Philly Cheesesteak

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2004/12/23 16:59:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by wilewil

when I lived in Philly area, the cheesesteak place in the Reading Terminal Market was quite good and handy to downtown. But I don't remember its name! Who are they and are they still there?

I honestly don't know the answer, but since Cheesewit hasn't replied, I thought I'd direct you to the[url='http://www.hollyeats.com/Philadelphia.htm']Philadephia page[/url] of the Hollyeats site. If you scroll down, there is a "Reading Terminal Market" subheader.

Is one of the places listed there the one you are trying to remember?

Hey Cheesewit! Jane Dough! Help this guy out :-)

Sorry I'm so late responding to this...The cheesesteak stand in The Reading Terminal Market is Oliveri's. A relative of Pat's in South Philly.
peabodypride
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/01/07 21:44:02 (permalink)
Having lived in Boston, Philly, DC and So. Cal, the best cheesesteak on the planet is SuperSub - Beverly, MA. Hands down.
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/01/25 21:42:07 (permalink)
This site is about as good as it gets at listing cheesesteak places around the country. Understandably, the Philly area contains far and away the most entries.

While most reviews date from the late '90's, there seems to be a recent revival, with some fairly recent posts now appearing, at least in PA.

Enjoy.

http://www.bestcheesesteaks.com/
lampwick773
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/02/06 19:27:40 (permalink)
I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately to Roadfood.com, but I was just lookin' at this particular thread, and noticed that the Cheez-Whiz vs. Provolone that WestsideTommy brought up...

Here's the thing - and I'm with you on the fries, although I gotta be honest, I think Al's Beef sucks... Johnny's out by Harlem and North Ave is still the best... even if it is (just barely) in the 'burbs... but that's another debate entirely ...

Oh yea, The Cheez-Whiz thing... CheezWhiz, while something that no one in Chicago (being only an hour away from "America's Dairyland" (as the Cheeseheads call it) would normally consider something to eat - let alone as a quintessential part of a local delicacy - is a must on Philly Cheesesteaks, and I'll tell ya why:

The meat juices fuze with the oil in Cheez-Whiz (Canola oil is like the first or second ingredient in that stuff) creating a natural condiment so that you don't have to add anything. Kinda like the gravy on a beef... except, as you and I both know, beef gravy has a lot more flavor for the sandwich than the juices alone on Philly's sandwich.

Philly's Best on Belmont (by Clark) is actually alright, and it is owned by some Philadephia guys who know a thing or two about it... go check it out and see what I mean. Yea, you'll have to venture over to the North Side, but it's cheaper than flying back to Philly to see what I mean.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/02/14 15:48:36 (permalink)
I'm a former south jersian and late night regular at Pats Steaks, theres just something about that soutphilly stoop when eatin a drippin sammich.. another place for great steak sandwichs is Palombo's on rt130 in Cinnaminson,N.j. but I've seldom had a bad steak sandwich anywhere in the philly environs (even a bad steak sandwich is still pretty good) Here in Jacksonville Florida they have a Philly Connection which is a great place to get tandytakes but their cheesesteaks are mediocore at best,(ok if it's your only option though) a much better option is a sports bar called Philly's Finest,on Atlantic Blvd, unfortuneately they arent open for those early morning cholestrol fixes. Zero's also makes a great sandwich, stuffed with meat and dripping with melted cheese, not a real philly style sandwich but a close and tasty alternative. Oh yea!! fyi, fries are a second choice with cheesesteaks, especially Pat's ALWAYS go for the onion rings!!!!
CheeseWit
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/02/14 16:55:24 (permalink)
I wonder how the Jacksonville store did during the week leading up to Super Bowl. Philadelphians took over the city.
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 446
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/02/15 08:40:14 (permalink)
Went to the Philadelphia car show last week and obligatory stop at the Reading Terminal Market. This time roast pork for me and roast beef for my wife from DiNic's. A couple weeks earlier, a stop at Tony Luke's, where I am heading for lunch today. Will likely split a cheesesteak and roast pork with a member of the party. CheeseWit, if you are ever in the neighborhood of Aston in Delaware County, try the cajun cheesesteak at the Gumbo Shoppe. Onions, peppers, andouille, great roll- excellent variation of the standard cheesesteak.
dreamzpainter
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/02/15 14:28:58 (permalink)
The Philadelphia fans were fantastic!! There were so many Eagles fans this transplant almost lost his drawl.. I don't know how individual stores did but over all business was brisk. After all the reading and posting yesterday about cheesesteaks I just had to have one!! Not exactly what the wife was expecting for valentines day dinner but what the hey.. a lil walk on the beach, some whale watching and dancing slow and close at the waters edge .. oops thats for a different forum
CheeseWit
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/02/15 16:32:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RC51Mike

Went to the Philadelphia car show last week and obligatory stop at the Reading Terminal Market. This time roast pork for me and roast beef for my wife from DiNic's. A couple weeks earlier, a stop at Tony Luke's, where I am heading for lunch today. Will likely split a cheesesteak and roast pork with a member of the party. CheeseWit, if you are ever in the neighborhood of Aston in Delaware County, try the cajun cheesesteak at the Gumbo Shoppe. Onions, peppers, andouille, great roll- excellent variation of the standard cheesesteak.

