Peter Luger ... Backstage

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
paulde
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/03/22 16:10:04 (permalink)
I don’t get the pre-sliced thing at Luger.  When I order a Porterhouse I would like the whole steak to be served bone and all. I have only been once and found the steak to be good but not great.  When dealing with beef I know it is impossible to maintain consistency. I would love to return again and see if I have better luck.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/03/22 17:00:59 (permalink)
I love it served like that.  They cut it to perfection and it is just a wonderful meal.  I cannot wait to go again.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/03/29 03:30:37 (permalink)
madison

saps, yes i have heard of it, saw it on steak lovers paradise. i guess i can't see paying that much money for a plate of grissle and fat, when i go for a good steak i realize that is where the flavor comes from, but from the pics it seems extremely fatty and not worth it to me. maybe if you treat i might go..........

If you watched Steak Lovers Paradise, then you should know that a large amount of that exterior fat & gristle is trimmed off. If you knew anything about meat buying, cutting and preparation, you would know Lugers paid for that meat based on Gross Weight. They lose about 40-45% of the Gross Weight once that streak is properly thimmed down to Net Weight. That's one of the factors that goes into the price you pay for a Good Properly Aged Prime Steak. You would also know that the only beef they buy is "USDA PRIME". What makes it "Prime" is the marbling in the meat. Duh!
I suggest you stick with McDonalds. They use "USDA Cutter" AND PROCESS THE HELL OUT OF IT!
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/03/29 03:51:31
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/03/29 03:59:23 (permalink)
madison

Alot of the steaks pictured look like more grissle and fat than prime meat, is the ceiling mold and dirty floor where the flavor comes from???

If you knew anything about Back House Restaurant Operations, you would know that Aging Room is very clean based on the thousands of pounds of meat that go thru there daily. I'm sure the floor gets cleaned everyday.
DocChuck
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/03/29 06:17:38 (permalink)
Well, when I have to accompany my wife to New Yawk City on business (not my favorite place to visit, obviously), we sometimes eat at Peter Luger's.  I have never had a complaint about the food -- it is outstanding.  Of course, at those prices, we should expect no less.

However, the attitudes of some of the staff members leave a WHOLE LOT to be desired.  As Southern folks, we are NOT impressed with the condescending BS, even if  BAD MANNERS  is supposedly part of the yankee 'shtick' 
post edited by DocChuck - 2010/03/29 09:31:48
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/03/29 09:49:00 (permalink)
I have eaten at Peter Luger at least 5 times in recent years and have never had a waiter be in the least condesending.We have always enjoyed talking to them, and they have been excellent and gracious servers.

In fact, the last time we went, we had 3 small children with us and they were treated like royalty.............even to an extra serving of creamed spinach being brought out to them,  as well as  hot fudge sundaes for dessert  because  "Every well behaved child deserves dessert."
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/03/29 14:46:32 (permalink)
DocChuck

Well, when I have to accompany my wife to New Yawk City on business (not my favorite place to visit, obviously), we sometimes eat at Peter Luger's.  I have never had a complaint about the food -- it is outstanding.  Of course, at those prices, we should expect no less.

However, the attitudes of some of the staff members leave a WHOLE LOT to be desired.  As Southern folks, we are NOT impressed with the condescending BS, even if  BAD MANNERS  is supposedly part of the yankee 'shtick' 

If you thought you were treated badly at Peter Luger's, then you definitely don't want to go to Durgin Park in Boston!
 http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/320-320/durginpark
cgpublic
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/04/18 21:36:16 (permalink)
Luger's? Best steakhouse experience in NYC.

Our party of four, two adults and two children, enjoyed an outstanding dinner last evening at the original location. Shrimp cocktail and tomato/onion for starters, a perfect Porterhouse for three cooked medium rare, German potatoes and broccoli for the main course, apple strudel with plenty of fresh schlag and ice cream sundaes for dessert.

Service was excellent - the waiters sang a very nice rendition of Happy Birthday to my wife, and showered the children with gold chocolate coins.

Even better was the steak - if there's a better tasting steak in America, I've haven't had one, and I've had plenty all over this country.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/04/18 22:59:00 (permalink)
Greymo

I have eaten at Peter Luger at least 5 times in recent years and have never had a waiter be in the least condesending.We have always enjoyed talking to them, and they have been excellent and gracious servers.

In fact, the last time we went, we had 3 small children with us and they were treated like royalty.............even to an extra serving of creamed spinach being brought out to them,  as well as  hot fudge sundaes for dessert  because  "Every well behaved child deserves dessert."

Hmm, maybe "DocChuck" wasn't a very well behaved child.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
Re:Peter Luger ... Backstage 2010/04/25 12:15:04 (permalink)
Michael,
   I would put money on the validity of your comment. However, We will not be entertained by his irrational comments any longer.

I have never been to Peter Lugars, but have been impressed with the supporting write-ups here on this site, and the many visual tours on various food shows on TV. While Doe's Eat Place (Both the Greenville, MS and the Paducah, KY stores) lack the upper-class ambience of the NYC steak emporium, The beef one gets in the homey environment adds a flavor all it's own to the steak-eater experience. I vote a Big PLUS for both versions of a steak Restaurant!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1