Peter Lugers?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/30 14:33:49 (permalink)
Tommy eats...No..KC and NY are the same. The part I do not like of the porterhouse is the tenderloin. So, I'd seek out the slices of what would be the strip portion if it was butchered differently. The tenderloin part, at $45 or more per person, is something that definitely tastes and "feels" different when you are eating it. Just not for me. But, I do like a filet. They serve the steak, sort of put back together, like a puzzle,at Luger's. So, I stayed away from the tenderloin.

If you get a center cut rib pork chop vs a center cut pork loin chop (costs more!)the same exact thing is evident. In a center cut pork chop, there is a portion of the tenderloiin on the opposite side of the loin portion..It's darker meat and tastes completely different. ust like if you brought a whole pork tenderloin; that meat is much darker and has a different texture than the meat from what you could call the loin.

The pork tenderloin is very tender, tastes different and has a different texture..Don't like them either when part of a center cut rib chop, but I do like the tenderloin, if served by itself. Go figure.
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/30 14:41:34 (permalink)
ah. just like the rest of the animal, the strip changes from back to front, so i thought maybe the strip you like comes more from the front of the short loin, as opposed to the back (where the porterhouse comes from).

i am puzzled that you like tenderloin, but only on its own. tenderloin for me is only good when it's been dry-aged and is attached to the strip.

i'll tell you what, we can go to lugers, you can have (most) of the strip side, and i'll take care of that funky tenderloin side for you.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/30 15:30:37 (permalink)
Sounds like a plan....I like my strip steak smack from the middle of the shell...I do not like that end cut! Do you ever by the entire shell and have them cut it up in steaks for you?
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/30 15:33:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Travelin Man..Just a point. I do not think Metro in Seattle serves prime beef. I'm pretty sure about that. I've been there....Perhaps some others on that list of your's may not either?

I can only tell you that it is sometimes hard to hear the rest of an argument when you start out on the wrong foot. The Met most certainly serves prime grade beef. Their menu can be found here: http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/food.cfm I didn't choose to pull up the web site for every place I mentioned, but here is the Ringside, too: http://www.ringsidesteakhouse.com/ I guess you have to navigate that one yourself, as it does not link directly to the menu. However, I went back and re-read my post and I never claimed that the Met or anywhere else serves prime beef. I only listed a number of steakhouses so as to lend some kind of credence to my praise of Luger's. I hate when threads offer irrefutable "bests" based on one visit - for instance, "The best philly cheesesteak in the world is at...." when they have only been to two or three places on all of one visit to Philadelphia.

quote:

I feel this is a very important distinction in making a comparison and touting Peter Luger's as the "Best Steakhouse" in America. You are pretty firm on that.

I am? Again, though, re-reading my previous post, I didn't say that Peter Luger is "the "Best Steakhouse" in America." I said that I have been to no place BETTER. However, I also haven't been to Tea Steakhouse in SD or Doe's or any number of other places.

quote:

But, it has to be an "apples to apples" comparison right? That should take into account the cut of meat, the grade and I firmly believe price. Especially the price. Anyone can serve the best quality, if you charge enough for it.

It HAS to be an "apples to apples" comparison? Ummm...no. I said that I have been to no place BETTER. I never claimed what the criteria for my comparison were - and, other than giving some reference to the places that I am comparing, I don't know that my statement is one that could be disagreed with. If YOU think that *I* have been to some place better, please let me know. If you would like to only take the cut of meat and the price into account, go for it. For me, intangible things like service, ambiance, history, etc. most certainly play a part in the whole experience that is dining out. A lot of people think that service and ambiance are THE MOST IMPORTANT criteria - as evidenced by the number of frou frou type restaurants that thrive, that aren't really my thing.

quote:

Hey, I'd love to have tried many of the places you are mentioning that "do not compare" to Luger's, but frankly I never had a business expense account. I'm retired and there are choices in life we all make. I never could deal with NYC steakhouse prices on any type of frequent basis. My visits were usually "event driven." I've been to Luger's several times, Bern's, The Old Homestead, Ruth Chris, Metropolitan and a few others.

I am not going to apologize for having a job that keeps me away from my friends and family for about six months out of the year (like you said - we all make choices) and also picks up a portion of my restaurant bills. I am a single guy (which, honestly, has allowed me far more opportunity to travel than my job ever did) with low personal expenses, too. My "expense account" is a per diem that I get when I am on the road for work. It is all of $45/day (and has been for five years). Yes, anyone can easily eat for $45/day at home - but, there is a reason why Rachael Ray did a show called "$40 a Day" - because it is not easy to do when you are eating out on the road. To go to a place like Ringside, the Met or Peter Luger's means that I either need to supplement my per diem or eat significantly cheaper on other meals during my travel period. It is a supplement - but, don't think I am eating high off the hog on the corporate dime.

quote:

I noticed you had very, very few NYC restaurants on your list.

