Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel

Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2423
2013/03/14 20:39:37 (permalink)

Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel

I know you guys are great on telling me where to chow down. Is there a better location to stay and see the sites and be close to everything ???????? I guess I want my cake and eat it too.........I was looking at the Sonesta Hotel on market street...............thx........Bill

22 Replies Related Threads

RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/15 16:42:55 (permalink)
    Depends on where you plan on spending most of your time.  Sonesta is walkable to RTM, Museum of Art, Barnes, Rittenhouse Square.  More of a hike to Old City, Liberty Bell, Independence Hall but, Center City is very walkable.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/15 16:52:52 (permalink)
    The Marriott on Market Street is a bit more centrally located within Center City. The Sonesta is more on the western side of the downtown area, which as Mike alluded to, would give you a bit of a hike to the historic district if you want to see that stuff and would prefer to walk. The Marriott is also only a block from the Reading Terminal and very close to Chinatown. But again, as Mike indicated, if you're more interested in things like art museums than you are the historic district, then the Sonesta is in a pretty good location.

But really, Center City is not that big. You can stay anywhere in town and be a short cab or bus/subway ride from anywhere else. So it partially depends on whether you're into walking and would prefer to skip public transportation and cabs. If that's the case, I'd say the Marriott is a good bet (there is also a Hilton Garden Inn near that Marriott, but it's on kind of an unattractive block).
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2013/03/15 16:55:16
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1689
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/15 18:25:16 (permalink)
    I'd go with Marriott too. If you're planning to "chow" at places like the Italian Market, the cheesesteaks boys,etc. you'll need transport, but cabs are readily available. If you do rent a car and have never been to the area, I'd also suggest a 30-40 min drive west out near me to see Longwood gardens, Winterhur, Hagley Museum etc.  Few places like them in the US and they rival some of the best of Europe.  for dining, The Longwood Garden Restaurant(inside the park) is not bad..even the cafeteria side has nicely made sandwiches and soups along with wine and beer.  A bit further North on Rte 1 is The Brandywine River Museum with lots of Andy Wyeth ( a neighbor) prints and other illustrators.  At the corner of Route 1 and 100..about 400 yds from the museum is Hanks, a great treat and old Wyeth hangout
    pnwchef
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/15 20:23:00 (permalink)
    I like the idea of being close to the Reading Terminal, it's a place that will take care of at least one meal a day. We are only in Philly for two days, we will be hoofing it around that area. I would like to get to the Italian mkt, they make fresh Mozzarella and Ricotta at a few of the stores. I figured Philly would be a good idea, we are taking the train from New York and since it went into Philly why not stay a few days. I also like the idea that it 's a walkable town...........Thanks to all, we will be staying near the RT. After we left Philly an Italian friend of mine and I, have a bone to pick with Chewingthefat..........................Bill
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/15 23:02:32 (permalink)
    The Italian Market is probably about a mile from the Marriott, mainly south, and a few blocks east.

If you want to get a cheesesteak at the Reading Terminal, I recommend By George, the Italian/pizza stand along Filbert Street, over Carmen's. DeNic's is known for roast pork, but I usually get their meatball sandwich with sharp provolone, which is probably about as good as any meatball sandwich I've had.

Oh, and while I haven't tried it yet, Steve's Prince of Steaks just opened a location on 16th Street off of Chestnut. I agree with those who think Steve's serves the best cheesesteak in Philly (and I'm hoping they can match the original at this new location).
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2013/03/15 23:21:32
    pnwchef
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/16 11:28:50 (permalink)
    phlmaestro

The Italian Market is probably about a mile from the Marriott, mainly south, and a few blocks east.

If you want to get a cheesesteak at the Reading Terminal, I recommend By George, the Italian/pizza stand along Filbert Street, over Carmen's. DeNic's is known for roast pork, but I usually get their meatball sandwich with sharp provolone, which is probably about as good as any meatball sandwich I've had.

Oh, and while I haven't tried it yet, Steve's Prince of Steaks just opened a location on 16th Street off of Chestnut. I agree with those who think Steve's serves the best cheesesteak in Philly (and I'm hoping they can match the original at this new location).

phlmaestro.......OK, the Meatball and sharp Provolone for breakfast it is, I see a lot of people on this site that try DeNic's for the Roast Pork and don't really see it as the best. I wonder if DeNic's isn't a great Pork Sandwich, Who's is ????????? I just may eat at the Italian Market and the RT, but now you brought up Steves Prince of steaks and threw a curve ball in the mix........Thx for the help..........Meatball and sharp Provolone for breakfast, my kind of way to start the day....................Bill................P.S. The Pizza stand, is it Pizza by the slice ?????  I may have to get a later train out of Philly to fit some of this in.
    pnwchef
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/16 11:30:46 (permalink)
    Does anyone know if Washington DC closes up shop on most of the tourist spots on Sundays ??????????????? we are traveling in June........thx
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/16 13:43:02 (permalink)
    pnwchef, All Smithsonian Museums will be open, except maybe the Postal Museum, it closes if it rains  
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/16 16:07:11 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    phlmaestro.......OK, the Meatball and sharp Provolone for breakfast it is, I see a lot of people on this site that try DeNic's for the Roast Pork and don't really see it as the best. I wonder if DeNic's isn't a great Pork Sandwich, Who's is ????????? I just may eat at the Italian Market and the RT, but now you brought up Steves Prince of steaks and threw a curve ball in the mix........Thx for the help..........Meatball and sharp Provolone for breakfast, my kind of way to start the day....................Bill................P.S. The Pizza stand, is it Pizza by the slice ?????  I may have to get a later train out of Philly to fit some of this in.

