LockedPhilly Cheesesteak

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Author
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/06/28 06:11:56 (permalink)
CheeseWit, a while back you told me about a shop which had been opened by the former long time grill man from D'allesandro's. I cannot find that post. Could you repeat the details for us.

Thanks,  Doug
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/06/28 20:39:13 (permalink)
douginvirginia

CheeseWit, a while back you told me about a shop which had been opened by the former long time grill man from D'allesandro's. I cannot find that post. Could you repeat the details for us.

Thanks,  Doug

Sure Doug. Here's the story: Barry McGuinn worked side by side with William Dalessandro from 1967 to 1988. He learned and did everything in the shop. When William got sick in the late 1980's, his son and daughter took over the business. So Barry opened his own shop, creatively named Barry's Steaks, in 1989. He moved the location in '95 to its present address: 471 Leverington Ave. in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia not far from Dalessandro's.

Dalessandro's was sold out of the family in 2008 and has not been the same. Barry's is as good (or better in my book) as the "old" Dalessandro's.
post edited by CheeseWit - 2010/06/29 09:36:30
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/06/29 10:52:16 (permalink)
Scott,
  You will ALWAYS BE the "Google of Info" on Philly Food.  Keep those files dusted off, you never know when the Mayor and his Bride may show up!!!
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/06/30 06:29:29 (permalink)
CheeseWit,

Thanks for your post.

The "old" Dalessandro's (got the spelling right this time) was as good as I've ever had. I look forward to trying Barry's next time I'm up your way.

CheeseWit
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/06/30 07:08:11 (permalink)
mayor al

Scott,
  You will ALWAYS BE the "Google of Info" on Philly Food.  Keep those files dusted off, you never know when the Mayor and his Bride may show up!!!

Al, I'm always ready for you and Janet to come to the area. In fact, I hope you do!
CheeseWit
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/06/30 07:10:16 (permalink)
douginvirginia

CheeseWit,

Thanks for your post.

The "old" Dalessandro's (got the spelling right this time) was as good as I've ever had. I look forward to trying Barry's next time I'm up your way.

You're welcome Doug. Let me know if you come up to the Phila. area and I'll meet you.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/07/01 18:11:44 (permalink)
This is for all my ketchup-loving friends. This cheesesteak (which was just OK) was eaten at the Metro (formerly Ponzio's Brooklawn) Diner in Brooklawn, NJ.

Remember, one man's "yuck" is another man's "mmmmm!"
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3756
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/07/01 18:28:00 (permalink)
Harriet,  I was sitting at the bar  at the  Crowne Paza in Camden  NJ   a week ago.  I ordrerd a  cheesesteak   and  when it came,  the  man next to me said  how good it  looked.  I then asked him  if  he  or his buddy  ever  put  ket chup  on  a cheesesteak  and  they  looked at me  like I was from Mars.

"Of course, we do.............you always  put  ketchup  on  a cheesesteak"           HAHAHAHA                                                                                         
harriet1954
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/07/01 18:36:09 (permalink)
Greymo

Harriet,  I was sitting at the bar  at the  Crowne Paza in Camden  NJ   a week ago.  I ordrerd a  cheesesteak   and  when it came,  the  man next to me said  how good it  looked.  I then asked him  if  he  or his buddy  ever  put  ket chup  on  a cheesesteak  and  they  looked at me  like I was from Mars.

"Of course, we do.............you always  put  ketchup  on  a cheesesteak"           HAHAHAHA                                                                                         

Oh, good Lord, you were less than a half hour from me! You were actually in Cherry Hill (I don't know of ANY hotels in Camden LOL!), and I've been in that hotel when it was - jeez I forget what it was called before, it had so many names - I attended and did registry for some big fundraising events there in a former life (I didn't work there).
 I think it was the Cherry Hill Hilton at the time.

Where else did you eat? Did you do a trip report? Was the cheesesteak any good?

