Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pepper Pot Soup.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 59 of 59
Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Thu, 01/20/05 3:31 PM (permalink)
grocery store in Natchitoches stocked it until yesterday when I bought all they had ()--so it's clearly not been dropped by Campbell's.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Thu, 01/20/05 6:16 PM (permalink)
    My wife used to buy about a half-dozen cans of Campbell's Scotch Broth whenever she came down to visit me back when I lived in New Mexico, because you couldn't find it in Boston anymore. (She figures it's been 10-15 years since she last found it in a local store.) So imagine my surprise when I found it at our Stop and Shop this afternoon!

I didn't see any Pepper Pot, but then, I wouldn't look. No tripe at Casa del Bishop, thank you.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
      RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Fri, 04/15/05 6:38 PM (permalink)
      It's here! I made a request for Campbell's Pepperpot Soup. It took a month or two, but it's here on our shelves at Tark's Market in Talent, a scant 100 miles or so from the western end of purple mountain majesties and fruited plain.

sputnik3

• Total Posts: 1
        RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Tue, 08/9/05 11:23 AM (permalink)
        If anyone is still interested, you can find Campbells Pepper Pot Soup at netgrocer:
        http://www.netgrocer.com/default.cfm?s=sws%5Fcampbells

sputnik

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
          RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Sun, 08/21/05 7:27 PM (permalink)
          Dearfolk,
          Like the tarnation idjut I can be sometimes, I had forgotten all about this thread until I scrolled down to it by accident a few minutes ago.
          Let me check around in Atlanta for some and I'll post again here. I'll hunt for Scotch Broth as well: somebody's gotta carry the stuff.
          My father preferred it straight out of the can at room temperature when he ate it at home. In bitter cold weather, which Georgia has blessed little of, he would lay in a supply at his office and heat it in the autoclave (an old Fischer Scientific oven from the 1930's that still worked perfectly). If y'all think I'm a character, you had ought to have met my father. Gracious, I'm getting more like him every day, and those aren't easy shoes to fill... we were very close; I was mighty lucky to have had him for a dad.
          A Chip Off The Old Block(head), Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.

BillC

• Total Posts: 119
            RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Sun, 08/21/05 9:28 PM (permalink)
            I've always been able to get pepper-pot in Cinti. / Northern KY. Always for the last 35 years. For the last several years, there was a "Made in Canada" on the label, but that has recently disappeared (mad cow?).

olnumber78

• Total Posts: 4
              RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Mon, 10/3/05 3:55 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
              Last night, to assuage my curiosity and my hunger all at once, I motored over to our new, immense 24-hour Kroger store. Almost everything I imagined was there (except livermush, but I wasn't expecting that!). I managed to find quite a few on-sale items and stock up on what little food I keep at home.
              Upon scouring the soup selection, though, I noticed one absence: Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup. My late Father loved the stuff, and I can't recall that I've seen it in the house since right before he died: he had just eaten the last can on hand (that wasn't what caused his death, mind you!).
              I'd never thought to look for it until recently, when I came across a reference to it somewhere online (not here, I don't think) as a "beloved-of-Philadelphians" item. Now I've managed to come up with a hankering for it, and it isn't in evidence.
              I haven't checked all the other large food stores here for it, but I just thought I'd throw this out. After all, this may well be my first "coined" topic, and I wanted it to be a decent one. Has anyone seen it lately in your whereabouts?
              My old friend Steve was shopping synchronous to my visit. I mentioned it to him, and he thought a nonce and replied "I love the stuff, too... and I haven't seen it here lately. Maybe they quit making it."
              "That's probably not so," I replied. "After all, Campbell's Soup's main plant is right across the river from Fluffia in lovely downtown Camden, New Jersey."
              He nodded in earnest, then said "Well, if you find some, let me know where it is. I'm in the phone book."
              Clues, anyone? Can any of you Mamas in the alley assist (I HAD to make an obscure musical reference!)?
              Souplessly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, which is not a Livermush-Free Zone.

olnumber78

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Mon, 10/3/05 3:59 AM (permalink)
                Having loved in PA for most of my life I had a liking for Campbell's Pepper Pot. But there was a better brand that used to be carried in Foodland in Lebanon PA. That was Bookbinder's origional. Better taste and no tomatoes. I understand that is the indication of the earliest recipes supposedly because in the 1700s tomatoes were considered poisonous. Little did they know.

olnumber78

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Mon, 10/3/05 4:02 AM (permalink)
                  Campbell's is ok but Bookbinder's had a better flavor. We could get it in Lebanon County PA. No tomatoes in it, as they were considered poisonous when the recipe was supposedly origionated.

pawdna

• Total Posts: 5
                    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Fri, 12/2/05 9:05 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Route 11

Does Campbell's pepper pot soup have tripe in it?

pawdna

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Fri, 12/2/05 9:08 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Route 11

Does Campbell's pepper pot soup have tripe in it?

