Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/12 08:53:40 (permalink)
Personally, I would get over to Ted's Hot dogs in Tempe, because I never miss a chance to have Ted's

I always ask for mine extra charred.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/12 12:54:19 (permalink)
I discovered Ted's in 2008 completely by accident. I was driving around, saw the place and stopped in.

I knew I'd made a good call when the guy behind me told me he was from Chicago.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 683
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/12 16:24:04 (permalink)
NascarDad
Personally, I would get over to Ted's Hot dogs in Tempe, because I never miss a chance to have Ted's

I love Ted's...

But I go to Buffalo almost as often as Tempe, so I often get my fix there.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10353
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/12 23:56:14 (permalink)
When you go to Ted's in Tempe, don't forget to order the Onion Rings!
Made fresh there daily, not frozen!
They have one guy that does nothing but make onion rings!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3314
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/13 10:43:33 (permalink)
My personal favorite is Don & Charlie's in Scottsdale. Two Chicago guys from the north side, my old stomping grounds, serving my favorite bill of fare. It's my home away from home. www.donandcharlies.com
cathyee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/13 11:12:52 (permalink)
wow, this burger looks delicious. Can you specify what kind of cheese  is being used into this burger. I can make burger at home but i want to make this kind of burger.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/14 00:07:55 (permalink)
Phoenix Magazine's Nov. issue is a "Best of the Valley" issue and lists 238 of us "Basinonian's" favorite things including some restaurants.
www.phoenixmag.com
Here's some:
www.amusebouche.biz Breakfast/Brunch
www.phoenixpalacerestaurant.com Dim Sum
www.restaurantnoca.com Burgers
www.galloblanco.com Breakfast/Brunch
www.chicagostaylorstreet.com Italian Beef
www.shinbay.com Seafood
www.windsoraz.com Biscuits & Gravy
www.wedgebottle.com Grilled Cheese
http://hanajapaneseeatery.com/ Japanese

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/16 14:36:40 (permalink)
Foodbme

I swim against the tide on Pizzeria Bianco!
I think it's GROSSLY OVERRATED!!!!!
Here's my Urbanspoon Review:
IMHO Grossly Overrated!
by Foodbme (10 reviews)
Been here 4 times. 1 by my choice and 3 by out of towners who dragged me there kicking and screaming because they read the hype on this place. The wait is ridiculous. The tables are cramped, The wait staff is indifferent and the pizza is average for a wood-fired pizza. Oh, I forgot. The prices are outrageous!
Was this review helpful? Yes | No

I am usually decidedly anti-hype, when it comes to restaurants, and I was skeptical if this place could ever live up to its reputation. That said, I couldn't disagree with you more. I thought Pizzeria Bianco delivered everything I could have expected. 

Admittedly, I went with one of the more basic choices - the classic Margherita, which is simply sauce, house-made mozzarella, and fresh basil. The crust was charred to perfection. I begin my judging of any pizza by the crust, and this was outstanding - rivaled, perhaps, by the only the pantheon of pizza craftmasters - Pepe's, Modern, Totonno's?

This was a pie for the ages, and I would absolutely go back. With all of that praise, I still don't think that Bianco's makes the best pie in the country, as others have opined. I wouldn't wait hours for one to be delivered to my table. The drawbacks:
  • This may be the place that started the modern "gourmet" pizza craze. I like simple toppings - pepperoni, meatball. You can find neither on their menu, but you can get arugula, pistachios, sopressatta, and prosciutto. I would trade all of that for pepperoni and/or meatball.
  • Parking is a nightmare. They have their own lot, which is valet only. Ugh. I hate valets. I know it is because I am a control freak, but just let me park my own damn car.
  • The price. If you're used to paying $12 for a large, three-topping Domino's pie, this place is going to be expensive. If you value top-of-the-line ingredients for a top-of-the-line product, then this is not at all outrageous.
The 800-pound gorilla in the room: The wait. I was in, out, and fed in under 30 minutes. Of course, I went by myself and wasn't looking for a social experience. Most people don't do that. They go out with friends, etc. This was a stop in the middle of a business trip, so it was just me. I didn't arrive at a particularly off-hour (i.e. 3 pm). I got there just before their dinner rush started - right before 5 pm. I realize that is not the most convenient time for most people to go, but it is not the MOST inconvenient time, either. The place was nearly empty - as a matter of fact, the bar was COMPLETELY empty. The service was friendly, if not a little brusque. It was the IDEAL situation for me. I wouldn't stand in line for hours - especially by myself. BUT...knowing that the place gets crazy crowded, and many consider the wait to be part of the experience (a la Grimaldi's in Brooklyn), then bitching about the wait time seems crazy to me. You don't want to wait - don't go at a time when there is going to be a wait. Griping about rushed service when the place is packed with a two-hour line out the door also seems crazy. The only reason people do that is because most people in Phoenix expect friendlier service. If the same brusque service was delivered at a place like Grimaldi's, which needs to turn tables over in order to serve more customers, no one would blink an eye.