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3756
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/07/01 19:57:53 (permalink)
I stand corrected.  It was in Cherry Hill.....................I would never want to stay there again.  The rooms were nearly  200.00 with the tax and  not  properly cleaned..................dusty   furniture  and  even saw someone's  underwear left behind in the closet.   The public areas were very nice  and my cheesesteak was great  (even without the ketchup).  I guess I am a small town gal  as when I saw what they charged me for my  martini's  <  I nearly passed out!
post edited by Greymo - 2010/07/01 19:59:05
harriet1954
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/07/01 20:33:02 (permalink)
Greymo

I stand corrected.  It was in Cherry Hill.....................I would never want to stay there again.  The rooms were nearly  200.00 with the tax and  not  properly cleaned..................dusty   furniture  and  even saw someone's  underwear left behind in the closet.   The public areas were very nice  and my cheesesteak was great  (even without the ketchup).  I guess I am a small town gal  as when I saw what they charged me for my  martini's  <  I nearly passed out!

I can only imagine, and I don't blame you. If I had a third bedroom you could've stayed here for free!

Conlon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/04 09:31:12 (permalink)
I'm going to Philadelphia this weekend for my first visit.  Where would be the best place to have a cheesesteak?
harriet1954
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/04 12:05:56 (permalink)
Could you let me know what area of Philly you'll be in, or what streets you'll be near, if you know? Thanks.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/04 12:21:35 (permalink)
Paging wandering jew!!
Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 271
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/04 13:36:50 (permalink)
Jim2903

wanderingjew

I would shudder even more if someone put ....CHEESE.....on an Italian Beef. 

Cheese on Italian beef is quite common in Chicago. For example: http://www.zippysrestaurants.com/

Just had a Zippy's on Sunday, in fact. Usually I prefer just hot giardiniera, but now and then a cheezy beef is real nice.
I haven't had Zippy's in some time. They closed the one nearest to me. I think that was Deerfield. Next time I'm out by Woodfield I'm stopping in.

Conlon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/04 14:45:35 (permalink)
harriet1954

Could you let me know what area of Philly you'll be in, or what streets you'll be near, if you know? Thanks.

I'm actually staying in the burbs - but will be going to visit the touristy things in downtown Philly.
TrentonDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 736
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/08 13:20:39 (permalink)
Hey guys, what kind of person would put processed swiss cheese slices on a cheesesteak? Is this not punishable by death?

BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 08:45:47 (permalink)

This is for the people that think outside the box, know what their customers like and know there are many ways of offering a Philly in other parts of the country. This is a Philly made with processed swiss, it melts nice, as you see, and goes great with the crispy Amoroso roll, tender meat and sauteed onions. I made another one yesterday with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and that also melted nice. I have this sandwich (Philly) going on my menu in a few weeks. I plan a grilled menu with a Grilled Pastrami and swiss melt, Grilled turkey Club, and a Hot and Crispy Ham and cheddar melt. I know in many cases this sandwich would be better with provolone cheese, I would put Provolone cheese on just about any thing, and love it. The problem I have is keeping my cost down, sell the sandwich at $5 with a 35% food cost...This is the sandwich we will be serving at that cost ............I have a cheese melter/top broiler on my front line, I have learned, any thing I sell with the word "Melt" always sells, who the heck doesn't like cheese dripping down their chin while eating a great sandwich............................Bill
post edited by BillyB - 2010/08/13 08:51:33
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4653
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 09:21:25 (permalink)
Provolone doesn't seem to be a popular cheese here on the West Coast.
I wonder what a Blue Cheese CheeseSteak would taste like?

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 10:20:37 (permalink)
bill voss

Provolone doesn't seem to be a popular cheese here on the West Coast.
I wonder what a Blue Cheese CheeseSteak would taste like?

It takes the Great minds of Oregon again to think out side the box..........I'm going to try one Bill, I'll take a picture and get back in the near future................I was also thinking about a jalapeno jack cheese.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 10:25:10 (permalink)
Pepper jack does sound wonderful. :)
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 10:30:01 (permalink)
Tastytoo

Jim2903

wanderingjew

Cheese on Italian beef is quite common in Chicago. For example: http://www.zippysrestaurants.com/

Just had a Zippy's on Sunday, in fact. Usually I prefer just hot giardiniera, but now and then a cheezy beef is real nice.
I haven't had Zippy's in some time. They closed the one nearest to me. I think that was Deerfield. Next time I'm out by Woodfield I'm stopping in.

