Phoenix pizza better than Brooklyn pizza ???

Author
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
2007/04/07 16:44:19 (permalink)

Phoenix pizza better than Brooklyn pizza ???

Thanks for the great report on Grimaldi's. And to say that the pie here is better than in the Big Apple...Priceless! Must be the water.

First this backwoods cowtown beats the Yankees in the World Series to start off Steinbrenner's current World Championship dry spell, and now we have better pizza than NY?

I do declare, will wonders never cease!

6 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: Phoenix pizza better than Brooklyn pizza ??? 2007/04/07 17:39:27 (permalink)
    I suggest that it's more like, better than one particular pizzeria in New York than better than New York.
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 448
    RE: Phoenix pizza better than Brooklyn pizza ??? 2007/04/07 18:04:46 (permalink)
    I thought the review said, "compares favorably." I've had one in the North Scottsdale location and was impressed. I'd return on my next visit.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    RE: Phoenix pizza better than Brooklyn pizza ??? 2007/04/07 19:43:49 (permalink)
    Keep dreamin DD

You know you need the good clean hudson river water to make pizza dough authentic!

The best you can hope for is comparable

cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Phoenix pizza better than Brooklyn pizza ??? 2007/04/07 20:13:05 (permalink)
    It's just amazing there's edible pizza in Arizona. That's it. One place that's maybe in the same league as 1,000s in NY.
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Phoenix pizza better than Brooklyn pizza ??? 2007/04/07 22:23:05 (permalink)

Now, obviously this rooster is crowing when opportunity knocks, as it is not often a food critic on the level of the Sterns makes such a claim as:

...in Old Town Scottsdale...in our experience the pizza is superior to the pies found at the Brooklyn original.

.....For some reason, the Brooklyn crust just doesn't have the same depth of flavor, and can be flabby-textured, in our opinion. And we always fall for superior fresh bread.

What Scottsdale's Grimaldi's lacks in character, it makes up for in first-class pizza.

It's just nice to see that someone out there gives the 5th largest city in the country it's just desserts. We are well known for our Mexican restaurants and Native American treats, but this town has some absolutely world class restaurants that live up to the best in other "serfistikated" cities back east (and the Northwest.)

Everyone touts Pizzaria Bianco as being the holy grail of pizza in the Phoenix area, but for my money, I would rather have Grimaldi's, Ray's, NYPD, Oregano's or Vito's any day of the week.

Since I have never set foot in NYC, and probably never will, I can only go by what I've eaten (which includes umpteen trips through Italy) and by what others tell me, and I appreciate the review by the Stern's to shed a little light on what my great city has to offer in the way of pizza pie.

cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Phoenix pizza better than Brooklyn pizza ??? 2007/04/07 22:31:29 (permalink)
    DD, well said. And I would definitely want to try all those places you mentioned. It just seems bizarre. But there's lots of transplants.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1