Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!)

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2393
2009/03/30 22:16:38 (permalink)

Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!)

A few weeks ago, I met up with the guy who runs the most excellent website, www.pigtrip.net.  He is Massachusetts based and writes about his experiences eating barbeque all throughout the Northeast.  He is also pretty knowledgable when it comes to people in the barbeque business.  We met up in front of R.U.B. BBQ in NYC, where he introduced me to the pitmaster.  We talked for a bit and then headed up to our first stop, Rack & Soul, in the Columbia University area of NYC. 

This place has been around for a few years now, but it seems to fly below the media radar and doesn't get a lot of press. 

Our biscuits.  I thought these were good, but not great.  A bit of sweetness to them that made them more reminiscient of the kind used for strawberry shortcake.

We skipped appetizers and decided to get a few platters to share.  Our pulled pork with sauce.  This was really, really good.  Not THE best I've ever had.  I would have liked a stronger smoke flavor, but the texture was soft and there were some crusty pieces in there as well.  I wasn't sure how I felt about it when it came out pre-sauced as I'm not a fan of that style but the sauce worked well here and had a sweet, slighty spicy balance to it.

And our fried chicken.  One of the co-proprietors, Charles Gabriel is well-known in Harlem for his fried chicken.  Good stuff.  The crust clung to the chicken, was nicely seasoned (although I wish it had had more spice in it) and the meat was moist.  I've eaten very little fried chicken in my life, so I have no idea how this stacks up, but there are many fried chicken places in Harlem, so further investigation may be necessary!

Sided with some mac & cheese.  Very disappointing.  There wasn't the gooey, stringy texture that I so love and I found it to be very bland with little cheese flavor.

The yams were excellent: soft and sweet and were great foils to the different meats.

Our second platter was a rack of baby back ribs that were tender and meaty, but a bit chewier than I prefer and not as meaty as the cut I am used to at the Dinosaur (a St. Louis cut?). 

Sorry these rib pics are so dark, but they were the best of a mediocre bunch.

The collards with our 2nd platter were great.  I've really come around to collards in the past few years, especially when they are cooked properly: soft, with just a slight crunch, earthy and full of flavor.

I wasn't a fan of the black-eyed peas and I think it was more personal preference than anything else.  They tasted like dirt to me, similar to how beets have an aftertaste.  Maybe it's just me. 

Our third platter meat was a beef rib. 

I cut off this piece of it and really enjoyed the beefy flavor.  This is probably the second time I've tried a beef rib and liked it. 

A creamy, mustardy potato salad with hard boiled eggs chopped up throughout.  Very tasty.

These baked beans fell short for me as I thought they were too sweet and way to "busy" for my taste.  Too much going on in them: meat, red peppers, onions.  The flavors just didn't come together. 

A portrait of Charles Gabriel, the "soul" in Rack & Soul.

The bar.  The weird moment of the day came in the form of a guy sitting at the bar wearing a leg cast.  I got the impression he had been there downing a few cold ones LONG before we arrived or that he was on some type of medication.  Through a heavy-eyed glaze, he kept asking us why we were taking pictures of our food and asking us to take pictures of him, but didn't seem interested in having us send a shot to him.  Maybe he wanted his likeness floating out there in cyberspace??

Inside Rack & Soul.  It's a pretty small place and there were a few other tables eating away when we had arrived.  There were some hits and misses for me and I do prefer a few other places over this one but I would definitely return to work through more of the menu. 

Our 2nd stop was at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Harlem. 

We started out with an order of the "Chili on the Half Shell", which is a bowl of chili and tortilla chips.  I used to get this a lot in Syracuse and the presentation was much different.  It used to be a form oif nachos smothered in their chili, which I prefer as some of the chips wilt and some stay crispy.  I was surprised they still refer to it as the "half shell".  I had asked for a small empty bowl so I could split the order, but I think our waitress misunderstood and brought us a small bowl of the chili as well (gratis, I think). 

Here is the full-on presentation of "Chili on the Half Shell".  To be honest, neither of us liked this, at all.  We took about 2-3 spoonfuls each and then we were done with it.  I felt bad as the waitress knew we didn't like it and wasn't sure what to say to us.  She was very nice though. 

