Philly Cheesesteak

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/08/23 20:39:39 (permalink)
I just had a look at the "Best of Philly" edition of "Philadelphia" magazine. The, um, expected news is that Pat's and Geno's got "2" out of "5" along with some, um, not real good comments. If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I am, the best was Tony Luke's, down on Oregen Avenue. At least they were way up there. One of my favorite places, Big John's, in Cherry Hill got a "2" too, and some really nasty comments, so what do I know.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/08/24 08:17:53 (permalink)
Is Big John's a different place than John's Roast Pork?
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/08/25 01:39:37 (permalink)
Yes, Big John's is near Cherry Hill NJ and specializes in Cheesesteaks.
lobster4me
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/08/26 16:41:45 (permalink)
We just love Philly cheesesteaks. They are the best. We only get to have one each time we visit the east which is not too often. Other restaurants in the Ohio area try to copy a cheesesteak, but no one can make a cheesesteak as good as they are in the Philadelphia area. Yum, oh I am making myself hungery for cheesesteaks. I better go to another forum.
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/08/28 14:36:03 (permalink)
Peppertree, the original Philly Connection shop was opened in 1984 just over three miles from my own retail store. I have eaten there many times. Philly raised friends of mine say that what they sell isn't really a good Philly Cheesesteak, and that may be. I am particularly fond of The Works - which is all that I will order now. I have tried the various other examples over the years, and The Works is the only sandwich for me at Philly Connection. I also always order a large birch beer to go with it - partly because that is my only source for a birch beer.

My first Philly Cheesesteak was eaten in early 1984 - just before the original Philly Connection opened. I was in Philadelphia. My son was having surgery at Wills Eye Hospital in downtown Philly. After his surgery, my wife and I took turns staying with him in his room. He was only three at the time. She relieved me about 10pm, and I wanted a bite to eat before I headed back to the hotel. Our hotel was at 11th and Chestnut, as I remember. The only place, beyond fancy restaurants, that was open was a little hole in the wall cheesesteak shop on Walnut, I think, in the block east of Broad. I had heard of Philly cheesesteaks, I was hungry, and where better to try one than in Philadelphia. I went in and went to the counter, where the only employee was cashier, waiter, cook, etc. and ordered a cheesesteak. He muttered something unintelligible and I responded with "Huh? What?" and he repeated himself. Then I repeated myself. After the third unintelligible question from him (I definitely could hear a question mark at the end of whatever he was saying), a customer sitting nearby tells me "He wants to know if you want ketchup on it". I said, or nodded, yes and waited a short time for what turned out to be a fantastic sandwich. Eating dinner ten hours after I have eaten lunch always makes food taste better. Just the same, I realized that I had discovered some very good food. As soon as I got back to Georgia, I saw an ad about this new place near my store called Philly Connection. I tried it and, as they say, the rest is history.
cocacolakid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/04 05:40:19 (permalink)
What do people think is the best Philly Cheesesteak in the Chicago area? I haven't found any yet that are as good as the ones I used to make when I worked the grill in a little resteraunt at college.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/04 12:26:31 (permalink)
Why is it that 51% of the forum posts on Roadfood deal with cheesesteak?
pohay
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/04 13:16:04 (permalink)
Pat's is still the King of Steaks in my book, every time I'm in the area I stop by. I tried Geno's once year's back and stuck wit Pat's.
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/04 13:35:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Extreme Glow

Why is it that 51% of the forum posts on Roadfood deal with cheesesteak?

You are greatly exaggerating. It is no more than 49%

Cakes
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/04 14:25:08 (permalink)
I never calculated the percentage of posts. I'll take some credit (or blame) for the interest in cheesesteaks. I enjoy them more than any other roadfood food. I just hosted a cheesesteak tour in Philly and plan on doing another one this fall.
If you've never had an authentic cheesesteak in the Philadelphia area, then you wouldn't know why there are so many posts. Everyone has their favorite version of the sandwich and their own personal tale to tell about trying their first one.
I go by the name "cheesewit" here on the site as it is cheesesteak related.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/04 16:19:36 (permalink)
Cheesewit: Nobody that I know would have identified you as a Philly Cheese steak man :)

Every body on this site knows that you are the biggest promotor and you are the best.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
familydok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/04 17:09:14 (permalink)
My husband and I were in Atlantic City a few months ago and ate at White House sub shop as your book recommends. The steak & cheese were "out of this world"-in fact, my hubby is hooked on them and we try them everywhere we travel now-nothing is nearly as good though! That's about the only thing outstanding we found in AC.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/04 23:39:29 (permalink)
Aw.... C'mon.... How can 51% be cheesesteaks when when 58% is barbecue?
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/04 23:57:19 (permalink)
He muttered something unintelligible and I responded with "Huh? What?" and he repeated himself. Then I repeated myself. After the third unintelligible question from him (I definitely could hear a question mark at the end of whatever he was saying), a customer sitting nearby tells me "He wants to know if you want ketchup on it". I said, or nodded, yes and waited a short time for what turned out to be a fantastic sandwich.

