Pickled Eggs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/22 12:27:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme
Almost every grocery store in America sells Lard. Maybe not in25# buckets, But they sell it.

I'm not sure that's so any more. For quite a while I had trouble finding it in mainstream supermarkets outside the south and southwest, but it seems to be making a comeback. Maybe it's because we've discovered that trans-fat (as often found in margarine) is even more deadly than saturated fat.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10250
RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/22 19:14:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme
Almost every grocery store in America sells Lard. Maybe not in25# buckets, But they sell it.

I'm not sure that's so any more. For quite a while I had trouble finding it in mainstream supermarkets outside the south and southwest, but it seems to be making a comeback. Maybe it's because we've discovered that trans-fat (as often found in margarine) is even more deadly than saturated fat.

It's usually in the Butter/Margarine section in a 1# package that looks like a pound of butter. I know a guy who ate Lard Sandwiches. Grossed me out!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/22 19:19:50 (permalink)
It's one of the kitchen basics---Salt, sugar, flour & lard And to answer a previous question, It Does make for better pie crusts
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13495
RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/22 20:09:32 (permalink)
I do not do it but it also makes much better fried chicken so I am told.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Jamie_1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Pickled Eggs 2010/11/22 00:34:15 (permalink)
"Filet Mignon"

• Total Posts : 4183

• RE: Pickled Eggs Thu, 07/19/07 4:34 PM ()

I made these when I had my bar. I'd put 'em in a big 'ol Glass jar up on the bar and sell 'em like hotcakes. Cost 13 cents to make and sold them for 50 cents each. Would sell 4-6 dozen a day. Kept the "EGG NEST" money in a "Special" Account. Bought a new car every three years and paid cash for it. Occasionally, I'd make the Beet Variety. they didn't sell as fast as these did.

INGREDIENTS:
    12 extra large eggs
    1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
    1 1/2 cups water 1 tablespoon pickling spice
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 Bay Leafs
    Optional - Add a whole hot pepper or dry minced onion flakes or crushed red pepper or hot sauce to the brine for a little different taste. Your choice.

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water and just a splash of white vinegar and a dash of salt. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool and peel.
    2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together the vinegar, water and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and mix in the garlic and bay leaf. Remove from heat.
    3. Transfer the eggs to sterile containers. Fill the containers with the hot vinegar mixture, seal and refrigerate 8 to 10 days before serving.

Hi everyone, this is an old post so just throwing it out to the group...just wondering once you make these pickled eggs, how do you "keep them" to sell and how do you set them out appropriately?  Probably can only be sitting out for a certain amount of time and have to be at a certain temp while sitting out  waiting for a customer to see the jar and ask for one...just assuming you have to be pretty careful with something like eggs.  Or do you just put it on your menu and get it out when someone asks for one?  This is probably a goofy question, I've canned plenty of things, but don't have much experience with anything pickled. 

Thanks!
    Jamie
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2010/11/22 00:53:10 (permalink)
    Here are several answers, including one person who has kept them as much as a year refrigerated:
    http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/162899
    Jamie_1
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2010/11/22 01:12:30 (permalink)
    Thanks! Pretty much general agreement at that link that if the customers are going to buy them, they should last long enough to be sold! 

And thinking about it, I guess you put an unopened jar on the counter, and keep the opened one in the fridge for anyone that orders.  My hot dog cart will be indoors and basically a permanent stand....not sure if this is something I could sell from it though since I'd have a cooler with ice but not necessarily a refridgerator on site.  Putting the jars on ice in the cooler just like the soda should work though I'd think...since I'm new with my foodcart, I will probably just ask my HD if that's something I can store in my cooler along with cans of soda.  But any thoughts from anyone who's done it would be great too.  I'm not sure if people would want to buy them if the stand were outdoors but for some reason I feel like indoors they'd want them more...

Thanks,
    Jamie
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2010/11/22 01:16:37 (permalink)
    Jamie_1

Thanks! Pretty much general agreement at that link that if the customers are going to buy them, they should last long enough to be sold! 

And thinking about it, I guess you put an unopened jar on the counter, and keep the opened one in the fridge for anyone that orders.  My hot dog cart will be indoors and basically a permanent stand....not sure if this is something I could sell from it though since I'd have a cooler with ice but not necessarily a refridgerator on site.  Putting the jars on ice in the cooler just like the soda should work though I'd think...since I'm new with my foodcart, I will probably just ask my HD if that's something I can store in my cooler along with cans of soda.  But any thoughts from anyone who's done it would be great too.  I'm not sure if people would want to buy them if the stand were outdoors but for some reason I feel like indoors they'd want them more...

Thanks,
    Jamie

Cold is Cold regardless if it's in a refrigerartor or on ice. No problem.
    Jamie_1
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2010/11/22 01:19:07 (permalink)
    OK, good to know, thanks for the replies. 
    Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1