The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Peppermint Stick Ice Cream

frogger67

• Total Posts: 156
Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 2:35 PM (permalink)
This is my favorite kind of ice cream--peppermint flavored vanilla with little colored peppermint candies in them.
I can't find it anywhere--not even ice cream places like Baskin Robbins, Coldstone, or Scoops sell it anymore.

Is this type of ice cream that unpopular? I can't imagine "peanut butter raisin" being more popular than this--but I could be wrong.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
    RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 10:02 PM (permalink)
    That is my absolute favorite too, and I can't find it anywhere.

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
      RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 10:05 PM (permalink)
      that's because that particular ice cream is only available
      from nov through january.

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
        RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 10:27 PM (permalink)
        Here in Boston, Brigham's offers it year round (it's available at their restaurants and also in several supermarkets).

You can buy it by through their website and have it shipped, but it's $99 for four quarts. A bit steep, but it can be done.

Other than that, you'll probably find it at Christmas time.

I know Howard Johnson's used to offer it, but they're no longer around.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
          RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 11:00 PM (permalink)
          Ditto xannie-the only time I see such a wonderful ice cream in the stores is Nov.and Dec...

xannie_01

RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 11:02 PM (permalink)
            ann,
            i'm surprised no dairy has come up
            with york peppermint patty ice cream.

ann peeples

RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 11:13 PM (permalink)
              Actually, xannie-if i am not mistaken, Klondike Bar has that very flavor!!!

ann peeples

RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 11:15 PM (permalink)
                Frogger67-I googled ice cream parlors And there is one called Brusters(they have some in Virginia)but they only serve peppermint stick in Dec......

xannie_01

RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 11:17 PM (permalink)
                  ann,
                  well i'll be dipped..
                  just shows you how often
                  i look for ice cream...

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                    RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 11:32 PM (permalink)
                    I always gravitate right to it at Christmastime, which is the only time I recall seeing it in the chain groceries.

nyack

• Total Posts: 2
                      RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 08/31/06 11:57 PM (permalink)
                      It's my favorite ice-cream too, & I've spent many years searching for a regular supermarket venue where I could buy it (buying tons via internet just isn't going to work for me), but no dice! (We don't live in the Boston area - so Brighams doesn't work) It is basically occasionally offered at individual ice-cream parlors, but not on a large scale commercial venue. Friendly's Icecream offers it at around Christmas time in the supermarkets....very unfair! I prefer the pink colored ice cream with red & green bits of candy. Yum!

frogger67

• Total Posts: 156
                        RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Fri, 09/1/06 9:04 AM (permalink)
                        Thanks for the feedback---nice to hear other people love this kind of ice cream as much as I do.
                        It is surprising it's not available all year and more widespread.....
                        perhaps a letter to Ben & Jerry's, Turkey Hill, or Hershey's ice cream people is in order. So many other unusual flavors out there, but not this one????

ann peeples

RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Fri, 09/1/06 9:18 AM (permalink)
                          I agree-the ice cream makers probably decided awhile ago to make it only at holiday time because demand went down the rest of the year-but with so many flavors out there now, I think the public would welcome peppermont stick as a regular option.......

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                            RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Fri, 09/1/06 9:38 AM (permalink)
                            I'd forgotten about peppermint stick. It was my favorite for a long time when I was a kid. And it had to come from Newport Creamery, the chain of dairy-bar restaurants in Rhode Island. We were spoiled, had a Creamery at the end of my subdivision. One of the only places we could go to on bikes without crossing the forbidden "big street."

Mamman

• Total Posts: 8
                              RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Mon, 09/11/06 5:04 PM (permalink)
                              Frogger,

I absolutely love peppermint ice cream. I got hooked in 1981 when I was undergoing chemotherapy and peppermint ice cream was just about the only thing I could eat. I used to buy it at Thrifty's Drugs here in Southern California, and they had it year-round. The last time I saw it there was at Christmas. Take a look at the Blue Bell ice cream site(they're in Texas), they might have it. I've ordered other ice cream from them before. Great ice cream.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                                RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Mon, 09/11/06 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                Just a thought, but I think if you want it year around, I think you can get it from the major producers. The key is to speak loudly and carry a big peppermint stick.

Speaking loudly: Anyone can create a blog on the web for free these days, a few people doing this dedicated entirely to this subject, mentioning their favorite brands that do it part time, may awaken these brands to the fact people like this flavor year around.

