Penny's in Chicago

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2004/03/25 17:13:43 (permalink)

Penny's in Chicago

Good news. Penny's Noodle Shop on Diversey is now open on Mondays.

4 Replies Related Threads

michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Penny's in Chicago 2004/03/25 17:43:53 (permalink)
    Please tell us more about Penny's, and the address or cross street. Thanks!
    danimal15
    RE: Penny's in Chicago 2004/03/26 15:49:16 (permalink)
    http://www.digitalcity.com/chicago/entertainment/venue.adp?vid=61599

Above is a nice description of Penny's for the uninitiated. The Diversey location is just west of the L tracks on the north side of the street. The address is 950 W. Diversey There's also a Penny's in Bucktown and at 3400 N. Sheffield.

I've been writing about Penny's on this site for months. If you want cheap Thai food on the North Side of Chicago, this is the place. I've been going there since the 1980's, and the quality is always top-notch. We've been taking my 4-year old son there since he was 6 weeks old, and now it's his favorite restaurant in the world. We took him for his birthday last month and again last weekend. He loves watching the L trains go by out the window as we eat.

My recommendations - the tofu pad thai, the tofu Pad Se Oo and the sauteed chicken. Chicken Lad Nar, with crispy rice noodles, is another favorite, as are the Vietnamese spring rolls.

Take the Brown line (it was called the Ravenswood line when I was growing up and I still call it that) to Diversey and walk west about 15 feet and you'll be there.

Dan
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Penny's in Chicago 2004/03/26 20:40:59 (permalink)
    Thank you for your help! Sounds delicious. Chicago is a great Thai food city.

If memory serves me, the corner of Diversey and Sheffield... does Penny's have a parking lot? Oops, I'm a Californian now, and I drive when I can.

Thanks again!
    danimal15
    RE: Penny's in Chicago 2004/03/27 20:47:12 (permalink)
    No - definitely no parking lot. This is a totally urban neighborhood where driving is not recommended. Take the L or the Diversey bus, or stay in the neighborhood (there's a good Day's Inn on Clark and Diversey) and walk.

If you must drive, you'll have to find street parking. There's actually a parking lot across the street, but the owners tow Penny's customers. And remember that side streets in the area are permit parking only. We have to drive down from the suburbs, so we tend to go on Sundays when meters are free and parking seems easier. We always find a space.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1