Yes, when I am in NY, and I want a steak, I usually just go to Luger's. I have also been to Major's on Long Island, which is good, but also not in the same class. A lot of the places in NYC are just Luger clones anyway - Wolfgang's, for example - if I am going to do the "Luger-style" - why not go to Luger? Of course, you may not be able to get a table at Luger on short notice - so, that could be a reason to go some place else.

quote:

Perhaps the comparison should be a porterhouse from Luger's to say a porterhouse from someplace like Doe's in Mississippi? I'd think a comparison should also take into account the price.

If a steakhouse in Mississippi cannot provide a quality meal at a lower price than a restaurant in NYC, then there is another problem. I would think that the real estate costs in MS are significantly less than NYC, so if you are big on comparing apples to apples, I don't know that this is going to work, either. Besides, if you are in NY, you are going to have a hard time eating at Doe's - and, besides the people who frequent this site, I don't know too many people who plan their vacations around which steakhouses are available.

quote:

Travlin Man, I don't think you've compared apples to apples so while we can all appreciate that it gets your vote as The Best Steakhouse in the country, I think that may not be correct.

Facts are either correct or incorrect; opinions belong to those that express them - and, by definition, cannot be wrong. The only fact that I stated is that I have never been to any steakhouse better than Luger's.

quote:

Anyone been to Lugers and Doe's? Boy, I'd love to hear from them. Compare the price, not atmosphere, of course. Just the steak.

Just to clarify, I also never said anything about Peter Luger serving the best steak (or one that is better than the steak served anywhere else). As a matter of fact, I never even discussed the steak at all. I mentioned the bacon, the sauce, the tomato and onion appetizer and the famous Luger Burger.

And, as silly as I think Top 10 lists are, I think head-to-head comparisons are just as ridiculous. I know of few people whose decision on where they will eat on any given day would include the choices of Luger's and Doe's on that same day. "What do you think, honey, should we go to Brooklyn or Mississippi tonight for dinner?" No. If you want to compare Pat's and Geno's, go ahead. If you want to compare Katz's and Carnegie, fine. But, Doe's and Luger's just makes no sense to me.

quote:

We've had enough .... "Harold's" posts for a lifetime already.

This is the second time that you mentioned this in a week. For those of us that get out of the house, travel, take pictures, and then write up what we found, it's a little insulting - especially coming from someone who has a few posts and hasn't posted a single trip report. Yes, there are other ways to contribute to this web site, and I don't mean that people who post trips are any more important than anyone else - but, in a variation of the old adage, it seems that those who cannot - just criticize. In my previous post, one of the things that I *DID* write was for someone to offer a steakhouse that *is* better than Luger's. I couldn't find your response anywhere in your otherwise lengthy response.

quote:

Thanks and no disrespect to The Travlin Man.

None taken...I hope you feel the same way.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/30 18:42:29 (permalink)
Traveling Man: I wish you had been on my debating team in high school. We would have done much better.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8659
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/30 19:28:04 (permalink)
I have never been to Peter Lugers.Yet I will stand by my opinion that the best steak I have had,THUS FAR, is a place called 5 O'Clock Club here in Milwaukee.I would compare it to the best around the country.Looking forward to trying PL or Does.Until then, as Travelin Man seems to be saying-the best HE has had...
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/30 19:44:09 (permalink)
This thread makes me wonder about a place in Scranton called Great Uncle Peter's.

http://www.greatunclepeters.com/aboutus.html

I think I need to eat there and see what I think. maybe I'll hit the lotto...?
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/30 21:09:59 (permalink)
My error on Metro in Seattle. Yes, I thought it was a choice grade steak that I'd been served. They sure fooled me didn't they.

You said you'd been to lots of places and eaten at lots of steakhouses and we should "show you a better steakhouse." I thought you were really quite definitive about Peter Lugers actually. No, it never dawned on me you were talking about their tomato and onion and bacon sides. the over-all experience rather than the meat. My comments were all about the meat. I say they made sense..You disagree. Fine. But, when someone posts "Show me a better steakhouse" I think that can evoke challenges and comments...Don't you? I made what I thought were some good points .... You felt otherwise. End of story. Let the readers digest and comment as they wish.

But, getting back to my Trip Reports "deficiencies"..Please know I make it a point to always thank each and every person whose report I've gotten to see. If that's not sufficient, I don't know what else to say.

