Phillip's Original Coney island

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
2013/01/11 16:58:03 (permalink)

Phillip's Original Coney island

For some reason Phillip's Original Coney Island hasn't been written up on Roadfood. At least, I can't ever recall seeing anything about it. And that's a shame, because the same family has  been running Phillip's for 101 years, with the remaining one (at one time there were four) being located right near the center of downtown Columbus on West Broad Street.

Going to lunch at Phillips means you might run into the mayor of Columbus, the governor of Ohio, the police chief, a county commissioner or two, the county sheriff or your next door neighbor.

When lleechef and I dropped in for lunch today there  were a few Columbus police higher-ups, but no mayor or governor -- that we noticed. What drew us in was the bean soup, which is one of the best I've ever tasted. Hot and smoky with pieces of ham, this is a mighty fine offering, and one of lleechef's favorites.

While the menu lists a lot of choices, the main draw, other than the bean soup (their chili is highly thought of, too, but as it contains beans it's not something I order) is the Phillip's coney dog that comes with mustard, chopped raw onions, coney sauce and shredded (mild) cheddar. The hotdog is fairly small, although it is bigger than the coneys served up by such places as Skyline Chili.

For lunch today we each had a bowl of the bean soup, and I had two coneys with everything while lleechef had one coney -- hold the onions. She had the unsweetened ice tea and I had the sweetened version. Was it enough to eat? Well, it's a couple of hours later and I'm thinking I might not want much of anything for dinner tonight.

lleechef and I both highly recommend Phillip's Original Coney Island to anyone looking for lunch in Columbus.

http://www.phillipsconeyisland.com/pages/about.html

6 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Phillip's Original Coney island 2013/01/11 17:02:30 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

For some reason Phillip's Original Coney Island hasn't been written up on Roadfood. At least, I can't ever recall seeing anything about it. And that's a shame, because the same family has  been running Phillip's for 101 years, with the remaining one (at one time there were four) being located right near the center of downtown Columbus on West Broad Street.

Going to lunch at Phillips means you might run into the mayor of Columbus, the governor of Ohio, the police chief, a county commissioner or two, the county sheriff or your next door neighbor.

When lleechef and I dropped in for lunch today there  were a few Columbus police higher-ups, but no mayor or governor -- that we noticed. What drew us in was the bean soup, which is one of the best I've ever tasted. Hot and smoky with pieces of ham, this is a mighty fine offering, and one of lleechef's favorites.

While the menu lists a lot of choices, the main draw, other than the bean soup (their chili is highly thought of, too, but as it contains beans it's not something I order) is the Phillip's coney dog that comes with mustard, chopped raw onions, coney sauce and shredded (mild) cheddar. The hotdog is fairly small, although it is bigger than the coneys served up by such places as Skyline Chili.

For lunch today we each had a bowl of the bean soup, and I had two coneys with everything while lleechef had one coney -- hold the onions. She had the unsweetened ice tea and I had the sweetened version. Was it enough to eat? Well, it's a couple of hours later and I'm thinking I might not want much of anything for dinner tonight.

lleechef and I both highly recommend Phillip's Original Coney Island to anyone looking for lunch in Columbus.

http://www.phillipsconeyisland.com/pages/about.html

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to grab the camera and write a review!
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:Phillip's Original Coney island 2013/01/11 17:13:20 (permalink)
    I think that was a shot!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Phillip's Original Coney island 2013/01/11 17:15:53 (permalink)
    I've been trying for years and I still can't figure out how to get film into my digital camera. And that's sort of crazy, you know, because all my digits work, even though I am sort of clumsy. Still, you'd think I ought to be able to load a darned Nikon.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Phillip's Original Coney island 2013/01/11 17:32:39 (permalink)
    Love it, MH!! Give me your number and I'll call you from my rotary cell phone and give you step-by-step instructions on how to load the film.  Technology eludes me and most of the time I can be found sadly eating a frozen yogurt by myself at the TCBY at a forlorn rest stop on the information superhighway!  
    post edited by billyboy - 2013/01/11 17:35:40
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Phillip's Original Coney island 2013/01/11 17:46:10 (permalink)

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10218
    Re:Phillip's Original Coney island 2013/01/12 04:02:05 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Don'tcha know? You gotta use Polaroid film in a digital camera!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1