Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95

Author
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
2014/06/23 11:18:44 (permalink)

Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95

My wife and I are going to Alexandria, VA to visit Mt. Vernon in a couple weeks. I've got some of our meals lined up already. But I'm looking for:
A. A place to stop for breakfast or lunch, preferably between the MD/DE border and Baltimore, although I'm open to considering places north and south of that stretch as well.

B. Also a place to have lunch or an early dinner the next day after we visit Mt. Vernon. This should ideally be something between Mt. Vernon and Baltimore. I haven't ruled out the Inn at Mt. Vernon or going back into the heart of Alexandria to eat, but I'd like to consider other possibilities

We'd prefer not to have to go into the heart of Baltimore or D.C. for time reasons. Restaurants within a few miles of 95 would be ideal. Diners are welcome, but I'm open to plenty of other things. Thanks.

19 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 11:30:35 (permalink)
    phlmaestro-
    I reviewed Broom's Bloom Dairy in Bel Air, which is just a few miles off on I-95, maybe 1/2 north of Baltimore.  Although they are best known for ice cream, their sandwiches (especially the ones made with their own smoked cheese), crab soup and mac and cheese and worth seeking it.  And you can follow it up with some excellent ice cream!
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 12:00:05 (permalink)
    The Cedar Knoll Restaurant http://www.cedarknollinnrestaurant.com/ is right on the parkway one mile from Mt. Vernon. I have had some pretty good lunches there, but recently some of the reviews have been a bit "spotty"...certainly a convenient option.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 13:56:48 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster ... Broom's Bloom Dairy looks like it would be a good pick for the first meal, but unfortunately, according to their site, they are closed Mondays, and we'll be heading down to VA on a Monday. I may consider it for the trip back, but I'm hoping for something closer to D.C. for that meal. I have a feeling we'll be hungry following our tour of Mt. Vernon and won't want to drive that long before eating.

But thanks to both of you for the recommendations.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 660
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 15:09:42 (permalink)
    G & M Restaurant, whose excellent crabcakes have been posted about many times here on Roadfood, is just a couple of miles off I-95.  Never had a bad crabcake or bad anything from there menu.  They don't open untill 11am though.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 15:16:06 (permalink)
    I was going to look for another suggestion, but wouldn't be able to come up with anything better than G & M.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 15:24:10 (permalink)
    I was going to go with the same suggestion- G & M
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 16:40:14 (permalink)
    I like the G & M menu. Thanks for the recommendation. That is a definite possibility.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4096
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 18:09:56 (permalink)
    phlmaestro

I like the G & M menu. Thanks for the recommendation. That is a definite possibility.

I opened the thread with G&M on my mind. 
    Evidently, I am not alone in my  for their legendary crabcakes
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 18:34:35 (permalink)
    Also, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner I HIGHLY recommend Metro 29 Diner.  It's in Arlington at the intersection of Lee Hwy (Rt. 29) and N. Glebe Rd (Rt. 120).

It's a true Long-Island-style diner (check their menu!!!) and is the single DC-area restaurant that we miss the most after living there for 28 years before moving to Dallas in 2005.

EZ directions from Alex:  take the GWP North along the Potomac. 

Enjoy the beautiful view of the city

Just after passing underneath Key Bridge, take the exit "Spout Run Parkway".  It ends at Lee Hwy (Rt. 29-211).  Hang a right.  Metro 29 is 1.5 miles on your right.  (High end 'hood, ultra-safe at all hours).

Edit:  to gat back, simply retrace your steps.

My favorite dinner there is their fried shrimp.  They are fresh and HUGE. 
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/06/23 18:42:48
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/23 21:14:32 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jim. Looks like a good diner menu. I see they have corned beef hash. If I go, I'll probably ask whether it's home made, and get it if it is (unless you or anyone else here knows); assuming they serve breakfast all day. It's hard to find good corned beef hash around here.
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/24 12:05:20 (permalink)
    Since Jim suggested Metro 29 Diner (a very good suggestion by the way), I'll put in a plug for another good local diner in Arlington, Bob and Edith's Diner. On Columbia Pike not far from the Pentagon.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/bob-and-ediths-diner-arlington-2
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/24 14:19:00 (permalink)
    phlmaestro

Thanks, Jim. Looks like a good diner menu. I see they have corned beef hash. If I go, I'll probably ask whether it's home made, and get it if it is (unless you or anyone else here knows); assuming they serve breakfast all day. It's hard to find good corned beef hash around here.

Everything they do is made on premises.  They are 'the real deal'. 