Milt: Therein lies the essencence of roadfood. Whether in Thailand, or Hungary, or South Philly. If someone says, or waves, or gestures about your order, they generally want to know if you want the stuff that makes it better. Go with it!! Unless you have some local knowlege about bull testicles or something like that.

You must have heard already, in South Philly, it's. "Yeah. . . cheese wit'...!" They'll hear what you said and yhou'll get the house cheesesteak.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/05 06:35:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Cheesewit: Nobody that I know would have identified you as a Philly Cheese steak man :)

Every body on this site knows that you are the biggest promotor and you are the best.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul, I may be the biggest promoter, but I don't know about being the best. Always nice to hear from you Sundancer.
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/09/05 11:16:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JaneDough

CheeseWit's the expert, but IMHO, forget both Geno's AND Pat's and head for Jim's @ 4th & South. Even my NY friend loved Jim's! Better yet, join us for the Cheesesteak Tour on July 31 and give us another chance, tasting not only Pat's & Geno's (I kinda think we HAFTA do those, for comparison's sake), but 3 or 4 others that are delicious and lesser-known (if only because they weren't in the movies). Ya wanna CHEESEsteak?!?! WE'LL show ya some CHEESEsteaks!!!!

Jims is great. And Cheez Wiz is the only way to go. And my son, who was 7 at the time had a great great dialogue with the 6'8" 400 pound counter man. The entire place was cracking up.

After we had eaten, and gone out to do some shopping, my son had to go to the bathroom. So we go back into Jim's. Danny heads to the John. When he comes back, said counterman says to him- "I got your sandwiches ready- pointing to a huge pile of steak and onions on the grill. How you gonna pay for it? Danny looked at him, got it, and said "I didn't order any sandwiches- I don't know what you're talking about!" ANyway it went on for few minuites- it was very very funny.
downtown
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/06 15:13:43 (permalink)
"Milt: Therein lies the essencence of roadfood. Whether in Thailand, or Hungary, or South Philly. If someone says, or waves, or gestures about your order, they generally want to know if you want the stuff that makes it better. Go with it!! Unless you have some local knowlege about bull testicles or something like that."

good advice, unless the question has something in it that sounds like "fries".
downtown
Hamburger
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/07 18:36:39 (permalink)
I must admit that cheesesteaks are something new to me. I ran across them a couple of years ago at a local restaurant more famous for it's number of beer kegs than food. though the food is really darn good.

on another board I post on, we too have been discussing just what makes a good cheesesteak as I have been attempting to reproduce this at home.

ok, I can do the meat, onions and peppers. this certain restaurant serves theirs with a white cheese that I soon figured out was provolone. so my yank friends inform me that cheese wiz is the true ingredient in a philly cheese. I'm thinking, "WTF -- that stuff in a jar you couldn't get me to buy on a bet." I'll stick with the provolone, though to make an honest cheesesteak I promise to actually buy and use cheese wiz.

but still, I just can't get it right at home. so then my yank friends tell me it's all about the bread. well, that totally leaves me out, as here in the Texas panhandle, bread varieties are non-existent. however, I have found a new Sara Lee product that does pretty well.

then there's the ketchup issue. as anyone growing up on the Texas plains fully knows, you simply do not put ketchup on anything but hamburger meat. yet I see my yank friends go nuts pouring the ketchup on their philly cheese.

obviously, I still have a ways to go. sigh.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/07 20:55:14 (permalink)
Downtown, The bread is a big part of the equation. Even here in Baltimore no one makes a sandwich that comes anywhere close to what you get in the Philly area. The largest commercial bakery in town makes a sub roll so vile that I liken it to wet cardboard, and refuse to purchase any sub that is made with this roll. I can't tell you how many places I've walked out of when they give the wrong answer to my question of whose bread do you use.

Ketchup absolutely on a steak sub.... on a hot dog, never.
downtown
Hamburger
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/07 22:02:26 (permalink)
hmmmmm, I'm beginning to think in order to truly experience the cheesesteak phenomenom, I am actually going to have to travel to PA and allow some hateful man I can't understand, wearing a dirty apron, serve me a mystery meat covered in cheeze wiz and kethcup on a special bread.

no wonder there are so many posts covering this one particular topic.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/08 03:56:04 (permalink)
I've been cheesesteak deprived for years, ever since a local chain, Mr. Submarine, was driven out of business by the onslaught of Subway. I loved their cheesesteaks, the first I'd ever had, and several of their other subs and pasta dishes. I always got bell peppers on mine with the onions and beef; I guess that qualifies as a pepper steak. I never heard anything about cheese whiz nor saw it being applied to any other's sandwiches. I'm pretty sure the proprietors were from East coast somewhere, tho; their subs were very different (and much better) than any thing else I'd encountered here.

Now comes Jake's Philly Steaks (actually in business since 1991 but I just found out about them). The place is decorated with pennants of Philadelphia pro and college teams, posters of the teams, and yellowed clippings from the Enquirer and Bulletin.

