Hot!Pick My Dinner (in Pittsburgh)

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2563
Re:Pick My Dinner (in Pittsburgh) 2014/07/23 16:07:15 (permalink)
Ralph,

Did you and your beer drinking friends ever try The Strip Brewery? It was part-owned by a Westinghouse engineer I dealt with. Great beer, location and food. I don't know how they failed.

They had a really hoppy IPA that was one of the first like that I had ever had. I actually carried a growler of it on my flight back to Milwaukee one time. Those were the days, before 9/11.

The other place I remember is the church they turned into a brewpub. You may see the start of a pattern here.

Jim
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 872
Re:Pick My Dinner (in Pittsburgh) 2014/07/23 16:41:00 (permalink)
I've never heard of The Strip Brewery. A Google search states that it opened in 1997, when I was already in Pittsburgh, but it completely escaped my notice.

Church Brew Works was one of the first microbreweries I ever tried, but I've never been wholeheartedly enthusiastic about it. It's nifty that they're making their own beer, and it's a beautiful space. But it's very noisy unless you sit outside, and none of the beers have really caught my fancy.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Pick My Dinner (in Pittsburgh) 2014/07/28 09:16:30 (permalink)
Another Monday when I'm on my own. Where shall I eat? Anyone want to join me?
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Pick My Dinner (in Pittsburgh) 2014/07/28 12:11:53 (permalink)
I've been told that Chick'n Bubbly has just opened, so I think today will be my first taste of Korean-style fried chicken.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10083
Re:Pick My Dinner (in Pittsburgh) 2014/07/28 12:50:43 (permalink)
That sounds like an outstanding choice.  If I hadn't arrived so late from the airport this morning (1:45AM), I would join you.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Pick My Dinner (in Pittsburgh) 2014/07/29 15:17:07 (permalink)
Chick&#x27;n Bubbly by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

Chick'n Bubby's space is very small. Most of the space is taken up by the order counter and kitchen area; there are three hubcap-sized tables, five stools, and three chairs with backs.

This was apparently the first day of Chick'n Bubbly's soft opening, so they can be forgiven for not having all their ducks in a row yet. They were out of drumsticks, out of sweet and spicy sauce, and out of side items, so it was easy to choose wings with the soy garlic sauce.

It took about twenty minutes to receive my order, and people who ordered wings later received their order before I did. But again, first day. I regret that my food photos are backlit by the setting sun, but I had only one choice of where to sit.  

The chicken was excellent. The coating was extraordinarily thin and crisp, as crisp as a fresh chip. It snapped under my teeth at every bite. They were all coated in sauce, but they stayed crisp even to the last wing - although I suspect that the sauce-dipped chicken might not stay at its best for long. I would have liked to take a close-up picture of a single wing, but the sauce made my fingers so sticky that I didn't want to touch my phone; even after two napkins, my fingers were as sticky as a grubby kid's.

I'll give them a little while to settle in, because I want them a little more organized, a little less crowded, and stocked with side dishes. But I will definitely give them another try.
post edited by Ralph Melton - 2014/07/29 15:18:25
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1