Re:  Bob and Edith's. 
    They are a good 'traditional, nothing fancy' breakfast place, well known for the 4 AM pre-hangover 'cure'. 
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/24 14:32:33 (permalink)
    Thanks again, everyone. Great-looking suggestions.
    phillyinmd
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/26 08:54:06 (permalink)
    For your stop between Mount Vernon and Baltimore I would recommend The Tender Rib in Temple Hills, MD.  It's pretty close to I-95.  The pulled pork is nothing special, but everything else is really good. Especially the ribs and honey bbq wings.  The cornbread with maple pecan butter is a must-get as well.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1599
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/06/26 22:52:10 (permalink)
    I've made the I95 trip thru DE/MD/VA several times in the past several years and like you, try to plan a lunch stop before Baltimore.

One place I would suggest if you like Seafood is MacGregors in Havre de Grace. They have an nice outdoor deck if the weather is good, and the food is good and reasonable. Plus, Havre de Grace is a quaint town with a lot of history. There's a very scenic Riverwalk at the edge of town to stretch your legs after all the driving and eating.
    http://www.macgregorsrestaurant.com/

PS: Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been to G&M and I believe it is on the far side of Baltimore, not between the MD/DE border and Baltimore.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/07/08 20:17:39 (permalink)
    I'm back from this brief trip. We held out until G & M Restaurant on the way down for lunch. The crab cake was as good as advertised. I only had one because we had dinner reservations and I didn't want to get too filled up. But it was fantastic. Thanks again for that recommendation.

For a variety of logistical reasons, we didn't get to any of the other places that were recommended. We wound up just eating at the restaurant at Mount Vernon and driving straight home from there. That was a mistake as far as the food goes, but with the heat being what it was, we both felt a little worn out and needed a meal before driving back to Philly.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1673
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/07/08 20:48:35 (permalink)
    phlmaestro
    I'm back from this brief trip. We held out until G & M Restaurant on the way down for lunch. The crab cake was as good as advertised. I only had one because we had dinner reservations and I didn't want to get too filled up. But it was fantastic. Thanks again for that recommendation.

For a variety of logistical reasons, we didn't get to any of the other places that were recommended. We wound up just eating at the restaurant at Mount Vernon and driving straight home from there. That was a mistake as far as the food goes, but with the heat being what it was, we both felt a little worn out and needed a meal before driving back to Philly.

How was the food at Mount Vernon?  Longwood Garden, near us, actually has a nice,fresh, tasty menu in its cafeteria as well as its full service dining room
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/07/08 23:17:59 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic
    How was the food at Mount Vernon?  Longwood Garden, near us, actually has a nice,fresh, tasty menu in its cafeteria as well as its full service dining room.

It would be hard for me to give a fair review of the place based on my experience. I was having a bad allergy problem throughout my time at Mount Vernon (only while I was at Mount Vernon; must have been something in the air) and while I needed something to eat, I didn't really feel like I could enjoy the food enough to order the more interesting things on the menu, some of which also looked like they'd be too big for the appetite I had at that point (a half-pound burger, meatloaf). I had a tough time deciding what to order and wound up getting cornbread with honey butter for an appetizer. It came in a small cast-iron skillet with a nice-sized pat of butter on top. But it wasn't the least bit hot. It was room temperature. I just thought it was a bit odd to serve it like that, and not have it be hot. I then had a basic club sandwich. It was nothing to write home about, although it came with good homemade chips. My wife seemed happy with her fried green tomatoes and salad. They had a couple interesting looking things on the menu, but I didn't try them. There was Virginia Peanut Soup and an appetizer which I think was a flat corn cake topped with country ham, crab meat and some kind of sauce.
    It's a pleasant place to eat, compared to both other museum restaurants I've been to and the food court across the hall, which was mobbed and extremely noisy.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2014/07/08 23:20:03
    LJM
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: Philly to Mt. Vernon along 95 2014/07/09 08:57:47 (permalink)
    Don't know what your food preference is, but here a few suggestions.  The Fish Market restaurant (http://fishmarketva.com) in Old Town Alexandria is excellent.  On weekdays, they have happy hour (4 - 6 or 7 pm) with half price appetizers.  South Austin Grill (http://www.austingrill.com/content/home.html) in Old Town is an excellent Tex-Mex type restaurant.  Hard Times Cafe http://www.hardtimes.com/locations/alexandria/) also in Old Town is a chili parlor that claims good food at cheap prices.  There's just too many restaurants to name in Old Town, but the ones I've listed are ones that I go to regularly.  Suggest that you Google "restaurants and Old Town Alexandria" for a greater selection.    
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1