I think if there is anything approaching a consensus for best Italian roast pork sandwich, it is probably for John's Roast Pork, which you'd have to take a cab to unless you want to look into bus schedules (it's in South Philly, but not near the Italian Market). Tony Lukes, another cab place in South Philly, is also very popular for roast pork.
    By George does sell pizza by the slice, but I would characterize it as maybe average or a little above average. I actually prefer the pizza at another stand in the Reading Terminal called Mezze. If you're going to the Italian Market, you may want to just wait and get a slice at Lorenzo's.

Another note, if you want to try an Italian hoagie, another of Philly's signature sandwiches, a great place to get one is Sarcone's deli at 9th and Fitzwater, which is sort of the northern starting point of the Italian Market. Sarcone's bakery is a couple doors down from the deli. They provide the rolls for a lot of the top steak and hoagie places in town and also sell slices of Sicilian style pizza.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2013/03/16 16:22:30
    pnwchef
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/16 16:37:25 (permalink)
    phlmaestro.....Going back a few months ago, Joe Rogo sent me the video on John's Roast Pork hoagie. I'm not saying the hoagie isn't good, or maybe even the best, I'm wondering where the "Roast" part comes into it. It shows John putting on Raw pork on the grill and cooking with onions and Sharp Provolone, I wonder if "Roast" is just a term used but its not really Roast Pork. I think trying John's is a good idea, it looks good and I'm all for it...............Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it..................Bill
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/16 17:10:15 (permalink)
    That sounds like you're describing a cheesesteak, which is also on the menu at John's Roast Pork (and some people consider it the best cheesesteak in the city). Perhaps you confused the two. The roast pork would have been a cooked roasted pork, and it would have been served hot or warm on a roll with sharp provolone and either cooked broccoli raab or spinach. The word "hoagie" wouldn't have come into play at all there, although you can get a cheesesteak hoagie at a lot of places (a cheesesteak with lettuce and tomato). A hoagie is generally cold cuts, with the better ones having heavily spiced or aged Italian meats like prosciutto along with lettuce, tomato, onions and often peppers, as well as salt, pepper and oregano.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2013/03/16 17:13:26
    pnwchef
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/03/16 17:19:29 (permalink)
    phlmaestro, your right, it was a cheesesteak...........and his roast pork looks great.... it looks like a kick ass little place..........thx.....Bill
    wmceaton
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/04/05 18:48:34 (permalink)
    I have stayed a few times at the Loews Hotel at 1200 Market Street in downtown. Its about 300 yards from Reading Terminal and close enough to walk to Chinatown. A very modern & clean hotel that anyone would enjoy staying at.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/04/06 00:07:56 (permalink)
    It's hard to go wrong with the Reading Terminal Market. And, while I used to go to steves Northeast Philadelphia location, I don't know if the center city one lives up to it.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/04/06 07:53:25 (permalink)
    Don't know if you perused Hollyeats.com yet.  Good rundown of unpretentious places in Phila.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/04/06 09:17:14 (permalink)
    wmceaton
    I have stayed a few times at the Loews Hotel at 1200 Market Street in downtown. Its about 300 yards from Reading Terminal and close enough to walk to Chinatown. A very modern & clean hotel that anyone would enjoy staying at.

I have a friend who stays there often.  His description is the same as yours.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/04/09 10:02:04 (permalink)
    We stayed at the Marriott in City Center, the back of it is kitty-corner to the Reading Terminal. Had breakfast every morning at the the Dutch Pantry . It was a good location. A bit of a walk to historic district (especially with a stroller), but not bad.

Don't miss a mural tour, You can do these walking tours on your own, But, Philly is known for its mural art. Not only do you get to see the art, but the tours walk you all over the place, and you see many neighborhoods, walking past lots of independent, quirky, novel restaurants.

You can take official tours, or just get a map on go on your own. Each mural is numbered, and you can call a phone number for info for each mural.

post edited by Scorereader - 2013/04/09 14:42:19
    pnwchef
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/04/09 11:29:26 (permalink)
    RC51Mike: Holly does a great job reviewing the food stops in Philly, it will be a good guide for me to follow. I'm looking for everything Philly on this trip, so the more ideas I can get the better..............thx......Bill

pnwchef
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2013/04/09 11:39:08 (permalink)

Scorereader: We will be staying close to the Marriott, I like the idea of the RT being close. In order to fit in all the Philly food ideas, I may need to start with Lunch foods early, like for breakfast. We just got back from a trip and had Fish & Chips at 6"30 AM one morning, so it isn't a big deal for me to have two lunches and a dinner.........thxs for the tip on the murals, that will be a fun way to walk the city. I'll have to check it out and see how close the walking tour can get me to the Italian Mkt. Joe Rogo told me to check it out, when Joe Rogo tells me to check something out, I do, I want peace in the family, if you get my drift..........take care...............Bill
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2014/02/05 20:23:18 (permalink)
    We're going Philly for the NHL draft at the end of June and are trying to get some ideas. Obviously we're going to do cheesesteak, but I have a couple of questions.

We're staying near the arena district but plan to make it into downtown twice.

1) Which is better for food, Reading Terminal or the Italian Market? I realize that's a subjective question but I was still curious what you locals think.
    2) Where in that area is the best place to get scrapple?

Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2014/02/05 20:46:41 (permalink)
    You can't go wrong with either
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1689
    Re:Philadelphia Restaurants & Hotel 2014/02/05 22:08:07 (permalink)
    Yes both are good, depending on what you want..........and for a breakfast "treat" try the Melrose Diner. I think they have scrapple, but it's the ambience more than the food (you'll need to cab it).

And John's Roast Pork will put any cheesesteak ..well, not to shame....but blushing a little.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1