Pennsylvania Snails

Author
abcdebbie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2003/10/16 20:48:50 (permalink)

Pennsylvania Snails

Hello, I'm a newbie. I found this site quite by accident when searching for a recipe. It looks like a lot of fun. I'm hoping someone out there can help me. My husband was on a business trip in the Somerset, Pennsylvania area. He brought home a great treat called snails. It looks to be a nut roll made of pie dough instead of sweet bread dough. Does anyone out there have a receipe for this treat? They were delicious!
Debbie

3 Replies Related Threads

retired & glad
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Pennsylvania Snails 2003/10/29 23:32:07 (permalink)
    Hi Debbie,

It has taken some time but I think I found a receipe to bake what you are looking for. It is in an old [1969] Time-Life Illustrated Library of Cooking Vol 7 Pages 22 & 23. According as to how I read it, page 22 has a recipe for Danish Pastry Dough [Wienerbrod] which is prepared first, and then page 23 has a recipe for the actual Snails[Snegle], which utilizes 1/4 of the recipe for Weinerbrod dough as an ingredient. The Snails [from the method described] appear to be a kinda fan shaped roll with a couple of slits in the top. Made somewhat like a cinnamon roll and filled with nuts and currents. I am sure the bakery probably added some sort of a glaze on top. If this sounds right I will scan the two pages in my computer and attach them to an email sent wherever you wish. There is too much presented here to type it in by hand. Please advise your interest?

David Skaggs [like Ricky, only he can sing]
    retired & glad
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Pennsylvania Snails 2003/10/30 05:41:14 (permalink)
    Debbie,

After finding out that this is a Scandinavian Pastry, I was also to find the recipe in another of our cookbooks. It also is a Time-Life collection, this one dated 1968, [The Cooking of Scandinavia] Pages 174 & 175 to make the Wienerbrod [174 the recipe, & 175 illustration of method], pages 176 & 177 illustrations on how to make snails & 4 other Danish pastries, pages 178 & 179 given to the recipes for those 5 pastries. I have to agree that these little jewels look delicious but also appear to require some effort to produce [the Wienerbrod alone requiring the time to incorporate a full pound of unsalted butter into the dough by rolling it out and folding it over several times, & chilling it in the refrigerator in between foldings several times as you go. It would be best if you could locate one of these two cookbooks [or perhaps another on Scandinavian baking] to get the actual recipes. If not, as I said I will scan & email to your designated address. Perhaps someone else out there reading this, might advise a method to incorporate the scanned pages into this forum? I don't know how to do that.
    Please advise.
    David Skaggs [Retired]
    a noid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Pennsylvania Snails 2004/07/03 11:52:53 (permalink)
    Here's one recipe online:

http://www.breitlingweb.de/PAGEBILD/ETDKREe6.HTM
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1