Overall, my experience was an A+. Is it the best pizza I've ever had? I don't know I can say that, but it's in my Top 10, for sure.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/16 14:42:00 (permalink)
As an aside, can someone with whom I am not friends on Facebook tell me if they can see the photos loaded above. I used photos from my FB account - I think for the first time - and am wondering how my own permissions may affect my ability to post them here.  Thanks.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 528
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/16 15:05:15 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

As an aside, can someone with whom I am not friends on Facebook tell me if they can see the photos loaded above. I used photos from my FB account - I think for the first time - and am wondering how my own permissions may affect my ability to post them here.  Thanks.

They're there.

DT

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/16 15:10:01 (permalink)
Thanks. This may become my go-to method for posting pictures, as it was relatively painless.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/16 15:22:18 (permalink)
The photos are fine.

I've been trying to tell people since my re-review in 2011 that Bianco shifting from dinner-only to lunch-through-dinner was a sea change, since it alleviated a lot of demand, and particularly made showing up during slack time a workable proposition (I used to always have to either show up waaaay early and spent a lot of time waiting, or show up late-ist and talk my way into a single spot at the bar)

As an aside, I've never had trouble parking there, I just use the nearby garage on 5th, which is quite reasonable as long as it's not event parking.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10475
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/17 08:20:43 (permalink)
Okay, after seeing those pictures and learning some parking tips, I am going to pay a visit the next time in Phoenix.  And that particular pizza is exactly what I would order.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/17 11:22:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Okay, after seeing those pictures and learning some parking tips, I am going to pay a visit the next time in Phoenix.  And that particular pizza is exactly what I would order.

It's a great looking pie and I'm trying to get to Phoenix in the spring so I may just have to check it out.

DT
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10475
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/17 11:27:33 (permalink)
Davwud-
I have driven past the place and saw ridiculously long lines out the door and multiple cars circling the area looking for parking.  That will scare me away everytime!  But, it sounds like it is more manageable now.

If you make it there, please report back!
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/17 14:51:54 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Davwud-
I have driven past the place and saw ridiculously long lines out the door and multiple cars circling the area looking for parking.  That will scare me away everytime!  But, it sounds like it is more manageable now.

If you make it there, please report back!

Knowing my cousin we'll probably walk in through the kitchen....LOL

You know I'll report back

DT
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/18 01:11:21 (permalink)
Davwud
buffetbuster
Davwud-
I have driven past the place and saw ridiculously long lines out the door and multiple cars circling the area looking for parking.  That will scare me away everytime!  But, it sounds like it is more manageable now. If you make it there, please report back!

Knowing my cousin we'll probably walk in through the kitchen....LOL
You know I'll report back
DT

Sorry, There is no back door and there is no kitchen. The dining area and the kitchen are all one room!!!
This is a SMALL building-----That's why the lines-----There is VERY limited seating and most times, a LONG wait.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/18 08:40:26 (permalink)
TTM, the pizza you show has every thing one would need and ask for in a pizza. The crust looks light, crispy with a bit of a char flavor. The cheese and sauce look like the right amounts. This pizza will be on my agenda for a late afternoon lunch..............Thanks for the pictures and review...........Bill
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/18 09:57:34 (permalink)
Foodbme
Sorry, There is no back door and there is no kitchen. The dining area and the kitchen are all one room!!!
This is a SMALL building-----That's why the lines-----There is VERY limited seating and most times, a LONG wait.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Indeed, here is a view of approximately 60% of the interior seating of Bianco:

