Pickled Sausage and Hot Dogs

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2011/04/25 00:55:03 (permalink)

Pickled Sausage and Hot Dogs

I recived a gift of a brick of 6/1 chicken and pork hot dogs today. We don't normally eat these kind of hot dogs and I figured this would be a good time to test some pickling brines that I'd like to try on sausages and get an idea what direction in the taste that I want to go and vinegar/water concentration. I started with a basic brine that I used last year for eggs and made up 3 1Q batches with the basic brine, red pepper flakes and another with red pepper flakes and pickling spice. All have a some peppercorns in the bottles. Brines went in warm after boiling and cooling down and in the fridge. Dogs cut in half.

Film at the 28th I guess.

4 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10110
    Re:Pickled Sausage and Hot Dogs 2011/04/25 03:29:24 (permalink)
    Are the dogs skinless? If not, it might take a little longer to brine them.
    DawnT
    Re:Pickled Sausage and Hot Dogs 2011/04/25 03:46:11 (permalink)
    Cheap and skinless. These certainly qualify as cheap, formed, peaks,lips and every other orifice or waste meat beyond a cluck or a squeel. From what I understand these type of hot dogs will uptake a brine much better then an all beef frank and are great for proofing.  Whatever come of this, I'd like it to transate to 4/1 type skinless bun sausages.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10110
    Re:Pickled Sausage and Hot Dogs 2011/04/25 04:20:01 (permalink)
    DawnT

Cheap and skinless. These certainly qualify as cheap, formed, peaks,lips and every other orifice or waste meat beyond a cluck or a squeel. From what I understand these type of hot dogs will uptake a brine much better then an all beef frank and are great for proofing.  Whatever come of this, I'd like it to transate to 4/1 type skinless bun sausages.

Put a Jar on the Bar! The more you drink, the better they will taste!
    DawnT
    Re:Pickled Sausage and Hot Dogs 2011/04/29 14:14:25 (permalink)
    Preliminary results for the above. I also made up two others with packaged beef hot dogs and sausages.

Pork/chicken dogs in above brine
    Pork/chicken dogs in same brine with pickling spice added
    All beef packaged hot dogs 10/1 ?
    Hillshire packaged smoked sausages 6/1

Five days in. Final check is 2 weeks when the pickling should be about settled. 

The chicken/pork dogs barely have taken in any taste. The pickling spice addition is ok in taste, but rather unremarkable for dogs.
    The beef dogs have taken in quite a bit of flavor, but are quite dense and rubbery 
    The Hillshire sausages seem to have the best texture, taste, and pickle absorbtion thus far.

There has to be a better dog with probably a higher fat content which is what's taking in the taste. The sausages are winners here.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1