Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/05/02 09:50:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chrismzarpas

Pierce's is simply not good. Never has been. I have eaten Q all over this country, using Roadfood as my guide. Anybody who likes Pierces has probably never set foot outside of Williamsburg. When in Williamsburg, the best barbeque can be found at a Virginia based chain called Red Hot and Blue. Deeply smoked, Memphis style Q. Outstanding beans and cole slaw and fresh brewed tea. Hard core blues on the audio system and lots of cool blues memorabilia on thje walls.

Oh yes, the National Chain, Red Hot and Blue...

I've been to Pierces as well as bbq joints all over the country. I thoroughly enjoyed Pierces, although I haven't been there since 2003, it was on my top 10 list for that year.
hep2thejive
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/05/02 09:54:52 (permalink)
I do not like Pierces.

The absolute best BBQ in Southern VA WAS Herb's Drive-in in Suffolk. Even when he was very old Herb was in the back making sandwiches to order. It was Eastern North Carolina style and in my opinion it was the best.

Another good spot is Cowling's in Waverly.

Barry
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1187
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/05/02 10:23:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chrismzarpas

Pierce's is simply not good. Never has been. I have eaten Q all over this country, using Roadfood as my guide. Anybody who likes Pierces has probably never set foot outside of Williamsburg. When in Williamsburg, the best barbeque can be found at a Virginia based chain called Red Hot and Blue. Deeply smoked, Memphis style Q. Outstanding beans and cole slaw and fresh brewed tea. Hard core blues on the audio system and lots of cool blues memorabilia on thje walls.

Wow. Kind of an extreme expression of Absolutes, dude.....Jane and Michael Stern have obviously set foot outside of Williamsburg. As have I.

If I want blues on the audio system, I'll do so at my house or in my car.

Pierce's is outstanding barbecue and sides. It's got to beat any "chain".

Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/05/02 11:15:20 (permalink)
Earlier on this thread I'd suggested a Roadfood meet-up at Pierce's. Over the last year our tastes have grown a bit and we've found Smokin' Joe's in Toano more to our liking (except I don't really like the brisket, Terry did, though). I love the wings, which they smoke and then quick fry to crisp them. The pulled pork is excellent. Hmmm...feel a BBQ dinner coming soon. They don't sauce their meat. The sauces they offer are varied, but most start out as Sauer's (Richmond based spice company)and then they doctor them.

Pierce's is riding on it's laurels and has gotten stingy - more things a la carte rather than a combo.

Red Hot and Blue - I was underwhelmed. I thought the food was very bland. And the service is pretty poor. I don't think the Eastern European kids coming over here for the season know much about BBQ.

We *should* have a Williamsburg meet up. We could compare ribs from all three places.

Cathy
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/05/03 05:36:44 (permalink)
Hello All,
Williamsburger, I say, Yeah!! to a Williamsburg meet up sometime.
I'm coming down May 17 to pick up my daughter from college.
I may have to try out Smokin'Joes.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Qaholic
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/05/17 21:19:20 (permalink)
A great place near Williamsburg, in Toano is Hog Wild BBQ on Rt.60 about a mile west off of Rt.33
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 642
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/05/18 11:56:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Williamsburger

......We *should* have a Williamsburg meet up. We could compare ribs from all three places.

Cathy

W-burger, you've suggested this more than once. I'm game! There are certainly enough good choices in the burg, plus surrounding environs, to interest our RF friends--not to mention all the other wonderful things there are to see and do in the area. Let me know if I can help. Mrs QFan and I have family in NoVa and get up that way pretty often.

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/08/19 08:24:47 (permalink)
We went to Pierce's Pitt yesterday and had really good pork bbq. Even though some of the sides were mediocre at best, that was a really good pig sandwich. There is a layer of cole slaw just below the meat.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 642
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/08/19 09:01:49 (permalink)
Oh God, get me a handful of napkins quick. I'm salivating all over the place.
Buffetbuster, what a wonderful picture! Thanks for sharing; I love that place!

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/08/19 21:08:17 (permalink)
QFan-
I'm glad you liked the photo. Pierce's was actually our fourth meal of the day, so we weren't exactly starving when we got there. But after one bite, we knew we would have no trouble eating our sandwiches. It tasted just as good as it looks!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/08/19 21:10:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

QFan-
I'm glad you liked the photo. Pierce's was actually our fourth meal of the day, so we weren't exactly starving when we got there. But after one bite, we knew we would have no trouble eating our sandwiches. It tasted just as good as it looks!

