The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball

scovig

• Total Posts: 22
Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Tue, 04/12/11 12:56 PM (permalink)
Two friends and I made the three and a half hour drive to Philadelphia last week to catch a Mats/Phillies matinee and enjoy some of the food that the city is known for. We left CT early with the plan to hit 3 of the better known sandwich havens in less than 36 hours while squeezing in a ball game. With first pitch being at 3pm we arrived in town early enough to hit John's Roast Pork. I've been to Philly a handful of times but this was my first trip to John's. A winner of a James Beard Award as well as best cheesesteak and best roast pork sandwich in years past. I ordered a small roast pork with sharp provolone but passed on he spinach (John's does not offer broccoli rabe) and a cheesesteak with american cheese (not a fan of wiz) and onions. The roast pork was amazing. Garlicky and moist on an excellent seeded roll. The sharp provolone was barely noticeable under all that juicy pork but still a great sandwich. The cheesesteak was also top notch. They hack the meat on the grill as many places in Philly do and the cheese and onion were evenly integrated throughout the sandwich because of this. My friends ordered their roast pork with the spinach and sharp provolone and their steak with onions and wiz. They enjoyed both.  The ballgame was next as I suffered through my Mets getting their heads handed to them 11-0. Enough said on that.
 After a brief nap to recover from the days festivities it was on to Tony Luke's. I ordered a steak with sharp provolone and onion and mushroom while my friends ordered a roast pork italian with sharp provolone and spinach (Tony's was out of broccoli rabe) and a steak with onions and wiz. The thing I have always liked about Tony Luke's was their bread. An excellent crusty italian sub roll that's still pillowy soft on the inside. My friends agreed. The steak is left whole as opposed to chopped on the grill and is of high quality. After a few adult beverages we headed over to the Center City Pretzel Company. They open at midnight on Thursdays and we got there just after they opened. Not much better than a fresh hot pretzel just out of the oven and these were as good as it gets.
 The next day before the drive back to CT we drove over to the Reading Terminal Market to visit DiNic's. They are famous for their roast pork sandwich and it did not disappoint. We all ordered sandwiches with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe and it was as advertised. We all agreed that the pork was not quite as juicy or flavorful as the sandwich at John's but it was still a very good sandwich. Before leaving the market we stopped at Bassett's Ice Cream. They have been around since 1861 and it's easy to see why. While not the best ice cream I've eaten it was exceptionally smooth and creamy.
 The drive home was next and we were anxious to hit the road but before we did my friend wanted to hit Tony Luke's one more time to get a couple of cheesesteaks to take home with him. He hadn't stopped raving about the sandwiches there since our visit the night before. To recap;
John's Roast Pork - great roast pork sandwich on excellent bread and one of the best cheesesteaks in Philly.
Tony Luke's - still my go to joint for cheesesteaks and a very good roast pork sandwich. I'm still thinking about how good that bread is.
DiNic's - A notch below John's in my book but still a formidable sandwich worth trying.
Center City Pretzel Company - get there and enjoy Philly's finest pretzel.
Bassett's Ice Cream - not my favorite ice cream of all time but if you're in the Reading Terminal Market have a scoop or two. 
<message edited by scovig on Tue, 04/12/11 2:46 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
    Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Tue, 04/12/11 1:17 PM (permalink)
    Terrific report. Thanks.

But about your Mets -- maybe if they'd lose the imitation Giants logo they'd do better.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2249
      Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Tue, 04/12/11 1:46 PM (permalink)
      Great report, looks like you had fun. The Mets isn't that the team the major league teams use for batting practice.............pnwc

Michael Hoffman

Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Tue, 04/12/11 1:55 PM (permalink)
        The Dodgers used the Giants for batting practice last night.

scovig

Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Wed, 04/13/11 12:45 PM (permalink)
          Michael, I think better players and competent ownership would also help.
          Michael Hoffman

Terrific report. Thanks.

