Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere!

Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
2010/10/14 15:11:32 (permalink)

Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere!

As some of you know, I adjudicate marching bands throughout the eastern half of the US form Sept-Nov. I never know where I'll be until a few weeks before the season - even then, schedules change. Sometimes it's close enough to drive, other times they put me in an airplane and I fly. The hotels I'm put in are next to the airports. I get to the hotel by the free shuttle.

One thing I've noticed, is that most hotels near the airports are pretty nice, but the area around it ranges from desolate to dingy. Rarely would I trust a local place, so I'm happy to see a Ruby tuesdays, TGIFridays and Applebees. Keep in mind, I'm not eating much there outside of an appetizer. We're well fed at the band competition by band parents, who usualy provide a very nice homecooked smorgasbord of ziti, lasagna, meatballs, pasta or pasta salad, ceasar salad, southwestern dips, etc. or BBQ in southern states, complete with beans, slaw and greens. I can't complain in the least. In fact, I look forward to it. Since I'm already fed, when I/we go to Applebees and ilk (AFTER the competition), the bourbon is the same as anywhere else.

Well, this past weekend I was in Long Island. I was flown into Islip (Long Island MacArthur) Airport. About a mile and a half away from our hotel was an Applebees. It was just about the only thing open in the desolate/isolated area. My fellow adjucator and I went in for a drink at that Applebees in Bohemia, NY. Would you believe we had to wait for table in the bar area? And, the dining room was packed. And more people came in behind us. Families, buddies, girls night out, businessmen, guys wearing sports jerseys, harley bikers, and the weary travelors (us), the place had representative from every "out to dinner/drink" group you could think of.

I've never seen ANY chain THAT packed - except for years ago when these chains were new(ish). It was surreal. The environment was fun, the waiter was excellent, the food was ok (we got wings - they're ok, the sauce isn't offensive, but it does contain too much black pepper which isn't at all "Buffalo"), the drinks were a good pour and with 1/2 price well drinks and appetizers, the night out was light on the wallet.  For that alone, I can see why the bar was packed...the dining room being packed...well, that I can't figure out. But every table was being used when we arrive at 10:30pm. By midnight, the tables were clearing out a little, but the bar area was still packed. We left a still boisterous bar area at 12:30am, knowing we had a 1.5 mile walk and an 8:25am flight to Baltimore.

I wish I had pics...

12 Replies Related Threads

David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/14 22:24:37 (permalink)
    Long Island does tend to have a lot of people go out to restaurants on Friday and Saturday nights, resulting in long waits for a table.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/14 22:35:12 (permalink)
    I live a few miles down the road from the place you speak of. I went once when my kid won a coupon for a free meal at school. They served food that was edible yet unremarkable. There are half a dozen Applebees within 5 miles of the one you went to and they are all always packed. 

While the immediate area around there is mostly industrial parks, a few miles south are a host of way better offerings. I just don't get it.

If you ever find yourself this way again let me know. I owe you a drink or two!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/15 01:34:01 (permalink)
    Tony - I wish I knew you were there! Boy, a couple miles south would put me on the coast - that excites me! I knew I was "near" awesome food, but I also knew it wasn't something I could get to by foot.

These judging trips are so short, I rarely have time to do anything but judge - which is why hotel chains are a safe bet for a night-cap.

I so wish I could've seen you Tony - some day, I'll try to plan a little more time. This was the first year I was sent to Long Island. If it happens again, I'll give you some notice. Thanks!

PS We were at La Quinta Inn - close by was a diner, which we went to for lunch. Not bad at all. The host was weird, calling us "gentlemen" both on entry and exit of the restaurant. My Southern fellow adjuducator found that odd. Gentleman has a few different meanings in the South, neither of which matched the situation of smoeone coming to eat. 

Anyway, I got an egg salad platter, which I thought would be a sandwich with some small sides, but ended up an egg salad over a greens salad with large sides (coleslaw, potato salad). I couldn't finish my plate, I'm ashamed to admit. The waitress had one of the heaviest LonggEyeland accents I've heard since college when I became close friend with some folks from Nassau and Suffolk Counties

I think the Diner was called, Towers Diner.

