The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Picked up some kielbasa today

John63

• Total Posts: 23
Picked up some kielbasa today Sat, 06/6/09 1:29 PM (permalink)
I picked up some smoked Polski Kielbasa from Dareks Polish deli on Kearney ave in Kearney NJ today. I used to work in the area and stopped there every other week. I am making a huge pot of kielbasa and kraut later. Pics to follow. I also bought some kraut that is imported from Poland. This is one of my favorites of the encased meats. Cheers, John

John63

Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sat, 06/6/09 8:50 PM (permalink)
    Added to the kielbasa and kraut is a red and green pepper, red and yellow onion, brown sugar, caraway seeds and two granny smith apples. Delicious
    Attached Image(s)

John63

Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sat, 06/6/09 8:53 PM (permalink)

Bobs

• Total Posts: 244
        Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sat, 06/6/09 9:44 PM (permalink)
        John- I am so envious! I am a polish guy originally from jersey who has lived in west TN for the last forty years. How about trading some kielbasa for some authentic pork barbecue?

John63

Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sat, 06/6/09 10:15 PM (permalink)
          My pops was half Polish/half Irish. This was one of his favorites. Phase two is tomorrow. I am making bangers and mash. I am new here. But I am willing to try and help the other members if I can.

John63

Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sat, 06/6/09 10:20 PM (permalink)
            Bobs

John- I am so envious! I am a polish guy originally from jersey who has lived in west TN for the last forty years. How about trading some kielbasa for some authentic pork barbecue?

I am curious. My dad had a friend from Copperhill. You anywhere close to there.

Beverly K

• Total Posts: 81
              Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sat, 06/6/09 10:40 PM (permalink)
              You guys are just torturing me. I'm Polish and my dad would get our kielbasa from 'the Polish butcher' in Newark, where all his family got their's. Don't ask me where, as it's been so long. Everyone concerned is long gone.

Nowdays, whenever I get a craving, I head to the New Eastern Market in York and pick up a kielbasa from one of the Amish stands that get it from a supplier in Philadelphia. It's close, but not quite there. The meat is ground too fine from what I remember, but the taste is pretty much the same.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
                Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sun, 06/7/09 12:18 AM (permalink)
                Beverly K

You guys are just torturing me. I'm Polish and my dad would get our kielbasa from 'the Polish butcher' in Newark, where all his family got their's. Don't ask me where, as it's been so long. Everyone concerned is long gone.

Nowdays, whenever I get a craving, I head to the New Eastern Market in York and pick up a kielbasa from one of the Amish stands that get it from a supplier in Philadelphia. It's close, but not quite there. The meat is ground too fine from what I remember, but the taste is pretty much the same.

If you're willing to travel a litte, here's some sources:

http://ostrowskifamous.homestead.com/index2.html
                http://www.stoltzfusmeats.com/products.php?cat=14
                http://www.kielbasi.com/smokedkiel.htm

John63

Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sun, 06/7/09 9:11 AM (permalink)
                  Beverly K

There is still a few Polish butchers in Newark. And from what I know of Kielbasa the meat can be ground coarse or fine. I like the chunky coarse style better.John

Born in OKC

• Total Posts: 428
                    Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sun, 06/7/09 9:58 AM (permalink)
                    I know very little about kielbasa except that I've like different sausages called by that name for over fifty years.  I went through this thread and tried to list the different varieties or styles that are mentioned. 

Aside from the meat or meats from which it is made, the distinctions seem to be:

Coarse or fine grind

Extra lean

Regular or "hot" seasoning

Double garlic

Double smoked

Smoked cheese

If we were in Poland, or another country where similar sausage was developed, would we find the same or other distinctions?

Are there different seasoning recipes that vary by area so that a knowledgable person would say that one product was from the north or south or a specific city?

Same sort of question about casings.  Are different diameter casings used in different places?

Are there special forms that are found only in the old country?  Or varieties that are no longer made because of changing taste.

Anything you can tell me (us) is appreciated.  I'd like to know about any website that explains differences.   Thanks.

MrTudo

• Total Posts: 9
                      Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Tue, 12/22/09 7:58 PM (permalink)
                      I bought kielbasi from the Buffalo Market in Buffalo NY and had it overnighted.  What a disapointment.
                      I also ordered a couple hundred dollars  worth of krusciki from e.m chrusciki bakery in the same place. They ripped me off! I ordered it last week, paid $250 bucks for it to be express mailed for Xmas gifts and not only did they not express mail it, they told me they "put it in the mail" ! Meanwhile it's 12/22 and even if it did come in, it's now stale and in little pieces. And that would be the best case scenario. When I asked for the tracking number I was told they were too busy.
                      Too busy? Then finally told me they "put it in the mail".
                      BEWARE of that place.
                      My Wife is now making it and hopefully we can get it express mailed tomorrow for Christmas Eve delivery.

starfire62

• Total Posts: 220
                        Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Tue, 12/22/09 9:48 PM (permalink)
                        i think you ordered it from the broadway market.that place is awful,the area s changed in the last 30 yrs.if you read the em chursicki box theyre made in nyc somewhere.if you want good sausage ,redlinskis butchershop has good sausage and they ship it.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Tue, 12/22/09 9:51 PM (permalink)
                          Hopefully you didn't order over the past weekend when they had their blizzard... Seems everything in that neck of the woods is on delay shipping wise.  But if they seriously screwed up, I'd stop payment with reason.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
                            Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Tue, 12/22/09 11:41 PM (permalink)
                            Born in OKC

I know very little about kielbasa except that I've like different sausages called by that name for over fifty years.  I went through this thread and tried to list the different varieties or styles that are mentioned. 

