Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Philly Cheesesteak

Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 5 of 9, messages 121 to 150 of 258
1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
Re:Philly Cheesesteak Sat, 08/14/10 7:15 AM (permalink)
I don't know anything about this chain, but it looks like they already stole my idea! :)
 Menu | Charley's Grilled Subs

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
    Re:Philly Cheesesteak Sat, 08/14/10 7:25 AM (permalink)
    bill voss

I don't know anything about this chain, but it looks like they already stole my idea! :)

Crap!  There goes your millions.

I guess you better just stick to this.....

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
      Re:Philly Cheesesteak Sat, 08/14/10 7:35 AM (permalink)
      bill voss

GGGEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ Bill, in less than 24 hrs you have the" Philly Cheesesteak Bleu"  Idea and some one builds a Franchise. I need to get some Bleu cheese and see how it melts..........BillyB

TrentonDog

• Total Posts: 736
        Re:Philly Cheesesteak Sat, 08/14/10 8:09 AM (permalink)
        bill voss

I never heard of them, but at least they took the word "Philly" out of their Swiss cheese abomination!

I wonder if I can build a franchise on a Limburger steak...............

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Sat, 08/14/10 9:12 AM (permalink)
          Maybe not in NJ, but you might stand a chance in Minnesota with Limburger and beef.

Regional variations in these sandwiches, like BBQ, Chili, Burgers and many other foods are common. While fierce loyalties are evident, it is obvious to an outsider that there are sometimes many "Good" variations available.
          <message edited by mayor al on Sat, 08/14/10 9:16 AM>

1bbqboy

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Sat, 08/14/10 9:29 AM (permalink)
            Avocado and Cojita with Cilantro!

TrentonDog

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Sat, 08/14/10 9:39 AM (permalink)
              mayor al

Maybe not in NJ, but you might stand a chance in Minnesota with Limburger and beef.

Regional variations in these sandwiches, like BBQ, Chili, Burgers and many other foods are common. While fierce loyalties are evident, it is obvious to an outsider that there are sometimes many "Good" variations available.

Regional dishes get the name of the region. That's what my point is.

A cheese steak can no longer be called a "Philly" cheese steak if it has Bleu, Swiss, pepper jack or anything other than Cheeze Whiz, Amercan, or Provolone. Some people will reject a cheese steak as authentic if it isn't made from thinly cut ribeye steak. Steak-umms or steak-eze won't cut t for some folks. Some say it must be on a roll from a certain bakery too. Too many variations (even if they taste good), muddy the waters and dilute the "brand". Just look at the link I posted to Pat's where John Kerry was totally ridiculed for ordering his "cheese steak hoagie" with Swiss cheese. Others made fun of him for taking "dainty bites" from the sandwich, and not doing the "Philly Lean".

I've seen people get into debates on whether a NJ Italian hot dog is authentic if it isn't served on pizza bread. Could I call a pork/beef hot dog topped with sauerkraut and mustard a "Chicago" hot dog?

TrentonDog

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Sat, 08/14/10 9:42 AM (permalink)
                bill voss

Avocado and Cojita with Cilantro!

Hahaha, it seems now we're straying from regional preferences to lifestyle preferences.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                  Re:Philly Cheesesteak Sat, 08/14/10 11:13 AM (permalink)
                  bill voss

There are only about 400 stores of this chain in 44 states, but they do reach from coast-to-coast.  Most seem to be in the Food Courts of malls. They claim to be the world's largest Philly Cheesesteak Chain. In the malls they are in, they give patrons the chance to get a decent Cheesesteak if they are not in the mood for burgers, fried chicken, etc.

1bbqboy

Re:Philly Cheesesteak Sat, 08/14/10 5:46 PM (permalink)
                    David, I live in the middle of nowhere for a reason. :)

Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
                      Re:Philly Cheesesteak Thu, 08/26/10 11:02 AM (permalink)

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                        Re:Philly Cheesesteak Thu, 08/26/10 2:15 PM (permalink)
                        Believe it or not---We have genuine East Coast Cheesesteaks out here in AZ! Capriotti's opened in Wilmington DE in 1976. They now are franchised in 12 states and make a very good sandwich. If you have one near you, it's worth checking out.
                        http://www.capriottis.com/

Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
                          Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Thu, 08/26/10 3:27 PM (permalink)
                          TrentonDog

Could I call a pork/beef hot dog topped with sauerkraut and mustard a "Chicago" hot dog?

Never. All beef, run through the garden, no ketchup.

TrentonDog

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Thu, 08/26/10 7:15 PM (permalink)
                            Jim2903

TrentonDog

Could I call a pork/beef hot dog topped with sauerkraut and mustard a "Chicago" hot dog?

Never. All beef, run through the garden, no ketchup.

Bingo!

While it's OK to put whatever you want on your hot dog, cheesesteak or pizza - if you want to call it a "chicago" or a "philly" or a "NY" or whatever - you need to stay true to the formula. Swiss on a "Philly" - ROFLMAO!

Swiss on a cheesesteak should be called a "Kerry special", and it needs to have ketchup on it because he married Teresa Heinz, the ketchup heiress.

1bbqboy

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Thu, 08/26/10 8:03 PM (permalink)
                              no one cares about Philadelphia. That's why it's Philadelphia.
                              So if we call it a cheesesteak your small world would be in sync?

joerogo

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Thu, 08/26/10 8:33 PM (permalink)
                                bill voss

Wha Wha What?  HEY, Go back to RogValley!

TrentonDog

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Thu, 08/26/10 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                  bill voss

So if we call it a cheesesteak your small world would be in sync?

Whoa, there nellie. No need to get hostile.

