.com/.

NYNM
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 11/22/06 12:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

Italian water ice is another specialty generally given as invented in Philadelphia.

And of course, as has been mentioned, the PA pretzel, such as at the Intercourse Pretzel Factory http://www.intercoursepretzelfactory.com/.

When I grew up in NYC, we always had "Italian Ice". I am wondering about your "Water Ice" (Wooder ice as I recall). I know Rita's is big in PA, but we had sp much in NYC too, certainly in Italian bakeries, in cups in the fresser in delis and in squeezie cups" the sort of pleated cups they would scoop out in corner ice shops. Is it the same?

GordonW
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 11/22/06 1:43 PM
I think there is a difference -- water ice is closer to sorbet than ice cream or sherbert.

Yep -- it's the Philly wooder.

Anyway, I defer to the source of all knowledge: Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_ice

Mosca
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 11/22/06 3:44 PM
I have a package of Seltzer beef balogna in the fridge right now; good stuff! But expensive, 6oz was something on the high side of $4. I don't remember what. But man; garlicky, beefy, good!

Tom
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

If you want some REAL PA Lebanon Bologna, not the junk they sell in supermarkets outside of PA, go to:

Now THAT'S the Real Deal!

Sheetzaholic
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 12/2/06 12:54 PM
how could I leave out shoefly pie??????

NYNM
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sun, 12/3/06 2:06 PM
Just saw a jar of Baumann's jams and fruit butters (pumpkin, apple, apricot, sweet tomato) in a local health food store in NYC. I remember Baumann's from Bucks/Berks Counties in PA. So delicious!

and from Sassamanville PA (what a great name for a town that makes jams and jellies!!)

http://www.baumanfamily.com/

Bauman's started in 1892 when John W. Bauman purchased a cider press and operated it with the steam engine in his carriage manufacturing shop. Soon he began cooking apple butter for farmers of the community. They called it "lattwaerrick" in their Pennsylvania German dialect.

He used the apple butter recipe his wife had received from her Schwenkfelder ancestors, who had settled in southeastern Pennsylvania alongside John's Mennonite forefathers.

In 1734 the followers of Caspar Schwenckfeld came to Pennsylvania as Christian refugees from Silesia, seeking freedom of worship. They survived on the high seas due in part to an ample supply of apple butter, a fruit product that keeps its goodness without preservatives or refrigeration. On arrival they celebrated with a meal of bread and apple butter, an occasion still commemorated in Schwenkfelder churches.

Before long John Bauman's apple butter business had replaced his carriage shop. As satisfied customers spread the word the business has continued to grow since the turn of the century.

Now in the third generation Bauman's Apple Butter Factory is still a family operation in the Nineteenth Century village of Sassamansville.

Juli Jane
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Thu, 12/14/06 11:09 PM
I grew up in NJ, but have lived in TX for many years. Part of my family is Penn. Dutch, and I lived across the Delaware from Philly as a child. I remember:

Chicken Corn Soup
Chicken Pot Pie (with slices of potatoes and square egg noodles)
Habersett's Scrapple
Taylor Pork Roll
Cheesesteak Hoagies
FRESH Tastykakes
Soft Pretzels
Sweetzels Ginger Cookies
Philadelphia-style Ice Cream (including hand-dipped Breyer's Cherry Vanilla)
Cooked Red Cabbage
Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut
Water Ice
"Drink-A-Toast" (from NJ - Burlington, specifically)
Just to name a few

NYNM
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Thu, 12/14/06 11:30 PM
Hey what about those red beet pickeld eggs? PA only?

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Thu, 12/14/06 11:38 PM
For an admitted outsider, when it comes to Pennsylvania food, I'm thinking Lebanon balogna(just don't make it sweet),mushrooms around Reading, Philadelphia pretzels, cheezesteaks and Straub's Beer. I would be willing to interview other applicants.

NYNM
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Thu, 12/14/06 11:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

For an admitted outsider, when it comes to Pennsylvania food, I'm thinking Lebanon balogna(just don't make it sweet),mushrooms around Reading,

Wait, isn't Kennett Square PA the "Mushroom Capital of the World?"
In fact when you drive around Chester County, you see all these long low white buildings with no windows aka mushroom "farms"

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/roadtrip1.html

Mushroom Capital of the WorldMushroom Capital of the World
"Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
No U.S. state produces more mushrooms than Pennsylvania. So it makes sense that here, in the heart of mushroom country, one would find the Phillips Mushroom Museum. Established in 1972, the museum chronicles three generations of the mushroom-farming Phillips family beginning with Pennsylvania mushroom pioneer William W. Phillips, a man who really knew his shiitake."

Now, who woulda thunk mushrooms are a Pennsylvania Specialty?

Foodbme
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 12/15/06 1:42 AM
quote:

For an admitted outsider, when it comes to Pennsylvania food, I'm thinking Lebanon balogna(just don't make it sweet),mushrooms around Reading, Philadelphia pretzels, cheezesteaks and Straub's Beer. I would be willing to interview other applicants.

STRAUBS BEER????? That's made in my home town, St Marys, PA. How do you know about Straubs Beer living in TN? (I lived in Brentwood TN too)

Diner-Lover
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 12/15/06 5:21 PM
"Ivin's Famous Spiced Wafers" are one of my favorite cookies available in the Fall only in the Philadelphia area, I believe. And if I'm not mistaken, you can only get them at ACME supermarkets, but I saw a number of sites online where they can also be purchased.

