Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6171
2010/08/27 12:29:20 (permalink)

Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides

Traditional battered Maryland Fried Chicken, with our mashed taters, and local corn

This is my smoked chicken with a louisiana spice, then deep fried, no batter, then respiced, very crispy spicy skin, jucy as all get out, eith our collards and special fried potatoes with sausage and onions!
What think ye?

34 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 12:48:08 (permalink)
    It looks superb.

You must have a great operation and you deserve to be proud.  Keep 'um coming.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 13:17:56 (permalink)
    I don't like any fried chicken, but those greens and potatoes sure look good.

EDIT:

Let me amend that. Those greens look absolutely fantastic!
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/08/27 13:19:24
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 14:51:45 (permalink)
    My apologies, I guess this should be in the Chicken forum, which I totally missed.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 15:08:14 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

My apologies, I guess this should be in the Chicken forum, which I totally missed.

OK, I'll bite. Why should this be in a chicken forum?
    I'll be darned. I never noticed that there was a chicken section.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/08/27 15:40:47
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 15:51:15 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

OK, I'll bite. Why should this be in a chicken forum?
    I'll be darned. I never noticed that there was a chicken section.

Believe it or not, I didn't either! It's sort of like having a Potato forum!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 15:56:14 (permalink)
    GASP!

There's no potato forum?
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 16:32:34 (permalink)
    Looks great and this section works just fine I think. That smoked fried chicken is a neat idea!
    Joe
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 16:51:11 (permalink)
    Chewie, my wife is from Bal'mer, but she doesn't know anything about MD fried chicken.  How would you differentiate it from Southern-fried?
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 17:43:48 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Chewie, my wife is from Bal'mer, but she doesn't know anything about MD fried chicken.  How would you differentiate it from Southern-fried?

Actually Don, I don't see much of any difference, It's a terminology IMHO, simply because it's a very popular item in Md., but as far as ingredients, it's pretty much dead on with Southern fried chicken recipes. That said, I dont pan fry, my deep fat fryer is much more efficient.
    Any Seafood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/27 18:36:13 (permalink)
    Looks great!!  I want to eat at your place!!
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/28 08:45:34 (permalink)
    Chewingthefat, That all looks so good! If I'm ever in the area I know where I'm eating!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/28 09:16:36 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Personally I am appalled that you would place this thread in the wrong form.  Without any sense of order, we are no better than the chickens we are frying.

If Chubby's was 100 miles or less for me to drive, I would eat there twice a week
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15178
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/28 18:58:37 (permalink)
    Both Chicken Dinners look delicious to me. Nice job on both versions!
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/29 08:54:35 (permalink)
    CWF, Chix looks great.  ?????????????? Does the traditional Maryland Fried Chicken come with Country gravy. I have served Maryland fried chicken for years, when ever some one asked me " What the Hell is Maryland fried chicken" I always answered Fried chicken with country gravy. Am I full of hominy grits and hog jowls, or what............Bill
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/29 12:17:28 (permalink)
    BillyB

CWF, Chix looks great.  ?????????????? Does the traditional Maryland Fried Chicken come with Country gravy. I have served Maryland fried chicken for years, when ever some one asked me " What the Hell is Maryland fried chicken" I always answered Fried chicken with country gravy. Am I full of hominy grits and hog jowls, or what............Bill

Billy, to tell the truth, I don't really know...That said , it sure sounds good to me!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/29 12:42:50 (permalink)
    Billy, looks like gravy on those taters w/ the Maryland chicken.

We like gravy w/ our  fried chicken and mashed taters here in Texas also. Maybe ours is more of a cream gravy though?
    Joe
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/29 12:47:39 (permalink)
    Hmm, I've lived 3 miles from Maryland my entire life and never heard of Maryland fried chicken.   There is only one famous chicken in Maryland and that's English's, where it is pressure cooked.  Is that what this is?

Pretty much every other fried chicken place in Maryland only uses fresh wet chicken dredged in flour and immediately fried in a pressure cooker as well.   (like say Royal Farms)

You'd think where I live in the most densely populated chicken county in the world, I'd have heard of such a thing.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/29 13:35:11 (permalink)
    This is what I remember about Maryland fried Chicken, fry the Chicken in a cast iron skillet, when the chix is done remove the oil and make a gravy from the leavings. Old time recipe and method of making and serving Maryland fried chicken with a pepper county gravy with bits of the leavings...................I don't want to high jack CTF post, he does a great job with all his food.............
    Home
  • Food & Drink
  • Southern Food

Southern Food

Search Southern Food
  • Easy Recipes
  • Basics
  • Classic Recipes Share Print
  • Free Southern Food Newsletter!Sign Up
  • Discuss in my Forum

Southern Fried Chicken

Recipes and tips for making delicious Southern fried chicken

By Diana Rattray, About.com Guide

See More About:

Sponsored Links
    Deep Fried Chicken RecipeOver 100 Deep Fried Chicken Recipes Quick & Easy Deep Fried Chickendeliciousrecipeideas.com
    Crispy Fried ChickenFind Crispy Fried Chicken now - Compare Gourmet Food & save!crispy-fried-chicken.best-price.com
    Kentucky Fried ChickenSearch multiple engines at once for kentucky fried chickenwww.webcrawler.com

Cooking Ads Quick Food Recipes Fried Chicken Batter Southern Recipe Chicken Pasta Chicken Recipe