Qfan and Buffetbuster, I too thoroughly enjoyed Pierce's Pork BBQ.

I hope you had a chance to try the Sweet Potato Sticks, in my opinion, the only stand out from their so-so sides.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/08/19 21:27:38 (permalink)
wanderingjew-
No, we completely whiffed on the sweet potato stix. It was my cousin's turn to pay, so he waited in line and did the ordering while I grabbed us a table. I saw the sweet potato stix listed on the menu as I was leaving. Next time for sure!
Fieldthistle
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/08/27 05:10:51 (permalink)
Hello All,
I took my daughter back to college on Saturday, (the 25th), and
after getting her settled into her apartment, we were starving.
I went to Pierce's at 2 p.m. and the place was packed and a long line
greeted us. We went elsewhere, but one of these days I'm going to
eat there. Everyone looked happy that was eating.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/08/27 07:58:13 (permalink)
Fieldthistle-
I have been there four times now and the place has been mobbed every single time. They obviously have a good thing going there. I have found that the line typically does move quickly. I hope you get to eat there soon.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2007/08/27 10:15:06 (permalink)
A friend here at the office has always spoke very highly of Pierce's, said he always stops by on his way to the Outer Banks....

I had to take a road trip for work to a military base called Camp Perry. Sits just outside Williamsburg so I thought I give Pierce's a try.

I arrived around three in the afternoon, there were a good number of folks there, but I wouldn't have called it packed, still plenty of tables available.

I ordered a large pulled pork sandwich, fries, and an order of greens. Let me say that the greens were the best part of my meal.

I found the pork to be "mushy" and "stringy", the sauce was a bit bland for me also. I like my pulled pork to be more chunky then pulled to the point that Pierce's does theirs.

The fries were OK, nice and hot...could have been cooked a little longer for my tastes, but I didn't go there for the fries.

The greens had a nice salty/smoky flavor to them, they too were a bit mushy, but good none the less.

I'd give Pierce's another try, I just won't order the pulled pork. By the time I left the place was steady filling up, it's obvious that folks around Williamsburg love the place. My first visit however wasn't all that great.
Fieldthistle
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/01 15:15:52 (permalink)
Hello All,
Well, I finally made it to Pierce's when I picked
my daughter up for Spring Break. It was not what I expected.
Feb.29 is not a big tourist time for Williamsburg, but at
1 p.m., Pierce's was still packed with customers. The customers
were more relaxed than the staff. Actually, I've never seen
such happy eaters and uptight staff.
We walked in, and there is a small corral to walk to the counter,
we paused to glance at the menu above the counter as the staff
at the two cash registers hawked out, "Who's next? I can take
someone here!"
The price for the food is good, actually cheap for Williamsburg.
I ordered a Saloon Burger meal, basically burger with the toppings,
fries, unlimited drinks and cookie(choice of oatmeal with raisins,
chocolate chip, and another with nuts..maca...whatever), and
my daughter ordered a Lightfoot Chicken meal, basically a bb-q chicken
sandwich with the toppings and the same drink, fries, and cookie.
I was informed that it would be 15 minutes or more because they
hand-prepare each burger. That was right, it was at least a 15 minute
wait for our order, but it was worth it as far as the burger.
They gave me the ticket and two cups and we ventured into the dining
area, which is fend for yourself.
We found a place to dine at a two person small square table between
a group of women discussing family problems and a prim, wealthy 60-ish
looking couple that spoke only of the food when they talked. Dining can
be close quartered depending where you find a spot, and if you listen
you can hear interesting conversations. As we waited for our food,
the women left and a group of elderly black ladies from Suffolk, Va.
found a place to rest their bones. We discovered they were with a
group from an old folks home on a day trip. The staff of Pierce's
did take good care of these ladies, as well as the rest of their
group that sat in small groups throughout the building. I thought that
was good.
It was noisy, and I mis-heard our order called out. I went to the counter
and was told my order was not called out. I felt dismissed like I was
at the Nazi-Soup counter(remember the Seinfeld episode).
When we did get our food...it was good.
The burger was trully hand prepared and tasted great. It was almost fluffy.
Jen's Lightfoot chicken BB-Q was good, but they did not put much
sauce on the chicken.
The couple next to us loved their bb-q sandwiches, except the wife complained
there was not enough cole-slaw. The husband went and bought a gallon of sauce
to take home.
The ladies to our other side just enjoyed their food with quiet, dignified glee.
The place was very clean despite the turnover. The restrooms were clean as well.
I do not mean to go on and on. I apologize.
I liked the diversity of people that ate there, from suits to labourers to tourists.
The food was good to my common tongue, and everybody I saw loved what they were tasting.
But don't go thinking it is a BB-Q Paradise. It is just a good place to eat with reasonable
prices.
I'd go again. I'd take people there to eat, but not impress.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
brentk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/01 15:55:30 (permalink)
rebeltruce has Pierce's BBQ pegged. It is really quite mediocre. I just cannot understand what all the fuss is about.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/02 08:11:46 (permalink)
I feel Pierce's was excellent about 25 - 30 years ago, they didn't sauce the meat back in the day. How they've managed to live off their rep for so long is beyond me, but you've gotta' give them credit for doing so. I suspect most of their business is visitors, not locals.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/02 08:30:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by douginvirginia

