Pepe's Review by the Sterns

Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
2006/06/13 20:27:49 (permalink)

Pepe's Review by the Sterns

I just saw a recent review pop up by the Sterns on Pepe's Pizzeria Napoletana of Fairfield: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=3491&RefID=3537

Now maybe this is a regional East Coast thing, but if someone served me a crust with nothing but sauce on it... I dunno...
I may be the ignorant one missing something here, but I love cheese and toppings on my pie.
Someone clue me in on what I'm missing here...

25 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/13 22:56:05 (permalink)
    I don't know about the rest, but the crust looks awesome!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18448
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/13 23:05:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I just saw a recent review pop up by the Sterns on Pepe's Pizzeria Napoletana of Fairfield: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=3491&RefID=3537

Now maybe this is a regional East Coast thing, but if someone served me a crust with nothing but sauce on it... I dunno...
    I may be the ignorant one missing something here, but I love cheese and toppings on my pie.

I love a pie with nothing but tomatoes -- at least the ones from Pepe's, The Spot and Sally's. Growing up it was that or an apizza with tomatoes and grated cheese.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 10:10:20 (permalink)
    quote:

It's not an East coast thing. NYC pizza looks nothing like that.
    The only pizza that looks really sumptuous, is the clam pizza. I'd travel a long way for that. Yum!
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 10:47:09 (permalink)
    If the sauce was good I could eat that pizza faster than a crab runs from a gumbo pot.

Last part of the sentence borrowed from Justin Wilson.

Might add a little grated cheese though.
    lunamoth
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 10:58:20 (permalink)
    when I was growing up, my grandmother made pizza every Sunday:in the summer, she'd use tomatoes from the garden for a sauce, in other seasons, the ones she canned herself, occasionally some anchovies, olives or pieces of fine dried sausage would be scattered across the top, but most of the time it was just sauce, some herbs and a small sprinkling of fresh grated parmigiano...no globs of cheese,this was the absolute best pizza I have ever had, and very typical for many Italians. In RI, it is common to find "pizza strips" from the Italian bakeries in this style. The focus is on the marriage between a good crust (crisp bottom) and tangy tomato sauce. As there are different styles of beer, so be it with pizza!
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 11:12:01 (permalink)
    Lunamoth, do they still sell the wax-paper wrapped strips at candy stores and convenience stores? When I was little they were a nickel or a dime and as popular with kids as a Nestle's Crunch.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 11:14:34 (permalink)
    I find it interesting that some people refuse to acknowledge that pizza with crazy toppings (i.e. pineapple) is actually "pizza", while the same people would aggresively assert that pizza with no cheese is absolutely "pizza".

There used to be a restaurant in NY that served crustless pizza (I think it was called Goldbergs?), which was sauce, cheese and toppings baked in a pan. If sauce, cheese and crust are the key elements to pizza, this one had 2 of the 3. Would that pass the "experts" test?

My opinion: I couldn't care less what something is called, as long as it tastes good.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 11:20:26 (permalink)
    Wow! I just realized that Pepe's is now a chain. What's it doing here?
    lunamoth
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 11:34:37 (permalink)
    Asphalt: sure do, not in all conveinence stores, but many...and sadly, for more than a nickel!
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 12:35:23 (permalink)
    quote:

Not an East Coast thing, but at a high quality pizzeria, such as Pepe's - where the sauce and crust are top notch - a plain pie can be excellent. That said, at many pizzeria's around the nation, ordering a pie like this would not be satisfying (IMO).
    vegas
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 12:45:30 (permalink)

my absolute favorite at Pepes is pepperoni w/ just grated cheese . . . try it, you'll love it . . . great thick 'roni slices which has a very fine grind, awesome sauce, and just a little bite from the (baked on the pizza and sprinkled on topp upon arrival at the table) cheese
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 12:51:55 (permalink)
    Papa Gino's, a N.E. pizza/sub chain is making a nod toward traditional pizza minimalism. They've just launched a rustic pizza which is (IMO) a little lighter on sauce and leans more toward the aged cheeses than the soft cheese. (We had an event recently at work and they added a few of these pies as a bonus.) The crust is slightly thinner but the big difference is it's actually cooked, with a bit of crispiness and some brown spotting.