It most definitely does......I ate it for years not knowing what it was, but when I found out I was already hooked on Pepperpot Soup. Who cares? lol

pawdna

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Fri, 12/2/05 10:20 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by sputnik3

If anyone is still interested, you can find Campbells Pepper Pot Soup at netgrocer:
                        http://www.netgrocer.com/default.cfm?s=sws%5Fcampbells

sputnik

Netgrocer is the best deal on the Pepperpot Soup. It's 10cts more per can than the 'hometownfavorites.com' site but the shipping is substantially less. It's like $13 shipping for 12 cans & net grocer charges $5.99 for up to $13 cans. So that's where I'm going! Thx for the input on Netgrocer.

pawdna

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Fri, 12/2/05 10:55 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by olnumber78

Dearfolk,
                          Last night, to assuage my curiosity and my hunger all at once, I motored over to our new, immense 24-hour Kroger store. Almost everything I imagined was there (except livermush, but I wasn't expecting that!). I managed to find quite a few on-sale items and stock up on what little food I keep at home.
                          Upon scouring the soup selection, though, I noticed one absence: Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup. My late Father loved the stuff, and I can't recall that I've seen it in the house since right before he died: he had just eaten the last can on hand (that wasn't what caused his death, mind you!).
                          I'd never thought to look for it until recently, when I came across a reference to it somewhere online (not here, I don't think) as a "beloved-of-Philadelphians" item. Now I've managed to come up with a hankering for it, and it isn't in evidence.
                          I haven't checked all the other large food stores here for it, but I just thought I'd throw this out. After all, this may well be my first "coined" topic, and I wanted it to be a decent one. Has anyone seen it lately in your whereabouts?
                          My old friend Steve was shopping synchronous to my visit. I mentioned it to him, and he thought a nonce and replied "I love the stuff, too... and I haven't seen it here lately. Maybe they quit making it."
                          "That's probably not so," I replied. "After all, Campbell's Soup's main plant is right across the river from Fluffia in lovely downtown Camden, New Jersey."
                          He nodded in earnest, then said "Well, if you find some, let me know where it is. I'm in the phone book."
                          Clues, anyone? Can any of you Mamas in the alley assist (I HAD to make an obscure musical reference!)?
                          Souplessly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, which is not a Livermush-Free Zone.

Here's a old fashioned Pepperpot Soup recipe for anyone who wants to try it...........
                          Here's another "memory lane" soup--traditional in hometown Philadelphia--as evocative as, yo, a madeleine any old day. In my family--and my great grandmother was the queen of pepper pot--cognoscenti insisted on a sprinkle of cider vinegar at the table. Serve hot as a slender meal to 4 people.

• 2 quarts water
                          • veal or beef bone
                          • 2 bay leaves
                          • 1 dry whole red chili pepper
                          • 1 Tablespoon salt
                          • 2 whole onions
                          • 2 pounds honeycomb tripe, well washed (can also blanch)
                          • 4 potatoes, diced
                          • 1 teaspoon marjoram
                          Bring water, bay leaves, chili pepper, and salt to a boil. Add the tripe, then immediately reduce heat. Simmer for at least 2 and 1/2 hours.
                          Remove the veal bone, bay leaves, pepper, and onion. Take out the tripe, then slice into paper thin strips and mince crosswise. Skim the fat off the top of the stock and return the tripe to the pot with the diced potatoes. Thin with boiling water so it's nicely soupy. Allow to simmer until you're ready to serve--hours, if possible, as you want the tripe to be as tender as possible.
                          When ready to serve, rub the marjoram into the pot between the heels of your hands. Bring soup to a good simmer, then drop in dumplings and cook until they are done. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately with a cruet of cider vinegar on the table for final flavoring.
                          To make dumplings: Cut 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of butter or lard into 1 cup of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Then stir in 1/2 cup of milk gradually. Flour hands--and roll dough into small balls.

pawdna

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Fri, 12/2/05 11:07 PM (permalink)

Dearfolk,
                            Here's a old fashioned Pepperpot Soup recipe for anyone who wants to try it...........
                            Here's another "memory lane" soup--traditional in hometown Philadelphia--as evocative as, yo, a madeleine any old day. In my family--and my great grandmother was the queen of pepper pot--cognoscenti insisted on a sprinkle of cider vinegar at the table. Serve hot as a slender meal to 4 people.

• 2 quarts water
                            • veal or beef bone
                            • 2 bay leaves
                            • 1 dry whole red chili pepper
                            • 1 Tablespoon salt
                            • 2 whole onions
                            • 2 pounds honeycomb tripe, well washed (can also blanch)
                            • 4 potatoes, diced
                            • 1 teaspoon marjoram
                            Bring water, bay leaves, chili pepper, and salt to a boil. Add the tripe, then immediately reduce heat. Simmer for at least 2 and 1/2 hours.
                            Remove the veal bone, bay leaves, pepper, and onion. Take out the tripe, then slice into paper thin strips and mince crosswise. Skim the fat off the top of the stock and return the tripe to the pot with the diced potatoes. Thin with boiling water so it's nicely soupy. Allow to simmer until you're ready to serve--hours, if possible, as you want the tripe to be as tender as possible.

