Pickle Beans

Author
pamelakrest
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
2009/05/26 00:19:02 (permalink)

Pickle Beans

I was basically raised in Southeastern Kentucky (Hazard/Whitesburg area) I am wondering if anyone here knows of anyone, that has pickle beans for sale??  My Grandmother made the best, but passed away tons of years ago. Pickle beans is NOT a 3bean salad lol , it's beans that have been 'pickled' in a brine, kinda like sourkraut. She also made what (she) called mixed pickles also, it was pickle beans with corn & cabbaged added to the brine. I haven't had any in years and seriously miss eating them with cornbread & fresh sliced tomatoes.
Pam

25 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/05/26 02:10:46 (permalink)
    My father was born and raised near Leitchfield (Grayson County) Kentucky, and every year he made sauerkraut for us, but he never pickled beans.   However, if you decide to make your own, I found you some recipes you might try:

The 6th reply down on the page gives a recipe for them from Joy of Cooking:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0817011122415.html

The 4th recipe down is for “Salt-Brined Dill Green Beans:
    http://blog.vegcooking.com/2007/10/pickling_part_two.php

This is another recipe that a lady found:
    http://newoldfashionedgal.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/fermented-green-bean-in-salt/
    And her second try:
    http://newoldfashionedgal.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/perfecting-fermented-green-beans/

Good luck!

post edited by 6star - 2009/05/26 02:11:50
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/05/31 16:56:24 (permalink)
    Pamelakrest-are you talking about whole, pickled string beans?  I've only eaten them as a garnish in Bloody Marys.  Boscoli and Tabasco brands sell them, but would think shipping might be a little pricy.

I did see some homemade pickled beans at a local farmer's market - maybe there are some markets near you?       
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3154
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/05/31 18:05:11 (permalink)
    From cooks.com
    PICKLED DILLY BEANS  
    2 lbs. fresh green snap beans
    4 sm. garlic cloves
    4 heads dill or 4 tsp. dry dill seeds
    1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
    2 1/2 c. white viengar
    2 1/2 c. water
    2 tbsp. kosher salt
    Wash beans and break off stem ends. Peel garlic. In 4 sterilized jars (pint size) put 1 clove garlic, 1 head or 1 tsp. dill seeds and a pinch of red pepper. Fit beans in jar, allowing 1/2 inch head room at top of each jar. (Trim beans if necessary). Bring vinegar, water and salt to a boil. Pour over beans, filling to within 1/4 inch of rim. Fasten jar tops according to manufacturer's directions and place in a boiling water bath, covering lids with 2 inches of water. Process at a hard boil for 5 minutes. Remove and cool.

6star
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/06/01 00:42:14 (permalink)
    I am not sure whether some of you folks read pamelakrest's original post carefully.  She was looking for "beans that have been 'pickled' in a brine, kinda like sourkraut", not vinegar-pickled beans (which are like a 3-bean salad).
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/06/01 00:52:15 (permalink)

I saw picled green beans in a goumet food shop years ago.  they came in a round g;ass jar about 4" tall, and packed standing up right.  Thats the only time I had ever seen them. 
    pamelakrest
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/06/02 05:21:46 (permalink)
    Yes, I was talking about being in a brine like sourkraut. It's major old school way of preserving veggies in a jar ( or crock ). I also miss pickled corn, OMG it's almost addictive as pickled beans  lol. I guess I am gonna have to make my own, I now have to find a huge crock haha
    Thanks to all who replied ( huggs)
    Pam
    kennedyrain
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/07/11 15:30:03 (permalink)
    Hey there Pamela. I just wanted to post that I just got this recipe from my grandma, she was making them up to five years ago and then has suffered some dementia. It was in her cookbook, so I will share with you what I know.

First, you cook the beans, not just blanch them. You cook them as you normally would, you can add fatback, etc if you want, just drain it out when you proceed.
    Second, in a churn, or other crock type of container, add the beans (generally about half of a bushel fit in a churn and yield 9-10 Qts), layering the beans a little at a time with a total of one cup of salt, so put a little beans, a little salt, till you are done.
    Third, put a small plate or something equivalent over the beans, and a good size rock.
    Fourth, put a towel or clean diaper cloth over the crock, allowing for space, it will grow as it ferments with foam, etc, and the cloth will absorb.
    Last, leave them without peaking for 9 days. DO NOT do this during the signs of the Bowel or the Feet, if you don't know what I am talking about then look it up in a farmers almanac, this is the way the old folks did this and if you want it exactly right, then do it that way. Proceed to can as usual...I think this can be done in waterbath instead of pressure canner since its already fermented but I will have to get back to  you on that. Hope that helps.
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/07/11 15:54:42 (permalink)
    I was given a jar this morning.  My mother has a friend who does this every summer.  The friend is very particular about the length of the beans, must be even in the jar.  I could ask for her recipe.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/07/12 01:13:42 (permalink)
    They're really good! They're the first thing that goes every year @ our bazaar for the humane society.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/07/27 09:24:34 (permalink)
    susanll offered to ask a friend for a recipe and I for one certainly hope she will be able to post that recipe.

kennedyrain mentioned a waterbath rather than pressure canning when processing and I hope that can be verified also.

pamelakrest mentioned picking corn and I hope more details can be given on that also.