What I am advocating here is just a little "food purity". How many regional variations of pizza are there? From "Trenton Tomato Pies", to "Chicago Deep Dish", to "New York Style", "Neopolitan", "Sicilian", etc.

If you call a steak sandwich a "Philly", it needs to be made with fresh thinly sliced ribeye (no frozen steak-umms or steak-eze), and your choice of three cheeses. Cheez Whiz, American or Provolone. (Cheese Whiz being the favorite among the locals, but I like Provolone - which is still within "Philly" specs)

Put processed Swiss slices, bleu cheese, or whatever on it and it ceases to be a "Philly".

So yes, call your creation a "Swiss Steak", "Bleu Steak" or "Cotija/Avocado steak" or whatever, just don't call it a "Philly" because you muddy the waters when you do so.

I've had "New York" style pizza and "Chicago deep dish" pizza that looked and tasted like "pizza" I had a Chuck-E-Cheeses. What a disgrace!

In this area, when you order a "large pie" they ask "pizza pie, or tomato pie". Just a regional thing I suppose, and I don't give a rat's ass if you care about Trenton less than you care about Philadelphia, Chicago, or New York.

:)

1bbqboy

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Thu, 08/26/10 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                    joerogo

bill voss

Wha Wha What?  HEY, Go back to RogValley!

Hey we have beef here. we have cheese here, we have wheat here. You've sent me on a quest.

What do cows have to do with philly, by the way? Or is it the water, like Newyawk Pizza?
                                    <message edited by bill voss on Thu, 08/26/10 10:39 PM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6228
                                      Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Thu, 08/26/10 10:27 PM (permalink)
                                      Again, Cheez Whiz is not a real cheese. It is a processed concoction created in 1952 long after so called Philly Cheesesteaks came into being. So that throws "food purity" and "authentic" out the window. I don't think I would be so pompous about a sandwich that touts Cheez Whiz. Personally I would rather have a sandwich with better cheese even if it were Swiss than Cheez Whiz or American. 

I thought Provolone was pretty much everywhere since it is one of the pizza staples. Kraft and Sargento package it. Target, Walmart and Costco sell it.  In Minnesota most groceries sell not only the mass package cheeses like Kraft and Sargento, but also sport large selections and varieties of premium cheeses.

1bbqboy

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Thu, 08/26/10 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                        we've banned Italians and Pennsylvanians in Oregon. Worst is being an 
                                        Italian Pennsylvanian. May the Lord have Mercy.

<message edited by bill voss on Thu, 08/26/10 10:37 PM>

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                          Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 12:25 AM (permalink)
                                          I agree with you TrentonDog that freshly sliced ribeye should be used..
                                          NOT steak - umms, or steak-eze ....

If they are using that processed stuff, they are welcome to call it a cheesesteak, but it's NOT a GOOD one, IMO....

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                                            Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 1:54 AM (permalink)
                                            My Philly area faves come from:
                                            Johns Pork, DiNics, or Donkeys.................

Nuff said!

joerogo

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 7:33 AM (permalink)
                                              bill voss

we've banned Italians and Pennsylvanians in Oregon. Worst is being an 
                                              Italian Pennsylvanian. May the Lord have Mercy.

Don't make me go over your head to Mr Chips!

Davydd

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 9:39 AM (permalink)
                                                The last "cheesesteak" I had was thinly sliced Caribou topped with Wild Rice Gouda Cheese and served on a Wild Rice Baguette. You can't get that in Philly.

buffetbuster

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                                  bill voss

we've banned Italians and Pennsylvanians in Oregon. 
                                                  Awwwwww.....

1bbqboy

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                                    We'd let you in, BB

joerogo

Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 11:58 AM (permalink)
                                                      The Pennsylvania Italian American Association wanted me to pass along this message concerning Bill Voss...

joerogo

• Location: Pittston, PA
                                                        Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                                        Mr Voss ain't that bad.  Ya just gotta know how to take him

I was only announcing his ban from the entire state of Pennsylvania.  Although I hear there is a similar ban in the State of Alaska

TrentonDog

• Location: Trenton Area, NJ
                                                          Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                                          Davydd

Again, Cheez Whiz is not a real cheese. It is a processed concoction created in 1952 long after so called Philly Cheesesteaks came into being. So that throws "food purity" and "authentic" out the window. I don't think I would be so pompous about a sandwich that touts Cheez Whiz. Personally I would rather have a sandwich with better cheese even if it were Swiss than Cheez Whiz or American.   

I never argued that Cheez Whiz was "real" cheese. (better eating through science? lol) Are processed Swiss slices "real" cheese? (That's what BillyB used in his photo)
                                                          I also know that it was introduced in the 50's, long after the "Philly" was invented. What happened was that the Philly cheese steak has evolved, and like it or not, Cheez Whiz is the most popular cheese in Philadelphia - the sandwiches namesake. So yes, "food purity" and "authentic" DO apply. Maybe in 40 years, processed Swiss slices will be the topping of choice in Philadelphia - then, and only then can a "Kerry Special" be called a Philly. (NOT!)

Damm, I'm hungry now. Cheese steaks for dinner. Don't have Provolone, American, or Whiz but I think Chef-Mate sharp cheddar cheese sauce (made from 100% post consumer recycled material) may do the trick, have plenty of that stuff!.......................
                                                          <message edited by TrentonDog on Fri, 08/27/10 3:41 PM>

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                            Re:Philly Cheesesteak variations Fri, 08/27/10 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                                            So the Philly Cheesesteak may evolve some more with Swiss, Gouda and maybe some quality cheeses. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 5 of 9, messages 121 to 150 of 258

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com