• Total Posts : 6
2007/12/04 17:55:23 (permalink)

Phoenix

Where should I eat in Phoenix

45 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/04 18:32:21 (permalink)
    Go to Greasewood Flat in North Scottsdale for green chili cheese burgers by outdoor fires w/ bikers.

Try the wine bar at Sportsman.

Try Roaring Fork for good western food.

See if Baby Kay's is still open for NO cajun.

fortbethel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/04 18:40:53 (permalink)
    1) Pizzeria Bianco: The Bianca Verde pizza Pizzeriabianco.com
    2) Dick’s Hideaway: The red sauce Cheese chili rellenos with 2 over/easy fried eggs on
    top. They open at 8 am. Hard 2 spot (hence Hideaway) It’s
    between, ‘Action Computer supply & Koller hardware in a strip
    mall on the corner of bethany home & 16th. Both dishes above
    can b considered veggie.

I’ve been to 100s of Sun Valley spots & can PROMISE u the above r THE BEST!

Tucsan’s Best:

1) Cafe Poca Cosa: The Poca Cosa Plate & Chocolate mouse 4 dessert

2) Janos J-Bar: The veggie nachos

I have 2 disagree on, 'The Roaring Fork' sorry
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/04 19:07:24 (permalink)

Why don't you use the search feature on this site? You'll find dozens of suggestions.

DD

fortbethel
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/05 00:23:11 (permalink)
    desertdog,

maybe chef88 is new to this community & hasn't found the search feature. Let's try 2 b welcoming.
    chefbw88
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/05 13:48:35 (permalink)
    Yes do tell about the search part of the site. Plus I wanted first hand what everyone thought

fortbethel
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/05 17:41:53 (permalink)
    From the main page go to forums all the way at the top you'll find search click on it. make sure u select, 'where should I eat' from the drop down menu & type the city your interested in in the box above :)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10073
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/08 16:42:06 (permalink)
    Notenough people use the search feature on here. That's why we keep re-hashing, (No pun intended) the same stuff over &over again.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/08 16:44:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chefbw88

Where should I eat in Phoenix

Too broad a question. What kinds of food and places are you looking for?
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 399
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/08 20:54:19 (permalink)
    For a very good burger, try the Chuckbox in Tempe.

Walt
    waderu
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Phoenix 2007/12/10 10:58:27 (permalink)
    thanks for the advice about the search engine - I was wondering why there wasn't one, but there is... duh.

no more "rehashing" for me
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 15:54:46 (permalink)

Two Phoenix questions:

(1) If staying downtown (which I will be later this month), are places recently touted like Tee Pee, Tacos de Juarez, Mrs. White's and LoLo's accessible by cab?

(2) And are there cabs in Phoenix?

Gracias.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 16:02:55 (permalink)
    i95

Two Phoenix questions:

(1) If staying downtown (which I will be later this month), are places recently touted like Tee Pee, Tacos de Juarez, Mrs. White's and LoLo's accessible by cab?

(2) And are there cabs in Phoenix?

Gracias.

You can POWER WALK to Taco's de Juaez from downtown (I'd only suggest it during the day though)

Not Tee Pee and not sure about the other  places.

Don't discount Carolina's Mexican Kitchen- also POWER WALKING distance from downtown- great Chimichanga's!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 17:18:19 (permalink)
    Sorry to contradict you WJ but Everything in the whole valley is accessable by cabs including TeePee's. We traded in our horses for Autos about 1930! We even have Talking Picture Shows!
    Carolina's and Taco's de Juarez are more than a Powerwalk from Downtown. Suggest taking Cabs for numerous reasons. By the time you get here, temps will be in the hi 80's and low 90's. We're already up in the 80's now. 
    No fun eating Tacos after working up a sweat.  Mrs Whites & Lo Lo's are within walking distance but would still suggest cabs just to be safe.

i95,
    There have been ton's written on here about Phoenix eateries. Suggest using the search function and you'll find lotsa places. If you want specifics, give me more info and I'll try to help you. Sounds like you'll be here after baseball season starts. Chase Field, home of the Diamondbacks, is in downtown if you want to catch a ballgame.
    http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=ari&m=4&y=2011
    If you give me your hotel info, I'll be able to make some specific recommendations for you closeby.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/03/14 17:24:46
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 17:22:17 (permalink)
    phoenix has light rail too, though that might be not up your alley.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 17:31:48 (permalink)
    bill voss

phoenix has light rail too, though that might be not up your alley.

This is true AND you can even plan a 'Light Rail Pub Crawl". The cars are nice and inexpensive.
    http://www.lightrailbeer.com/

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 18:11:52 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Sorry to contradict you WJ but Everything in the whole valley is accessable by cabs including TeePee's. We traded in our horses for Autos about 1930! We even have Talking Picture Shows!
    Carolina's and Taco's de Juarez are more than a Powerwalk from Downtown. Suggest taking Cabs for numerous reasons. By the time you get here, temps will be in the hi 80's and low 90's. We're already up in the 80's now. 
    No fun eating Tacos after working up a sweat.  Mrs Whites & Lo Lo's are within walking distance but would still suggest cabs just to be safe.