Foodbme
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 12/15/06 5:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

For an admitted outsider, when it comes to Pennsylvania food, I'm thinking Lebanon balogna(just don't make it sweet),mushrooms around Reading,

Wait, isn't Kennett Square PA the "Mushroom Capital of the World?"
In fact when you drive around Chester County, you see all these long low white buildings with no windows aka mushroom "farms"

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/roadtrip1.html

Mushroom Capital of the WorldMushroom Capital of the World
"Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
No U.S. state produces more mushrooms than Pennsylvania. So it makes sense that here, in the heart of mushroom country, one would find the Phillips Mushroom Museum. Established in 1972, the museum chronicles three generations of the mushroom-farming Phillips family beginning with Pennsylvania mushroom pioneer William W. Phillips, a man who really knew his shiitake."

Now, who woulda thunk mushrooms are a Pennsylvania Specialty?

I think there's some big mushroom farms over around Butler PA. They grow them in caves I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a while since I first learned about it.

RC51Mike
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 12/15/06 6:00 PM
They did grow mushrooms in western PA, I think in abandoned coal mines. There are also some farms in Berks County. Kennett Square is the mushroom capital though.

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 12/15/06 8:18 PM
You can never have the same scrapple twice in PA.

That is one of my truisms about PA. I am not a native but have been visiting for about 45 years and have never had the same scrapple twice. I do always order it though...the variations always amaze me and that is what I think I like about it. Scrapple is so ingrained in PA culture that it almost has to have an individual personality and I am glad it does. It is not even regional, one can have two very different scrapple dishes from vendors right across the street from each other. That is one of the things I love about PA.

I do not know if slippy pie is unique to PA, but it is the only place I have encountered it. The versions I have had are usually pot pies with noodles instead of a pastry crust which is fine with me. I have had versions that incorporate both pastry and noodles.

PA food is a huge topic because it is so diverse and I for one am glad it is.

Foodbme
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Fri, 12/15/06 9:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

You can never have the same scrapple twice in PA.

That is one of my truisms about PA. I am not a native but have been visiting for about 45 years and have never had the same scrapple twice. I do always order it though...the variations always amaze me and that is what I think I like about it. Scrapple is so ingrained in PA culture that it almost has to have an individual personality and I am glad it does. It is not even regional, one can have two very different scrapple dishes from vendors right across the street from each other. That is one of the things I love about PA.

I do not know if slippy pie is unique to PA, but it is the only place I have encountered it. The versions I have had are usually pot pies with noodles instead of a pastry crust which is fine with me. I have had versions that incorporate both pastry and noodles.

PA food is a huge topic because it is so diverse and I for one am glad it is.

SCRAPPLE IS LIKE POTATO SALAD--- NO 2 BATCHES COME OUT THE SAME

LeeMargo
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 12/16/06 6:53 PM
HOAGIES=Philadelphia. I went to school outside of the Philadelphia area and found that EVERYone calls a hoagie a sub...ANNOYING. Hoagie is def. a Philly thing.

Sheetzaholic
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 12/16/06 6:56 PM
I'm glad to see that other recognize the quality and variation of Scrapples in Penna. I find them a lot like our many regional chips (UTZ, Middleswarth, Snyders of Berlin, Martin's, etc. etc.). The scrapples too are very much the artistry of the butcher and our company and no two are the same! Speaking of potato chips, I would also like to know what are folks favorite PA chips. I prefer Middleswarth Ket-L Barbq; however, you cannot find them in Pittsburgh so I have to stock up whenever I'm in Central PA...

Foodbme
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 12/16/06 8:10 PM
quote:

I'm glad to see that other recognize the quality and variation of Scrapples in Penna. I find them a lot like our many regional chips (UTZ, Middleswarth, Snyders of Berlin, Martin's, etc. etc.). The scrapples too are very much the artistry of the butcher and our company and no two are the same! Speaking of potato chips, I would also like to know what are folks favorite PA chips. I prefer Middleswarth Ket-L Barbq; however, you cannot find them in Pittsburgh so I have to stock up whenever I'm in Central PA...

Another one that's hard to find outside the PA area is Wise Potato Chips

NYNM
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Sat, 12/16/06 10:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

They're all over NYC. They are the "normal" chips we get day to day. Didn't even know they were from PA!

Another one that's hard to find outside the PA area is Wise Potato Chips

Rauhoole
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 12/20/06 9:57 PM
I had to read this whole thread, and all the time I was shouting "what about Lebanon Bologna", Whalla Some one finally got to it . As Pennsylvalia Dutch as dutch can go. Though Scrapple has spread south, I still can't find good Lebanon Bologna. Book marked link thanks

Rauhoole
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 12/20/06 10:01 PM
Mushroom Capital of the world is Avondale.

Foodbme
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Wed, 12/20/06 10:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rauhoole

I had to read this whole thread, and all the time I was shouting "what about Lebanon Bologna", Whalla Some one finally got to it . As Pennsylvalia Dutch as dutch can go. Though Scrapple has spread south, I still can't find good Lebanon Bologna. Book marked link thanks

In case you missed it:

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Pennsylvania Cuisine - Thu, 12/21/06 5:46 AM
quote:

how could I leave out shoefly pie??????
I remember an old song about Pa. foods with that in the title. It was by the late and great Stan Kenton "Shoefly pie and Apple pandowdy" sung by Julie Chirstey I belive. Chow Jim

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 74