Thanks for the tip. Was in Aston today as a matter of fact but didn't have time to stop for lunch anyway. If I did, I would've stopped at Zac's for some burgers.
I love Dinic's Roast Pork. Will be going there on the next Philly roadfood get-together.
CheeseWit
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/02/15 16:35:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

The Philadelphia fans were fantastic!! There were so many Eagles fans this transplant almost lost his drawl.. I don't know how individual stores did but over all business was brisk. After all the reading and posting yesterday about cheesesteaks I just had to have one!! Not exactly what the wife was expecting for valentines day dinner but what the hey.. a lil walk on the beach, some whale watching and dancing slow and close at the waters edge .. oops thats for a different forum

Even though we had a nice Valentine's Day, what you and your wife did(Cheesesteaks, walk on the beach, etc.) is my kind of Valentine's Day!
Sancho sells beer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/03 12:45:33 (permalink)
If it's one thing NYC has picked up on lately its cheesesteaks. with BB bar, Woogies and the newest, and my fav, Tony Luke's.All 3 three joints are very good although, BB's is diffrent being round but its great. One thing i notice about New yorkers orderin at the Tony Luke's NYC is that no one was gettin their steaks with Wiz. i dont know what's up with these people. I guess the wiz thing can be scary to some of these uppity NYers but c'mon, in my experience It aint a cheesesteak with out the wiz
westsidetommy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/03 18:59:05 (permalink)
Since starting this thread I moved to the North Side of Chicago and married a woman from Philly.

She told me that Pats and Genos are the pits and not at all indicitive of a good cheesesteak.

Anyway we go to this place on Belmont, Phillie's Best, that one of the folks here mentioned. It's very good and more importantly Linda thinks it's very good and quite authentic.

Linda thinks Cheesewhiz is an abomination and orders what she calls a pizza-steak with red-gravy, provalone and grilled onions. Very good I must say. And seeing as real Chicago Italian beef is rare on the Nort' Side I'm now eating more Philly sandwiches than Chicago ones.

Though I still get down to Mannys, Ricobenes and La Milanese once in awhile.
sjeffrey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/06 21:37:47 (permalink)
Mama's in Ardmore is so good they only open when they want to. Its out of the way for anyone not living on the Main Line, but the cheese steak there is one of the greatest treats I have ever eaten. They use real cheese, fresh rolls, and a quality beef.
CheeseWit
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/06 22:17:28 (permalink)
Mama's is actually in Bala Cynwyd, PA on Belmont Ave.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4594
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/06 22:48:57 (permalink)
...and what do you think of their CS's, CW?
CheeseWit
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/06 22:51:51 (permalink)
TJ: I think they're good, but after you eat one, you can't eat another cheesesteak for a couple days. What I mean is Mama's are so "heavy" that your stomach can't deal with any more cheese and meat. I go to Mama's about once a year now.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4594
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/06 23:30:50 (permalink)
Hmm. Ingredients: bread, steak, cheese, onions.

Same more or less everywhere for the basic cheesesteak right?

Not that I doubt you, rather trying to understand...how is it heavier at Mama's despite ingredients being the same?
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/08 12:27:01 (permalink)
I agree 100% with Cheesewit about Mama's. They just load a lot more meat and cheese into their sandwich. At least it's a quality sandwich, even though they chop the steak.

But heavier is not always better. Here in the Dundalk section of Baltmore, Captain Harvey's is known for their cheesesteaks, which probably weigh in over a pound and are dirt cheap. But they taste dirt cheap and the roll falls apart if you try to pick it up. But the quantity is what people remember.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/08 12:54:19 (permalink)
While I respect the devotion to Philly cheese steaks, I just don't understand it. I have had them in Philly (Pat's, etc.) and find them much too bland for my taste. I am a native Chicagoan. Cheese steaks are often compared to Italian beef sandwiches. To me, there is no comparison other than the fact that both use thin cut beef on a long bread. Italian beef has much more flavor due to generous seasoning. With giardinara it packs even more punch.

I intend to stick with Italian beef and don't bother when cheese steaks are available. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
CheeseWit
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/08 17:13:46 (permalink)
tsores,
I agree with you. Italian Beef sandwiches and cheesesteaks should never be compared. They are both very good. A native Chicagoan will love his Italian beef sandwiches and hot dogs and pizza, and a native Philadelphian will feel the same way about his cheesesteaks, roast pork sandwiches, and pizza.
At least you've tried our sandwich; some never try and turn their nose up at them.
dreamzpainter
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/09 08:15:54 (permalink)
SACRILIDGE!!!! If your sammich is bland tsore, pile on the cherry peppers!! In a different thread I posted how I had found frozen Italian Beef sandwich makings at Super WalMart. Very tasty and an addition to my freezer stock I added sauteed bell peppers and onions and LUBI'S hot peppers (see LUBI'S thread)then I went one step further.... yep I had it "WIT" Oh ME, oH mY, a compilation of two gastronomic delights!!
tiggs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/03/20 01:38:03 (permalink)
I’ve had good and bad cheese steaks at the “famous” places in Philly, but Phillip’s Steaks at 22nd and Passyunk is my favorite.