I think you might be contradicting the wrong person but I never said that anything wasn't accessible by cab.

Listen, I'm far from an athlete but I live in a state that is very health conscious.  Many of my coworkers who work out /pump iron several hours a day every day and have diets that consist of power bars and diet soda are convinced I'm one french fry short of a coronary. But it is power walking distance from downtown- I know- I did it (but not in 110 degree heat!) They're certainly walking distance and you know what it's good to go out there and GET SOME EXERCISE after eating a couple of tacos.
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/03/14 18:26:47
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 18:38:27 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Foodbme

I think you might be contradicting the wrong person but I never said that anything wasn't accessible by cab.

Listen, I'm far from an athlete- Many of my coworkers who work out /pump iron and have diets that consist of power bars and diet soda are convinced I'm one french fry short of a coronary. But it is power walking distance from downtown- I know- I did it (but not in 110 degree heat!) They're certainly walking distance and you know what it's good to go out there and GET SOME EXERCISE after eating a couple of tacos.

I didn't mean to say you can't walk it but I do suggest you don't walk it. In today's environment there's other ways to cause damage to your health in the outlying fringe areas of Downtown --like getting hit over the head for the contents of your wallet. The immediate main core downtown area where the major hotels, the ballpark etc. are is very safe but the further out you go the more risky it becomes. I good work out in the Hotel's fitness center would produce the same result and eliminate the risk factor.
    There's crazy stuff going on in the Barrio's right now. PHX is no better or worse than other major cities, but caution is the best policy. As they say in the Squad Room, "Be careful out there."
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 18:39:42 (permalink)
    gingham is the new sombrero?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 18:41:59 (permalink)
    bill voss

gingham is the new sombrero?

What does that mean?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 19:26:29 (permalink)
    Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

Listen, I'm far from an athlete- Many of my coworkers who work out /pump iron and have diets that consist of power bars and diet soda are convinced I'm one french fry short of a coronary. But it is power walking distance from downtown- I know- I did it (but not in 110 degree heat!) They're certainly walking distance and you know what it's good to go out there and GET SOME EXERCISE after eating a couple of tacos.

I didn't mean to say you can't walk it but I do suggest you don't walk it. In today's environment there's other ways to cause damage to your health in the outlying fringe areas of Downtown --like getting hit over the head for the contents of your wallet. The immediate main core downtown area where the major hotels, the ballpark etc. are is very safe but the further out you go the more risky it becomes. I good work out in the Hotel's fitness center would produce the same result and eliminate the risk factor.
    There's crazy stuff going on in the Barrio's right now. PHX is no better or worse than other major cities, but caution is the best policy. As they say in the Squad Room, "Be careful out there."

I've traveled around for nearly a quarter of a century and have never felt intimidated walking around anywhere, Downtown Phoenix and the surrounding area included. True, I would certainly not consider walking around the barrio after dark, but of course that's common sense.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 19:40:31 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

I've traveled around for nearly a quarter of a century and have never felt intimidated walking around anywhere, Downtown Phoenix and the surrounding area included. True, I would certainly not consider walking around the barrio after dark, but of course that's common sense.

As Bob Dylan wrote, "The Times, They are A-Changin" Places I would walk several years ago, I wouldn't consider walking there today. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 20:50:22 (permalink)
    Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

As Bob Dylan wrote, "The Times, They are A-Changin" Places I would walk several years ago, I wouldn't consider walking there today. 

You're right they are a changin' and for the better- Phoenix like other cities have undergone a complete rennaissance over the last 20 years or so. Many downtowns and inner city neighborhoods which were dismissed as dead 20 years ago have made resurgences .  I know I've been there.
    20 years ago I would have thought twice about walking outside the periphery of downtown Phoenix. Not now.
    i95
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 21:24:15 (permalink)
    wanderingjew You can POWER WALK to Taco's de Juaez from downtown (I'd only suggest it during the day though)

Don't discount Carolina's Mexican Kitchen- also POWER WALKING distance from downtown- great Chimichanga's!

Thanks, wj!

Foodbme

i95,
    There have been ton's written on here about Phoenix eateries. Suggest using the search function and you'll find lotsa places. If you want specifics, give me more info and I'll try to help you. Sounds like you'll be here after baseball season starts. Chase Field, home of the Diamondbacks, is in downtown if you want to catch a ballgame.

Foodbme, you da' man (or woman -- I don't know you). Anyhoo, two quick additional questions:

(1) Have you ever eaten at Old Pueblo Cafe in Litchfield Park? (I've got AZ friends who rave about the place and such may be my first dinner in town.) 

(2) And what are the decent if not regional food offerings at Chase Field (where the Diamondbacks are, indeed, playing a pre-season game while I'm in town)?

Thanks!

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 21:32:46 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

You're right they are a changin' and for the better- Phoenix like other cities have undergone a complete rennaissance over the last 20 years or so. Many downtowns and inner city neighborhoods which were dismissed as dead 20 years ago have made resurgences .  I know I've been there.
    20 years ago I would have thought twice about walking outside the periphery of downtown Phoenix. Not now.

