Pierce's BBQ

Author
Felton
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/02/11 19:09:02 (permalink)

Pierce's BBQ

We started our adventure with Good Food in 1984 given to us as a gift before an 8 week 10,000 mile campling trip across the country.

I am disappointed that Pierce's BBQ in Williamsburge VA has been dropped.  Wonderful BQ with a very unique flavor.

Also hard to beat Smithfields (yes I know it is a chain) but the fried chicken and eastern Carolina Q is an oasis on the I-95 corridor.

14 Replies Related Threads

brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/11 20:15:02 (permalink)
    Sorry, but in my opinion there are far better places for BBQ in that region than Pierce's and Smithfields.  They deserve to have been dropped.
    swvadon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/21 19:10:29 (permalink)
    Have to disagree, Pierce's does a really good job. Just because they aren't in NC doesn't disqualify them.

As for Smithfield's, I think they do the best job of any chain with their barbecue. In fact, I have eaten there many times and found them to be superior to many of the 'fabled' barbecue places in NC. Especially some of the old standby's in eastern NC, who seem to be living more on reputation and a lack of exposure by their extremely loyal customer base to anything except their servings.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10481
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/21 19:42:13 (permalink)
    If you are talking about Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg, I am a fan.  Well, I should say that I think their bbq is very good, but the sides I have tried have not been very good.

http://www.pierces.com/
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/21 21:26:27 (permalink)
    swvadon, I haven't eaten at Smithfield's, but I sure know what you're talking about regarding "fabled" NC barbeque joints. Last week I ate at both the Skylight Inn in Ayden and Stamey's in Greensboro, and found both of them to be disappointing, especially Stamey's. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/21 21:38:17 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

If you are talking about Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg, I am a fan.  Well, I should say that I think their bbq is very good, but the sides I have tried have not been very good.

http://www.pierces.com/

When we go in May you'll have to try the sweet potato sticks!
    swvadon
    Junior Burger
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/21 22:12:04 (permalink)
    nocarolina aka Carolina Bob

swvadon, I haven't eaten at Smithfield's, but I sure know what you're talking about regarding "fabled" NC barbeque joints. Last week I ate at both the Skylight Inn in Ayden and Stamey's in Greensboro, and found both of them to be disappointing, especially Stamey's. 

Yeah, Stamey's is just another 'chain' restaurant now. Not a lot of character left there. I could include a couple of there well known restaurants from the Wilson area in that category, too...

The problem is, their most ardent customers have probably not eaten barbecue anywhere but these places in about thirty years. They are basing everything on emotion, and nothing on actual production. I've got my own personal favorites, too, but at least I shop around enough to know whether I like them because of 'comfort' or because of quality. There IS a difference.
    swvadon
    Junior Burger
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/21 22:18:18 (permalink)
    Smithfield's has great hushpuppies and sweet tea. They also do the chopped hog with vinegar sauce well. It's not chopped beyond recognition, the way some places do (hello Don Murray!). You see the red pepper flakes throughout the 'cue. You also see just enough bark, without it become overwhelming. The pork is cooked over gas, but that's not a mortal crime in my book. Pork over wood is a bonus for me, pork over gas doesn't subtract points. Does that make sense?

Smithfield's chicken is not bad at all, either, but we're talking pork here, so that's the central theme. Smithfield's would be a proper representative of eastern NC barbecue if they were to spread across the nation. They're not the best ever, but to be such a multi-location chain, they do very well.
    swvadon
    Junior Burger
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/21 22:23:05 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

I haven't paid attention to the sides. When I eat barbecue, I eat a sandwich with slaw & hush puppies, or I eat a plate with slaw, hush puppies, and greens. On occasion I will opt for some 'nanner puddin'. Anything beyond that & I don't care. A restaurant could offer a sandwich with slaw, a sandwich without slaw, and a plate, with the only sides being hush puppies, slaw, & greens, and I'd think they were geniuses.

Talk about stripped down to its' essence, that's my perspective on barbecue. Meat, bun, & hush puppies are pretty much it for me.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/21 22:27:02 (permalink)
    After my less-than-thrilling meal at the Skylight Inn ( their unleavened cornbread is simply inedible ), I find myself wishing that I had stopped at one of the two or three Smithfield's locations that I passed. Oh well, live and learn... 
    swvadon
    Junior Burger
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/21 22:51:55 (permalink)
    Have you had the  cornsticks? They're pretty popular in eastern NC. They're like an 8" version of a hush puppy, only almost as thin as a Slim Jim, and totally crust. No meal at all, just all crust. Normally, they seem to have been cooked for about fifteen minutes, when five minutes would have produced a tasty, crunchy treat.

I say all this with the utmost affection for eastern NC barbecue joints. Really, I do. But there are just quite a few of them that are mailing it in, so to speak...

In a way, it's like talking about how addicted to Captain Crunch you were as a teen, and you now realize how bad it is for you, yet you still mist over thinking about that sugar jones...
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10481
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/22 08:05:49 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

buffetbuster

http://www.pierces.com/%3C/a%3E%3C/font%3E

When we go in May you'll have to try the sweet potato sticks!
    You bet!  I am very much looking forward to it.

Felton
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/02/24 22:57:00 (permalink)
    Great comments.

Thank you.
    whitney0125
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/03/14 10:17:27 (permalink)
    I tasted the barbecue of Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg when i visited there.. And their bbq really delicious!

puddlejumper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Pierce's BBQ 2010/03/14 15:28:27 (permalink)
    Carolina Bob

After my less-than-thrilling meal at the Skylight Inn ( their unleavened cornbread is simply inedible ), I find myself wishing that I had stopped at one of the two or three Smithfield's locations that I passed. Oh well, live and learn... 

Next time you come this way go back to Ayden and try Bum's Restaurant. It is on NC HWY 102 down the street and around the corner from Skylight Inn. Bum's has a selection of traditional eastern NC soul food. A larger menu. The BBQ is pit cooked over hardwood coals in a smoke house behind the restaurant. They have really good collards and cornbread. Great fried chicken. I was raised in the area and can cook a respectable hole hog myself. I get to choose from the best BBQ houses that serve eastern NC que everyday. And I rank Bum's BBQ either #1 or #2. Look them up on Facebook--Bums Restaurant

The other joint I would rank either #1 or #2 is B's BBQ in Greenville. Also on Facebook.

Now enjoy some pig!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1