Carrying the big peppermint stick: If the brands do not respond, encourage the readers of your blog to pester these brands until they do so. This would include boycotting the brand until they came to their senses.

This approach even benefits the producers. They know what people want and they can save a lot of money by firing their very expensive consultants that do not know anything about what the consumer wants.

pinetree

• Total Posts: 52
                                  RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Fri, 09/15/06 11:36 AM (permalink)
                                  Wilcox Dairy in Manchester Vermont makes Peppermint Stick. I just had some a couple of weeks ago...incredibly good! There's also a brand in Maine, called Gifford's I think that makes it, 'cause I had some when I was up there this summer.

brentk

• Total Posts: 251
                                    RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Fri, 09/15/06 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                    Howard Johnson's Peppermint Stick and Mint Chocolate Chip bring back wonderful childhood memories. It is almost better that they are gone today as they couldn't possibly be as good as I remember them. Or could they?

buffetbuster

RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Tue, 10/10/06 8:22 AM (permalink)
                                      Peppermint stick is also one of my favorite flavors and I always order it when it is available. I had a scoop of it on Sunday at Handel's. Handel's is a nice ice cream chain out of Youngstown, Ohio, I believe, but I ate at the store in New Castle, Pa. It went really well with a scoop of black raspberry.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                        RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Wed, 10/11/06 4:00 PM (permalink)
                                        The variations include ren/white striped, crushed and red/white/green little nuggets. I loved how it turned the vanilla ice cream pink or light green where the dye came off!

I remember it in scoops all year round at Friendly's.

Williamsburger

• Total Posts: 395
                                          RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 10/19/06 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                          Edy's make a very good version of this. Also a "light" ice cream (or ice milk, I guess). I love peppermint ice cream. Good memories of my grandmother. I once bought six 1/2 gallons of the stuff to have a "Peppermint Ice Cream Party in July." Within a week we had an ice storm and were without power for 2 days. What a mess!

Cathy

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
                                            RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Tue, 11/14/06 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                            I just got the Edy's light Pep stick last nite--awesome! "Tis the season...."

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                              RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Wed, 11/15/06 2:22 AM (permalink)
                                              I think Friendly's used to have Peppermint Stick when I was a kid. Although now, I just but some vanilla or chocolate ice cream and make dark/white chocolate peppermint bark at home and break it up in my ice cream. Very tasty.

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
                                                RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Sun, 01/21/07 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                                Mayfield has the ice cream, usually from November thru January.

Space

• Total Posts: 78
                                                  RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Wed, 02/28/07 11:24 PM (permalink)
                                                  I used to work part-time at a place called Tyler's Ice Cream in Cortez, FL, which is a couple of miles west of Bradenton right on the Gulf coast. The original owners used to make some killer peppermint stick ice cream. I don't know if the current owners still do. For me, peppermint stick easily made the best milkshakes, although it was just fine by itself...far and away my favorite, until the original owners made up a batch of champagne sorbet.

buffetbuster

RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Thu, 03/1/07 5:03 AM (permalink)
                                                    I ate at the wonderful Central Dairy ice cream store in Jefferson City, Missouri last Saturday and I was surprised to see they had Peppermint Stick ice cream. I am used to only seeing it around Christmas time. Of the three scoops I had,(I also had a scoop of Cinnamon and a scoop of Chocolate Mint Chip), the Peppermint Stick was the best. I should have asked if they have it year round.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                                      RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Sun, 03/4/07 9:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      In San Clemente, CA there used to be a place called The Peppermint Palace. This was in the fifties and sixties during my misspent youth. Peppermint stick ice cream available 6 days a week, and I made sure I was there sopping it up whenever I could be, including after dentist trips. Last time I saw that storefront it was an empanada place and the wonderful ice cream was but a sweet memory.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                                                        • Location: New Orleans, LA
                                                        RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Tue, 03/6/07 6:04 PM (permalink)
                                                        If this helps - I'm not sure about the pieces of candy in it, but last night I was in Sam's and noticed they carry a peppermint ice cream. It caught might eye because I would have thought it was a seasonal item only carried through Christmas.

Salustra

• Total Posts: 510
                                                          • Location: Escondido, CA
                                                          RE: Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Tue, 03/6/07 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                                          I wonder if you brought in your own peppermint candy, would Coldstone smoosh it into their vanilla for you?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com