I feel Pierce's was excellent about 25 - 30 years ago, they didn't sauce the meat back in the day. How they've managed to live off their rep for so long is beyond me, but you've gotta' give them credit for doing so. I suspect most of their business is visitors, not locals.

When I visited 4 years ago, I thought their Q was really good- And I remember engaging in conversation with several of the customers on the line- they were all local...

I think it's hilarious how North Carolina enthusiasts slam Virginia Q and how others will call North Carolina Q (specifically Eastern NC)
"underwhelming"
brentk
Cheeseburger
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/02 08:44:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

When I visited 4 years ago, I thought their Q was really good- And I remember engaging in conversation with several of the customers on the line- they were all local...

I think it's hilarious how North Carolina enthusiasts slam Virginia Q and how others will call North Carolina Q (specifically Eastern NC)
"underwhelming"

Well I was just there a few months ago and, although I live in NC, I am not the least bit parochial in my views of BBQ.

The slop that Pierce's put on the plate was oversauced and practically flavorless, if you scraped away the sauce. It clearly had not been cooked over wood and, if I had to venture a guess, may have not have seen any kind of smoker. The texture was soggy and there were no burnt ends.

I have been going to Pierce's for 20-30 years and have fond memories of when it was a little shack. If ever there was a place that merited a "downhill alert" it is this one.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/02 08:55:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brentk

quote:

quote:

"underwhelming"

Well I was just there a few months ago and, although I live in NC, I am not the least bit parochial in my views of BBQ.

The slop that Pierce's put on the plate was oversauced and practically flavorless, if you scraped away the sauce. It clearly had not been cooked over wood and, if I had to venture a guess, may have not have seen any kind of smoker. The texture was soggy and there were no burnt ends.

I have been going to Pierce's for 20-30 years and have fond memories of when it was a little shack. If ever there was a place that merited a "downhill alert" it is this one.

Well,

If it has gone downhill it must have been recently because it was great 4 years ago...

What's interesting is that there were several recent postings about some NC BBQ places- Parkers and Wilbers specifically, I thinks some of the posts referred to their Q as "slop" as well...

So, I guess we all have different opinions about what's slop...
brentk
Cheeseburger
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/02 15:09:39 (permalink)
I've had mediocre BBQ from both Wilbur's and Parker's. In fact, at Parker's I would rather eat the fried chicken.

When it comes to panning BBQ (or praising it, for that matter), I just call it like I taste it.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/02 15:32:13 (permalink)
I was there August '07'and I stand by my review. I've lived in Va. for over 20 years now, however I am not bias one way or the other when it comes to where my Q is from, I love all BBQ, but Pierce's just wasn't my cup of tea.

I may give then another try, but like I said I won't order their signature pulled pork.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3727
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/02 15:48:19 (permalink)
I have to agree that their pulled pork is not that great but I sure loved those sweet potato fries that WJ told me to order. I guess that we would not bother to stop there again ..........I can live without barbeque in the WIlliamsburg area.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/03 07:44:29 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

"underwhelming"

Perhaps if you were from the South your barbecue taste would be more discerning.

