Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday

Author
mrphil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
2004/08/27 10:51:03 (permalink)

Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday

I will be seeing a Phillies game on Sat. Night and staying overnight.
I wanted to bring my wife back an example of a Philly Pork Sandwich (with greens) Much to my dismay the two top places are closed on Sunday (DiNic and Tony Lukes) We are staying in city center near chinatown. Any suggestions for a place I can stop at on the way out of town? I brought her a cheesesteak last time, so I would like to bring something else.

13 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18362
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 11:26:35 (permalink)
    I've never heard of a Philly pork sandwich. It sounds interesting. What is it?
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 11:28:39 (permalink)
    Just like an Italian roast pork in any other town- Roast port with garlic and, if you'd like, broccoli rabe (rapini). We eat them here in Baltimore.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 11:36:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mek

Just like an Italian roast pork in any other town- Roast port with garlic and, if you'd like, broccoli rabe (rapini). We eat them here in Baltimore.

Here's the bad news, mek. Not "every other town" has a decent roast pork sandwich of any kind. I crave them and a good friend from the upper midwest (now living across the street from me in the Southwest) makes me a periodic fix of "porketta". In local restaurants, carnitas works but you really can't get it without the Mexi-fixins that make it a different thing.

I grew up in Silver Spring, went to college in Baltimore and my nieces both still live there--and I don't recall roast pork sandwiches being common restaurant fare there either. When did that happen?
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 11:44:53 (permalink)
    BT-
    You get them at Apicella's, DiPasquale's, Cannella's, Pastore's.
    Of course, I can also roast my own pork, do my own rabe in lots of garlic and buy the best rolls I can find and make my own. If your cravings become uncontrollable, you might want to try it.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 11:45:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mek

I've lived in Connecticut, Ohio, Texas, California, Florida, and places in-between and far away, and I've never heard of an Italian roast pork sandwich, with or without broccoli rabe (a green with which I am very familiar).
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 11:50:37 (permalink)
    OK- enough already !!!
    I have had Italian roast pork sandwiches in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, North Jersey... all at either the homes of my good Italian-American friends or at neighborhood sub shops.

I guess that is what I meant by "any other town".
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 11:58:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by mek

I've lived in Connecticut, Ohio, Texas, California, Florida, and places in-between and far away, and I've never heard of an Italian roast pork sandwich, with or without broccoli rabe (a green with which I am very familiar).

Well, it IS true as I suggested above, that "porketta" is apparently a well-known thing in parts of the midwest. See the following for both a description and an on-line source (if you don't want to make your own): http://www.sunrisegourmet.com/porketta.html . It apparently derives from the Italian porchetta: http://www.greve-in-chianti.com/Italian-cookery/porchetta/porchetta-eng.htm
    I suspect this is also the source of what we are discussing here.

I wasn't previously aware they were big in either Philadelphia or Baltimore--but I learn more that surprises me about Baltimore every day (surprises me because I spent plenty of time exploring its nooks and crannies in my college years).
    mrphil
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 12:25:50 (permalink)
    Well now I know where to get them in Baltimore! (Was there a few weeks ago for a game at Camden yards) Don't forget the aged provolone as well. I had my first one a year ago at Reading Terminal Market (DiNics) The sweetness of the pork, sharpness of the cheese and bitterness of the broccoli rabe make for one heck of a sandwich.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4563
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 12:45:56 (permalink)
    Mr Hoffman:

Take a look at
    http://www.hollyeats.com/TonyLukes.htm
    http://www.hollyeats.com/DiNics.htm
    http://www.hollyeats.com/JohnsPork.htm

This seems to me to be the less well known sandwich of Philadelphia, but still quite popular there. I know I will find time for a couple of these in addition to cheesesteaks when and if I ever get to Philly :-)
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 12:54:41 (permalink)
    Mrphil,
    I would like to recommend the following places in Baltimore City, for those interested in finding the best Italian deli foods, etc.:

Westside- Trinacria -406 North Paca Street, Baltimore City. Tel. (410) 685-7285.

Eastside- DiPasquale's Italian Marketplace -3700 Gough Street - Baltimore, MD 21224. Tel. (410) 276-1005

My father first took me to these 2 venerable institutions when I was 6 years old (1964). I am happy to report that they are still the best !

I would love to try that pork with rabe and provolone...man, I'm sitting here at my desk salivating!

Everyone...have a good weekend!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 13:15:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Mr Hoffman:

Take a look at
    http://www.hollyeats.com/TonyLukes.htm
    http://www.hollyeats.com/DiNics.htm
    http://www.hollyeats.com/JohnsPork.htm

This seems to me to be the less well known sandwich of Philadelphia, but still quite popular there. I know I will find time for a couple of these in addition to cheesesteaks when and if I ever get to Philly :-)

Wow! Those look great. I guess I'm going to have to make one. Do you know what cut of pork they use?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4563
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 14:10:52 (permalink)
    No idea, sorry
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Philly Pork Sandwich on a Sunday 2004/08/27 14:32:40 (permalink)
    Looks like the usual shoulder or "fresh" ham.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1