Where do I start? I was so bummed over this as I have a huge love for almost anything Dinosaur and I really wanted to love this!  The main issue we both had is that it leaned VERY heavily on beans (kidneys, I think) and tomato flavor (not sure if it was sauce or cooked down tomatoes).  I wasn't getting any taste of cumin, chili powder or chiles at all.  Made with ground beef, I think the beef was cooked down so much that it really didn't have much of a presence or provide any discernable texture.  Definitely the sweetest and tangiest chili I've ever tried and I just don't think that is how chili should be.  I was looking for more layers and depth of flavor that just wasn't there.  We both thought that it seemed to lean closer to a marinara sauce than to a chili.

Perhaps Roadfooder Cosmos could help out on this as he frequents the Syracuse location.    When I wouild get this chili in Syracuse, I remember it tasting different; spicier and bolder.  I wonder if they have changed the recipe for the NYC location, changed the recipe altogether, or am I just looking back fondly on it all and my taste buds have simply changed? 

The pulled pork sandwich.  I didn't try this, but brought some back for my girlfriend as I had hit a "wall" about 1/3 of the way into this meal.  I realized I can do multiple stops, but I really have to pick at small portions if I'm going to be doing this.  Full portions are just too much.

The Bar-B-Que Brisket, Bacon, & Swiss sandwich.  These elements came together nicely, even though the brisket was a wee bit on the fatty side on this day.  I'd put that bacon up there against Peter Luger's anyday!!  I'd love to see the Dinosaur offer it as an apppetizer or side!

I reaaly do love their french fries and they are some of the best that I have had in the city.  Always crispy/creamy with good potato flavor, skin-on and perfectly salted. 

I'm more of a vinegar slaw kinda guy, but their mayo based slaw is bright, crunchy and moist without being too drippy. 

We grabbed a 1/4 rack of ribs to share and they were excellent as always. 

I took some of the Syracuse Style salt potatoes for a little taste of home and they didn't dissapoint.  Salty and buttery, these were great.

One of my favorite sides at the Dino is the Carrot-Raisin Salad.  I can fool myself into thinking I'm eating healthy and it tastes really good too.  Crunchy carrots, creamy mayo and sweet raisins provide a welcome counterpoint to the rich meats.

The cool moment of the day came when: 1.) We ran into my friend Cheryl, who was waitressing there that day, and 2.) When the long table in the back broke out into song repeatedly and we found out they were a group of French winemakers who were having a heckuva grand time!  They hoisted their drinking glasses many times in what was reminiscient of a German beer hall sing along.  I wish I could have recorded it as I found it to be powerful and moving.

post edited by billyboy - 2009/03/30 23:26:06

16 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7827
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/03/30 23:06:24 (permalink)
    WOW!  What a neat thing to be able to do.

I love that chili on the half shell.  Artistic chili!

Tank you for sharing it with us.
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/03/30 23:18:00 (permalink)
    Great report, I always like seeing your New York reports.

That Chili dish sure looks good, it's a shame it wasn't so exciting on the tastebuds!

I really gotta stop reading these reports before bedtime, that beef rib has made me hungry! lol
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/03/31 00:04:25 (permalink)
    Great report Billy!  That sandwich with the brisket and bacon  looked fantastic.

Thanks!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6236
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/03/31 01:42:46 (permalink)
    Wow, what a great report. I like those plates at the second stop,The Dinosaur!!!That sandwich is to die for...and that carrot salad is a great side.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2979
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/03/31 08:45:31 (permalink)
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. the captions were short, descriptive, and to the point, and the pictures (even the dark ones) were also descriptive and unfussy, and great to look at. You have me hankerin' for Q at 8:30 in the morning.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/03/31 09:52:47 (permalink)
    Nice report billboy, with some excellent photos.  I love your trips to the NYC BBQ joints.

I just looked up the Texas Red Chili in the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook.  For 4 pounds of meat, they add only 3 tablespoons of ground chiles, and 2 teaspoons of cumin.  That's pretty mild, to me.  I would triple the cumin.  They also use brown sugar, cinnamon and bay leaves. 