(Okay, before someone starts screaming, "heretic!" I'm not comparing this to Pepe's. I'm just suggesting that maybe someone's getting the hint that pizza isn't supposed to be a flaccid piece of sponge piled with toppings like a Dagwood sandwich.)
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 12:56:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Ah, SR clarified things recently....a eatery can be a chain and not have to have discussion of it relegated to the FFF forum if the ater in question has an official review published on this site

On a related note, this is why I want you to write up a Waffle House review....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 13:32:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:

Ah, SR clarified things recently....a eatery can be a chain and not have to have discussion of it relegated to the FFF forum if the ater in question has an official review published on this site

I was just kidding about Pepe's. It is roadfood, after all. By the way, I believe one must be an Insider to post reviews here.
    Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 13:37:43 (permalink)
    Yep!....Those tomato pies available in RI are sure good. My favorite is from Caserta Pizzeria on Federal Hill in Providence. I usually bring Home (in CT) a "Large" and freeze what I don't eat on the way home to enjoy for later. It sure beats the oily "Greek" pizzas available around home. Hmmmm....time for a trip to "The Hill"!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 13:50:09 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:

I was just kidding about Pepe's. It is roadfood, after all. By the way, I believe one must be an Insider to post reviews here.

Cool

Not wanting to hijack this thread any further than I have, but no, anyone can submit a review....the admins (SR, the Sterns, whoever) go over it and make sure it has more or less the same format, good photos, etc, and if they are OK with it they put it up, albeit there are no guarentees it will go up nor how long the process will take.

The Insider logbook entries, tho....yes, those are Insider only.

Back on topic, sorta....the cheese-less pies remind me of what I have read of the tomato pies at Delorenzo's http://www.hollyeats.com/DeLorenzosPizza.htm
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/14 21:24:48 (permalink)
    MH/TJ

the review that I submitted (yesterday's R.O.D.) took about a week and a half to be published - and I'm not an insider...

WH needs a review from sn authority....and that would br you, MH.

In and Out has a review (written by Michael Stern, no less) and it's still on the FFF board.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1647

AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/16 18:12:43 (permalink)
    That Pepe's tomato pie looks scrumptious, both the sauce and the crust. That looks like a pie that is made to be simple and not covered with a plethora of toppings. If I was going to put anything on it, it would probably be just one thing: green peppers, olives, or banana peppers. I like "works" pizzas every now and then, but that pie looks perfect just as it is.
    I wish we had a place like that around here

Andrea
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/16 19:07:48 (permalink)
    OK, guys. I'll try to get to a Waffle House in the next couple of days in order to do a review. Actually, I'll go two or three times to order several things.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/16 22:24:58 (permalink)
    Way to go, MH.
    looking forward to reading your review.
    Just wish we were there to help consume the food.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any WH pics to submit for you.
    I'll have to the remember to bring the digi inside next time I'm in WH country.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/16 22:36:55 (permalink)
    Well, I have this Nikon D70s with a few lenses, but I have no idea how to get pictures from it into the computer, let alone how to post them.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/17 11:33:57 (permalink)
    NEW HAVEN — It’s 12:50 on Friday afternoon, and Melissa Nicholson keeps checking her watch.

"Pepe’s told me they’re sending five pizzas," she said. "They open for lunch at one, so the pizzas should be here any minute."

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16802866&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7576&rfi=6
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/17 12:16:41 (permalink)

You need to read the review for Pepe's in New Haven to see that the cheese-less pizza was what Frank Pepe would eat, as he was allergic to mozzarella cheese. It is a carrying over of tradition. For me, I will say that theirs and most pizzas are best when you do not cover them with a variety of toppings. I haven't had the pizza in question but I did order one with half sausage and the other plain cheese. I think that the flavor of sausage is important, but with the other half I wanted to make sure how it tasted unadorned. The sauce is very flavorful.
    As for how the Fairfield location compares, I will be meeting my brother for a meal there in the next week or two when he comes out from California. He is hooked on New Haven style pizzas as there are nothing like them on the west coast.

mark
    Roy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/17 13:19:26 (permalink)
    A good pizza can stand alone without all the toppings. I prefer the pizza'a from Modern over Pepe's (except clam)and frequently get the plain with just a little grated cheese and well done of course.
    sleeeepguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Pepe's Review by the Sterns 2006/06/20 17:29:30 (permalink)
    Any pizza you find on wooster street is worth traveling many miles for. I prefer Sally a little further up Wooster street in New Haven, CT. I have eaten a few pizzas at sally's then walked down to Pepe's for the clam pie. The best pizza anywhere is in New Haven CT. i drive 100 miles each way once a month for the pleasure!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1