<this is a discussion about Peter Luger..stay on topic please>
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/30 21:23:30 (permalink)
Peter Lugers has by far The BEST BAY CORN in the country...Russ
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/03/31 23:06:01 (permalink)
you guys have 5 days to jump on this Peter Luger mug.... good luckthe best part is that this mug was made by Hall China

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hall-China-Mug-Peter-Luger_W0QQitemZ200212240511QQihZ010QQcategoryZ450QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/01 16:58:33 (permalink)
Been to PL's so many times, I can't count that high but I have only been to Peter Luger's a few times WITHOUT a female. Definitely a place to take a woman who can appreciate the atmosphere and food.
swirsk53
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/04 17:25:07 (permalink)
Lugers rules:

The "Steak Sauce" is NOT for the steak.
The "steak sauce" IS for the tomatoes and onions.

Brooklyn is the "real original" and more Lugeresque than Great Neck.

Great Neck is great for business lunches on Long Island, especially if you are having a business lunch who eats.

The Porterhouse for 2,3, etc is the way to go, but you need to make sure everyone else wants it rare too.

Ordering anything but Porterhouse is like the scene in Annie Hall where Diane Keaton orders pastrami on white with lettuce and tomato at the Carnegie--SACRILEGE.

The onion rings and fries are sleepers. They are great and usaully an afterthought.

tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/04 22:43:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by swirsk53

Lugers rules:

just as a matter of clarification, are these your rules for Luger's, or are they "Luger's rules".
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/05 12:38:54 (permalink)
We've been to Great Neck but we all agree that Brooklyn is better. Somehow, even the Porterhouse tasted better. I agree with swirsk53 that you pass on the fries and rings but we always enjoy the home fries and creamed spinach. I disagree that you only order porterhouse; my son always orders the lamb chops. They are served as an individual serving and after he's knocked those off, he turns his attention to the porterhouse that's served family style. I guess you'd call that a mixed grill.

Last time we were there we witnessed a comedic scene at the next table. The waiter was reverently holding a bottle of A1 steak sauce while explaining how lucky they were as it was their very last bottle. I think they missed the sarcasm.
swirsk53
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/05 13:15:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tommyeats

quote:
Originally posted by swirsk53

Lugers rules:

just as a matter of clarification, are these your rules for Luger's, or are they "Luger's rules".

not really rules at all. just my preferences. to each their own.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1512
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/05 17:47:39 (permalink)
How much does a meal cost at Lugers?
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/05 18:36:19 (permalink)
Depending, a rough estimate is about $50 per person minimum (liquor extra). Everything is a la carte.
NYC2SoCal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/22 02:26:22 (permalink)
Sorry for the late add.. I come to this site maybe once a year. But I have to echo Travellin Mans assessment. I personally have not found a steakhouse in the USA better than Peter Lugers. I have been to 43 states, and have eaten at many many steakhouses. Granted most if not all of them were in the large cities of those states. When I go into a steakhouse, I order what the steakhouse is known for (except if it's filet mignon). I order it medium rare, and sometimes, if in the mood, rare. Over the years, there have been shifts in my "rankings", but Peter Lugers has always remained in my top slot, at least for the last 15 or so years. My "current" rankings are:

1. Peter Lugers; Brooklyn, NY
2. Berns; Tampa, FL
3. McKendricks; Atlanta, GA

Sorry, I have not been to Doe's.. MS is actually one of the 7 states I have never been to.

Other things about Lugers, as others have mentioned, the sauce is great with the tomatoes and onions. I always order a Porterhouse for 2. If we have a party of 8, I would order 4 doubles (4 porterhouses for 2) vs, 2 porterhouses for 4. I believe the Great Neck one has salads. The Brooklyn one doesn't.. If you want greens, they have an awesome creamed spinach. That brings a story, I had a lady friend once ask what kind of salad they had (newbie). The waiter responded with "what are you a rabbit?". I was on the floor.. I love those waiters! :) Actually, it looks like they did add a salad to the Brooklyn menu. Oh, another thing, you have to ask for a menu.. Maybe they could just tell I've been there before, but I think I only got a menu once in the 20+ times I've been there.
NYC2SoCal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/22 02:31:23 (permalink)
Hmm.. $50 is a little "tight".. When I go to Lugers, a party of 2 usually runs just under 200. The covers Shrimp Cocktail, Tomato and Onion, Porterhouse for 2, Creamed Spinach, German Fried Potatoes and a bottle of cabernet. Oh, and a coffee at the end.. Dessert if I'm crazy (that schlag is awesome) ;)
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/22 18:33:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYC2SoCal

