Pickled Eggs

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
2007/07/19 11:54:28 (permalink)

Pickled Eggs

Hi everyone....I was wondering if any of you have a recipe for making pickled eggs. I thought it would be a great summer time treat. Every time I have seen them they are usually pink (from beet Juice?). Thanks again for all of your responses

38 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 12:07:22 (permalink)
    Here's a link to a previous post which includes a recipe for the beet-colored ones:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9176&SearchTerms=pickled+eggs

Hope you enjoy them.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 12:17:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Ruby Rose that is exactly what I was looking for!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10209
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 16:34:57 (permalink)
    I made these when I had my bar. I'd put 'em in a big 'ol Glass jar up on the bar and sell 'em like hotcakes. Cost 13 cents to make and sold them for 50 cents each. Would sell 4-6 dozen a day. Kept the "EGG NEST" money in a "Special" Account. Bought a new car every three years and paid cash for it. Occasionally, I'd make the Beet Variety. they didn't sell as fast as these did.

INGREDIENTS:
    12 extra large eggs
    1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
    1 1/2 cups water 1 tablespoon pickling spice
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 Bay Leafs
    Optional - Add a whole hot pepper or dry minced onion flakes or crushed red pepper or hot sauce to the brine for a little different taste. Your choice.

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water and just a splash of white vinegar and a dash of salt. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool and peel.
    2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together the vinegar, water and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and mix in the garlic and bay leaf. Remove from heat.
    3. Transfer the eggs to sterile containers. Fill the containers with the hot vinegar mixture, seal and refrigerate 8 to 10 days before serving.
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 19:22:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the pickled egg thought. Prepped two quarts this afternoon. One for wife and I and the better looking jar for the family who give us "free range brown eggs". As usual, I consider recipes as suggestions, not instructions. We'll see how they turn out in a few days.
    RubyRose
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 19:51:59 (permalink)
    Foodbme, I wish they still sold pickled eggs like yours in bars nowadays. When I was younger, they often had a gallon jar of them right next to a gallon jar of pickled ring bologna slices. Thanks for reminding me of them. I'm going to make some of the white pickled eggs this weekend. Did you ever add a slice of horseradish root to them?
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 20:08:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RubyRose

Foodbme, I wish they still sold pickled eggs like yours in bars nowadays. When I was younger, they often had a gallon jar of them right next to a gallon jar of pickled ring bologna slices. Thanks for reminding me of them. I'm going to make some of the white pickled eggs this weekend. Did you ever add a slice of horseradish root to them?

When I've been in PA Dutch areas, I know I've seen them in big jars in some stores, esp. off Rt. 78 (I know these places because they also sell UNIQUE pretzels!)

RR: You must have seen them, no (Nein?)
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 20:23:39 (permalink)
    Good Heavens. Pickled eggs? Pig's feet? They are available in gallon sized jars (and probably larger) down in my area. How many 'yall want?
    RubyRose
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 21:00:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

When I've been in PA Dutch areas, I know I've seen them in big jars in some stores, esp. off Rt. 78 (I know these places because they also sell UNIQUE pretzels!)

RR: You must have seen them, no (Nein?)

Long story but in a knee-jerk reaction to a chain steakhouse who offered free peanuts in the shell to patrons, a local regulation was passed that food offered at a bar either had to be in sealed packages (there went the baskets of hard pretzels!) or come from the kitchen.

Great example of shooting your toe off to cure a hangnail.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2295
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 21:19:29 (permalink)
    ...but peanuts in the shell ARE in a sealed package!
    RubyRose
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 21:32:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

...but peanuts in the shell ARE in a sealed package!

So are the egg yolks.
    rouxdog
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/19 22:10:41 (permalink)
    RUBYROSE, The eggs I prepared today, I put in the kitchen sink, however, didn't think of horseradish! Next time.
    Ole Rouxdog
    Adjudicator, I'd sure appreciate some bar counter pickled pigs feet, pickled eggs and some of them pickled fat weenies. A gallon of each if convenient.
    Much abliged,
    Ole Rouxdog
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/20 00:14:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Good Heavens. Pickled eggs? Pig's feet? They are available in gallon sized jars (and probably larger) down in my area. How many 'yall want?

Yep all the older Ethnic areas have them. It's a question of whether you want to pay wholesale or retail!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/20 00:15:51 (permalink)
    quote:

Nope, but not a bad idea!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/20 00:20:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rouxdog

RUBYROSE, The eggs I prepared today, I put in the kitchen sink, however, didn't think of horseradish! Next time.
    Ole Rouxdog
    Adjudicator, I'd sure appreciate some bar counter pickled pigs feet, pickled eggs and some of them pickled fat weenies. A gallon of each if convenient.
    Much abliged,
    Ole Rouxdog

Rouxdog,
    Do you have any Smart & Finals in your area or Costco's? They usually have them.
    rouxdog
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/20 01:23:29 (permalink)
    foodbme,my friend, ain't no Costco around these parts. We got a Sam's, just a 240 mile round trip. When wife and I retired out of Chicago, I stated "I wanna get away from all this".SURE DID!!!!!
    We're happy and having fun.

Ole Rouxdog
    unabashed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/20 02:49:55 (permalink)
    just cider vinegar,onions,salt,pepper,sugar,whole cloves,pickeled red beats(detriot reds from garden)2 dozen small hard boiled eggs topped off with water and 2 weeks to pickel in a glass gallon jar.
    the cloves make the difference.
    thats how I do it enjoy
    ron
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/20 08:48:03 (permalink)
    Ever have soy sauce eggs?
    Hot chili sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce. Mix together, add hard boiled eggs. Let sit in the fridge in a bowl for a day or two. Delicious!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/20 10:03:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rouxdog

foodbme,my friend, ain't no Costco around these parts. We got a Sam's, just a 240 mile round trip. When wife and I retired out of Chicago, I stated "I wanna get away from all this".SURE DID!!!!!
    We're happy and having fun.

