The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6094
Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Fri, 11/19/10 2:00 PM (permalink)

Anyone here like Kraut on Pulled Pork?
<message edited by chewingthefat on Fri, 11/19/10 2:03 PM>

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
    Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Fri, 11/19/10 2:03 PM (permalink)
    Never had pulled pork with Kraut, but have had lots of pork chops with Kraut.............I would give that a try any day of the week...........maybe share a 12 pack with you also CTF.....................
    <message edited by BillyB on Fri, 11/19/10 2:04 PM>

chewingthefat

Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Fri, 11/19/10 2:18 PM (permalink)
      BillyB

Never had pulled pork with Kraut, but have had lots of pork chops with Kraut.............I would give that a try any day of the week...........maybe share a 12 pack with you also CTF.....................

Your on Billy! You'd be suprised how much Kraut we serve here, I actually didn't start with it, but by popular demand put it on the menu.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Fri, 11/19/10 3:48 PM (permalink)
        While my Mother never made pulled pork, she would bake country style ribs with sauerkraut til the ribs fell apart. A favorite dish of mine growing up.I would definately order what you made, ctf. Bravo, again!

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
          Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Fri, 11/19/10 4:34 PM (permalink)
          Kraut on or in anything is the wife's Motto. Those pic's unreal. you can see the moisture in the pulled pork,
          even after it has been cooked.  You serving Mashed 'Taters with that.

chewingthefat

Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Fri, 11/19/10 5:36 PM (permalink)
            Curbside Grill

Kraut on or in anything is the wife's Motto. Those pic's unreal. you can see the moisture in the pulled pork,
            even after it has been cooked.  You serving Mashed 'Taters with that.

Sure do, homemade, good gravy!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
              Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Fri, 11/19/10 5:56 PM (permalink)
              Sorry Chewy, But I think the Food Police should arrest you for putting anything on that pork.  WOW, does that look succulent

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Fri, 11/19/10 6:13 PM (permalink)

I never think of kraut with pulled pork ... this is enough of a impetus to cook a pork, just for the tryin' of somthin' new.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                  Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Fri, 11/19/10 6:37 PM (permalink)
                  I've never tried the combination, but I would definitely order that!

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                    Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Sat, 11/20/10 7:43 AM (permalink)
                    Having been partially adopted, in my yuth, by a German family I love kraut.  Put it on everything but dessert.  Whenever my sister would visit, in my golden years, she would ask me to make ribs and kraut like Mrs. Kussmaul made them.  I always have a bag or two in the fridge.   ------------ 

Your pics are perfect CTF ----almost make me want to hop in the limousine and head for Maryland.  Almost but not quite. 

BillyB

Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Sat, 11/20/10 8:09 AM (permalink)
                      CTF, Tender juicy chunks of pulled smoked pork top with Kraut, horseradish sauce and melted swiss piled high on crunchy Garlic toast or the Amoroso roll.............."The Red Neck Reuben"..........Authentic .....this should drive MH nuts...........

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                        Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Sat, 11/20/10 9:17 AM (permalink)
                        BillyB

.......... piled high on crunchy Garlic toast or the Amoroso roll.............."The Red Neck Reuben"..........

Hey BillyB, For it to be called "the Red Neck Rueben", it has to be served on cheap white sliced bread!

BillyB

Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Sat, 11/20/10 9:37 AM (permalink)
                          Greymo

BillyB

.......... piled high on crunchy Garlic toast or the Amoroso roll.............."The Red Neck Reuben"..........

Hey BillyB, For it to be called "the Red Neck Rueben", it has to be served on cheap white sliced bread!

Your right, what the heck am I thinking. I don't think the swiss cheese will work either, maybe sliced american...................serve it with a can of beer..........

chewingthefat

Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Sat, 11/20/10 11:32 AM (permalink)
                            I suppose the reason for the Kraut demand around here is much of Frederick County Md. was setteled by Germans, eons ago, that said, there isn't one German Restaurant in the County that I know of, there's one in Hagerstown Md. but that's Washington County...too bad, I love German food...and Beer...and in my youth, Women!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17828
                              Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Sat, 11/20/10 11:44 AM (permalink)
                              I got a recipe from Greymo that combines baked sauerkraut with kielbasa, and it is a beautiful thing. You take and cook up some bacon (I used peppered bacon) with a medium Spanish onion, diced, then chop up the bacon and add a two-pound bag of sauerkraut. When the kraut is mixed with the bacon and the onion put it all into a baking dish and add a 12 ounce bottle of beer. If the beer doesn't cover the mixture add some water. Then back the whole thing in a 350 degree oven for three hours, stirring every hour and topping off with water if it's needed to keep it all moist. After the third hour add a pound or two of kielbasa -- shoving it down into the sauerkraut, and then bake for another hour.

This is gooooood stuff! I use Pommery mustard with it for the kielbasa, and have buttered rye bread. And always a bottle of Sam Adams Boston Ale (I say always, because that's my current ale of choice).

Thank you once again Greymo

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Sat, 11/20/10 11:47 AM (permalink)
                                That sounds really good, Mr. Hoffman-thanks for sharing the recipe.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17828
                                  Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Sat, 11/20/10 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                  My pleasure. It's really good.

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
                                    Re:Pics Pulled Pork smothered with Kraut Sat, 11/20/10 12:19 PM (permalink)
                                    Pizza crust/dough your choice. Smear some good brown mustard on dough, shredded pork, Kruat, shredded
                                    Swiss Cheese. Bake -walla.
                                    Have had this in PA and quite good. They called it a Polish Pizza. Seen it with Kielbasa also.
                                    <message edited by Curbside Grill on Sat, 11/20/10 12:22 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com