And a gratuitous photo of one of the pizzas I've ever had (prosciutto and fig from Bianco):

Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/18 13:35:41 (permalink)
pnwchef

TTM, the pizza you show has every thing one would need and ask for in a pizza. The crust looks light, crispy with a bit of a char flavor. The cheese and sauce look like the right amounts. This pizza will be on my agenda for a late afternoon lunch..............Thanks for the pictures and review...........Bill

Not quite everything. I love pepperoni (or a reasonable substitute) on pizza. I find it to be a basic part of the pizza taste.

DT
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/18 13:36:52 (permalink)

Ya.
You weren't really supposed to take that so literally. But it's good to know what I would be getting myself into.

DT
samy5
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/10/26 17:52:47 (permalink)
I tried Pizzeria Bianco a few years back but wasn't impressed. Maybe I just had a soso experience
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/12/16 15:08:40 (permalink)
With all of the midwest and southern transplants there has be at least a couple of good BBQ joints in the region.

Where would you guys recommend for good Q?

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/12/16 20:27:04 (permalink)
Bonk
With all of the midwest and southern transplants there has be at least a couple of good BBQ joints in the region.

Surprisingly, being a western town by birth, and Texas being so close, it's pretty hard to find really good BBQ out here.
There's good BBQ, average BBQ, but I haven't found OUTSTANDING BBQ yet. I've only been here 12 years!
This place gets good recommendations but I haven't been there yet.
http://www.bryansbarbecue.com/
I've eaten at these places and I'd give these places a "Pretty Good" rating:
http://joesrealbbq.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/waldos-bbq-mesa-2
http://www.tomsbbq.com/
http://www.hapsbbq.com/
Out of these, I like Hap's the best.

post edited by Foodbme - 2012/12/16 20:28:57
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1035
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/12/17 09:13:02 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Bill, if you want an apizza as close as possible to what you grew up eating hit Pizzeria Bianco.

The first pizza I ate was at my friends house back in the mid 40's.  No one in my area had even heard of pizza.  My friends Italian mom made evrything from scratch.  She told me the tomato pie she gave me was called apizza (she pronounced it  ah PEETS)
fortbethel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 180
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/12/17 12:48:30 (permalink)
I'll agree that for a period of time maybe a couple of years Pizzeria Bianco was not living up to its reputation. It was because Chris the owner and Pie maker himself was sick. He has now beautifully trained a team of men to make his pies and the place has gotten its demon back.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/12/17 14:27:41 (permalink)
Foodbme

Bonk

Surprisingly, being a western town by birth, and Texas being so close, it's pretty hard to find really good BBQ out here.
There's good BBQ, average BBQ, but I haven't found OUTSTANDING BBQ yet. I've only been here 12 years!
This place gets good recommendations but I haven't been there yet.
http://www.bryansbarbecue.com/
I've eaten at these places and I'd give these places a "Pretty Good" rating:
http://joesrealbbq.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/waldos-bbq-mesa-2
http://www.tomsbbq.com/
http://www.hapsbbq.com/
Out of these, I like Hap's the best.

That is surprising that it's hard to find an outstanding joint. Thanks a lot for the recommendations though!

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/12/17 15:12:53 (permalink)
No wood. Burning cactus doesn't really make for a gourmet experience.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/12/17 22:52:03 (permalink)
That's a good point...I never really thought about that.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Phoenix, What Is Your # 1 Restaurant Choice 2012/12/17 23:05:28 (permalink)
I think Foodbme is trying to keep the good stuff to himself.  Most people outside of AZ don't realize that after cacti die and the green stuff rots away, a woody skeleton remains.  These wooden poles make about the best smoke wood anywhere.  Because cacti are extremely slow growing and are also Federally protected, the supply of this cactus wood is extremely scarce.  So Old-Time Arizonans like Foodbme try to keep this information quiet, especially with newbies and snowbirds.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1