Pickled green tomatoes

Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2005/06/02 04:02:09 (permalink)

Pickled green tomatoes

Anybody else like these a whole lot like I do? Down in FL, my Mom buys Ba-Tempte from the fridge case at Publix and they are my favorite. Here in CA I haven't found them but I get Bubbies which are nearly as good. They make a very tasty (garlicy) low cal snack.

12 Replies Related Threads

nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/02 10:03:24 (permalink)
    Yep, I love 'em. They go best with fried catfish.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/02 10:16:07 (permalink)
    One of my favorites, and hard to find. I remember going to New York deli's with my Dad 40 years ago, and there were always bowls of good dill pickles and pickled green tomatoes on the table. The Wegman's store in Pittsford, NY has them loose at the Kosher deli, and I try to get some when I am in that area.

Slick, I've never tried them with fried catfish, but they sure go well with hot pastrami sandwiches.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/02 18:33:04 (permalink)
    Have a new jar in Frige right now. I drive about 15 miles to get them at Central Market in Ft. Worth along with my supply of Acme Herring and Karl Ehmer cold cuts. Anyone tried Tomolives, cocktail size pickled tomatoes great in Bloody Mary's and Stoli Rocks. >
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/04 14:44:29 (permalink)
    Bought a jar at Charlie Brown Farms in Pearblossom, CA last time I was there. Lasted about three day----they were so good I couldn't stop eating them!
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/04 19:30:08 (permalink)
    Superdawg in Chicago puts a pickled green tomato on their dogs. These beautys can be seen at http://www.hollyeats.com/Superdawg.htm
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7892
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/04 21:22:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

One of my favorites, and hard to find. I remember going to New York deli's with my Dad 40 years ago, and there were always bowls of good dill pickles and pickled green tomatoes on the table. The Wegman's store in Pittsford, NY has them loose at the Kosher deli, and I try to get some when I am in that area.

Slick, I've never tried them with fried catfish, but they sure go well with hot pastrami sandwiches.

Trust me, the pickled tomatoes (which I've had in Arkansas) that go good with catfish are nothing like the green tomatoes at the NY delis, that's because the actual name for those green tomatoes are "sour green tomatos"
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/04 22:36:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Anybody else like these a whole lot like I do? Down in FL, my Mom buys Ba-Tempte from the fridge case at Publix and they are my favorite. Here in CA I haven't found them but I get Bubbies which are nearly as good. They make a very tasty (garlicy) low cal snack.

When I was a kid my Grandmother would go to a store on the lower east side of NY to get sausage for her Sunday gravy (tomato sauce to most) and on occasion would get a jar of green tomatoes. I was the only one other than her who liked them and I have fond memories of sharing them with her. That was a long time ago!
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/05 02:57:39 (permalink)
    Check out Grits Gresham's Green Tomato Relish, available from various Louisiana suppliers. Grits is a well-known sports writer and father of two: one a restaurateur (sp?) in Natchitoches, LA, and one a sports writer-producer-and-so-forth, nationwide.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/05 04:40:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Trust me, the pickled tomatoes (which I've had in Arkansas) that go good with catfish are nothing like the green tomatoes at the NY delis, that's because the actual name for those green tomatoes are "sour green tomatos"

This is very true---However---they are BOTH good!!
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/05 18:54:37 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Not sure which you are claiming to be "Sour Geen Tomatoes, but I have 2 jars in front of me;
    BA-TAMPTE Pickled Tomatoes manufactured in Brooklyn and Old South Tomolives Brand Pickled Green Tomatoes from Alma Arkansas. Can't find the word sour on either label.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7892
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/05 18:59:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

quote:

quote:

Not sure which you are claiming to be "Sour Geen Tomatoes, but I have 2 jars in front of me;
    BA-TAMPTE Pickled Tomatoes manufactured in Brooklyn and Old South Tomolives Brand Pickled Green Tomatoes from Alma Arkansas. Can't find the word sour on either label.

Oh, I didn' know you were originally from NY. We all grew up calling the NY ones sour green tomatoes. The consistency, taste, size and shape of of the ones from NY couldn't be more different than the ones I've had in Arkansas
    Caramel Copper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Pickled green tomatoes 2005/06/21 20:52:48 (permalink)
    I love Pickled Green Tomatoes! I use the cold pack method with red bell peppers, Vidalia onions and a clove of garlic per jar. Lots of fresh dill too, perhaps more than most would like :).

Copper
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1