WJ,
    I don't know when the last time was when you were here. I read the papers and see the news every day. I drive thru the fringe downtown areas frequently and I can assure you the lower income areas and the barrios, are not a place where a non-Hispanic wants to be after Dusk. The Drug Wars and the Illegal Immigrant issues have made these areas unsafe today. It's a different world there today than it was even a year ago. The main Downtown area has enjoyed a wonderful Rebirth and the Corridor going north from Downtown is growing and improving very nicely and is safe. The areas along the new Light Rail Line are developing. You can ride the Light Rail to Tempe and enjoy the Mill Av area. People ride the Light Rail into town to go to the Dbacks baseball games & the Suns Basketball games and it drops you off right at the venues. The ASU Downtown Campus is blossoming. The Convention Center has tripled in size and is drawing major events. Live theater is alive and well. There are many good things happening downtown. There's just some fringe areas that a sensable person should avoid.
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 21:46:08 (permalink)

. I read the papers and see the news every day. I drive thru the fringe downtown areas frequently and I can assure you the lower income areas and the barrios, are not a place where a non-Hispanic wants to be after Dusk. The Drug Wars and the Illegal Immigrant issues have made these areas unsafe today.

That's an extremely racist statement. Illegal immigrants mean dangerous?  Paranoid and racist.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/14 22:53:28 (permalink)
    i95

wanderingjew You can POWER WALK to Taco's de Juaez from downtown (I'd only suggest it during the day though)

Thanks, wj!

Foodbme

i95,

Foodbme, you da' man (or woman -- I don't know you). Anyhoo, two quick additional questions:

(1) Have you ever eaten at Old Pueblo Cafe in Litchfield Park? (I've got AZ friends who rave about the place and such may be my first dinner in town.) 

(2) And what are the decent if not regional food offerings at Chase Field (where the Diamondbacks are, indeed, playing a pre-season game while I'm in town)?

Thanks!

i95'
    I'm a Guy last time I checked!  I've heard of Old Pueblo Cafe but never been there. I checked a bunch of reviews on the place and here's a synopsis. Sonoran style food which means Burritos, Enchaladas, Tacos, Salsas.
    Most people thought the price was right. Food rated from average to above average. Some said not flavorful enough. Family friendly. Pretty good Margaritas and most all liked the Salsa & Chips. Service generally good. Karioke at night and some other entertainment. Atmosphere was fine. Should be good for a casual gathering with Friends. A few Margaritas and you'll be doing the Mexican Hat Dance! 
    Another place I'd highly recommend is the Wigwam Resort in Litchfield Park. It's very close to the Old Pueblo. It's the FIRST resort ever built in the Phoenix area. It was recently purchased by a group that includes Jerry Colangelo, former owner of the Dbacks & Suns. They did $7 Million in renovations and it's a beautiful example of Desert Resort living. JRPfeff and his wife recently stayed there and they loved it. They have excellent restaurants there, both upscale and casual and definitely worth a visit if only for a drink (Or two!) and to see a beautiful Western Resort. http://www.wigwamresort.com/
    On to the Old Ball Game!
    You mentioned you would be here for a pre-season game. They hold their Pre-season games at their new training facility up in Scottsdale. It's brand new and rated as the Best training facility in MLB. They Share it with the Colorado Rockies. Here's the web site.
    http://www.saltriverfields.com/ 
    It was built on an Indian reservation. There's a Casino, restaurants and hotel nearby for food & Drink. If you are here after the season starts then the games will be downtown at Chase Field.
    http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=ari
    Suggest you check your and their schedules to be sure I give you places at the right venue. Report back please!
    i95
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/15 09:00:15 (permalink)
    Great intel, Foodbme. Thank you. Wigwam looks perfect for at least a visit if not pre-dinner drinks. And you're correct about the March 28th Diamondbacks game: it's not being played at Chase Field but at Salt River Fields.

Does light rail connect between downtown Phoenix and the aforementioned Scottsdale training facility
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/15 12:23:58 (permalink)
    i95

Great intel, Foodbme. Thank you. Wigwam looks perfect for at least a visit if not pre-dinner drinks. And you're correct about the March 28th Diamondbacks game: it's not being played at Chase Field but at Salt River Fields.

Does light rail connect between downtown Phoenix and the aforementioned Scottsdale training facility

Light Rail does not go that far yet. Only way to get there is by car or Taxi or the Metro Bus Lines but I know nothing about how the busses run. Here's the schedules for the entire Metro System, Light Rail Included.
    http://www.valleymetro.org/
     It's about 15 miles from Downtown to the Fields.  Get a couple guys together to split the cab fare and it shouldn't be too expensive. If you can get there it's supposed to be something special as ball parks go.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Phoenix 2011/03/31 15:40:50 (permalink)
    i95,
    Let's have a report on your trip to Phoenix! Inquiring minds would like to know!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1