The one in Deerfield is right across the street from where I work. It changed to something called TeddyFabz a couple years ago. You can still get a cheezy beef there, but the rest of the menu changed and it ain't the same. But there's still one in Hoffman Estates, on Roselle Road in front of Valli's market just south of Higgins, and one on Barrington Road in front of the Home Depot at Schaumburg Road.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 12:32:58 (permalink)
Billy, Your 'Swiss' Cheese-steak looks great. I don't think I will ever forget the faux-pah Senator Kerry made when he asked for Swiss on his sandwich during a stop in So Philly. Personally I think I would like the Swiss on the sandwich.
Nice job on the photo transfer, looks like you've mastered the skill.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 18:19:15 (permalink)
Thanks Al, I plan on doing a few other variations of the Philly Cheesesteak....by calling it a Philly Cheesesteak it gives people an idea of what it is, most people have heard of them. I used to have a Beefeater on the menu, I may bring it back, it was a mushroom lovers kind of hoagie. We sautee mushroom, Ribeye and melted cheese....For now the Menu will feature the Philly Cheesesteaks choice of cheese, no wiz.............Thanks for the help Al.........................BillyB
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 18:27:28 (permalink)
to each his own but the only time I use ketchup is if the french frys are terrible but I've seen people put ketchup on well done filet mignon. The only things I want on my cheesesteak are onions salt and pepper.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6430
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 19:38:59 (permalink)
You all take your Philly Cheesesteaks seriously when you put this on them?

CHEEZ WHIZ - CHEESE DIP - ORIGINAL

Ingredients: WHEY, CANOLA OIL, MILK, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MALTODEXTRIN , SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM ALGINATE, MUSTARD FLOUR, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE (VINEGAR, MOLASSES, CORN SYRUP, WATER, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, GARLIC POWDER, SUGAR, SPICES, TAMARIND, NATURAL FLAVOR), SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, MILKFAT, CHEESE CULTURE, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), NATURAL FLAVOR, ENZYMES.

Makes me seriously question what the buns and meat truly are as well.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 19:56:19 (permalink)
TD, I'm not sure I could even find provolone in a store here.
World class blue cheese and cheddar lies right the down the street however. 

TrentonDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 736
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 20:12:52 (permalink)
Davydd

You all take your Philly Cheesesteaks seriously when you put this on them?

CHEEZ WHIZ - CHEESE DIP - ORIGINAL
Ingredients: WHEY, CANOLA OIL, MILK, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MALTODEXTRIN , SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM ALGINATE, MUSTARD FLOUR, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE (VINEGAR, MOLASSES, CORN SYRUP, WATER, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, GARLIC POWDER, SUGAR, SPICES, TAMARIND, NATURAL FLAVOR), SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, MILKFAT, CHEESE CULTURE, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), NATURAL FLAVOR, ENZYMES.

Makes me seriously question what the buns and meat truly are as well.

In case you haven't noticed, we're on a website called "roadfood.com" not "healthfood.com" or "allnaturaleats.com".

We talk about our love for fried clams, french fries, hot dogs, pork ribs, chicken wings and other food items that are bad for you. Their ingredients lists probably look just as unsavory. What does the ingredient list for the "pasteurized process Swiss cheese product slices" that BillyB uses look like?

bill voss

No Provolone where you live? I'd move! A good smoked provolone cheese is heavenly. I haven't tried to melt bleu cheese, it might be good on some things. (except a Philly Cheesesteak) But I do know that a good natural cheddar doesn't melt as good as "fake cheese" like the American Cheese slices, and even the Swiss slices that Billy uses.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4567
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/13 20:32:49 (permalink)
bill voss

If you had good provolone, you could smell it from down the street.  As opposed to the deli sliced stuff.

I just returned from Philly and enjoyed a roast pork hoagie with sharp, imported provolone.  Heaven!

Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 271
Re:Philly Cheesesteak 2010/08/14 03:38:45 (permalink)
Jim2903

Tastytoo

Jim2903

wanderingjew

The one in Deerfield is right across the street from where I work. It changed to something called TeddyFabz a couple years ago. You can still get a cheezy beef there, but the rest of the menu changed and it ain't the same. But there's still one in Hoffman Estates, on Roselle Road in front of Valli's market just south of Higgins, and one on Barrington Road in front of the Home Depot at Schaumburg Road.
We will be in Deerfield soon so we might try TeddyFabz. Probably won't get to Zippy's until it is closer to the holidays when we hit Woodfield. Thanks.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1