Fried Chicken Recipes
    Chicken-Frying Tips

Southerners weren't the first people in the world to fry their chickens. Almost every country has a version of fried chicken, or fricassee, from Vietnam's Gà Xaò to Italy's pollo fritto. It is thought that the Scottish people who settled the early South introduced the method here in the United States. They preferred to fry their chickens, rather than baking or boiling them as the English did. It wasn't until the early 1900s that recipes for fried chicken began appearing in popular "northern" cookbooks. Fannie Farmer's 1896 cookbook only refers to "Fried Chicken" as a fricassee served with "Brown Sauce" or as oven-baked "Maryland Chicken". Mary Randolph, in the third printing of "Virginia House-Wife" (1828), told how to make fried chicken. Very simply, the chickens are cut up, dredged in flour, sprinkled with a little salt, put in a skillet with hot fat, and fried until golden brown. Through the years there have been hundreds of attempts to improve upon her recipe, and plenty of tricks and special touches, but they are all simply minor variations on the original. Mary Randolph mentions making a gravy with the "leavings", but the cream sauce so often served with fried chicken seems to have originated with the dish "Maryland fried chicken". In the cookbook, "Fifty Years in a Maryland Kitchen" (Baltimore, 1873), the only fried chicken recipe calls for a sauce made of butter, cream, parsley, salt and pepper. Variations There are hundreds of recipes for southern fried chicken, and it is the center of more controversies than perhaps any other food item. From the seasoning and coating to the fat and cooking time, discussions of "real" southern fried chicken can start some lively debates throughout the South. Some people will tell you to remove the skin before battering, while others swear by double-dipping the chicken. Some fry in oil, some in butter, others in lard or bacon grease. The recipe in "The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery" recommends browning before covering, then frying slowly and turning frequently. Camille Glenn, in "The Heritage of Southern Cooking" states that chicken is not dipped in milk, crumbs, or batter, simply flour, while the recipe in "Bill Neal's Southern Cooking" requires a soaking in buttermilk. James Villas, in "American Taste," soaks his chicken pieces overnight in milk and lemon juice, and cooks them in vegetable shortening with the addition of 4 tablespoons of bacon grease. The few things everyone seems to agree on are that the skillet has to be a well-seasoned black iron one (preferably deep and with a cover), the chicken must be young and lean, and that fried chicken should be eaten with the fingers. On the Side Biscuits, coleslaw, and corn on the cob are popular, and in some regions rice is served. Mashed potatoes with gravy is probably the overall favorite, but potato salad would be just as delicious. Get your seasoned skillet out and try some of the recipes. Compare Prices:
    Fried Chicken: An American Story
    by John T. Edge

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/29 14:54:37 (permalink)
    Thanks BillyB!... nice post!

I will bet that if you went to downtown Dallas and asked 100 random folks to describe Texas Style Chili more would not have a clue... than would.
    Joe
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/29 15:09:10 (permalink)
    Hmm, maybe that's why I've never heard of it...   isn't that just fried chicken?  Isn't that how everyone does it?   

Guess you're right, people in Texas wouldn't call chili Texas Chili, so we here in MD wouldn't call fried chicken Maryland Fried Chicken...

Any way, only secret my grandmother would give, is you always flour the chicken the night before, and let it refrigerate overnight with the flour on.  (or at least 3 hours)  Then immediately into some 325 degree Crisco shortening.
    DougS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/29 20:47:22 (permalink)
    Here in the frozen north there are take out Maryland fried chicken operations.  I imagine if there can be Kentucky Fried operations....Why Not!

Do you use any seasonings in that flour coating before frying?
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/30 11:10:47 (permalink)
    DougS

Here in the frozen north there are take out Maryland fried chicken operations.  I imagine if there can be Kentucky Fried operations....Why Not!

Do you use any seasonings in that flour coating before frying?

Poultry seasoning, granulated garlic, pepper, and a few others, can't remember the durn things right now!
    DougS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/08/31 19:41:22 (permalink)
    Does look mighty good. I got to believe it would be a big seller. A number one on the menu.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/09/24 03:54:51 (permalink)
    The maryland chicken looks much like what you find most times in Northeast Wisconsin. There are a lot of good chicken places here.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/09/24 03:55:34 (permalink)
    I like the looks of the smoked chicken too.
    ArrowSmith
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/11/08 19:50:20 (permalink)
    That is AMAZING. Out here in the Pacific Northwest it's KFC and the occasional mom n pop, but nothing like you guys have over in the South. I'll trade you Seattle grunge rock for your fried chicken and all the fixins'.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/11/08 21:19:28 (permalink)
    These picture "show & tells" are costing me a fortune. Every time one of you shows off your cooking, I have to buy a new keyboard because my drool has ruined it. But, don't stop.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/11/09 00:39:52 (permalink)
    Didn't see this until now.  I'd order either meal in an instant, but I'd really like to chow down on those sides.  And I'd like a platter full of those ears of corn.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re:Pics of my Maryland Fried Chicken and my Smoked Spicy Fried Chicken and sides 2010/11/09 10:00:36 (permalink)
    Can we have the batter/breading recipe start to finish???  I've fried ALOT of chicken in my time, mostly just flour, s & p.  Rarely I'll do an egg wash then flour.  I want my chicken to look like that!  Please and thank you.  And, I mostly deep fry also.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1