Ole Rouxdog

Roughing it, huh? I guess one of the trade off's is No access to Pickled Pigs Feet!
    LuncheoNette
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/20 18:05:42 (permalink)
    I am from Pa Dutch country, we called them red beet eggs. I still make them here in florida, though my friends take the devil eggs at parties and leave the pickled ones sit, however if I make salads and put them in a salad everyone loves em. Go figure, I love red beet eggs and the pickled beets as well, yumm. I used canned beets, drain the juice in a sauce pan, added vinegar and sugar, I think was 1/2 cup vinegar to one cup of sugar and same for each can of beets you use. Boil and add hard boiled eggs and beets to a jar and add liquid and chill overnight at least. I grew up eating Pa dutch food so it is kinda comfort food for me.
    The soy sauce eggs sound very interesting and worth a try perhaps.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/20 18:21:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LuncheoNette

I am from Pa Dutch country, we called them red beet eggs. I still make them here in florida, though my friends take the devil eggs at parties and leave the pickled ones sit, however if I make salads and put them in a salad everyone loves em. Go figure, I love red beet eggs and the pickled beets as well, yumm. I used canned beets, drain the juice in a sauce pan, added vinegar and sugar, I think was 1/2 cup vinegar to one cup of sugar and same for each can of beets you use. Boil and add hard boiled eggs and beets to a jar and add liquid and chill overnight at least. I grew up eating Pa dutch food so it is kinda comfort food for me.
    The soy sauce eggs sound very interesting and worth a try perhaps.

Try making eggs out of Pickled Eggs. They're great!
    rouxdog
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/21 17:05:47 (permalink)
    I digress from pickled eggs while those I made a couple days ago do their thing in the Frig.
    Still an egg thing, consider this recipe. We don't do this often, however it's a beautiful and delicious thing.
    TEA EGGS..........
    This process leaves the eggs a beautiful alabaster color, as well as very tasty.
    Adjust the recipe to suit your taste.
    12 eggs, 2Tblsp. salt, 2 Tblsp. dark soy sauce, 3 star anise(whole), 2 Tblsp. dark tea(ooling or black tea).........
    Boil the eggs. Seems we all have our preferred method. Me, I place the eggs in a sauce pan along with cold water, some salt and let them come to a boil. turn the stove off and rest for 15 or 20 minutes.......
    Here's where the fun begins...
    Let them cool a bit. Then use a spoon to crack the shells gently, hairline cracks.
    Put the eggs back in the pan along with water, salt, dark soy, star anise, and very dark tea. Bring to low simmer for an hour or two. Best to let them rest in the broth for several hours or overnight in the frig......
    When serving, do a couple dippers, soy sauce as well as sesame oil. Maybe sesame seed.
    Ole Rouxdog

powerpig
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/21 18:21:40 (permalink)
    I love pickled eggs and have been experimenting with them for some time. I purchased the domain gourmetpickledeggs.com and am going to try my hand at selling them in the near future. There will be many unusual flavors such as tequila, red wine, sake, and a host of others. The site will be up soon and I will be sending samples to foodblogs and writers. May be a crazy idea, but what the heck, thought I would give it a try.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/21 18:58:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

Yep all the older Ethnic areas have them. It's a question of whether you want to pay wholesale or retail!

Gagaholic! I went to the grocery store today and there they were.., again!!!! This time, a "new" variety was also present; pickled pink pork hocks. Next to the "display" were 25 gal. containers of rendered pork lard. Who would pay for this crapola? Yes, I live in the South, but I claim no residence to same. I would love to meet ANY person here or anywhere else that buys 25 gallons of lard at a time.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/21 19:37:35 (permalink)
    quote:

Here's a link to a previous post which includes a recipe for the beet-colored ones:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9176&SearchTerms=pickled+eggs

Hope you enjoy them.

I love pickled beets. My mom used to make them for me when I visited. But after the beets were all eaten, she always used the leftover "juice" to pickle herself some eggs. I never had the nerve to try them.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/21 19:41:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    rendered pork lard. Who would pay for this crapola? Yes, I live in the South, but I claim no residence to same. I would love to meet ANY person here or anywhere else that buys 25 gallons of lard at a time.

A GOOD Mexican restaurant probably would. I don't buy it in such quantities myself, but I buy small amounts because, frankly, refried beans ain't as good without using lard.

A bakery might also. I've heard it said, by respectable people, that lard makes the best pie and pastry crusts. I've never mastered baking, though, so I can't vouch for that.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/21 19:46:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    rendered pork lard. Who would pay for this crapola? Yes, I live in the South, but I claim no residence to same. I would love to meet ANY person here or anywhere else that buys 25 gallons of lard at a time.

A GOOD Mexican restaurant probably would. I don't buy it in such quantities myself, but I buy small amounts because, frankly, refried beans ain't as good without using lard.

A bakery might also. I've heard it said, by respectable people, that lard makes the best pie and pastry crusts. I've never mastered baking, though, so I can't vouch for that.

But NOT in a retail grocery store........
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8326
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/21 19:48:00 (permalink)
    We have a local company here in Milwaukee that still makes alot of the stuff you guys are talking about....bayviewpacking.com
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/22 02:20:31 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

But NOT in a retail grocery store........

Almost every grocery store in America sells Lard. Maybe not in25# buckets, But they sell it.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Pickled Eggs 2007/07/22 11:00:55 (permalink)
    Eat Up!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1