If the recipe is still like the one in the 2001 cookbook, I can see where it might not be what one would expect.

What's your favorite of the NYC BBQ parlors now?
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/03/31 11:34:54 (permalink)
    Beautiful as usual billy.  I wonder if they don't have the same person making the chili all the time at Dinosaur.  Their ribs really do look great though.

That 'dirt' taste is just what black eyed peas taste like if they're underseasoned.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/04/01 12:45:29 (permalink)
    Great report and pictures as usual.  You've got me hankering (hungering?) to take the relatively short drive over to the Dinosaur BBQ in Rochester.  Thanks!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/04/01 23:58:45 (permalink)
    Your photos have made me really hungry for some good que, which works out well since tomorrow night I'll be down at McClard's BBQ  in Hot Springs AR; the ribs there are supposed to be among the best. 
    Slim Strummer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/04/02 00:58:11 (permalink)
    Billyboy, your trip reports continue to astound and amaze.  Maybe because I love the city but maybe because you are so good at this. 

Thanks again.
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/04/02 12:40:40 (permalink)
    Sure wish there was a Dinosaur here in Sarasota County. Maybe I'll contact them and request one.  Mmmm!
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/04/02 13:01:24 (permalink)
    Don, Dinosaur is still my favorite of the NYC joints I have tried so far.  For me, it's a really solid place with a lot of hits and only a few misses.  The atmosphere is always fun and I've wound up dancing along with the band some nights and running into some interesting characters on a few visits. The price is really good too and cheaper than most other places in the city. 

Slim, thanks so much for the most kind words.  I am a mere padawan and take my cue from many others who have greatly influenced me over the years.  Yeah, Mssrs. and Mme Ayersian, Wanderingjew, bufferbuster and The Travelin' Man, I'm talkin' bout you!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/04/03 05:48:46 (permalink)
    billyboy: Thanks for the BBQ advice. 

I used Google Maps Street View to look at the front of Dinosaur BBQ.  I can't believe they managed to find/create a place like that in Manhattan!  35 years ago, that was a pretty rough area, I believe.  How is it now?
    RedJim64
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/04/03 08:42:29 (permalink)
    Wow...brisket & bacon & Swiss. I'm hungry!
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/04/14 13:03:19 (permalink)
    Billy, I haven't had Harlem's chili, but I am a fan of their chili and Syracuse's is not what you described having in Harlem...maybe someone new on the chili line....I wish they would serve the Texas Red in their cook book along side the AK chili.

As for the halfshell, its still served smothered here...I prefer the pulled pork and black beans version myself...less messy, and I can eat enough pulled pork...I once saw  a guy eating a version at the bar which substituted rice for the chips...looked good..

Great to hear about the French singing in the restaurant...That's truely a sign of a happy bunch of campers and entirely appropriate to the Dino experience.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:Pigtrippin' in New York City (with pics!) 2009/04/14 13:15:16 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Nice report billboy, with some excellent photos.  I love your trips to the NYC BBQ joints.

I just looked up the Texas Red Chili in the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook.  For 4 pounds of meat, they add only 3 tablespoons of ground chiles, and 2 teaspoons of cumin.  That's pretty mild, to me.  I would triple the cumin.  They also use brown sugar, cinnamon and bay leaves. 

If the recipe is still like the one in the 2001 cookbook, I can see where it might not be what one would expect.

What's your favorite of the NYC BBQ parlors now?
    Don, that recipe, while not spicey hot is incredibly flavorful, and one of my all time favorite dishes. I suggest you cook it up along to the recipe and give it a taste, then spice it up if you like the next time. The key elements in that recipe are the cinnamon stick, and the finish with oregano, cilantro and lime...its an awsome aroma and flavor.. The only thing I change is I use chuck steak rather than sirloin, and braise it a little longer until its tender.
    The cilantro/oregano/lime finish

Texas Red Chili

This does not sound like what Billyboy was describing. Dino Syracuse serves the AK (asskicking) chili which is a ground beef and bean dish. I think its what people expect when they order chili so they stay w/ it. The AK chili I've had is very flavorful but not too spicey, zippy but not too much.

post edited by Cosmos - 2009/04/14 13:19:16
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1