When ready to serve, rub the marjoram into the pot between the heels of your hands. Bring soup to a good simmer, then drop in dumplings and cook until they are done. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately with a cruet of cider vinegar on the table for final flavoring.
                            To make dumplings: Cut 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of butter or lard into 1 cup of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Then stir in 1/2 cup of milk gradually. Flour hands--and roll dough into small balls.

Aniyah7371

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Tue, 12/27/05 1:47 PM (permalink)
                              Okay if you say so. :D

David815

• Total Posts: 1
                                RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Sun, 01/8/06 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                Pepperpot Soup I found it at this site. It is still made, in the Select catagory. http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/candy_cat.asp?c=38&p=1&id=827&newp=
                                quote:

Dearfolk,

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Sun, 01/15/06 6:02 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by pawdna

roll dough into small balls. [/blue]

Pawdna,
                                  Gracious. That almost sounds painful. What's the antedote?
                                  Anecdotally Into My Dotage, Ort. Carlton in Young, Vibrant Athens, Georgia.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                                    RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Sun, 01/15/06 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                    Athens, Ga.? Isn't Kim Basinger from there?
                                    The Bear

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
                                      RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Sun, 01/15/06 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                      The Jamaican version of Pepperpot soup is completely different. I got this recipe from www.jamaicans.com
                                      Pepperpot Soup

INGREDIENTS :

6 Stalks of calaloo (very similar to spinach-which can be substituted)
                                      1 a small head of cabbage
                                      ½ okra
                                      ½ lb. pig's tail and/or ½ lb. salt beef (or salt pork)
                                      flour dumplings
                                      ½ yam and dasheen
                                      1 scallion and thyme
                                      1 Scotch bonnet pepper (or habanero)
                                      Black Pepper
                                      2 qts. water

METHOD:

Boil meat and vegetables.
                                      Puree vegetables and return to the pot adding dumpling.
                                      Then add the sliced yam, coconut, sliced pepper, and other seasoning to taste.
                                      Simmer for approximately one hour.
                                      Add black pepper

Miata Stu

• Total Posts: 9
                                        RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Sat, 01/28/06 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                        I live about 45 min from Camden and Pepper Pot soup is stocked by all the local stores....now if anyone knows where to find Cambells Ox-Tail soup things would be perfect . It used to be fairly easy to find in import shops and is one of their biggest sellers in the UK .

Sundancer7

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Sat, 01/28/06 6:24 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Miata Stu

I live about 45 min from Camden and Pepper Pot soup is stocked by all the local stores....now if anyone knows where to find Cambells Ox-Tail soup things would be perfect . It used to be fairly easy to find in import shops and is one of their biggest sellers in the UK .

I searched Campbell's web site and they gave me zero results for ox-tail soup. I tried their search engine several different ways. I am sure other companies sell what you desire.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
                                            RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Sat, 01/28/06 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                            Pepper pot soup soup reminds me of a blander menudo. It's all over C-towns in nyc. My supermarket guilty pleasure, along with Chef Boyardee's Chili Mac. Is chili mac a variation of Cinci chili?

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Thu, 04/17/08 1:54 AM (permalink)
                                              Dearfolk,
                                              Upon venturing to my nearby Publix store (on the Atlanta Highway) today, I found Campbell's Pepper Pot Soup in stock (no pun intended). I bought two cans, and that is not a type of bird.
                                              I have now finally answered my own post, lo these 3-1/2 years later.
                                              Souperbly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Land.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                                RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Thu, 04/17/08 3:09 AM (permalink)
                                                Ort., If youre still searching you can order it on line here....

http://www.campbellsoup.com/online_shop.asp
                                                britt

Born in OKC

• Total Posts: 428
                                                  RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Thu, 04/24/08 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  Campbell's Pepper Pot is now available in Alpharetta GA again also, both at Publix and Krogers. I have purchased it a time or two but it is a dear treat in the current incarnation. Maybe next December I will make some and try to get my family to remember Valley Forge.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Thu, 04/24/08 10:27 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Born in OKC
                                                    Maybe next December I will make some and try to get my family to remember Valley Forge.

OKC,
                                                    Gad, they must have been around for awhile.
                                                    Unrevolutionarily, Ort. Carlton in The Charge Of The Lite Brigade (see Beverage Forum) Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Thu, 04/24/08 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by ScreenBear
                                                      Athens, Ga.? Isn't Kim Basinger from there? The Bear

ScreenBear,
                                                      You bet your sweet bippy she is. Still has family here, too. Comes back to visit occasionally. Her head doesn't seem to have swelled a bit.
                                                      Residentially, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Land.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Thu, 04/24/08 10:33 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by brittneal
                                                        Ort., If youre still searching you can order it on line here....
                                                        http://www.campbellsoup.com/online_shop.asp britt

Britt,
                                                        Thanks, but I found it. Now I'm trying to find Campbell's Scotch Broth... can't recall that I've ever tried that one.
                                                        Unbalefully Unbowlfully, Ort. Carlton in Souperb Athens, Georgia.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                                          • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                          RE: Pepper Pot Soup. Tue, 04/29/08 7:39 PM (permalink)
                                                          Breaking news: still $5/can, but that at least includes shipping.

http://www.foodlocker.com/brands-c-campbell-s-soups.html

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 59 of 59

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com