For both of these items, beans and corn, do you rinse before serving, use as an appetizer, he4at with butter, add to soup, what?
    pamelakrest
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/01 00:17:12 (permalink)
    Personally, I drain them, add to hot bacon grease in a skillet....heat till hot.... grab a hoe cake & sliced tomatoes... supper YUMMM
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/04 17:50:25 (permalink)
    I pickle green beans for my wife to use in her bloody mary's.  Standard way to pickle - fresh green beans, blanched, packed in jars, add seasoned  warmed vinegar (I up the amount of pickling spice & cayenne).  I also include a couple of whole hot peppers, also blanched.  Fill jar and seal.  I always keep them in the fridge.

cy
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/04 22:25:54 (permalink)
    Ah, Cy - in my world that would be the only reason to pickle a green bean - for Bloody Mary's!  Your wife is truly blessed - add a hot pickled okra to it and that's all you need for your recommended daily requirement of vegetables.
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/05 17:08:09 (permalink)
    Funny you should mention pickled okra!  My grandfather hauled fresh vegetables to Bruce Foods, Trappey's, and other "pepper plants" in the south Louisiana area from 1946 - 1985.  He would bring home gallon jars of pickled okra, and other pickled items, including hot sauce, quite often.  I grew up eating handfuls of pickled okra.  I liked to open them up, peel the seeds from them with my teeth, and then eat the skin.  I know, sounds yucky, but along with a bologna sandwich with lots of mustard & hot sauce and a glass of Tang, this was heaven...

cy
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/05 22:19:14 (permalink)
    I've purchased many many jars of Trappey's products, mostly the hot sauces and pickled okra.  And the spouse has to have the peppers in vinegar to splash on greens.

How long has it been since you actually had the bologna sandwich with the trimmings and Tang??  Is Tang still made these days?  I can't recall seeing in for a long time.
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/06 12:25:48 (permalink)
    I have to admit that I gave up bologna a long time back, but I still enjoy a ham & mustard sandwich on white Evangeline Maid bread (toasted) with lots of hot sauce as a midnight snack!

As far as Tang, it's still sold down here.  Haven't tried any in a while...

cy
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/06 22:46:46 (permalink)

I did some research on Tang - owned by Kraft Foods and now available in 38 flavors.  I must check on this on my next trip to the markets.

Kraft also says that it can be mixed with Jim Beam to make a cocktail named "Moon Beam" - that sounds like it would really be good with a ham, mustard and hot sauce sandwich with a few pickled okra on the side.
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/07 18:22:00 (permalink)
    Since my alcohol of choice is beer, I won't try the Beam & Tang, but I know my dad would!!!

I bet, though, that Tang & vodka would be right up my wife's alley...

I enjoy pickled vegetables, including cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, etc with many dishes.  A bit of the pickling liquid is good on any rice & gravy or potatoes & gravy.  I also like hot pickled veggies with baked chicken, ham, beef, or really any meat.  I find the tang of the vinegar (get it, Tang!) really brings out the flavor of the meat.

cy
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/07 18:36:15 (permalink)
    I also enjoy any vegetables pickled but I can't do the pickled eggs or pig's feet.  I bought a jar of Mezetta's Olive Anipasto I'm going to try tonight - olives and peppers marinated in garlic, herbs and Chardonnay.

Beer is also my beverage of choice - except for Bloody Mary's and wine with dinner, I rarely drink anything else.
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/08/09 13:35:25 (permalink)
    I also enjoy a good Bloody Mary, but have trouble finding one I like in a bar.  We make our own at home.  I like a lot of spice & pepper in mine, but low on Vodka.

I love pickled eggs, but they don't love me.

Pickled pig's feet are gross, but I like them stewed for a long time, good gravy, over rice.