But about your Mets -- maybe if they'd lose the imitation Giants logo they'd do better.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Wed, 04/13/11 1:06 PM (permalink)
            You might just have something there. Bring back Marv Throneberry.
            <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Wed, 04/13/11 1:10 PM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
              Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Wed, 04/13/11 1:23 PM (permalink)
              scovig, Great report!  Classic Philly.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Wed, 04/13/11 2:31 PM (permalink)
                great report. I feel helped, as I'm planning to go to Philly this summer.

I haven't been to a Phillies games since I was a kid - whihc was the old stadium. Usually against the Mets. I wasn't a fan of either, but we were visiting family friends who lived in the philly 'burbs. Maybe I'll go up there when the Nats are visiting. How was the baseball experience, other than the shellacking the Mets took?

buffetbuster

Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Wed, 04/13/11 2:52 PM (permalink)
                  scovig-
                  Thank for the fine report!  It sounds like you guys had a really good, other than the drubbing the Phillies handed to the Mets.  John's Roast Pork has been near the town of my hit list for a while, but it is tough since they are only open on weekdays.  And now I will spend the rest of the day dreaming about a Tony Luke's roast pork Italian with broccoli rabe. 

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                    Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Wed, 04/13/11 3:17 PM (permalink)
                    scovig ,
                    Great  trip report buddy , thanks for sharing

Benzee

Michael Hoffman

Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Wed, 04/13/11 5:08 PM (permalink)
                      All I know is The Mayor's River Bats blasted the Columbus Clippers in Louisville, and that was the wrong thing for them to do. Now Al is barred from particiation in the Clipper's Buck-a-Bone night at Huntington Park in Columbus -- and from all Dime-a-Dog nights, too.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
                        Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Thu, 04/14/11 12:14 PM (permalink)
                        Glad you had a nice time in one of the very best food towns ever, experiencing a beautiful stadium, and so sorry your Mutts were tromped by the very best team in baseball. Honestly, you never had a chance with Doc on the mound.

Please visit again soon.

scovig

Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Thu, 04/14/11 12:32 PM (permalink)
                          Scorereader the baseball experience was great. Beautiful stadium with many excellent food choices including a Tony Luke's in the stadium. Be prepared for a thorough razzing though if you wear the garb of the opposing team.

Buffetbuster Tony Luke's has a great roast pork but John's really is a must. Aside from only being open weekdays, they also close at 3p.

Harriet my expectations were low going into that game so my disappointment was minimal. As big of a Met fan as I am the game was really just a guise to get to Philly for some great eats. I will return.

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
                            Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Thu, 04/14/11 12:46 PM (permalink)
                            Scovig,

Nice report; thanks for the details and some good ideas for whenever I can get to Philadelphia for the food.  If you had higher expectations for food than for baseball, that's a good set of priorities!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7608
                              Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Thu, 04/14/11 1:06 PM (permalink)
                              Harriet and Buffalo Tarheel, great to see you back..

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
                                Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Thu, 04/14/11 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                mar52

Harriet and Buffalo Tarheel, great to see you back..

Thanks very much for the kind words.  Not to go off-target from this excellent trip report, but I have been negligent in writing reports and need to step it up a bit.  How many times have I been to Joey's BBQ and written nothing?  Too many...

Lost Nation

• Total Posts: 105
                                  Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Sun, 04/17/11 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                  I'm an old Philly boy, every time I go hone I have to stop at LaSpadas for hoagies and cheese steaks. Nick's for Italian Beef and the Last Stand for chili dogs. These are all near my hometown (Swarthmore). I'm getting hungry thinking about them.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                    Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Sun, 04/17/11 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                    Sorry about the loss. Citizens bank pary was where i had my first water ice. Hope i will get back east in the next few years to see the ballparks in washington and NYC.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                      Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Sun, 04/17/11 11:38 PM (permalink)
                                      Thanks very much for the report. I'm confused about one thing. Why would a pretzel place not open until midnight?

scovig

Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Mon, 04/18/11 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                        They open at midnight because their business is wholesale first, retail second. They supply many of the area vendors.
                                        ces1948

Thanks very much for the report. I'm confused about one thing. Why would a pretzel place not open until midnight?

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                          Re:Philadelphia for cheesesteaks, roast pork and baseball Wed, 04/20/11 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                          Mmmmm, roast pork and baseball, sounds heavenly.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com