Hmm.. $50 is a little "tight".. When I go to Lugers, a party of 2 usually runs just under 200. The covers Shrimp Cocktail, Tomato and Onion, Porterhouse for 2, Creamed Spinach, German Fried Potatoes and a bottle of cabernet. Oh, and a coffee at the end.. Dessert if I'm crazy (that schlag is awesome) ;)

I agree with you - $50 does seem a little tight, but it could probably be done. My last dinner meal at Luger's was in a party of three, we had the tomato and onion appetizer (for two), bacon appetizer (three slices), steak for three, German potatoes (which I still call home fries), creamed spinach, broccoli, one of their inexpensive bottles of red (~$40/bottle, IIRC), and one dessert split three ways (cheesecake?). The total bill came to $270, including the tip ($90/pp) - but, admittedly, that did include wine.

As far as the cost goes, everything is relative. I spent about $85/pp at Smith and Wollensky on Miami Beach - the wait was too long at Joe's ! - and it wasn't half as good as the meal at Luger's.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/22 18:47:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mikez629

Is it really worth going to PL's steak house in NYC. My wife is begging me to go. The waiting period for reservation is long,and every time I see a story on PL's there seems to be no women in the place (is it tabo to bring a woman).

Peter Luger's has for some time now been owned by a female, so feel free to bring a hungry one.

Cash only. Go to your ATM for $80/plate for food & tip; add accordingly for booze.

Enjoy! This is a landmark joint which truly lives up to its reputation. It has the best meat North of B.A.!
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/23 14:29:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYC2SoCal

Sorry for not being clear; but I think the porterhouse is about $50 per person and everything is a la carte. I didn't mean to imply that only the bar bill was extra.
BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/04/23 14:59:00 (permalink)
Has anybody here been to Joseph's in Bridgeport,Ct.? The chef/owner supposedly worked at Peter Luger's. We are going there this weekend. Any suggestions?
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/06/13 20:00:42 (permalink)
YES !!!
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/07/20 22:42:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I use the "steak" sauce on something besides the bread and shrimp cocktail (come to think of it, I have never had the shrimp cocktail).

Order the tomato and onion appetizer and a slice of bacon. Slice the tomato and onion into bite size portions. Add a small piece of the bacon and a touch of the sauce. It is the perfect combination of flavors. I also sometimes use a small dollop of sauce on the burger served at lunch, but the burger doesn't need it at all.

And, for those who say that there are BETTER steak houses than Luger's, please tell me where they are. I have a pretty impressive list of steak houses that I have visited over time - great independent steak houses - but, I have yet to find one that is BETTER than Luger's, and I am not sure that I have found one that is AS GOOD AS Luger's.

Some examples include...

Ringside - Portland, OR
Vito's Chop House - Orlando, FL
Drinkwater's - Scottsdale, AZ
Metropolitan Grill - Seattle, WA
Johnny's Cafe - Omaha, NE
Angus Barn - Raleigh, NC
Smith and Wollensky
Morton's
The Palm
Ruth's Chris...and many, many more. Understand, I like these places a lot - but, they don't compare to Luger's.

Totally agree: something completely unique and special about Luger's
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/07/27 00:47:22 (permalink)
Peter Luger's does not accept "mainstream credit cards".

However, they do have a Peter Luger credit card.

I am happy to report (as a woman) not only will they let me eat there, I am a "card carrying member" since 2006. LOL
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/07/31 19:27:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCinNJ

again, this is not accurate based on what I've experienced, heard, and read. they have accepted debit cards, and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't do the same right at this moment.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/08/03 05:26:12 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

again, this is not accurate based on what I've experienced, heard, and read. they have accepted debit cards, and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't do the same right at this moment.

As per Peter Luger's website

http://www.peterluger.com/carap.cfm

I have read (on blogs) that Peter Luger's has a secret debit card acceptance policy. I always err on the side of caution. I would never take the chance of walking into the place with just a debit card, without cash or the PL card. The secret policy is not so secret anymore, and PL can change their unadvertised acceptance, at any time, without any warning.
jfitz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/08/03 06:26:42 (permalink)
When you Noo Yok types are in vicinity of Southwest Fla and are missing Lugers try Andre's in Naples. He does his best to duplicate Luger's and he does'nt miss to far!
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: Peter Lugers? 2008/08/03 09:27:21 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

As per Peter Luger's website

http://www.peterluger.com/carap.cfm

I have read (on blogs) that Peter Luger's has a secret debit card acceptance policy.

i'm glad to see we agree.

for everyone's reference, there's an ATM right outside of the restaurant, just in case.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1