Aside from the meat or meats from which it is made, the distinctions seem to be:

Coarse or fine grind

Extra lean

Regular or "hot" seasoning

Double garlic

Double smoked

Smoked cheese

If we were in Poland, or another country where similar sausage was developed, would we find the same or other distinctions?

Are there different seasoning recipes that vary by area so that a knowledgable person would say that one product was from the north or south or a specific city?

Same sort of question about casings.  Are different diameter casings used in different places?

Are there special forms that are found only in the old country?  Or varieties that are no longer made because of changing taste.

Anything you can tell me (us) is appreciated.  I'd like to know about any website that explains differences.   Thanks.

The Answer to all your questions is YES!

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/Polish-sausages/polish-sausage-history.htm
                            <message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 12/22/09 11:43 PM>

joclyn

• Total Posts: 360
                              Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Wed, 12/23/09 2:27 AM (permalink)
                              @ foodbme:  THANK YOU!!!  for posting those links!!  the stoltzfus meats has a store in the town next to where i work...guess where i'm going tomorrow?!

i have not had really good kielbasa - that which compares to what we used to get when i was a kid, that is - since i lived in jersey...there was a place in bellmawr (iirc) that made it the right way...really hardpressed to find anything in the area i'm in now...and there's a big polish community here, too, so it's bizarre that there's no good kielbasa around here somewhere! 

the one place i usually get it at gets it from somewhere in philly - and it's definitely not the same recipe as what my family always had when i was a kid...it's good.  and it'll do.  it's just not quite *right*

also liked the link for the history - thanks for that, too!!

i'm so looking forward to trying the stoltzfus version.  *licks chops just thinking about it*

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                                Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Wed, 12/23/09 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                My GreatUncle used to bring us a great homemade kielbasa from TEHTLOCHS, a store / buthcer shop in Dupont,Pa., they have been closed for sometime now, but they were a family favorite for many years. Buchowicz in Newark,NJ, makes a very good kielbasa, it can be found in most ShopRite stores in Hudson & Bergen county.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                  Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Wed, 12/23/09 7:58 PM (permalink)
                                  Yes, it's great to be in NJ when it's time to shop for Kielbasa, like around the holidays. So many choices. Usually I go to either Continental Provisions or European Market in Old Bridge or Pulaski in Linden, but for a change of pace today I went North, to Stefan's in Clifton for the first time.

http://www.stefanandsons.com/s/

Stefan's is another source for excellent Kielbasa in NJ! In addition to a Kielbasa I also bought a pound of thier hot dogs, which we will have sometime next week.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                                    Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Wed, 12/23/09 8:43 PM (permalink)
                                    Let me know about the hot dogs.

tommyeats

• Total Posts: 277
                                      Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Wed, 12/23/09 9:14 PM (permalink)
                                      ken8038

Yes, it's great to be in NJ when it's time to shop for Kielbasa, like around the holidays. So many choices. Usually I go to either Continental Provisions or European Market in Old Bridge or Pulaski in Linden, but for a change of pace today I went North, to Stefan's in Clifton for the first time.

http://www.stefanandsons.com/s/

Stefan's is another source for excellent Kielbasa in NJ! In addition to a Kielbasa I also bought a pound of thier hot dogs, which we will have sometime next week.

so close to Stefan's is the town of Wallington, which has a huge Polish community, and a lot of spots for the good stuff.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                        Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Wed, 12/23/09 9:39 PM (permalink)
                                        John63

I picked up some smoked Polski Kielbasa from Dareks Polish deli on Kearney ave in Kearney NJ today. I used to work in the area and stopped there every other week. I am making a huge pot of kielbasa and kraut later. Pics to follow. I also bought some kraut that is imported from Poland. This is one of my favorites of the encased meats. Cheers, John

Just out of curiosity, why is this post flagged as Spam. Seems like an straighforward post to me from a Roadfood member.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                                          Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sat, 01/2/10 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                          Great tasting Polish food in Garfield,Wallington & Elmwood Park in NJ, some of the local deli's and shops have great homemade polish food such as bigos,pierogi, stuffed cabbage and Kielbasa.  

CoachG

• Total Posts: 5
                                            Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Sat, 01/2/10 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                            All this talk brings back some memories.  My dad grew up in Woodbridge, NJ (Middlesex County).  As both of my gradparents worked full time, their housekeeper (a Polish immigrant and wonderful woman who treated my dad and uncle like gold) was like a member of the family.

My dad still tells stories about the many times that their housekeeper would show up with a huge pot of her homemade kielbasa for the family.  Given my grandmothers lack of talent in the kitchen, this always made everyones day/week/month.

I have always enjoyed the kielbasa, onion, and cheese omlette at Mariner's Cove down at the Shore.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                              Re:Picked up some kielbasa today Fri, 01/15/10 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                              <<Let me know about the hot dogs. >>

Sorry for the delay in responding to this, but the Stefan's Hot Dogs wound up going into the freezer due to too much other leftover food over the holidays.

I grilled them last night and they were excellent! I don't think they lost anything by having been frozen; they had a real good "snap". I don't know what the beef/pork ratio is on thier dogs, but they seemed a little beefier than other meat market dogs I've had. They were on the mild side, but with good flavor.

The size was 6 to a pound, I forget the exact price but is was around $4.99 per pound. I would buy them again, no question.

The kielbasy was very tasty too, not too greasy, with a pronounced smokier taste than most others I've had.

Both the dogs and kielbasy are definately worth a trip up the Parkway to Clifton.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com