Real barbecue, be it pork, brisket, mutton, ... is NOT served with sauce on it.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/03 08:17:02 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

"underwhelming"

Perhaps if you were from the South your barbecue taste would be more discerning.

Real barbecue, be it pork, brisket, mutton, ... is NOT served with sauce on it.

You don't have to be from the South to know good BBQ
I've been all over the South and have even been to the Shrines in Lockhart Texas. I know the difference between good and bad BBQ.
I guess Memphis doesn't serve "real BBQ" because everything they serve there is already sauced. Kansas City too (which isn't in the South BTW)

Ironically when I visited Williamsburg a few years back, everyone on the forum (even those from the South) pointed me in the direction of Pierce's.
AllysonChains
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/03/11 17:31:10 (permalink)
I'm originally from Williamsburg.I love Pierce's.I'll be back in a few months for a visit.You can bet your sweet bippie I'll be going there.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/04/12 20:12:12 (permalink)
I just spent an hour and a half at Chubby's, and it kicks ass, big time. I'll write it up as soon as my digestive torpor subsides.....
Bigmagoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/05/10 03:18:42 (permalink)
I am from Williamsburg, but have not lived there for the past 30 years. Pierces is the real deal. It's not particularly cheap, and it's now a pain in the ass to get to, and it's still packed. Love the Cue and the burgers. Stop there every time I go to Moms.

Locals, and travellers flock to it. Somebody must like it. To each his own, right?

I loves Buzz and Ned's in Richmond (great Q and Buzz is a character), Kings in Petersburg, Ralphs in NC, D&H in Manning SC, even tried Arthur Bryants in Kansas among numerous others. I liked them all, a lot. But I try to recognize nobody's BBQ is one size fits all.

I'm not offended some people don't like Pierces, but some of these guys make it clear they don't like sauce, or pulled pork. Ok, its no secret Pierces is pulled pork with sauce. Why eat it if YOU dont like pulled pork with sauce.

Some of the Trellis, Red Hot and Blue fans have a right to their preferences, but I for one think those places are overpriced, pretentious, and touristy, in the first case and pedestrian in the second. But hey if thats what you like, rock on. I eat at those places, from time to time, at the request of others, but in general I don't drive out of my way to get there.

I have always enjoyed the more authentic originals in my Roadfood excursions. Speaking of consistency, (not what it used to be,etc.) isn't that a little overated. I mean nobody wants a bad experience even from an old favorite, but McDonalds turns out a pretty consistent product. I have put away my share of burgers there, but the best one I ever ate at the golden calf, oops , I mean arches couldn't touch the worst meal I ever got at Pierces.

Moving on to other eats in "Billsburg", if you like a great sandwich there are two great delly type places in the Burg. The College Delly, by the William and Mary Campus has already been mentioned, and the NY Delly on Rte 60 near the Pottery have virtually the same basic menu and quality. They serve fresh made subs that I grew up on. The hot "Holly", at either location, is my holy grail of sandwiches. (I know, I know, my apologies to New Yorkers everywhere, we all know you can't get a decent sandwich south of the boroughs, but indulge us our provincial quirks)

On Rte 143 just east of downtown is the Queen Anne Dairy Snak. Big dripping burgers, crinkle cut fries and footlong dogs, and more shake and soda flavors than you can shake a stick at. This is an original, been here forever, deep fried drive-up joint that Sonic and others have improved upon to the point of sterility. (Queen Anne has no curb service)Try it if you get a chance and you appreciate that kind of thing.

Sorry this is so long, I do like Pierces however.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q 2008/05/10 06:56:20 (permalink)
I attempted a visit to Pierces a little over a week ago. It was mid week mid afternoon dinning room was packed and two tour buses pulled up.
Damnd if I was going to wait in that line, sorry I didn't.
After leaving I found a very nice State Park around the corner from Pierces on Airport Rd., don't know why it's called that, no airport there.
It would have made a great spot to eat take out.
Also FYI the Pottery is up for sale after many many years in business.
We paid a visit the day it was announced, too bad a great place to visit and shop. If you go bring your walking shoes. Chow Jim
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1