The bread is supposed to be from Amoroso's. TastyKakes are listed on the online menu but not in store; the counterman told me they might have some in a couple of weeks when his brother comes down from Philly The online menu claims thinly sliced rib eye but the in store menu says its thinly sliced 'inner round.'

It's a good sandwich, served open-faced. I've had it wit and witout and I like 'em both -- I'll have trouble deciding which to order next visit. Witout there's real good beef flavor and it's real juicy; the onions have a little crispness left in 'em - a nice touch. Wit, of course, the cheese whiz overpowers the beefiness, but it's a great sandwich, too.

There are some items on the menu probably not found at Philadelphia cheesesteak emporia - fajita cheesesteaks (with chile con queso and pico de gallo) and a spicy cajun sausage sub. They have a sign for Yuengling's Black and Tan but the beer isn't actually available. After reading about some of the regional potato chips on Roadfood I was also disappointed all they serve are Lay's and Zapp's.

Authentic? I've never been to Philly so I can't say, but they're good sandwiches.

A couple of chains have popped up here -- Philly Connection and Texadelphia -- but I haven't tried either of them.

http://www.jakesphillysteaks.com/
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/16 17:22:21 (permalink)
My favorite place in Philly for cheesesteaks is Tony Lukes. Better bread, tender meat and enough of it. The Italian pork sandwich is another winner on the menu. I've yet to try a chicken steak but they look good too.
wilewil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/18 15:20:02 (permalink)
Here in Northern Virginia, they are called "steak and cheese". The best that I know of are at the Broiler on Columbia Pike in Arlington (in an area of heavy latin influence though Broiler predates it), also Big Al's in Alexandria, and Mario's which is also in Arlington.

I wonder if the name means anything? None of them offers Whiz, that I know of. All have the requisite amount of grease however.

By the way, when I lived in Philly area, the cheesesteak place in the Reading Terminal Market was quite good and handy to downtown. But I don't remember its name! Who are they and are they still there?

mtbuckingham
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/18 15:43:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

MT, where is that liquor store in Florida. Sounds like I'll have to make a visit.

Oh, sorry signman, I'm just now seeing this- it's in Key Marathon at Marathon Liquors (right off the main highway on the southern tip of town, I think). If you ever make it there, let me know what you think! I get mine with provolone (or is it white American?), onions, and mayo.
cocacolakid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/19 03:16:43 (permalink)
does anyone recommend any good philly cheesesteak places in the Chicago suburbs? preferably the western burbs?

thanks!
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/26 21:11:18 (permalink)
I had a great cheesesteak today in Wilmington, DE at a great little place called Yatz's, on the edge of Little Italy. I wanted to get to Philly but traffic was too bad. I declined on catsup on my steak? Is catsup a "normal" condiment? Bun was absolutely superb. I also saw some chicken cheese staeaks offered around town. Anybody ever had one?

carl reitz
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/30 19:09:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I had a great cheesesteak today in Wilmington, DE at a great little place called Yatz's, on the edge of Little Italy. I wanted to get to Philly but traffic was too bad. I declined on catsup on my steak? Is catsup a "normal" condiment? Bun was absolutely superb. I also saw some chicken cheese staeaks offered around town. Anybody ever had one?

carl reitz

My daughter likes 'em, Carl. I've tasted 'em. They're not bad. I guess I'm just used to the beef ones (Philly born and raised, maybe that's why). I've never eaten a cheesesteak in Delaware. I wonder if because regionally things vary from city to city (even between Wilmington & Philly) that they're different...I wonder if anyone can attest to that.

Oh, and as far as ketchup, I'm weird so I'll put ketchup on odd things, BBQ sauce on odd things, soy sauce on odd things. So for me ketchup is really nice on a cheesesteak. But I bet if they had BBQ sauce available in those big pumps at our beloved cheesesteak places, I'd go for that too.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/10/31 11:14:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wilewil

when I lived in Philly area, the cheesesteak place in the Reading Terminal Market was quite good and handy to downtown. But I don't remember its name! Who are they and are they still there?

I honestly don't know the answer, but since Cheesewit hasn't replied, I thought I'd direct you to the[url='http://www.hollyeats.com/Philadelphia.htm']Philadephia page[/url] of the Hollyeats site. If you scroll down, there is a "Reading Terminal Market" subheader.

Is one of the places listed there the one you are trying to remember?

Hey Cheesewit! Jane Dough! Help this guy out :-)
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/11/23 22:48:12 (permalink)
Do Philly Cheesesteaks become less "real" the farther one gets from Philly? For instance, there's a Philly Cheesesteak place in Knox that I have not been to but I'm wondering just how authentic it can be to the rteal thing?
Gwb5
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/11/30 17:47:45 (permalink)
My favorite is Big John's in Cherry Hill. Been going there since I was a kid. We would pick up a bunch on our way to the Jersey Shore - and by the time we'd get to our shore house, they were simply PERFECT - not quite hot, not quite cold. We wouldn't even un-pack -just stand around the kitchen in the middle of the night and eat those cheesesteaks. A very unique memory - and one that has made me loyal to Big John's cheesesteaks for life!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1