I'd go there again, and try something else. It's a faux 50's diner atmosphere, but it's still a decent diner on the whole. Definately worth a second try.

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/15 09:21:35 (permalink)
    Towers is an okay diner, but to be honest, there are few really standout diners any more. It is hard to tell one from the other. Some are cleaner, and make a bit more effort to prepare their food, but most are not the kind of place where the same old chef was turning out specialties day after day. Now it is mostly sysco fare prepared by a guy who worked down the street last month, not a place where old chef Cooky prepares his specialties of the day. We have one nearby place that is an old style diner, with the same old chef working seemingly 24/7, unfortunately he is not a good cook.

Sayville and Patchogue have a lot of good places, including some decent seafood places. They are just a few miles from the La Quinta where you stayed, but it would be a pretty long walk! 

Please do let me know if you are ever up this way, I'd be happy to serve as tour guide and/or car service!

I know what you mean about "gentleman" being an odd greeting in many parts of the world, but in these parts I think he was just trying to show some respect to his customers.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/15 13:55:34 (permalink)
    My daughter opend an Applebees in Cleburn Tx. The whole place was as you described Score. I thought it was just because she worked there. Well... maybe part of it was? Many folks I met at the bar knew here from before there.

Gentleman, a common term of respect here in Texas. I would have never have even thought of the term as otherwise. I still don't know what yall are talking about.
    Joe
    post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/15 13:58:52
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/15 15:47:07 (permalink)
    yeah, the Towers host was fine. No complaints. He was trying to be polite for sure. The Waitress was good, too. Service-wise, no complaints. In fact, thinking of both places, I'd have to say that the service was very good on this trip. We felt welcome and appreciated.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/15 15:49:58 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

My daughter opend an Applebees in Cleburn Tx. The whole place was as you described Score. I thought it was just because she worked there. Well... maybe part of it was? Many folks I met at the bar knew here from before there.

Gentleman, a common term of respect here in Texas. I would have never have even thought of the term as otherwise. I still don't know what yall are talking about.
    Joe

It's an old fashioned word - usually for older people, or formal situations or someone in a gentlemen's club.

It wasn't shocking or anything, just odd the way it came out. You had to be there I guess. Anyway, as I said, the service was pretty darn good on this trip.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/15 16:30:54 (permalink)
    Score, well, guess I'm older people :~) so maybe that's why it sounded normal to me. Although... they don't greet a few guys coming into a Whata Burger like that down here but at nicer places it is something you might hear often.

Anyway, I guess there are Applebee's and C*&$lbees. I had a few great times at the one my daughter worked at. And the appetizers at the bar were not so bad. But maybe tha Bourbon helped a bit ??? :~0
    Joe
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/15 17:30:49 (permalink)
    bourbon always helps!
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/18 02:32:19 (permalink)
    How would you have felt if he said "wat up homies?" or maybe, Hey Dudes! lol
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/18 23:56:01 (permalink)
    Several years ago we were on the final leg of a road trip from KC to Seattle and back. On our last night on the road, we found ourselves staying at a place on the outskirts of Cheyenne, WY with nothing remotely close but an Outback Steakhouse. We had no choice. Let me say, it was like Prom night at the Outback. We hadn't seen such a crowd at any place, chain or otherwise, for some time. Not in Seattle or even KC. People must have driven from miles around to go to the Outback.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Perhaps the busiest Applebee's anywhere! 2010/10/19 08:36:03 (permalink)
    I have an ad in the newspaper for a Cook, a guy called me last night asking about the job. When I answered the phone he said "wazz up" I don't think I want him being the first thing my customers see in my Cafe..........................

I was in Vegas last week and for my wife and Kids pick for dinner they picked Planet Hollywood. I got to get my pick "Carnegie Deli" so I had to go a long with it. My wife asked me how I liked my food, I told her it was on of the worst meal I have had in a long time. I don't know how they do it but all these places are the same, the food is tasteless and feels like everything is prefab...................BillyB
    post edited by BillyB - 2010/10/19 08:37:22
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1