Philly Cheesesteak

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
sandwackers
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2005/06/04 01:50:42 (permalink)
There used to be some really good philly's at Sandwackers called Nate Dogg's and Curly's, but now the meat and bread and cheese are all cheap so they aren't good anymore. It's a shame because there really wasn't anything else in the south Dallas area!
smarchit
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/07/28 16:54:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by wilewil

when I lived in Philly area, the cheesesteak place in the Reading Terminal Market was quite good and handy to downtown. But I don't remember its name! Who are they and are they still there?

I honestly don't know the answer, but since Cheesewit hasn't replied, I thought I'd direct you to the[url='http://www.hollyeats.com/Philadelphia.htm']Philadephia page[/url] of the Hollyeats site. If you scroll down, there is a "Reading Terminal Market" subheader.

Is one of the places listed there the one you are trying to remember?

Hey Cheesewit! Jane Dough! Help this guy out :-)

Sorry I'm so late responding to this...The cheesesteak stand in The Reading Terminal Market is Oliveri's. A relative of Pat's in South Philly.

I just saw a new AP article that Oliveri's/Rick's Philly Steaks in the Reading Terminal Farmer's Market is closing. The 104-year-old farmers' market, underneath what was once a massive train station, plans to replace Rick's with Tony Luke's Old Philly Style Sandwiches, a locally owned chain.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07209/805267-100.stm
Louis144
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/20 22:24:48 (permalink)
A few years ago, some Lower Merion High School seniors did a cheesesteak rating for their senior project. It made the news. They picked Tony Luke's, John's, and Jim's in that order, with Tony Luke and John pretty close. The rest did not compete.
Pat's and Geno's are the tourist places. You can recall the scene from the first Rocky movie, and say "I've been there!" when John Madden talks about it, but that's it. Bookbinder's was full of tourists long after Philadelphians, locals, had seen them decline. Pat's and Geno's have declined the same way.
You can get a Tony Luke's at Citizens Bank Park. The line is long but it moves. That crowd would not put up with a second-rate cheesesteak, period.
I completely agree with the student's report. You can compare Tony Luke's, John's and Jim's, but no one else with them.
thediningroom
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/20 22:35:18 (permalink)
I think the myth of this "chhesesteak from Philly" is gone, has been for years, every city as at least one that can dupe it, sorry but "CHEEZE WHIZ" is nasty and would rather perfer some nice provalone or swiss over processed nasty cheeze wizz. I been to philly and tried both of your "signiture outlets" nothing can't get in Detroit, or Cleveland, or Chicago, or Buffalo.
Coldwind
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/21 03:08:58 (permalink)
In fact, you can't get a Philadelphia Cheesesteak everywhere, and the reason is simple -- supply and demand. Real cheesesteak joints slice their own beef. It's frozen so they can slice it paper thin. The blades of the slicer have to be re-sharpened or replaced every other day. I had a pal from Camden NJ who had a pizza shop here in Minneapolis. He wanted to add a cheesesteak to the menu, but he couldn't afford the equipment and storage, and he couldn't find a supplier who would shave the beef -- retooling the slicer blades every other day for a novelty sandwich was too expensive, whereas if you have the demand it's just another business expense.

Also, it's very hard to get the right bread outside the area, and the bread is very important when making a cheesesteak or a hoagie. My pal actually found someone who could duplicate the bread, but the cost of resharpening those slicers did him in.

BTW, I'm an ardent supporter of Jim's on South Street, with the onions and Provolone. That's the Classic Philly Steak.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6411
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/23 12:17:28 (permalink)
If you are looking for a Philly Cheesesteak in Minneapolis I think I can recommend Lyon's Pub on 6th Street in downtown Minneapolis. It is a huge tasty sandwich. Whether it is an exact replica of those in Philly I don't know. What I do know is it tastes great.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/23 12:34:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

If you are looking for a Philly Cheesesteak in Minneapolis I think I can recommend Lyon's Pub on 6th Street in downtown Minneapolis. It is a huge tasty sandwich. Whether it is an exact replica of those in Philly I don't know. What I do know is it tastes great.

Davydd,

It looks like the sandwich has Green Peppers on it- That's an abomination on an "authentic cheesesteak" from Philly.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/23 12:39:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Davydd,

It looks like the sandwich has Green Peppers on it- That's an abomination on an "authentic cheesesteak" from Philly.

No I think those are Jalapeno Peppers and that is ok.....Russ
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/23 12:45:19 (permalink)
WJ,

Russ has it right. They are Jalapenos and lots of them to make your forehead sweat. It was also more sandwich than someone should rightfully eat for a lunch.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/23 12:45:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Davydd,

No I think those are Jalapeno Peppers and that is ok.....Russ

Well....not necessarily Jalapeno's, but italian hot peppers are ok.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/23 20:36:12 (permalink)
That's a great looking sandwich, mainly because the steak is sliced not chopped.
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/23 21:02:26 (permalink)
The best Philly is the one you make at home!

David O.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2007/12/23 22:46:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

David O.

I don't know if I can agree with this. This seems like one sandwich that seems to taste better outside the home mainly because of the preparation of the beef and the hoagie bun. I find it difficult to find a decent hoagie bun in a grocery store.
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2008/01/09 13:35:42 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

David O.

I don't know if I can agree with this. This seems like one sandwich that seems to taste better outside the home mainly because of the preparation of the beef and the hoagie bun. I find it difficult to find a decent hoagie bun in a grocery store.

I think you are both correct. I love making a great Philly Cheese steak, Italian Hot Dog or even various Subs at home, but it is always the bread that disappoints. SO the homemade comes close for most but it's just not real deal.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2008/01/15 14:56:44 (permalink)
If you are away from home (philly that is)-try the cheesesteak from Nathan's(yes the Nathans in the mall)-it is really not bad. It is better that some of that other crap.
Jimbo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2008/01/15 15:18:49 (permalink)
Every year my buddies and I go to a different city for a baseball game. 2006 we were in Philadephia. Friday night dinner Jims Steaks on South St. ??, they were great. Breakfast Saturday-chocolatechip cookies and milk at hotel. Saturday lunch-pork roast, broccolli rabe and provolone subs in the Readding Terminal building don't know the name of the stand. Saturday night dinner-Tony Lukes at the stadium. Sunday before we left we went to Pats and Genos. We ate 1 sub (steak, cheese onions) from both stands. We liked Pats the best out of all the steaks we ate that weekend. A side note, one of the guys was a vegetarian, all the sub shops would give him vegetables and chees wiz on a roll with no meat and charge him full price. Genos wouldn't sell him a sandwich without meat. 4 Guys, 1 City, 3 Days, 19 Subs
mikez629
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Philly Cheesesteak 2008/01/15 17:37:09 (permalink)
Tony Lukes is the best non conventional cheesteak(brocoli rabe/sharp provalone/-worth the trip-great hole in the wall-this place was on Throwdown With Bobby Flay.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1