Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pepperoni rolls

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44
GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
RE: Pepperoni rolls Tue, 07/15/08 3:51 PM (permalink)
We have pepperoni rolls here in NJ, most pizzerias have them...

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
    RE: Pepperoni rolls Tue, 07/15/08 4:15 PM (permalink)
    I've done a fair amount of travelling around the country, and West Virginia is the only place that I've found them. They're not even in all parts of the Mountaineer State. My parents live just outside of Martinsburg, in the eastern panhandle, and they don't have them there. Whenever I travel through the Fairmont-Clarksburg-Morgantown area, I make it a point to get some. And if the only ones you've had have been in bags at convenience stores, you really haven't had any. The best ones come straight from the bakeries that produce them. The best ones I've ever had came from Colasessano's in Fairmont a few years ago (although from the Sterns' most recent review, they seem to have gone down hill since they "spiffed" the place up).

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
      RE: Pepperoni rolls Tue, 07/15/08 6:25 PM (permalink)
      Pepperoni rolls are available in Ohio's border towns. I just saw them in Marietta, which is a few miles from Parkersburg.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
        RE: Pepperoni rolls Tue, 07/22/08 11:09 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by MOC

I'm not familiar with the pepperoni roll - BUT, do pine for the Pepperoni ball. When I was in college in western PA there was a place that delivered 'til all hours - they were 25 cents a piece. They took checks too - I remember writing a check for $1.25. slices of pepperoni, mozzarella cheese packed into dough about the size of a cue ball and deep fried. Ooooh were they good!

We had something similar in college in northern NY (Scorereader can attest to these wonderful things), but they're the size of a medium pepperoni pizza (sauce, cheese, and pepperoni), rolled up and deep fried. The Sergi's pizza roll.

My sister's bf makes excellent pepperoni rolls of the type being discussed... going to have to hit him up for some this week.

amini1

• Total Posts: 49
          RE: Pepperoni rolls Sun, 07/27/08 4:36 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by SeamusD

quote:
          Originally posted by MOC

I'm not familiar with the pepperoni roll - BUT, do pine for the Pepperoni ball. When I was in college in western PA there was a place that delivered 'til all hours - they were 25 cents a piece. They took checks too - I remember writing a check for $1.25. slices of pepperoni, mozzarella cheese packed into dough about the size of a cue ball and deep fried. Ooooh were they good!

We had something similar in college in northern NY (Scorereader can attest to these wonderful things), but they're the size of a medium pepperoni pizza (sauce, cheese, and pepperoni), rolled up and deep fried. The Sergi's pizza roll.

My sister's bf makes excellent pepperoni rolls of the type being discussed... going to have to hit him up for some this week.

Sergi's was my local place also. I tried a pizza roll sober one time and it was disgusting. Sort of like White Castle and Krystal...they're much better when not 100% sober.

BurgerQueenie

• Total Posts: 1
            RE: Pepperoni rolls Thu, 03/28/13 11:35 PM (permalink)
            Earl of Sandwich

I found some a few years ago in a gas station in Paducah, KY of all places.

Do you happen to remember which gas station? I go to college in Murray, close to paducah, though I grew up in Erie, Pa, where those are common.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
              RE: Pepperoni rolls Fri, 03/29/13 1:56 PM (permalink)
              Whoa,  that was too long ago to remember but I think I was on US 60 headed east but don't remember much more than that.  I would not have guessed that there were things of the sort in Erie, PA.  All over town or at a specific location?

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                RE: Pepperoni rolls Mon, 05/6/13 8:08 PM (permalink)
                After my 1st visit to WV last summer, I have searched for pepperoni rolls done right.  Agreed, this is not a purist recipe, but

http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/in-pursuit-of-the-perfect-pepperoni-roll/

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                  RE: Pepperoni rolls Mon, 05/20/13 9:05 PM (permalink)
                  Love em. Giles Town and Country in Beaver Falls, PA makes several kinds. The usual, hot pepper, then odd ones like sausage, Italian hoagie, buffalo chicken, and the last time I was there..kielbasa and kraut.

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
                    Re:Pepperoni rolls Sat, 05/25/13 9:31 AM (permalink)
                    The only "pepperoni rolls" I've had came from a place called Gumby's Pizza in Iowa City.  I guess they're a chain that's usually found in college towns. 

Structurally I guess they're the same as what you all are talking about - baked bread with pepperoni inside - though, when I last had them (2001-ish), Gumby's never used pepperoni sticks, just the same slices as what they put on their pizza. 

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6217
                      Re:Pepperoni rolls Sat, 05/25/13 11:37 AM (permalink)
                      For a short time I helped out at a small grocery/deli in New Brighton, PA.  They made their own pepperoni rolls.  We would bake about 5-6 dz. every morning and we were sold out by mid-afternoon.  I ate one once........it was OK, pepperoni in bread dough.  I didn't find them especially fantastic but we sure sold a lot of them.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                        RE: Pepperoni rolls Sat, 05/25/13 12:16 PM (permalink)
                        gostillerz

Love em. Giles Town and Country in Beaver Falls, PA makes several kinds. The usual, hot pepper, then odd ones like sausage, Italian hoagie, buffalo chicken, and the last time I was there..kielbasa and kraut.

There's a corner gas station/grocery/restaurant called Al's Corner on Big Beaver Boulevard in Koppel, a few miles north of Beaver Falls, that has pepperoni rolls. I've not tried them, but one of these days I'm going to have to stop there and sample some of their stuff.

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
                          • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Pepperoni rolls Wed, 05/29/13 7:28 AM (permalink)
                          The Mancini bread store in the Strip District (near Wholey's) has pretty good ones.

The best I ever had was at Sarcone's Bakery in Philadelphia.

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                            RE: Pepperoni rolls Sat, 06/15/13 3:17 AM (permalink)
                            Living in WV, I have constant access to them. They all tend to be greasy from the pepperoni and if you dont dip them in marinara or some kind of sauce, they end up being kind of,,,,plain. I suppose they can be a decent little snack, but if some people are looking for a culinary revelation, this isnt it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com