I need to get into olives more...
    ZumminHummin
    Junior Burger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/09/22 10:07:57 (permalink)
    Pickled Beans and Sauerkraut are important enough in our family that my mother, Margaret Dobson, and her twin sister saw fit to include recipes for each in the book they wrote about our family history.  I've provided both recipes for the sake of comparison.
    Note the final warning, "Do not make pickled beans when the signs are in the bowels or secrets."  During my mother and father's generation, the enlightened and educated more or less abandoned planting and canning by the signs (see Farmer's Almanac if you are unfamiliar with the concept of signs of the Zodiac and their effects on farming and food preparation: www.farmersalmanac.com/zodiac-astrology-astronomy).  One year Mother decided to ignore the signs and pickled her green beans when the signs were in the bowels or secrets. The result was a rotted mess.  None of us accepted that the signs had anything to do with the failure, but, just in case, she never again defied the signs. 
    The following are from: The Family Stories of Mamie Cleo TIppens and Her Children, written and edited by Marjorie Bobo and Margaret Dobson: 
    How to Make Pickled Beans by Marjorie Tippens Bobo
    Wash, string and break beans.  Put in a container and cook until well done (not soft).  The secret to making good pickled beans is getting the beans tender before you put them in your churn.  Set off stove to cool.
    Put a cloth bag or a pillow case inside your churn (stone crock) to hold the beans.  Put beans in your churn a few quarts at a time salting as you put them in.  Use two (2) level teaspoons of plain (not iodized) salt to the quart.  The water that you cook the beans in should be added to the beans alternately with the beans and salt.  When all the beans are in the churn twist the top of the bag and press down to get all the air out.  Then tie the top of bag.  This will make it easy to keep your beans below the level of the water.  Put a white cloth over the top of the bag of beans and press down around the bag.
    Weight down the bag of beans well.  (You may use three (3) or four (4) saucers turned bottom side up on top of the beans.  Then place cups turned the same way on top of the saucers.)  See that the beans are well covered with water.  If additional water is needed during the time the beans are pickling, use salted tap water.  Tie a cloth tightly over the top of the churn.  Do not let the cloth that is tied over the churn touch the cloth over the beans.  If you do, it will act as a wick to remove the water from the churn.
    Place the churn in a warm shady place.  The beans should be pickled in one (1) week.  Test to see if they are as sour as you want them to be.  When the beans get as sour as you prefer, put the cold beans in glass jars.  Put in a pressure cooker.  Bring to five (5) pounds to pressure for seven (7) minutes.  This should seal the beans.
    Do not make pickled beans when the signs are in the bowels or secrets.
    How to Make Kraut by Margaret Tippens Dobson
    Select fresh cut cabbage.  Chop up your cabbage with a kraut chopper. (You can do this in a food processor.  Don't get it too fine.)
    Put a cloth bag or a pillow case in the churn (stone crock) to hold the kraut.  Put cabbage in your churn two or three quarts at a time using two level teaspoons of salt to the quart.  Keep water over the cabbage as you fill the churn.  When all the cabbage is in the churn, twist the top of the bag and press down to get all the air out.  Then tie the top of the bag.  This will make it easy to keep the cabbage below the level of the water.  Be sure that the water does not get low on the cabbage.  If it should get low add plain salted tap water.  Place a white cloth over the top of the bag of cabbage and press down around the bag.
    Weight the bag down so the cabbage won't rise above the water.  (You can weight it down with three (3) or four (4) saucers turned upside down.  Then put three (3) or four (4) cups upside down over the saucers.)
    Tie a cloth tightly over the churn.  Do not let the cloth that is over the top of the churn touch the cloth over the cabbage.  If you do it will act as a wick to remove the water from the churn.
    Place the churn in a shady warm place.  The kraut should be sour in one week.  Test to see.  If it is not as sour as you prefer, let it stay in the churn until it is.
    Do not make kraut when the signs are in the bowels or secrets.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/09/22 11:50:19 (permalink)
    The above URL for the explanation of the signs of the zodiac gives you a "Page not found" message.  The correct URL is:
    http://www.farmersalmanac.com/zodiac-astrology-astronomy

Added with edit:
    Although my father never made pickle beans, he did make kraut by this method, with a few minor changes.  The shredded cabbage (cut with a wooden mandolin-style slicer/shredder) was not placed in a cloth bag, but was put directly in the 5 gallon crock, and then weighted down with an upside-down dinner plate which had a washed large smooth rock placed on top.  I don't remember the kraut ever being made outside, but instead doing its fermenting in our basement laundry room.  This probably took longer than if it had been made outside, but I am sure it was cleaner this way (no bird poop or insects) and also not subject to rainy weather.

post edited by 6star - 2009/09/22 12:16:08
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/09/22 13:15:32 (permalink)
    I'm still a little confused...are we talking about pickled 
    green beans or little beans like navy/pinto?
    kajidi
    Junior Burger
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/09/22 16:07:06 (permalink)
    I'm ZumminHummin's kid brother, and I can say unequivocally that we are talking about green beans, and in our mother's case, specifically White Half Runners.
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    Re:Pickle Beans 2009/09/22 16:59:04 (permalink)
    wow, here in SC it's pretty easy to find pickled green beans, okra, etc.

I would, as suggested above, try farmer's markets, or better yet,
    start making your own.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1