Persimmon pudding

Author
bss717
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
2006/10/06 21:26:33 (permalink)

Persimmon pudding

I grew up in Indiana and we always had persimmon pudding around thanksgiving through the end of the year. I've moved to several different states since then and have not found anyone else who know's about this great dessert.

Just curious how many people have tried it and what they thought of it. My wife (from KS) hated it.

9 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: Persimmon pudding 2006/10/06 22:00:08 (permalink)

bss,
    Tell your wife that another converted Hoosier joins her in her dislike of these nasty little devils!!

We have three Persimmon Trees on one side of our property, Two very large and one about 15 ft tall so far. They put out a huge crop of fruit each year. We made Persimmon Pudding and bread and some other stuff one season, but never again. I don't care much for the taste and the work involved in the processing of that cling-pitted fruit was quite a task.
    One year we did have some folks from this area pick/pick up fruit, but we don't even get a good reaction to a sign posted on our road that invites people to pick free Persimmons!

We have apples and crab-apples, pears, apricots, cherries and various berries, all of which I tend to each year and love the results. But the Persimmons are not on my list of best-loved crops! The worst part is after the frost when a lot of them drop at once...running the mower thru that grass is just plain Yuckie !!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Persimmon pudding 2006/10/06 22:26:49 (permalink)
    I love persimmon pudding and cookies. We used to grow Fuyu persimmons on our family farm in San Juan Capistrano. As far as I'm concerned, Thanksgiving and Christmas wouldn't be the same without them.

ATTN: AL: If you have any Vietnamese in your area, they will buy all the persimmons you can sell them, and then some. They were our best customers. They bought them direct and picked them up themselves, so we were able to avoid paying a broker's cut.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Persimmon pudding 2006/10/07 01:05:12 (permalink)
    I like 1 or 2 a year and thats plenty.

MikeS.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Persimmon pudding 2006/10/07 13:12:16 (permalink)
    We had persimmons in the woods around where I grew up. Would wait for the frost and them to fall, and then gather them up. But, yes, the game wore out quickly, since they were so much trouble to eat or cook with.

Asian persimmons, on the other hand, are the big, sweet ones. Without the seed. Fuyu is probably the most popular.

Persimmon trivia: the bezoar. A bezoar (phyotobezoar) is a mass of undigestable fiberous matter, usually in the stomach, but sometimes lower down, perhaps requiring surgery to remove if it's a problem. The fiber in persimmons is a noted cause, mostly native American persimmons. In besoar circles, it's not uncommon to hear about hunters in the fall, out in the woods, coming across a persimmon bounty, chowing down, getting all clogged up, and requiring medical attention.
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Persimmon pudding 2006/10/09 14:25:18 (permalink)
    I've never had persimmon pudding, but I'm sure I'd love it. One of the most interesting (and delicious) desserts I've ever had was cooked by a friend's wife in Lake Como, Italy. After a perfect lazy Sunday (eat a bit, walk a bit, drink a bit)they served a many-course late afternoon feast: grilled peppers, tiny whole fresh sardines, homemade pasta, and many other courses. As we savored some grappa, Antonella brought out a large earthenware bowl of persimmons poached in whiskey. As unusual as it sounded, and as stuffed as I was, I had to have a second helping. The whiskey brought out a completely different character in the persimmons, a fruit I already dearly loved.
    Not to change the subject entirely, but do any of you other guys out there find persimmons reminiscent of a particularly tender bit of the female anatomy?
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Persimmon pudding 2006/10/09 14:43:58 (permalink)
    See MikeS's "Green Persimmons" post in the Off-Topic forum.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: Persimmon pudding 2006/10/09 15:25:10 (permalink)

I find Persimmons to be reminiscent of what one finds inside a Pampers when grandpa gets stuck taking care of the baby while the ladies go shopping. Color, Smell. Consistency...yep it all matches up !
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Persimmon pudding 2006/10/10 09:55:13 (permalink)

There are several persimmon trees around my neighborhood but they will not be ready for consumption until the first good strong frost. Until then, they treat your mouth like alum. After the frost, they are sweet and soft.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Persimmon pudding 2006/10/10 10:23:27 (permalink)
    Persimmons are pretty big around here (central valley of california) during the holdiays... everyone has their recipe for persimmon cookies. Strangely enough, the best seem to come from the old retired guys who like to putter in the kitchen. No one makes persimmon pudding unfortunately, sounds good. I tried those kind of persimmons that you can eat like apples recently....pretty good.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1