Also, if you like hot peppers on your cheese steak, ask for “Italian Hots.” They roast the long hot peppers in advance and fry them with the steak.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 643
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/04/26 19:17:41 (permalink)
A Jersey Mike's has opened up down here in Ft Myers. Obviously, we are a long way from the heart of cheese steak and hoagie country in the northeast. Can any of you Philly-area experts tell me whether Jersey Mike's makes a reliable CS or hoagie when you can't get the real thing. I seem to remember some earlier posts that were pretty favorable?

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18629
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/04/26 19:45:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by QFan

A Jersey Mike's has opened up down here in Ft Myers. Obviously, we are a long way from the heart of cheese steak and hoagie country in the northeast. Can any of you Philly-area experts tell me whether Jersey Mike's makes a reliable CS or hoagie when you can't get the real thing. I seem to remember some earlier posts that were pretty favorable?

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL

Jersey Mike's is an abomination. I've never heard of one having cheese steaks, but then I've never looked. Their so-called Italian subs, at least in the franchises here in central Ohio, have baked ham, bad salami, cheap cheese and disgusting bread. Other than that, they're terrific.
dreamzpainter
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/04/27 12:22:54 (permalink)
QFan if there's a Miami Subs around they make a pretty good cheesesteak. Unfortunately the ones here in Jax have all closed
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 643
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/04/28 19:43:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

QFan if there's a Miami Subs around they make a pretty good cheesesteak. Unfortunately the ones here in Jax have all closed

We actually had one here in Bonita Springs, but it closed. Thanks for the tip.

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
Trebor K
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/04/28 22:26:11 (permalink)
In case any New Yorkers are interested, Tony Luke's from Philly opened on 9th Ave and 41st street. The roast pork, provolone and broccolli greens are real good and the cheesesteak transplants from philly pretty well.
Spiritfox
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/06/01 23:59:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by downtown

...this certain restaurant serves theirs with a white cheese that I soon figured out was provolone. so my yank friends inform me that cheese wiz is the true ingredient in a philly cheese. I'm thinking, "WTF -- that stuff in a jar you couldn't get me to buy on a bet." I'll stick with the provolone, though to make an honest cheesesteak I promise to actually buy and use cheese wiz...

...then there's the ketchup issue. as anyone growing up on the Texas plains fully knows, you simply do not put ketchup on anything but hamburger meat. yet I see my yank friends go nuts pouring the ketchup on their philly cheese.

obviously, I still have a ways to go. sigh.

hmmmmm... no.
actually, you would be considered a PURIST if Pat's grandfather were still running the operation back in the 30's. (or - for that matter, his father, in the 60's!) The original ingredient WAS Provalone and then it switched to Mozarella at some point. Cheez-Whiz is a recent development. And it was originally a tomato-puree relish rather than ketchup before they decided to cut costs and go with cheaper ingredients. I grew up in Philly in the 50's/60's and know this firsthand. and - bread is an artform... I always bake my own using a hybrid of old and new methods - breadmaker to mix and knead, and then more kneading and rising and traditional baking techniques from the old farm days (when we HAD a rural America and were proud of her). The meat is important as well - here in Texas, a good black angus or grade triple A-Choice and a mini professional slicer can achieve necessary results. I used to have my parents bring me a cooler of Landis beefsteaks from Amish country each time they visited when Landis was still in business. Onions are genetically not what they used to be, either. <sigh!> so one must grow his own... many of my relatives and friends say my cheesesteaks are what they remember from their youth. art changes over time, eh? no worries... you can depend on it becoming further bastardized over time. but what are we leaving for the children?
yucko
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/06/03 01:26:07 (permalink)
Geno's and Pat's are the Original Guys but, there are tons of mom and pop pizza and sandwich shops that make a way better cheesesteak. Geno's and Pat's aren't about the cheesesteak.....it's about the experience!! OPEN 24 HOURS A DAY!!! Got it? midnight on Monday or 4am on Saturday you can get a cheesesteak in the city. It's all about the night time after the bars close and lines are around the block with all kinds of characters (and cops, they keep things cool :) It's the perfect nightcap after a night of partying whether you're in the city of half and hour away...head for Pat's....or Geno's.....and end the night with a full belly....that is if it stays down an hour later.....PS....Oaks Italian Deli has the best cheesesteak and possibly hoagies in the area of Philly. Their zip code is 19456. Map it Find it Eat it!
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/06/03 20:34:40 (permalink)
Locally, in Camden County, New Jersey, very good cheesesteaks can be found here: http://www.nardisdeli.com/pages/frame1.htm as well as Gaetano's (various locations). I was surprised at how good Nardi's steaks turned out to be.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1